You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blixies

Concealment expert or Survivability expert for US DDs?

CE, SE or AFT  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is generally the best captain skill to take for US DDs?

• Concealment Expert
    • Survivability Expert
    • Advanced Firing Training

19 comments in this topic

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,182 posts
4,094 battles

Simple question :)

Having Basic Firing Training, Last stand, Superintendent and Demo Expert already, what would you guys recommend next?

I don't really see a point in AFT (due to shell travel time of the US 127mm), but I have included it in the poll, for the sake of argument.

Consider tier 7 and higher please.

Elaborate on your vote if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Blixies

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,182 posts
4,094 battles

Randoms: DE+CE

any kind of competitve: SE+CE

So CE either way? :)

Hmmm I would consider DE is better than SE in almost all situations, but I might be wrong, of course.

EDIT: DE translates into +60% fire chance per shell for US DDs if I calculated that correctly. That is indeed huge.

Edited by Blixies

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,954 battles

CE because US DDs at higher tiers are really versatile and can do pretty much everything. For that kind of DD concealment is very useful, getting the drop on other DDs and generally staying undetected more.

I'd be much more for switching Demo for SE is you want to be more effective versus other DDs. Demo is almost useless in a DD vs DD fight while SE is never really useless.

Beta Tester
1,175 posts
7,675 battles

So CE either way? :)

Hmmm I would consider DE is better than SE in almost all situations, but I might be wrong, of course.

You need SE+CE to deal with enemy DDs in ranked/CW matches, you are not supposed to kill enemy BBs by burning them down. However, if you play randoms you could go for DE if you feel comfortable enough to kill the avg enemy DD player, if you dont feel confident enough get SE to have a edge over the enemy DD. DE is only really useful for farming fire DMG on the avg baBBie.

+ collecting reports from enemy GK divisions, because you know, fire and torpedos are OP.

[OSC]
Players
656 posts
12,262 battles

Well ill give you my gearing skills so try it. (17pt)

Bft, last stand, torpedo reload, torpedo acceleration (this one is only good on gearing couse of its 16.5 km range), survivability expert, concealment expert.

Those 4k you gain in hp pool really make a difference in a dd, and you need to be stealthy becouse of other dds.

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,182 posts
4,094 battles

You need SE+CE to deal with enemy DDs in ranked/CW matches, you are not supposed to kill enemy BBs by burning them down. However, if you play randoms you could go for DE if you feel comfortable enough to kill the avg enemy DD player, if you dont feel confident enough get SE to have a edge over the enemy DD. DE is only really useful for farming fire DMG on the avg baBBie.

+ collecting reports from enemy GK divisions, because you know, fire and torpedos are OP.

Sounds very reasonable actually. Might take the SE after all.

You didn't specify which tiers. For example, AFT on a Clemson is pretty sweet, where it's a complete waste of a skill in the higher tiers. Anywho, useful thread here:

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/63493-benson-5-point-skill/

Nice thread, but no poll, that's why I made this one.

Also tiers 7+.

Edited by Blixies

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
773 posts
7,411 battles

On any DD CE is the single most important skill imho as it doesn't just reduce the range you get detected at, it reduces the penalty to detection from firing your guns.

Detecting an enemy dd before it sees you is a monumental advantage.

Personally i usually go with se in the fourth slot. In a Benson it means you can take a Torp without dying, but the other guy can't. Also in any 1vs1 it gives you better odds of walking away.

And once the enemy DDs are done for, ce comes into its own for firing and torpedo runs.

I'd rather be able to shoot 20+% more shells with impunity than have a small buff to fire chance.

[BONI]
Players
1,063 posts
9,319 battles

All those 5 CE points go to waste if some CV just hovers one of his several squadrons over you.

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,072 posts
9,792 battles

All those 5 CE points go to waste if some CV just hovers one of his several squadrons over you.

​whats a CV? If you would see on in every game C hull would have a point on certain DDs. As it stands specing yourself for their presence is a waste.

Players
3,569 posts
7,331 battles

And all those 5 points come in full force when you can stalk enemy DDs, watching them panic or simply butchering them up close with Dual Purpose Mortars.

On any DD CE is the single most important skill imho as it doesn't just reduce the range you get detected at, it reduces the penalty to detection from firing your guns.

Detecting an enemy dd before it sees you is a monumental advantage.

Personally i usually go with se in the fourth slot. In a Benson it means you can take a Torp without dying, but the other guy can't. Also in any 1vs1 it gives you better odds of walking away.

And once the enemy DDs are done for, ce comes into its own for firing and torpedo runs.

I'd rather be able to shoot 20+% more shells with impunity than have a small buff to fire chance.

Russian hightier DDs can get along without CE just fine, actually AFT+Demo is one of the better set ups to maximize damage whoring and pissing off enemy team.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,328 posts
5,725 battles

CE is increased survivability.  Definitely more useful SE but the points others have made are valid.  I go for DE on my Benson/Fletcher because I play randoms and want to watch the world burn.

Players
0 posts
115 battles

I have DE and CE.

AFT is useless because of the arcs.

With CE you can still stealth fire close to your max range but again the shell arcs dont make that easy.

If your focus is dd hunt you will never regret CE and SE.

Same goes if you plan to do ranked and friendly clan matches

Players
1,058 posts
7,676 battles

You didn't specify which tiers. For example, AFT on a Clemson is pretty sweet, where it's a complete waste of a skill in the higher tiers. Anywho, useful thread here:

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/63493-benson-5-point-skill/

I don't think AFT is a complete waste in high tiers, since it extends your invisifiring range, but I personally considered the extra hp from SE more important due to the anti-DD purpose of US DDs. AFT, SE and DE are all good picks for DDs in my opinion, but CE is simply too big of an advantage for US/IJN DDs to give up.

Players
3,569 posts
7,331 battles

CE is increased survivability.  Definitely more useful SE but the points others have made are valid.  I go for DE on my Benson/Fletcher because I play randoms and want to watch the world burn.

60% increase in fire chance seems massive, but you still end up with shitty fire chance of 8%, base value for Russians or Błyskawica. Which goes down to 4% fire chance against tier 10. Even "OP" Kebab with Demo and both fire chance flags have 12% fire chance. Decent, but still not really close for Zao.

I don't think AFT is a complete waste in high tiers, since it extends your invisifiring range, but I personally considered the extra hp from SE more important due to the anti-DD purpose of US DDs. AFT, SE and DE are all good picks for DDs in my opinion, but CE is simply too big of an advantage for US/IJN DDs to give up.

Shell flight time becomes to long even BBs can evade/minimize damage from salvos from Dual Purpose Mortars past 12km

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

CE doesn't anymore have effect to also gunfire detection penalty.

That was changed couple patches ago.