Affeks

So when will Izumo and Yamato get their HE shells back on their 155mms?

10 comments in this topic

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,818 posts
6,921 battles

So I was wondering, german BBs also get AP for their casemate secondaries, which is up to Bayern at tier 6, but once they hit tier 7 with turreted 150 mms they get HE. I find this totally okay, but Izumo and Yamato's turreted 155mms doesn't get HE. Why is that? 

Also german BBs tier 7-10 has a much better secondary placement in terms of being able to fire straight forward or back, while Yamato and Izumo has to go broadside to make more than just one turret shoot. Yamato fortunately has a 3x155mm turret fore and aft, but since it shoots HE it is almost useless.

I guess the thought was that german BBs should have the best secondaries as a trait of some sort, but even if Yamato and Izumo get their HE it won't make that much difference and german BBs will still have the best secondaries, but the change would make the game make more sense. 

Turreted secondaries=HE

Casemate secondaries=AP

I guess exceptions could be made for premium ships, such as Warspite, but in general why not just be consistent with game design?

Players
1,648 posts
12,122 battles

Ever since my 155mm Yamato secondary caused a detonation on a Tirpitz I would not want it to change to HE.

I really like AP secondaries anyway. They do not cause fires but still knock out some modules and, unlike HE secondaries, they actually deal some shell damage, even to DDs due to the small caliber.

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,269 posts
7,428 battles

Ever since my 155mm Yamato secondary caused a detonation on a Tirpitz I would not want it to change to HE.

So how much more gold do I need to buy to get rng at this level?

Players
2,207 posts
7,425 battles

So I was wondering, german BBs also get AP for their casemate secondaries, which is up to Bayern at tier 6, but once they hit tier 7 with turreted 150 mms they get HE. I find this totally okay, but Izumo and Yamato's turreted 155mms doesn't get HE. Why is that? 

Also german BBs tier 7-10 has a much better secondary placement in terms of being able to fire straight forward or back, while Yamato and Izumo has to go broadside to make more than just one turret shoot. Yamato fortunately has a 3x155mm turret fore and aft, but since it shoots HE it is almost useless.

I guess the thought was that german BBs should have the best secondaries as a trait of some sort, but even if Yamato and Izumo get their HE it won't make that much difference and german BBs will still have the best secondaries, but the change would make the game make more sense. 

Turreted secondaries=HE

Casemate secondaries=AP

I guess exceptions could be made for premium ships, such as Warspite, but in general why not just be consistent with game design?

1st: AP secondaries from Izumo and Yamato actually can deal very good damage on BB's superestructures, and to cruisers....

2nd: Kürfurst's secondaries cannot fire straight forward, although their position. At least the Yamato have 2 of the dual purpose and one of the Mogami's 155 is in the perfect position to do this

Edited by Comodoro_Allande

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,818 posts
6,921 battles

I really like AP secondaries anyway. They do not cause fires but still knock out some modules and, unlike HE secondaries, they actually deal some shell damage, even to DDs due to the small caliber.

lol I have never detonated anything with a secondary, plus I bet my money that detonation is one of those buggy detonations (se benson detonating NC with he and a shitton of other gifs that you can find). At first I thought I liked AP secondaries, then I looked at the stats and shells hit/dmg I see HE deals on average more damage and that is not counting fires. For example I go secondary build on Amagi just for lolz, but even tho Amagi has more 140mms than 127mms the 127mms still deal more damage even without counting the fire damage. Lastly I've seen AP secondary shells bounce off DDs, Ive never seen them get pen dmg on them, and I've seen them hit but deal no dmg even without bouncing. I play a lot of Warspite and I can testify that 152mm HE is miles better than German 150mm AP or IJN 140mm AP...

1st: AP secondaries from Izumo and Yamato actually can deal very good damage on BB's superestructures, and to cruisers....

2nd: Kürfurst's secondaries cannot fire straight forward, although their position. At least the Yamato have 2 of the dual purpose and one of the Mogami's 155 is in the perfect position to do this

1st: HE deals usually more damage to BB superstructures since no overpen and any high tier cruiser angles toward you so those 155mms just bounce all over the place

2nd: GK and other german BBs still have far better arcs than Izumo and Yamato, Izumo cant fire any secondaries straight forward in fact you need to angle a bit to even get one turret shooting. Also the Germans even have far better shell velocities and trajectories so they hit more often.

Players
751 posts
3,009 battles

My Yam is set up with a secondary build and it decimates anything that gets close to it.......in one case It saved me when I got target fixated buy killing a poor DD :playing:

So I'd say that currently its fine as it is.

Players
2,207 posts
7,425 battles

1st: HE deals usually more damage to BB superstructures since no overpen and any high tier cruiser angles toward you so those 155mms just bounce all over the place

2nd: GK and other german BBs still have far better arcs than Izumo and Yamato, Izumo cant fire any secondaries straight forward in fact you need to angle a bit to even get one turret shooting. Also the Germans even have far better shell velocities and trajectories so they hit more often.

I prefer to have some AP to have versatility and punish both bb's and cruiser broadsides, but I think it's just a preference. The thing with german HE secondaries is that they have very low damage compared to japanese ones. It's very easy in a training room to win with only secs in 1 vs1 a Kürfurst with a Yamato. Find another player and test it. It's weird but the "all HE" of the germans can´t win against the old Yamato....

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,818 posts
6,921 battles

I prefer to have some AP to have versatility and punish both bb's and cruiser broadsides, but I think it's just a preference. The thing with german HE secondaries is that they have very low damage compared to japanese ones. It's very easy in a training room to win with only secs in 1 vs1 a Kürfurst with a Yamato. Find another player and test it. It's weird but the "all HE" of the germans can´t win against the old Yamato....

The thing with AP secondary being able to punish broadsides is highly unlikely, an ap shell that hits the main armorbelt or turret on a bb is going to bounce and the 155 still bleeds speed fast so its penetration value on those 10km ranges (which is the closest anything would show a broadside) the ap penetration values is already down the drain. 

Players
2,207 posts
7,425 battles

The thing with AP secondary being able to punish broadsides is highly unlikely, an ap shell that hits the main armorbelt or turret on a bb is going to bounce and the 155 still bleeds speed fast so its penetration value on those 10km ranges (which is the closest anything would show a broadside) the ap penetration values is already down the drain. 

I'm talking about going almost melee. At 6 km the 155's can penetrate easily the Kürfurst belt or CITADEL (doing it's max damage, but didn't give the ribbon ) a broadside Des Moines. Of course, out of going in a suicide charge, for +8 km of course HE secs are way better....