Sign in to follow this  
Strefs

The Belfast, and a look at the (now)released Brits

13 comments in this topic

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
308 posts
5,403 battles

The Belfast and Brits

As you have all probably been eagerly testing by now, the british ships aren't quite what we are used to in game, firstly, they are not loaded with HE. In addition to that, the AP feels stronger than on most ships, it seems to penetrate more often, the overpens do a lot more damage too. You will also notice that all ships are equipped with a heal from Tier 3 onward, and are also equipped with smoke at tier 5 onward. If you have already reached tier 5 you will see that the smoke screen is in fact, of quite short duration. It is however enough to place 2 big bubbles of smoke. Don't mind your ships being on ice skates? look no further, Brit cruisers seem to always want to drift out of these bubbles. From tier 9 to 10 you will note that the AA on the ships increases drastically. This is due to the dual purpose armament. Note however that no british ship can be equipped with defensive fire.

Lastly, all British ships are blessed with a big citadel and virtually no armor.

So what do I think about these boats?

Well first of all, I thoroughly enjoyed testing them, I'd say the peak is at tier 4, 7 and 10. The Danae, for being a huge upgrade from the Caledon. The Fiji, for great rate of fire, tight spread, and decent overall stats. And finally, Minotaur for being somewhat of a damage beast.

Now, I don't personally miss the HE, and I know many will disagree with me on this, but I feel that it's not that necessary on these ships. The AP performance has been buffed to the extent where I have to say that I'd only want HE to burn my target. If you know how to aim with AP, you should do just fine. Many destroyer captains will probably feel the same way about the British AP.

The smokescreen, if you can call it that, is a bit too gimicky for my taste, it's enough to conceal you if you're stationary, but combined with the slow acceleration and deceleration of the ships, it's not hard to accidentally sail out of your screen while laying it. What bothers me about the smoke is the fact that there is a big underlying feeling behind it, it is more complicated to say in one sentence.

Firstly, the bubble is usually only enough to conceal 1 or 2 ships, it's a very egoistic smoke screen, you can't really support allies with it since it's so short. Therefore, from a tactical standpoint, it's only really good to sit in and lob shells out of, hence gimicky, and not really that useful as a whole.

"smoke's up before he finishes the voice line" - Stref, first match since the update.

The Heal is similar to the smoke, but this one's saying "I am fragile". The ships are a shell magnet, most hits will be penetrations or citadels, they don't last very long, don't let me tell you how they felt without the heal at tier 3. I feel that it kind of throws the implied careful gameplay out of the window by saying "hey, here's a heal, go crazy".

Spotter plane/Fighter plane, if you pick these I wish not to talk to you.

Alternatively, you can trade in your smoke for radar, but why would you? since you cannot get in close to your enemies without being split in half by a hailfire of shells, there is only limited use to radar on a british citad- I mean ship. But in all seriousness, the Radar just feels to be a second grade choice over a smoke.

Ah, there is also Sonar on a seperate slot, I found this to be useful since piloting a tanker takes some pre-planning to manage to manoeuvre, aka to spot sneaky DDs that are about to light you up or just dodge some torps on skates.

Now moving on swiftly, the Armament:

Quite frankly, the guns only start to feel good T7 onwards. The Leander is going in the right direction, but once you hit Fiji, you don't want to go back. Despite this I still think the Danae is a good ship, mind you. As I stated before, the AP does the job, the turn rate feels a bit odd for their size but it's not that bad once you get used to it, oh yes and the Minotaur is of course ridiculously fast.

How does it feel to know that the only fires you're ever gonna set are ones of your secondaries, probably below the range of 5km? If that feels good, welcome aboard captain! Nothing special really, I just noticed I had some when a destroyer came in really close.

British cruisers get torps, the damage is good but the range leaves to be desired as I found that torps would only come in useful against curious BB drivers that just can't stop poking that smokescreen, something I found I missed on Belfast. at T8 you get a good enough range to actually use them more aggressively. The damage approximates around 15k damage, which is decent.

The healthpool tries to destroy every thesis I put up so far by being lower than that found on a German vessel of the respective tier, worry not, since the heal will be quite enough to sustain you for a long time.

Concealment, as you see, range from sizes of "can this really be a light cruiser?" to "ain't nobody gonna hide that". Despite this they are mostly around the 10km mark. It's a good thing the smoke screen is big, but it should also be noted that it will not stop shells, so anyone trying to shoot at you will most likely hit you.

Rudder shift is okay, the speed is good but the shift from stop to go is quite bad, no RNCL can mount the acceleration mod either, so you're stuck with that. It's something that really screwed up most of my games, running into torps with just the tip of the ship, overshooting smoke screens, etc.

So who do I recommend the British line for?

1. Destroyer captains who want less speed but more boat

2. People who are looking for something new and interesting

3. People who find alternating between ammo types a pain in the behind, and much rather focus on dodging those incoming shells like there is no tomorrow.

4. Damage farmers

I find that the British ships are good at doing something that's not really constructive to the gameplay as a whole, sit stationary in smoke spamming AP at ships. While I am quite aware that this may not be the case in your opinion, I found that it is way too easy to do exactly that, turn a profit out of it, and have disgusting amounts of damage. British ships indicate a more careful approach, since you can't heal or smoke up if you get one-shot. Therefore they are not the best to lead the advance, they can however, play support roles effectively. Due to their low concealment, they can get into positions other ships wouldn't even dare look at from a pair of binocs (Yorck, Pensa, looking at you). Since they first released, much has been done to try to make them as friendly as possible to new players. And that's unfortunately what they are, a bit of a one trick pony: smoke, shoot, reposition, get hit for 50% of your health, heal, smoke, shoot, rinse and repeat. In the hands of a competent player, the damage potential is quite frightening, and I still enjoyed them.

What about the Belfast.

The Belfast is a British premium in No-Torp-But-HE manner. Key things you'll note about it is:

1. Good reload

2. No torps

3. HE

4. A British flag

5 Radar AND smoke

6. 2mil mod slot

7. Ice skates

The Belfast mounts 3 consumables at once, RADAR, SONAR and SMOKE. That's probably the first thing to stand out. Radar, other than the obvious big flag on gun No. 2. You no longer have to ponder whether to get radar or smoke, not that any tier 7 ship would ever have to choose, since this is also unique to only the Belfast. We have the Flint with smoke, the Atlanta and Indianapolis with radar, and now the Belfast with both (and sonar).

If you met this thing in battle and found it to be on the opposite side of the teams, you might've learned that it might've managed to set fire to you. No, this is no kind of wizardry, the Belfast gets HE. What's the trade-off you ask? Torpedoes, none of those on the Belfast.

Lastly, the Belfast gets the T8 or 2mil upgrade slot. I have mixed feelings about this, whether the Belfast really needs it. Nevertheless, the Belfast has it. You can mount Concealment mod 1 and use CE to get your detection down to 8.5km.

Performance-wise the Belfast does well, as expected. Quite frankly I think the Fiji works fine as it is and doesn't really need any buffs, so the Belfast naturally is even better, unless you like the torps more than the HE. Generally speaking, the Belfast is a really good ship, it performs solidly, turns a good profit, as has more features than a swiss army knife. If you are looking for a t7 alternative to the Atlanta, that's probably even better, look no further.

5a413a8875.jpg

Edited by Strefs
  • Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

sorry if i clearly missed something, but where the hell is the belfast? how come you've got one to review?

Community Contributor tag escaped your scrutiny? 

[TAMAR]
[TAMAR]
Beta Tester
9 posts
4,052 battles

what is the best crew set up for an Edinburgh with a 14 level skill set

can I have some recommendations please?

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

1. Destroyer captains who want less speed but more boat

2. People who are looking for something new and interesting

3. People who find alternating between ammo types a pain in the behind, and much rather focus on dodging those incoming shells like there is no tomorrow.

4. Damage farmers

As I stated in another cruiser topic this is bad for the game because it will be a hard and gimmicky line which will only be fun to play if you are a good player that likes the challenge of 'unique' gameplay and gimped/broken features that require the enemy to make mistakes by showing broadsides.

This is not a line for beginners or bad players as the skill floor is way too high for them and given that the Royal Navy was at the time the largest then later in WW2 the second largest navy in the world and known well in advance of the line's release to be the most anticipated nation since before the launch of the game this is very bad for the game.

It is all mighty fine with single launch torps, repair party and smoke but without the HE to burn BBs and wreck DDs engines the line will never be comfortable nor fun to play, OK you will have some fun games with great damage but overall you wil just have unpleasant and stressfull games because you have no real answer to BBs and DDs and any angled ships

Once again Wargaming ruins the british by making their techtree a line for a select few that enjoys playing as the underdog with gimmicky, gimped and/or broken mechanics.

The line needs to be rebalanced ASAP with a reintroduction of HE and perhaps remove smoke in return? :hmm:

Also why in the name of all that is holy do Wargaming release the premium cruiser Belfast with HE thus requiering a seperate captain that can use Demolition Expert as that skill is utterly useless for the line ships??:facepalm:

• Cool 1

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
308 posts
5,403 battles

what is the best crew set up for an Edinburgh with a 14 level skill set

can I have some recommendations please?

Go with either Basics of Surv. or Basic Fire Training at tier 1, shell switch will be absolutely useless, so will the plane mod.

For Tier 2 there is a couple of things to choose from, the way I see it, Last Stand comes in really handy, since losing your engine or steering on these ships is often a killer. Incoming fire alert and fire control party would be the least recommended, the -7% of FCP is probably one of the least favourite crew skills. Incoming shell indicators are pretty much useless since you should keep an eye on whether you're being shot at anyway, and you can safely assume that once you're detected, the shells will be flying in. Turret traverse is also a viable choice, although the 0.7deg/s are not worth giving up on steering and the engine.

At Tier 3 go for the Superintendent perk, extra smoke and extra heal. There isn't really anything else that can come close to it.

Lastly, at Tier 4, go for Health, or AFT. I picked AFT for extra AA reliability, but the Health skill can keep you in the game longer. DE and ASE is absolutely useless, Manual AA is fun, but not really as useful.

the last 4 points I'd say you should save for the 5er skill, which would be either CE or maybe Jack of All Trades for LOLs.

Good luck with your new ship!

As I stated in another cruiser topic this is bad for the game because it will be a hard and gimmicky line which will only be fun to play if you are a good player that likes the challenge of 'unique' gameplay and gimped/broken features that require the enemy to make mistakes by showing broadsides.

This is not a line for beginners or bad players as the skill floor is way too high for them and given that the Royal Navy was at the time the largest then later in WW2 the second largest navy in the world and known well in advance of the line's release to be the most anticipated nation since before the launch of the game this is very bad for the game.

It is all mighty fine with single launch torps, repair party and smoke but without the HE to burn BBs and wreck DDs engines the line will never be comfortable nor fun to play, OK you will have some fun games with great damage but overall you wil just have unpleasant and stressfull games because you have no real answer to BBs and DDs and any angled ships

Once again Wargaming ruins the british by making their techtree a line for a select few that enjoys playing as the underdog with gimmicky, gimped and/or broken mechanics.

The line needs to be rebalanced ASAP with a reintroduction of HE and perhaps remove smoke in return? :hmm:

Also why in the name of all that is holy do Wargaming release the premium cruiser Belfast with HE thus requiering a seperate captain that can use Demolition Expert as that skill is utterly useless for the line ships??:facepalm:

I do agree, it is not a starter line by any stretch of the imagination, that combined with the fact that many people have been drooling for the RN lines basically calls for trouble. I don't think the HE on the Belfast was up for discussion, I presume a trade-off for not having torps. I am more worried about the fact that it eliminates it's competition with being better in most aspects. I salute you, Atlanta.

Players
750 posts
2,999 battles

So when can we expect to get our hands on HMS Belfast??? I'm quite fond of her :D

Edited by GhostRider_24

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,673 posts
15,400 battles

Friday 21st Trafalgar day... also the commemoration of 45 years as a museum ship.....

Players
324 posts
1,941 battles

There are rumours floating around that Belfast arrives in November. Wonder if it'll be "balanced" in some way before release.

Edit: ok, nevermind, it's available now.

Edited by Diminios

[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,497 battles

Belfast is in shop and is op as promised. he helps alot 50 k fire dmg in one game. 9% fire chance with 12 guns every 7.5 sec from smoke :)  

One thing. I got hit almost eveytime in smoke. It is small cloud and they knkw where you are. So still bs cits hard and full broadside to bs eavwn in smoke is not healthy :)

Sign in to follow this