You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Doughnut_Jimmy

British AP Issue

57 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
83 posts
2,970 battles

I have no problem with the RN having AP only,however what about module damage,

With HE as well as fires you can knock out engines,steering,torp tubes and guns,but with RN being AP only it

causes another issue.So as well as not being able to set fires and being subject to needing flattish angles to cause decent damage,

you also suffer from not being able to handicap enemy ships.

Maybe I have missed it and there might be modules knocked out,but so far I havent noticed.

Edited by Grunty_McFuttocks

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,414 posts
5,090 battles

You can, actually.

Have not played them myself yet. From what Ive seen on Flamus Videos you can damage guns other modules, but not as often as you do with HE ammo.

We will see, its just the first day and people need to learn stuff.

Players
68 posts
5,652 battles

AP shells can knock out modules, but they need a direct hit. I'v often seen citadel hits take out engines or normal hits take out turrets (wich often works better with AP since most turrets are armoured). The downside is, of course, you don't have a blast radius, so small targets like AA emplacements are unlikely to be damaged and destroyers won't have all of their stuff messed up by a single hit or even a near miss.

Players
317 posts
4,678 battles

You can, actually.

Have not played them myself yet. From what Ive seen on Flamus Videos you can damage guns other modules, but not as often as you do with HE ammo.

Then you are not qualified to comment until you have tried them.

I agree with OP - the AP only is horrible.  It is extremely difficult to do any meaningful damage to anything which is broadside onto you and poorly armored.  with the inability to cause fire damage of any type it severely limits your ability to do any meaningful damage throughout the game and leaves you sidelined to situational damage if your lucky.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
83 posts
2,970 battles

Also having just been in a game with 2 carriers,you can't set fire to them to stop them launching planes,which was rather handy if you had HE.

• Cool 13

Players
317 posts
4,678 battles

Also having just been in a game with 2 carriers,you can't set fire to them to stop them launching planes,which was rather handy if you had HE.

+1 good point

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
2,159 battles

:ohmy:

Sorry, I must have missed the comment qualification memo in the forum rules.

This.

(Note: I also have not yet played the RN Cruisers. So this is an opinion, not a comment.)

Players
1,428 posts

IMHO the problem with AP only is the fuse-time. The fuse-time on the RN CL shells are very short, otherwise they would even have more trouble to damage DD's. However you need another fuse time to do decent damage against  a BB as against a DD. The Fun of AP should be to citadel ships on regular basis. This AP can't do that. So at least you need two different kinds of AP shells.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,414 posts
5,090 battles

You can, actually.

So your comment is valid in....which way ecactly? Leave me alone dude, seriously.

I dont know if you read what Ive wrote, if you did, your comment would be obsolete.

From your profile i see you have played a lot of battles in RN ships so far (4 in tier3 since release). Your statement therefore is more valid than any humble statement from us peasants.

Supertest Coordinator
6,336 posts
4,250 battles

Yes can confirm they can knock out modules. And the penetration is good

Problem for me is Fiji onwards have enough guns to counter the not so good arcs. The lower tiers do not.

[OM]
Beta Tester
1,051 posts
19,207 battles

they might have only AP, but this AP is magic!

- magic penetration for 152 mm

- magic normalisation (pens armour that it should not)

- magic short fuse time = no overpens

sure its still situational, but you ALWAYS get ur opportunities

when u are chased or rushed, you have ur magical no-spread, single  torp drop ability....this alone is SUPER dangerous for the attacker

i agree, that this line will be not for the casual potato player, but i bet this line will be the new loved line for the aggressive, good players

Edited by IceyJones
  • Cool 1

[HEROS]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,581 posts
12,110 battles

Only AP is not an issue. I think some supertester already mentioned it. Even when ship is angled, you just have to aim much higher then you normally would, and you still get damage and penetrations. And that's what's totally OP on those ships. You can make them totally dependent on your skill, in terms of dealing damage. 

Supertest Coordinator
6,336 posts
4,250 battles

But the downside is:

- it's sutuational. Full armoured bbs (Koenig, New Mexico) you can barely touch. Russian dds will dodge your shots. While us dds will melt and ijn bbs you can happily mash up.

- the RoF and arcs and lack of guns below tier 7 make gun damage output difficult.

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,581 posts
12,110 battles

I played only tier VI+, so what you say might be true on lower tiers. Although vs Gneiseneau, Warspite, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz - you can deal substantial damage on them even when they angle. Right now, there was only one situation when I couldn't deal anything worth mentioning - when I was being charged by Tirpitz, on pretty close range - 7 km, so my trajectory was too flat to lob above frontal turrets into superstructures. 

Sailing Hamster
1,545 posts
3,274 battles

they might have only AP, but this AP is magic!

- magic penetration for 152 mm

- magic normalisation (pens armour that it should not)

- magic short fuse time = no overpens

sure its still situational, but you ALWAYS get ur opportunities

when u are chased or rushed, you have ur magical no-spread, single  torp drop ability....this alone is SUPER dangerous for the attacker

i agree, that this line will be not for the casual potato player, but i bet this line will be the new loved line for the aggressive, good players

Since when shooting whole game from smoke/behind islands or just strait outside from spotting range is an aggressive gameplay? Its like saying that stealth TD in WoT are great for aggressive players
  • Cool 4

Beta Tester
83 posts
2,970 battles

There is still the situation where if you spot a carrier you can't knock out its flight deck,it can still launch its aircraft which HE fires prevent.

Still getting used to the RN,so far whilst not totally convinced not as bad as i'd feared.

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

IMHO the problem with AP only is the fuse-time. The fuse-time on the RN CL shells are very short, otherwise they would even have more trouble to damage DD's. However you need another fuse time to do decent damage against  a BB as against a DD. The Fun of AP should be to citadel ships on regular basis. This AP can't do that. So at least you need two different kinds of AP shells.

I absolutely concur with the bit highlighted in bold there. Would be great because good players would still have the flexibility of choosing the correct ammo type for a specific situation with different characteristics for each AP shell type. Would be much better instead of just literally spamming the sole ammo type we have currently.

Having played up to the Caledon so far, only a few games but already I'm finding it EXTREMELY difficult to provide effective fire onto angled targets - even if it's just a subtle angle. Flamu amongst others stated how it was super powerful to a flat on broadside but horrendously poor against even the most slightest of angles your damage potential just falls off a cliff. Once people wise up to these ships and angle, it's going to be very frustrating to play them. They will just charge you down and nuke you even from within smoke and there will be very little you can do. I foresee the possible need for a small buff of sorts in the future, I may be wrong... but the early ships just aren't performing.

Also - what's with the shot dispersion! I was straddling a Umikaze from 3km, shots just landing port and starboard of him broadside on from 3km, just shocking handling characteristics.

• Cool 2

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,610 posts
5,167 battles

Once people wise up to these ships and angle, it's going to be very frustrating to play them. They will just charge you down and nuke you even from within smoke and there will be very little you can do. 

Buff torpedo reload time?

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

Buff torpedo reload time?

Have fun trying to hit torpedoes against German hydro which is everywhere at the moment with the popularity of their CA and BB line. We either need a different AP type with a longer fuse delay time or some form of HE even if it's just incredibly weak.

[MCSOB]
Beta Tester
55 posts

the AP only shells is horrific

having just fired 89 shells into a Kaiser with my Danae and he was broadside to me the whole time and only done 8760 damage to him I was aiming at his small superstructure at 11-10 km the whole time....and then got deleted in 1 salvo he hit me 7 times whilst angled!

with about 100 damage being done to a BB per hit I would need 460 hits to kill it at that rate now that seem balanced. or some how close to suicide distance and hope he dont dodge my torps!

Supertest Coordinator
6,336 posts
4,250 battles

I would also echo that having two AP types would be better so you can choose short and long fuse ammo.

Incidentally 100 damage to a bb is a bit low. I'd expect about 250. Aim into the funnels almost...

• Cool 1

Players
18 posts
3,493 battles
I'm told RoF and RN Shell Normalisation is where it's at?

WTF?

​Imagine if you took HE away from all the US CA/CL and gave them a puff of smoke.... wonder how that would sit.

​..and why ever not? I mean, realism is so long out of the window, I'm half expecting CoDesque Exo abilities to come along and ruin the game soon ;)

Players
101 posts
5,452 battles

Since when shooting whole game from smoke/behind islands or just strait outside from spotting range is an aggressive gameplay? Its like saying that stealth TD in WoT are great for aggressive players

.....Mister Icey means that with RN cruisers u can get pretty CLOSE to the enemy(being agressive) because u have the smokescreen ability, without the smoke u wont be able to get close without being PUNISHED.

Tell me who is more agressive: a cruiser that stays 15km+ spamming you or a cruiser thats gets withing <10km of you and smokes up to wreck you?

I think RN cruisers are fine: they can have HEAL even on midtier ships, they can have smoke/radar, and they have hydro on top of all that.

the only downside is that they dont have HE, but that is fine imo(if they had HE, they would be the most OVERPOWERED line of the game(imagine a kutuzov with smoke/heal/hydro at the same time but with USN cruiser shell arcs))

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
723 posts
2,861 battles

Somehow I was under the impression that the special properties of RN AP ammo were supposed to guarantee some damage even at bad angles. This does not seem to be the case though? (I didn't play them yet but all this whining strongly suggests it doesn't really work...) And getting bad arcs on top of that? WG could at least have relented and given them good arcs if everything else fails. Guess this is what happens when there is no proper playtesting...

Edited by Kruzenstern