Kandly

Guide: British Cruisers

806 comments in this topic

Players
371 posts
6,661 battles

Captains,

As we all know, the British cruisers are here, and, in order for you to fully enjoy sailing these beauties to victory, we have prepared a special guide! :playing:

Find out everything you need to know about the newest cruiser branch below:

Overall

These ships have a unique and quite challenging gameplay style. Overall, it doesn’t require you to learn a specific playstyle that’s radically different from other lightly armored cruisers, but puts a greater emphasis on the main challenges that cruisers face. While you can still be effective against ANY target you meet in the heat of battle, these ships will highlight the rock-paper-scissors principle more than others.

Engaging your nemesis can still end in victory, but this will require you to make sure that the battlefield conditions are right and that you give it your best. Anything less than that will quickly teach you about the painful downsides of these light cruisers.

Overall, these ships are forces to be reckoned with when played to their full potential. We chose to build this line because we wanted to challenge users to try out new gameplay mechanics and approaches. After all, the nature of our game is to constantly evolve and we are sure to continue this way in the future as well.

The Peculiarities of British Cruisers

On the whole, the ships in the new branch are excellent for hunting destroyers. Their low detectability and rapid-firing guns with unique AP shells make them efficient in encounters with destroyers, the “natural” opponents of cruisers. However, their firepower and protection makes these ships inefficient in direct confrontations with enemy heavy cruisers, let alone encounters with battleships.

Their excellent torpedo armament and the ability to set smoke screens will help these ships cause damage to heavily protected targets and aid in your escape.
The Tier X ship, Minotaur, was the epitome of light cruiser design at the beginning of the post-war period. In addition to her compact dimensions, maneuverability and low detectability (especially with smoke screens), this cruiser boasts an amazing fire rate, great torpedoes and her dual-purpose guns provide a superior AA engagement area radius. However, she is vulnerable in direct encounters with heavy cruisers and battleships due to her weak armor.

What is the most unique aspect of this line, in one or two sentences?

I would say specific smoke screens, good heal consumable from Tier III and above, unique rapid-fire AP and powerful torpedoes, but extremely fragile. These ships require skill and awareness, and with that, they will be rewarding.

See extra details below:

•    Starting from Tier II, the gun calibre is 152 mm for all ships in this branch. On the one hand, this means that these guns have a high firing rate; on the other, their ballistic properties and penetration are not top notch and the maximum AP/HE shell damage is low
•    All ships in this branch only AP shells. However, these shells will boast excellent ricochet angles and low fuse arming delay time, which will significantly decrease the number of ricochets and over-penetrating hits
•    Really great maneuverability is one of the main traits of this branch
•    The cruisers have average or relatively low speed, but their engines have great dynamic properties in terms of acceleration and deceleration
•    Starting from Tier III, all ships in this branch feature torpedo tubes with decent characteristics: The torpedo range and speed as well as damage from torpedoes make these torpedo tubes not just an auxiliary armament but a weapon that performs equally to the ship's main battery
•    Moreover, torpedoes can be launched one by one, which provides new tactical opportunities because players will be able to choose the direction for every individual torpedo when launching
•    Their hulls lack heavy armour protection and have a relatively high beam. In contrast to their counterparts of the same type, this results in fewer over-penetrating hits (with minimum damage) received from large calibre shells at close range
•    The ships have relatively compact dimensions and low detectability
•    The Defensive AA Fire consumable is not available on the ships in this branch. The basic efficiency of the ships' AA defenses is low (with the exception of Tier IX–X ships equipped with powerful dual-purpose guns that have a long range)
•    Starting from Tier V, the Smoke Generator consumable is available on the ships in this branch. It has high area of effect, but low activation time
•    Starting from Tier VIII, the Radar consumable is available, and it can be used instead of Smoke Generator consumable
•    Repair party (heal) consumable is available from Tier III. Moreover, from Tier VIII it has increased efficiency, compared to the standard cruiser heal

Can we have a comprehensive list of all the pros and cons of every British cruiser in the line?

The branch is quite unified in terms of its pros and cons. There may be some differences in torpedo armament (progression) and IX and X AA is actually quite decent - as Neptune and Minotaur have dual-purpose main turrets, which serve as AA. But, as a whole, pros and cons can be found above.

Which ship would be considered the “prize” of the line? Example: Bismarck for German Battleships, Minekaze or Shimekaze for IJN Destroyers or Iowa for US Navy Battleships

We would say Fiji (Tier VII) and Minotaur (Tier X). Fiji is a deadly combination of 4x3 fast reloading caliber and smoke screens. Minotaur is a minigun with great torpedoes, smoke screen and concealment.

With the lack of HE, what are the best tactics for taking counter-battery attacking BBs?

These guys should avoid battleships or take them on undetected. They are indeed very fragile. Obviously, you can deploy smoke screens, fire torpedoes and retreat. However, if you MUST face a battleship, shoot its superstructure, bow and aft – the parts with the least armor. Unique AP shells will most likely deal some decent damage, but, if you expose yourself, you will be punished.

Additional stuff:

•    Fragility is the main disadvantage of this branch
•    Don’t fear torpedoes whilst in your cruiser, they can get out of this tricky situation with their excellent maneuverability
•    Don’t fear HE shells either - it's easy to escape into smoke or out of visible range, and heal a decent amount
•    And carriers will have a hard time hitting them, once again thanks to maneuverability
•    BUT they should fear the threat of APs very much… Very. Much. 
•    This is why it is extremely important to be aware of every enemy that can shoot you with APs at any given time.
•    It's hard enough as it requires very good understanding of strategy and prediction of enemy actions. 

How 2 smoke

British cruiser smoke generators are very specific. The time for smoke screens to deploy is very, very short (7 seconds) and it is very important to slow down to 12-14 knots before activating this consumable, otherwise it will be wasted.
On the other hand, the smoke cloud is larger than others, and you can carefully maneuver inside this zone, due to their extremely good handling.

UKCAs vs other classes (Tier VI+)

Against Carriers:
Maybe you will wreck airplanes. Maybe they will wreck you. Nothing specific. It’s like flipping a coin. :coin:

Against Battleships:
Battleships are the worst target for the British cruisers. You should avoid direct confrontation with them. Smoke is your best friend, use torpedoes spam to scare off battleships. You'll be able to do a good amount of damage if hitting superstructures.

Against Cruisers:
Your concealment and gun traverse time gives you enough initiative to decide when to engage with others. British cruisers rarely start the fight, they join the fight. You should try to attack targets that are already engaged with other targets, and keep an eye if they decide to switch to you. You should be less concerned with HE shells (you can heal that) but APs can sometimes mean an instant ticket to port.

Against Destroyers:

Fun. No destroyer is a foe for British cruisers, with great turret traverse time and rate of fire wrecking destroyers is very easy, especially when you are close enough. You are very well protected against torpedoes as you will almost always have hydro consumable available and with British cruisers maneuverability combined, they are almost invincible to torpedoes.

Good luck in your future battles and see you on the high seas, Captains!

Best,

Kandly

We want an official answer from you.Where did you come up with that review?Here is another question :Do you even play this game to see how situational is the ap?You know about angles and basic game mechanics?You are here because of us ,the players,u continue to inovate the game because of our money we pull out from the pockets.You are getting youre paycheck out of our pockets.I dont want to have to be in the situation to chill at night ,and maybe i want to be the average joe having fun in a RN cl.But i cant! I cant because i need to tryhard in order to get results.You gave us Belfast with he and a huge array of option.You know what is this that you created?A starting point to the fully monetization of the game where if u want a good combat u have to pay.So stop hiding reading the forum silently ,trying to analize youre data and start playing the game .Youre review in a nutshell:If u give someone a piece of s*** covered in chocolate ,guess what its still a piece of s***.The silver tongue wont help you im afraid.So stand up and please give an answer to the comunity.Behaiving like u didnt know this post was here wont help because once youre post gets quoted you will be notified.Best of luck ,we expect an answer.

Have a nice day ,like we have the RN cruisers!

ps:yes i might a difficult guy ,2 4 10 complains are ok ,but when a large number of people complain its not ok

Edited by Brkdelta
  • Cool 3

Beta Tester
893 posts
8,685 battles

Akula's guide to British Cruisers:

1. Admire ship in tech tree.

2. Do not buy.

3. Take out another ship and shoot at British cruisers, farm XP, credits and tears from people trying to play them.

4. Use XP and credits to progress up other lines.

5. After game discuss with friends if the development team are a) drunk, b) on drugs c) Hate the British, d) Have sick sense of humour, e).Idiots, f). All of the afore mentioned.

6. Ask yourself if you should really fund these people or support the game?

7. Look for new game to play.

• Cool 9

[HEROS]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,574 posts
11,488 battles

Ooooooor, you can try and learn how to play them, instead of mindlessly bashing how bad they are?

rBLTjgX.jpgvHr4bBm.jpgnusWK8K.jpg

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters, Weekend Tester
4,269 posts
823 battles

Ooooooor, you can try and learn how to play them, instead of mindlessly bashing how bad they are?

If you are going to come out with BS, try posting Screenshots of 1. more than 1 game and 2. of tiers 3, 4 and 5 as well.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,864 posts
2,152 battles

No they don't. Dont spread false information.The low tiers are getting outgunned by DD. The medium tiers are just as potent in damaging DD as others. The high tiers are meh at best cause you get citadelled by a freaking Gearing firing AP.

DD's are your worst enemy in this line due to the lack of HE which is truly ironic considering this line should be the worst enemy of DD.

I was able to do just fine against DD's when I was testing the ships. The RN AP shells have a special 2 setting fuse mechanism that allows them to arm and detonate even when striking lightly armored targets, thereby reducing the chance of overpenetrations.

Good article. Why not post this on main www?

So if you like Atlanta gameplay (or even more Flint) you will enjoy RN.

We will, we just received the guide quite late and need it translated before posting it, it will probably appear there on Monday.

Don't engage battleships he says.

That's so easy isn't it, when every match has between 5-7 battleships in each team. I would imagine the only people happy about this line of comedy-boats ships are Pensacola captains, as they are no longer the first thing everyone wants to shoot at.

If you pay attention to the map and use your excellent concealment to your advantage, you can easily avoid close encounters with most battleships, I am much more scared of CA's.

We want an official answer from you.Where did you come up with that review?Here is another question :Do you even play this game to see how situational is the ap?You know about angles and basic game mechanics?You are here because of us ,the players,u continue to inovate the game because of our money we pull out from the pockets.You are getting youre paycheck out of our pockets.I dont want to have to be in the situation to chill at night ,and maybe i want to be the average joe having fun in a RN cl.But i cant! I cant because i need to tryhard in order to get results.You gave us Belfast with he and a huge array of option.You know what is this that you created?A starting point to the fully monetization of the game where if u want a good combat u have to pay.So stop hiding reading the forum silently ,trying to analize youre data and start playing the game .Youre review in a nutshell:If u give someone a piece of s*** covered in chocolate ,guess what its still a piece of s***.The silver tongue wont help you im afraid.So stand up and please give an answer to the comunity.Behaiving like u didnt know this post was here wont help because once youre post gets quoted you will be notified.Best of luck ,we expect an answer.

Have a nice day ,like we have the RN cruisers!

ps:yes i might a difficult guy ,2 4 10 complains are ok ,but when a large number of people complain its not ok

First of all let me thank you for your well balanced, constructive and helpful criticism. [sarcasm Alert!]

Kandly of course did not write an in-depth guide on how to play RN cruisers in her third week at Wargaming, although I would like to point out that she has probably played them more than you have.

The guide was put together by the development team, foremost among them Sub_Octavian.

If everyone could put their pitchforks down and actually go play the cruisers, you might end up liking them, I certainly did. 

MRcXn8M.jpg

• Cool 3

Players
371 posts
6,661 battles

Dropsiq btw congrats for youre results...for the most experienced players they can work but how about the casual ones that consist of 70% of all players.Dont tell me you want in the team 6 RN cl that rush and die in the first 4 min?

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,864 posts
2,152 battles

Dropsiq btw congrats for youre results...for the most experienced players they can work but how about the casual ones that consist of 70% of all players.Dont tell me you want in the team 6 RN cl that rush and die in the first 4 min?

The RN cruisers have a very high skill-cap and we would absolutely not recommend them for new or very casual players. 

Players
371 posts
6,661 battles

The RN cruisers have a very high skill-cap and we would absolutely not recommend them for new or very casual players. 

Thank you for the answers,have a nice day!

Edited by Brkdelta

[-AWF-]
Players
1,195 posts
6,371 battles

Naturally. And you just "happen" to choose the RN for these glorious experiments? Did you not understand how all the players that have waited for RN would take that?

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
4,574 posts
11,488 battles

If you are going to come out with BS, try posting Screenshots of 1. more than 1 game and 2. of tiers 3, 4 and 5 as well. 

As you can see, those are 3 screens from 3 consecutive games in three different cruisers. All of them with very decent results. Obviously, it's not representative, but the amount of totally unproven whine that occured here, is just ridiculous. And screw tiers 3, 4, 5. All the fun is higher, sealclubbing is on those tiers. Not to mention, that battling cruisers with the same cruisers on tiers 3 and 4 is hardly worth any interest when we're talking about balance/strenght of certain class.

So, instead of whining like a poor sod, you might try to actually progress and try the fun stuff for yourself? From what I heard, yeah, lower tiers seem meh/bad, but who cares? It's like 20 games and you're getting Leander already. 

Thank you, but they're nothing spectacular. But note the consistency - three games with three similar ships, all of them above 80k damage. RN is a hard line, that is sure. But thank god it is hard. Why do we have to have more Zao's? Zao gameplay is so flat and boring it makes me puke, despite it being a very strong CA. So we have a very good line of CL's, but it actually need's experience, knowledge and, more important, it can be played in different ways. I'm sick of this whining how subpar they're cause omg they don't have HE?! Edinburgh is just unfair with 9 km camo. And with 64.8 sec torpedo reload.

I don't know, for me, in my opinion, I'm very surprised how great they turned out, when I was super worried about them. 

Edited by Dropsiq
  • Cool 7

4,269 posts
823 battles

As you can see, those are 3 screens from 3 consecutive games in three different cruisers. All of them with very decent results. Obviously, it's not representative, but the amount of totally unproven whine that occured here, is just ridiculous. And screw tiers 3, 4, 5. All the fun is higher, sealclubbing is on those tiers. Not to mention, that battling cruisers with the same cruisers on tiers 3 and 4 is hardly worth any interest when we're talking about balance/strenght of certain class.

So, instead of whining like a poor sod, you might try to actually progress and try the fun stuff for yourself? From what I heard, yeah, lower tiers seem meh/bad, but who cares? It's like 20 games and you're getting Leander already. 

Do tier 3, 4 and 5 as well, then you'll see why we say what we say. The first 5 tiers are terrible when it comes to cruisers, and are not on par with cruisers of the same tier.

So please, do Tiers 3, 4 and 5 as well or **** off and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Edited by Commodore_Ahsoka_Tano
  • Cool 4

Beta Tester
16 posts

Why were they designed with this play style?

A lot of people may want to play their particular nations navy for fun, and instead after waiting over a year we get this.

I would have thought introducing a new and a popular requested nation, to the game would have been a great selling point to increase the player base, but this is more likely to deter new players.

• Cool 3

[HEROS]
4,574 posts
11,488 battles

I have no intention in ******* off, as well as I don't have any intention of going below tier VI for next two weeks. And again, why should I care that Danae which I would grind in what, 5 games is bad? I much more care about tiers VI+ that will be used on rankeds, team battles, clan wars, and tier X battles. Why should I go and say, DAMN THOSE WG BASTARDS! they totally borked a ship that I play 4 times and never play again.

LuLz Logic.

4,269 posts
823 battles
[edited]
Edited by BigBadVuk
This post has been moderated by Wg staff member due to inappropriate content
  • Cool 4

Players
236 posts
11,140 battles

At the moment, have been trying up to Tier 5 and I can say that the AP is useless, not even on some broadside cruisers you can't citadel them but they can citadel you and finish you with 2 salvos (against cruisers). To don't talk about being angled against battleships and they citadel you by their dispersion.

If you have some good looking stats and you want to screw it up, then just play these awsome cruisers. I'm doing maybe 2-3 battles above 50k (Tier 5) but the 5-6 battles I'm doing 20k or even less because of the kind RNG.

UK Cruiser line will be the one with less avg damage from WOWS, I'm sure of that.

Edited by GioIonutz

[-AWF-]
Players
1,195 posts
6,371 battles

I have no intention in ******* off, as well as I don't have any intention of going below tier VI for next two weeks. And again, why should I care that Danae which I would grind in what, 5 games is bad? I much more care about tiers VI+ that will be used on rankeds, team battles, clan wars, and tier X battles. Why should I go and say, DAMN THOSE WG BASTARDS! they totally borked a ship that I play 4 times and never play again.

LuLz Logic.

Well, if you reasoned a bit futher you might understand that not every player is as good as you, and that it is not just you who have been looking forward to RN. The ships might be great for the best players, but why not make a line that is easy to play for everyone? 

Oh, sorry, that is reserved for the Russian ships.

• Cool 2

[HEROS]
4,574 posts
11,488 battles

If you are not willing to do under tier 6, please **** off and keep your damned opinions to yourself. 

Nah mate. You can froth and keep asking me to ride myself tonight as much as you want. But it doesn't change a single statement I made.

First of all, you built your statements on very few games, yet they're very definite. And yeah, you indeed do terrible in them. But you also do terrible in Kirov. Is Kirov the same garbage as Emerald? 

Second - you generalise on five low tiers that whole line is garbage, whereas I argue, that low tiers are much more less important then higher tiers, which in fact are a ships worth keeping in port for further activities, when you ended grinding. 

Third - I provided a proof, not very strong, as I also admited it's not representative of what this line might be, that those ships can and will perform very well when driven by a capable player.

Fourth, I didn't insult you even once, and you keep telling me to **** off because I disagree with you?

So keep you unskilled observations to yourself and git gud m8? That's how we should discuss things? Or should I join the bandwagon and bash WG for making a line that BB players would find unplayable cause you have to use brains?

Well, if you reasoned a bit futher you might understand that not every player is as good as you, and that it is not just you who have been looking forward to RN. The ships might be great for the best players, but why not make a line that is easy to play for everyone? 

Oh, sorry, that is reserved for the Russian ships.

Yes, I understand that. But let's say, that I personally, estimate that I can go with each ship around 80k average up to tier IX when RoF gets better. So the average player would do what, 40 - 50k? That's still decent server average for those ships, similar to other. 

Now I understand that not every player is a hardcore cruiser player and therefore it might be hard/frustrating for him to play those. I'd also be happy if lower tiers were more enjoyable. But it's hardly the reason to whine so much, it's rather place for constructive discussion. Remember how Karlsruhe was so bad? It was changed. Remember how Yorck was terribad and Konigsberg and Nurnberg engines were exploding left and right? That was changed. So instead of such pathetic whine that whole line is garbage, when it isn't, it seems very strong, let's make it worth to read? And indeed, maybe provide advices? 

Edited by Dropsiq
  • Cool 7

Sailing Hamster
6,336 posts
4,138 battles

This. X1000

Part of the problem though. As I said elsewhere. I can make them work. I can find success. But I can't play lazy. If I want a game where I can chat and listen to music while playing. I'll play a German BB. These I cannot afford to make a mistake. Not once. 

It gets more forgiving at higher tiers with more HP and better heal. Plus you know what you're doing by then. 

In fact RNCL are Luke high tier gameplay at all tiers :)

They are excellent dd hunters. Comically so at high tier. Gearings will last about two good salvoes. RUDDs are harder because they stay back and are fast. However we all know RUDD are light cruisers. :D

Now I say it's a problem because there are a lot of RN fans who want to play RN. But they aren't all skilled to be able to do it. I would like to have seen someone else take the "unique hit but then I wonder... who else?  This way I suppose you need to be good to be British. 

• Cool 2

4,269 posts
823 battles

Nah mate. First of all, you can froth and keep asking me to ride myself tonight as much as you want. But it doesn't change a single statement I made.

First of all, you built your statements on very few games, yet they're very definite. And yeah, you indeed do terrible in them. But you also do terrible in Kirov. Is Kirov the same garbage as Emerald? 

Second - you generalise on five low tiers that whole line is garbage, whereas I argue, that low tiers are much more less important then higher tiers, which in fact are a ships worth keeping in port for further activities, when you ended grinding. 

Third - I provided a proof, not very strong, as I also admited it's not representative of what this line might be, that those ships can and will perform very well when driven by a capable player.

Fourth, I didn't insult you even once, and you keep telling me to **** off because I disagree with you?

So keep you unskilled observations to yourself and git gud m8? That's how we should discuss things? Or should I join the bandwagon and bash WG for making a line that BB players would find unplayable cause you have to use brains?

You actually misunderstand my comments. I never said the ENTIRE line was crap, in fact I was also using a bit of satire, with some exaggeration. Also I've never really took anytime on learning to play the Kirov, I've not taken the ship out much when grinding through the tiers is what I want to do.

Also, if you are not willing to play Tier 1-5 and only Tier 6+ then your opinions are bigoted. And, you might want to learn that telling someone to **** off is not an insult, just a less polite way of telling someone to go away.

Sailing Hamster
6,336 posts
4,138 battles

You actually misunderstand my comments. I never said the ENTIRE line was crap, in fact I was also using a bit of satire, with some exaggeration. Also I've never really took anytime on learning to play the Kirov, I've not taken the ship out much when grinding through the tiers is what I want to do.

Also, if you are not willing to play Tier 1-5 and only Tier 6+ then your opinions are bigoted. And, you might want to learn that telling someone to **** off is not an insult, just a less polite way of telling someone to go away.

Biased not bigoted :) but yeah the line is half good half very hard. So arguments will happen. It is good that Edinburgh and Minotaur are good ships. The tier 8 will get a lot of play in teams and ranked. The tier x of course is the end game. 

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

Captains,

As we all know, the British cruisers are here, and, in order for you to fully enjoy sailing these beauties to victory, we have prepared a special guide! :playing:

Find out everything you need to know about the newest cruiser branch below:

Overall

These ships have a unique and quite challenging gameplay style. Overall, it doesn’t require you to learn a specific playstyle that’s radically different from other lightly armored cruisers, but puts a greater emphasis on the main challenges that cruisers face. While you can still be effective against ANY target you meet in the heat of battle, these ships will highlight the rock-paper-scissors principle more than others.

Engaging your nemesis can still end in victory, but this will require you to make sure that the battlefield conditions are right and that you give it your best. Anything less than that will quickly teach you about the painful downsides of these light cruisers.

Overall, these ships are forces to be reckoned with when played to their full potential. We chose to build this line because we wanted to challenge users to try out new gameplay mechanics and approaches. After all, the nature of our game is to constantly evolve and we are sure to continue this way in the future as well.

The Peculiarities of British Cruisers

On the whole, the ships in the new branch are excellent for hunting destroyers. Their low detectability and rapid-firing guns with unique AP shells make them efficient in encounters with destroyers, the “natural” opponents of cruisers. However, their firepower and protection makes these ships inefficient in direct confrontations with enemy heavy cruisers, let alone encounters with battleships.

Their excellent torpedo armament and the ability to set smoke screens will help these ships cause damage to heavily protected targets and aid in your escape.
The Tier X ship, Minotaur, was the epitome of light cruiser design at the beginning of the post-war period. In addition to her compact dimensions, maneuverability and low detectability (especially with smoke screens), this cruiser boasts an amazing fire rate, great torpedoes and her dual-purpose guns provide a superior AA engagement area radius. However, she is vulnerable in direct encounters with heavy cruisers and battleships due to her weak armor.

What is the most unique aspect of this line, in one or two sentences?

I would say specific smoke screens, good heal consumable from Tier III and above, unique rapid-fire AP and powerful torpedoes, but extremely fragile. These ships require skill and awareness, and with that, they will be rewarding.

See extra details below:

•    Starting from Tier II, the gun calibre is 152 mm for all ships in this branch. On the one hand, this means that these guns have a high firing rate; on the other, their ballistic properties and penetration are not top notch and the maximum AP/HE shell damage is low
•    All ships in this branch only AP shells. However, these shells will boast excellent ricochet angles and low fuse arming delay time, which will significantly decrease the number of ricochets and over-penetrating hits
•    Really great maneuverability is one of the main traits of this branch
•    The cruisers have average or relatively low speed, but their engines have great dynamic properties in terms of acceleration and deceleration
•    Starting from Tier III, all ships in this branch feature torpedo tubes with decent characteristics: The torpedo range and speed as well as damage from torpedoes make these torpedo tubes not just an auxiliary armament but a weapon that performs equally to the ship's main battery
•    Moreover, torpedoes can be launched one by one, which provides new tactical opportunities because players will be able to choose the direction for every individual torpedo when launching
•    Their hulls lack heavy armour protection and have a relatively high beam. In contrast to their counterparts of the same type, this results in fewer over-penetrating hits (with minimum damage) received from large calibre shells at close range
•    The ships have relatively compact dimensions and low detectability
•    The Defensive AA Fire consumable is not available on the ships in this branch. The basic efficiency of the ships' AA defenses is low (with the exception of Tier IX–X ships equipped with powerful dual-purpose guns that have a long range)
•    Starting from Tier V, the Smoke Generator consumable is available on the ships in this branch. It has high area of effect, but low activation time
•    Starting from Tier VIII, the Radar consumable is available, and it can be used instead of Smoke Generator consumable
•    Repair party (heal) consumable is available from Tier III. Moreover, from Tier VIII it has increased efficiency, compared to the standard cruiser heal

Can we have a comprehensive list of all the pros and cons of every British cruiser in the line?

The branch is quite unified in terms of its pros and cons. There may be some differences in torpedo armament (progression) and IX and X AA is actually quite decent - as Neptune and Minotaur have dual-purpose main turrets, which serve as AA. But, as a whole, pros and cons can be found above.

Which ship would be considered the “prize” of the line? Example: Bismarck for German Battleships, Minekaze or Shimekaze for IJN Destroyers or Iowa for US Navy Battleships

We would say Fiji (Tier VII) and Minotaur (Tier X). Fiji is a deadly combination of 4x3 fast reloading caliber and smoke screens. Minotaur is a minigun with great torpedoes, smoke screen and concealment.

With the lack of HE, what are the best tactics for taking counter-battery attacking BBs?

These guys should avoid battleships or take them on undetected. They are indeed very fragile. Obviously, you can deploy smoke screens, fire torpedoes and retreat. However, if you MUST face a battleship, shoot its superstructure, bow and aft – the parts with the least armor. Unique AP shells will most likely deal some decent damage, but, if you expose yourself, you will be punished.

Additional stuff:

•    Fragility is the main disadvantage of this branch
•    Don’t fear torpedoes whilst in your cruiser, they can get out of this tricky situation with their excellent maneuverability
•    Don’t fear HE shells either - it's easy to escape into smoke or out of visible range, and heal a decent amount
•    And carriers will have a hard time hitting them, once again thanks to maneuverability
•    BUT they should fear the threat of APs very much… Very. Much. 
•    This is why it is extremely important to be aware of every enemy that can shoot you with APs at any given time.
•    It's hard enough as it requires very good understanding of strategy and prediction of enemy actions. 

How 2 smoke

British cruiser smoke generators are very specific. The time for smoke screens to deploy is very, very short (7 seconds) and it is very important to slow down to 12-14 knots before activating this consumable, otherwise it will be wasted.
On the other hand, the smoke cloud is larger than others, and you can carefully maneuver inside this zone, due to their extremely good handling.

UKCAs vs other classes (Tier VI+)

Against Carriers:
Maybe you will wreck airplanes. Maybe they will wreck you. Nothing specific. It’s like flipping a coin. :coin:

Against Battleships:
Battleships are the worst target for the British cruisers. You should avoid direct confrontation with them. Smoke is your best friend, use torpedoes spam to scare off battleships. You'll be able to do a good amount of damage if hitting superstructures.

Against Cruisers:
Your concealment and gun traverse time gives you enough initiative to decide when to engage with others. British cruisers rarely start the fight, they join the fight. You should try to attack targets that are already engaged with other targets, and keep an eye if they decide to switch to you. You should be less concerned with HE shells (you can heal that) but APs can sometimes mean an instant ticket to port.

Against Destroyers:

Fun. No destroyer is a foe for British cruisers, with great turret traverse time and rate of fire wrecking destroyers is very easy, especially when you are close enough. You are very well protected against torpedoes as you will almost always have hydro consumable available and with British cruisers maneuverability combined, they are almost invincible to torpedoes.

Good luck in your future battles and see you on the high seas, Captains!

Best,

Kandly

Need down vote button for that - seriously are we talking about the same ships and game because the british cruisers are utter rubbish that have zero ability to carry and is completely dependant on the team to provide plenty of support and for the enemy to make serious mistakes?:hmm:

Really really bad decision to make the british ships with such a high skill floor as that gives those ships a very uncomfortable and frustrating playstyle for everyone playing them and scares away the new players that had waited to play WoWS when the first british line was released.

4,269 posts
823 battles

Biased not bigoted :) but yeah the line is half good half very hard. So arguments will happen. It is good that Edinburgh and Minotaur are good ships. The tier 8 will get a lot of play in teams and ranked. The tier x of course is the end game. 

The Tier 10 is what I got my sights on.

[HEROS]
4,574 posts
11,488 battles

You kinda did. But let's say I don't really care. More important, you have few games in Kirov, and you have the same few games in Emerald. It's the same situation in your other low tier cruisers. And you do similar damage and similar win ratios in them as well. So, I would guess, that every low tier cruiser you played is garbage and crap, and you didn't pay attention to LEARN them. But, somehow, this situation changes in this discusion, cause...?

They're not bigoted. They're different. Cause for me, the higher tiers are much more important then low tiers. I don't play on low tiers cause it's too easy. It's not a challenge. People are learning on low tiers, and me stomping them and sinking 6 ships alone will not help. I tend to go there for one or two battles a week. And again, I showed you clear argument, why it is more important, from my perspective and a lot of other players, that high tiers are good. Cause they will be played not only for grinding, but also for other purpose. You completely miss the fact, that after you end grinding Phoenix, there is no point to coming back to it unless it's super fun or you like that particular ship. Same with Caledon, Danae etc. 

I will just pass your explanation about "**** off" with silence. 

Beta Tester
5,081 posts
5,478 battles

Very good option to not reccomend this line for people, what spent lot of money on this game, well done

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,864 posts
2,152 battles

And, you might want to learn that telling someone to **** off is not an insult, just a less polite way of telling someone to go away.

Let me just step in here and clarify that this is indeed an insult. Should you wish to continue enjoying the privilege of smack-talking about ships with us here, I would refrain from using them in the future.

• Cool 1