Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Charger76

Ranked, how to know when you are screwed early

35 comments in this topic

Players
137 posts
18,871 battles

Well I have NOT enjoyed Ranked this season. I have picked up more chat bans than a sailor in a convent in frustration at DD's who refuse to cap, BB's that run, run, run AWAY from the enemy, CV's that get all their fighters together before moving them toward cap whilst the enemy CV has fighters over the cap & murdering our DD's. Or better yet, when you get MM dump FIVE DD's into each team and all FIVE run into the same cap where they are frustrated by ONE DD whilst their 4 do a fast cap with nobody spotting.

Sorry WG, MM is broken when you are playing in Ranked Battles with any more than 3 DD's per team.

I have reached Level 5 six times and gone right back down to Level 7, almost 8. I seem to spend most of my time in Level 6 now with a stream of people who are determined to lose. Yes, I know, I am a bad player, its all my fault. Actually, it is, I should do what others seem to do & focus purely on making sure I am top of the losing team. So, here is my quick guide to how to know you are screwed early so you can be like 50% of your team and do nothing whatsoever for your team in the hope that the rest will die off fast & let you get some easy XP to save your star:

1. If you have Fubuki's on your team and the enemy have Bensons you are screwed. Sure, there are some very good Fubuki drivers, but most fire torpedos from anywhere (usually the second line), refuse to cap (they claim to have no guns, not that guns should be relevant if they have the sense to use CE). As they smoke up outside the cap and spam torpedos, they neither cap nor spot the cap / beyond making them about as useful to the TEAM (major distinction coming!) as a nun in a whore house.

2. You have 3 or more DD's on your team and they all go to the same cap.

3. You have BB's steaming into cap from kick off. Abandon all hope.

4. You are on that horror show map Trident & your team has gone to A.

5. You are on that horror show map Trident and your DD's have decided not to smoke their BB's & CA's in which case run for the nearest island.

6. You are on that horror show map Trident and you don't have a radar ship in your team and they do.

7. Despite the radar ship being spotted, nobody bothered firing at it apart from you...... see you in Port....

8. One of a growing list of players is on your team that I have on my *special* list of people.

So, now here is where you can learn the lesson that having played team sports all my life I cannot get into my head:

If any of the above is true, focus 100% on getting maximum XP and ignore anything and anyone that will detract from your need to be last alive & last shooting / capping etc. Be hard on this, there is no way to ensure you get top XP more often than by doing this! So:

Your team mate needs help to hold the cap against 2 enemy, let him die.

Your team are getting sliced on one side & you could hold the balance, run away.

The BEST thing you can do: take a Fubuki, refuse to cap, stay hidden, spam torpedos and do nothing whatsoever for your team from the moment any of the above is true (i.e. always) That way, late game you can pick up pointless cap points when the enemy are already so far ahead that it means nothing. You might even catch the odd BB for a salvo & get a big fat bonus that does nothing for you team (all dead as they were spotted but had nothing to shoot at, no caps were taken etc. etc.) but pretty much guarantees you top XP & no lost star.

Keep a list of *SPECIAL* players (would be happy to share mine!) and act accordingly.

Thats it from me folks, be sure to enjoy playing in a team event in the most unteamlike fashion so I can pick up lost more chat bans when I curse your selfishness and ineptitude whilst you sail serenly into Level 4 / 3/ 2 / 1 whilst I & other morons like me who at least try to play for the team and cannot get the sensible approach outlined above into their thick skulls flounder between levels 5 & 7.

Anyone else want to add to this, you must at least make ONE highly inappropriate but debately amusing comment such as my patented "sailing around like a lobotomised goldfish" or "as much fun as seeing a priest after mass".

Players
101 posts
5,452 battles

Well I have NOT enjoyed Ranked this season. I have picked up more chat bans than a sailor in a convent in frustration at DD's who refuse to cap, BB's that run, run, run AWAY from the enemy, CV's that get all their fighters together before moving them toward cap whilst the enemy CV has fighters over the cap & murdering our DD's. Or better yet, when you get MM dump FIVE DD's into each team and all FIVE run into the same cap where they are frustrated by ONE DD whilst their 4 do a fast cap with nobody spotting.

Sorry WG, MM is broken when you are playing in Ranked Battles with any more than 3 DD's per team.

I have reached Level 5 six times and gone right back down to Level 7, almost 8. I seem to spend most of my time in Level 6 now with a stream of people who are determined to lose. Yes, I know, I am a bad player, its all my fault. Actually, it is, I should do what others seem to do & focus purely on making sure I am top of the losing team. So, here is my quick guide to how to know you are screwed early so you can be like 50% of your team and do nothing whatsoever for your team in the hope that the rest will die off fast & let you get some easy XP to save your star:

1. If you have Fubuki's on your team and the enemy have Bensons you are screwed. Sure, there are some very good Fubuki drivers, but most fire torpedos from anywhere (usually the second line), refuse to cap (they claim to have no guns, not that guns should be relevant if they have the sense to use CE). As they smoke up outside the cap and spam torpedos, they neither cap nor spot the cap / beyond making them about as useful to the TEAM (major distinction coming!) as a nun in a whore house.

5. You are on that horror show map Trident and your DD's have decided not to smoke their BB's & CA's in which case run for the nearest island.

6. You are on that horror show map Trident and you don't have a radar ship in your team and they do.

7. Despite the radar ship being spotted, nobody bothered firing at it apart from you...... see you in Port....

8. One of a growing list of players is on your team that I have on my *special* list of people.

So, now here is where you can learn the lesson that having played team sports all my life I cannot get into my head:

If any of the above is true, focus 100% on getting maximum XP and ignore anything and anyone that will detract from your need to be last alive & last shooting / capping etc. Be hard on this, there is no way to ensure you get top XP more often than by doing this! So:

Your team mate needs help to hold the cap against 2 enemy, let him die.

Your team are getting sliced on one side & you could hold the balance, run away.

The BEST thing you can do: take a Fubuki, refuse to cap, stay hidden, spam torpedos and do nothing whatsoever for your team from the moment any of the above is true (i.e. always) That way, late game you can pick up pointless cap points when the enemy are already so far ahead that it means nothing. You might even catch the odd BB for a salvo & get a big fat bonus that does nothing for you team (all dead as they were spotted but had nothing to shoot at, no caps were taken etc. etc.) but pretty much guarantees you top XP & no lost star.

Keep a list of *SPECIAL* players (would be happy to share mine!) and act accordingly.

Thats it from me folks, be sure to enjoy playing in a team event in the most unteamlike fashion so I can pick up lost more chat bans when I curse your selfishness and ineptitude whilst you sail serenly into Level 4 / 3/ 2 / 1 whilst I & other morons like me who at least try to play for the team and cannot get the sensible approach outlined above into their thick skulls flounder between levels 5 & 7.

Anyone else want to add to this, you must at least make ONE highly inappropriate but debately amusing comment such as my patented "sailing around like a lobotomised goldfish" or "as much fun as seeing a priest after mass".

If you play the *not to lose game* u won't reach rank 1.. or it will take much longer that if u tried to do what ure supposed to do.

My advice is: even if it looks hopeless, always try ur best to play as a team, there is always chance for a comeback.

Players
137 posts
18,871 battles

If you play the *not to lose game* u won't reach rank 1.. or it will take much longer that if u tried to do what ure supposed to do.

My advice is: even if it looks hopeless, always try ur best to play as a team, there is always chance for a comeback.

Its a bit tongue in cheek, poking fun. Are you German? :teethhappy:

Players
1,011 posts
10,347 battles

This is a hard one. It is hard to tell early if you lost. I have participated in many turnarounds. One of the things that makes ranked ( dare I say) enjoyable. (at rank 5 or better)

Players
137 posts
18,871 battles

This is a hard one. It is hard to tell early if you lost. I have participated in many turnarounds. One of the things that makes ranked ( dare I say) enjoyable. (at rank 5 or better)

Unkind to rub it in!

I get there then........

TBF I see more Fubukis in Level 5 than in Level 6....

Players
1,011 posts
10,347 battles

sorry, I didnt know your rank. In my experience, from 17 to rank 5 I had to carryhard every game to get the win because there was trash on my team and the enemy. Once I hit rank 5, all of a sudden the amount of team play went up dramatically.

Players
70 posts
4,568 battles

I think that is the way to go. It gives the DDs the best chance to cap. The problem starts when they don't move on, or spend half the game going behind enemy lines chasing a CV or try to ambush a BB.

[-TWA-]
Beta Tester
134 posts
12,415 battles

Oh boy, this is such a surprise. :teethhappy:

Somehow I recognized your name and had to look at my blacklist and, lo and behold, you're one of the two people I have chat banned (after 2800 matches). So obviously you're something special.

Remember the ranked match where you verbally harassed me the whole team of being noobs or bad players with all kinds of swearwords in ALL CAPS? Or don't you remember this because that happens too often?

Turned out that you had the least amount of points in that match. Looking up your ranked stats I can easily see why, e.g. 11 matches in an Atago and only one single kill.

I just wanted to inform you that today I have reached rank 1 with a 62.5% winrate, while you're repelled from the top (rank5-2) bracket with a <50% winrate.

Hopefully this will make you quit ranked matches because from my experience you only make them worse for everyone on your team. If not, have fun failing. :P

• Cool 3

Players
137 posts
18,871 battles

Oh boy, this is such a surprise. :teethhappy:

Somehow I recognized your name and had to look at my blacklist and, lo and behold, you're one of the two people I have chat banned (after 2800 matches). So obviously you're something special.

Remember the ranked match where you verbally harassed me the whole team of being noobs or bad players with all kinds of swearwords in ALL CAPS? Or don't you remember this because that happens too often?

Turned out that you had the least amount of points in that match. Looking up your ranked stats I can easily see why, e.g. 11 matches in an Atago and only one single kill.

I just wanted to inform you that today I have reached rank 1 with a 62.5% winrate, while you're repelled from the top (rank5-2) bracket with a <50% winrate.

Hopefully this will make you quit ranked matches because from my experience you only make them worse for everyone on your team. If not, have fun failing. :P

I do remember you because in that game you did everything I set out above & your Rank 1 proves that being selfish is the way to get ahead! Thank you for proving my point!

In fact in that game you were such a selfish toad that I not only added your name to my *SPECIAL* player list, I did so in bold & underlined!

Beta Tester
4,528 posts
9,851 battles

OP has several issues. He's an average player who thinks that average should be enough to easily rank. If ranked were nothing but a 6 week grind, then it wouldn't be "ranked".

And he somehow doesn't get how complaining about fubukis (which the MM doesn't allow to really be 1 more or less on a team than the other) has one specific advantage, detection range and thus outspotting enemy bensons (and enemy fubus firing guns). And this spotting combined with your DDs actually not running solo to go cap somewhere else far away from their team (as in, his second point is suggesting he wants them to do the one thing that actually dooms teams, which is splitting your team up and thus losing the ability to both smoke, spot and focus enemies as best as you can) means you can focus fire DDs as your actually attacking BBs (notice again how be both complains about BBs attacking, and not attacking, while he also ignore how ships like the NC can control most of the airspace in a cap just by getting close to the border off it while also complaining about planes spotting his DDs) and how aggressive BBs is the best defense a friendly DD has as it means those radar ships he whines about won't dare come too close.

Basicly OP, you can't have it both ways.. or all fifty ways you try to make mutually exclusive points work.

Players
61 posts
3,391 battles

Generally you can tell you're screwed when the only person in the team who tries to communicate is you....

A or B chaps?

< stony silence>

A then...

< Two Bismarks and a Tirpitz head to the map border and the other two DDs go to B>

.... Later...

Slow down I'll smoke you

<stony silence, NCal caries on at max speed into three enemy BBs>

Ncal SLOW!

< Ncal dies>

Ncal - Useless noob DDs! 

Or more usually... On North with a Chapayev hiding behind the mountain, 3 undetected DDs lurking somewhere and 2 Bismarcks 10k out

BB - Cap Benson

< Tentatively enters postage stamp sized cap dodging torps>

<Couple of ticks then cap stops>

BB - FFS cap Benson

???

<Chapayev radars>

< 3 DDs plus 2 lots of BS secondaries open up on you, dead in 15 seconds flat>

BB - Useless fricking noob DDs

• Cool 3

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

The lols of Ranked is never ending. For every good game there are probably 2 or 3 that are simply bad for a variety of reasons. 

I did play Benson up to R5 but I got sick of knife edged gameplay so I went back to my main of BB and I'm currently frustrating lots at the upper tier by dying too soon. Beats camping 20km away as I actually hit stuff I shoot at...

Players
1,015 posts
4,182 battles

Bismarck is probably one of the most OP ships this game has seen, incredibly OP compared to other T8 BB's

Yeah, right... Bis is no where near OP. Most versitile, and easiest to play - yes. All T8 BBs are strong, each in its own way.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Bismarck is probably one of the most OP ships this game has seen, incredibly OP compared to other T8 BB's

It still dies like any other BB to DD.

But when they're all dead then you're really in your element. No other BB except for another Bis can challenge you. The amount of NC/Amagi/Tirps I've destroyed by going heavily angled and just secondary spamming them to death...

Players
1,015 posts
4,182 battles

It still dies like any other BB to DD.

But when they're all dead then you're really in your element. No other BB except for another Bis can challenge you. The amount of NC/Amagi/Tirps I've destroyed by going heavily angled and just secondary spamming them to death...

I can say the same for my NC. Its down to the driver, not the BB. NC easily takes on german BBs due to "orbital" shell arcs that hit hard at their superstructure (coupled with more often then not an odd cit pen). Just keep Bis / Tirp at +10km until whittled down and finish them off when they try to get close. Easy.

There are as many poor Bis/Tirp drivers as NC and Amagi ones. The difference being Bis/Tirp stay alive longer than the other two since showing broadside lesson is lost on so many even on high tiers...

[T-N-T]
Players
340 posts
5,849 battles

I can say the same for my NC. Its down to the driver, not the BB. NC easily takes on german BBs due to "orbital" shell arcs that hit hard at their superstructure (coupled with more often then not an odd cit pen). Just keep Bis / Tirp at +10km until whittled down and finish them off when they try to get close. Easy.

There are as many poor Bis/Tirp drivers as NC and Amagi ones. The difference being Bis/Tirp stay alive longer than the other two since showing broadside lesson is lost on so many even on high tiers...

Plus it should be noted that Bismarck just fits in curent ranked enviroment because of size of maps. I doubt people would call Bismarck OP if we fight on ocean in ranked.....smaller the map, the better for Bismarck. And vice versa.

[AMOK]
[AMOK]
Players
3,614 posts
16,495 battles

Most of the time the balance between Fubukis and Bensons is even.

A Lo Yang or Tashkent is a problem. To few of them, so MM can't distribute them even on the teams

Often the best choice... Better: One DD scout (and contest if possible) one cap while the rest of the Fleet battles for the other cap.

Well if all BBs in the team start doing it (together with the DDs) its an autowin most of the times.

Staying together is essential for winning with only 7 ships in the team.

BBs staying behind or waiting for the battle to "evolve" are more of a problem.

Giving DD-support from behind is not very effective.

Supernoob-BBs yolo-rush in, noob-BBs stay behind, experienced BBs push in Formation with the team.

A is the key to victory. Since both teams can reach A before B the Team going all for B is at a disadvantage pointwise and has to go into the offense  or will loose if both teams camp.

So contesting A while one DD scouts B is the best option for winning (for both sides)

Smoking another player is rarely a good option (exeption is a trained team. Like a division or clan).

- Most of the times he runs out of the smoke

- Smokes draw torps! (Dodging torps in a stillstanding BB.. yeah!)

- If other DDs are still in the enemy team, you need to fight them instead of running back to your Teammates.

- If there are no other DDs in the enemy team HE spamming from the smoke is very effective to drive off enemy bigger ships.

And well a CA running for cover behind an island is ok. They are squishy. But a BB running for cover behind an island and denying its offensive and tanking capabilities isn't worth the smoke anyway.

Bad position for the team indeed. Only the straight from the start pushing BB can help you in that case.

You are right in this part esp. if you are in the DD trying to take out that CA (because you are the only one who is aware of the problem)

You should also be aware f the good players.. especially if they are in the enemy team.

And there is one thing you can do. If you know the "playstyle"of one person: Adapt your strategy

Players
384 posts
14,201 battles

Cant agree with OP

Players quality have bigger influence then 1 ship difference between teams (Benson/Fubuki, Bismarck/NC, Atago/Hipper... etc)

I win a lot battles with ''worse'' ships in team than enemy Time to time good Tashkent player can do magic for team and secure win Same is for other ships

Player is most important + RNGesus help

I play Lo Yang and no problem for MM-its substitution for Benson on other team

Edited by _interceptor_80

Players
108 posts
4,384 battles

I just checked and it seems that the OP is on my blacklist as well. I wonder why...

For the worst ranked experience: I think I can top you all...

A strike Lexington refusing to launch planes "because the enemy has fighters" :fishpalm:

• Cool 1

Players
1,015 posts
4,182 battles

For the worst ranked experience: I think I can top you all...

A strike Lexington refusing to launch planes "because the enemy has fighters" :fishpalm:

I had to read that 3 times... :amazed:

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

BB going close support at the start in the Premier League doesn't work.

I speak from painful experience. The BB will get focused to hell even with smoke. They are very easy to torp at effective secondary distance...

Sign in to follow this