Sign in to follow this  
creamgravy

Royal Navy CL captain skills

24 comments in this topic

Players
2,376 posts
15,503 battles

Hi guys.

Now the RN CL line has been released without HE what's the plan for captain skills? Here's two I'm thinking about for Edinburgh. :great:

Sensible (7 vs 7 ranked build)

1. Basics of Survivabilty (let those fires burn for your heal)

2. Torpedo Armament Expertise (65 second reload!) or Expert Marksman (Reduces turret rotation by 2.3 seconds over 360 degrees)

3. Superintendent (no brainier)

4. Survivability Expert (39,600 HP for the heal) or Advanced Firing Training (buff close/mid range AA)

5. Concealment Expert (9km surface detection is essential)

6. Expert Marksman + Basic Firing Training (or Vigilance)

http://shipcomrade.com/skillcalc/00100110000000100100000100

or

TRIGGERED (Random battles secondary HE spam build)

1. Basic Firing Training (I need)

2. Torpedo Armament Expertise (to get)

3. Torpedo Acceleration (within 7.6km)

4. Advanced Firing Training (to burn)

5. Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament (those BBabies)

http://shipcomrade.com/skillcalc/01000110001000001000010000

Players
116 posts
3,229 battles

I still have not decided how i should spec my Fiji & Leander captains, except 1 point in ship survivability, the rest is still unspent for me.

Any ideas?

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,536 battles

Well I play too many ships to get that level of captain (it is deliberately, always starts them from scratch, well I pay 25 for 3 lvl), and I have started the tree now.

One thing I am toying with is to use more basic low level skills.

OPs original suggestions make sense but let us consider this builds

Lvl 1 BoS,

Lvl 2 EM, Torp Arn, Last stand

Lvl 3 HA, SI

This is 13 Points on 10 Points Drop HA

I am not overly convinced by the 4 lvl skills and I will not reach the levels until far away in the future for CE to be an option.

Players
356 posts
11,291 battles

I use this on my Leander

1: BoS

2: Expert Marksman or Incoming Fire Alert

3: Superintetned

4: Suvivability expert

5: Concealment expert (to get)

Getting Torpedo Armament Expertise would be useless as it only gives a tiny buff to the reload, while Incoming Fire Alert would keep you in the game for longer so don't just get nuked.

But we need a captain skill for stopping faster call it "Anchors away" or "Iceberg ahead" (i'm thinking of Titanic hitting the iceberg each time i see a torp from far away and try to avoid it but then it goes slowmotion and you hit it right on the tip of the bow) so the ships actaully stops faster and don't glide into torps and out of smoke.

Edited by Cpt_BrownBear
  • Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Are any of the ships weak in the engine/steering enough to make Last Stand worth it?

Players
2,376 posts
15,503 battles

No last stand isn't worth it, engines from tier 6+ are very reliable. (Although I've got it on my Leander captain thanks to the Campbeltown :))

Weekend Tester
541 posts
4,965 battles

Are any of the ships weak in the engine/steering enough to make Last Stand worth it?

I happen to have it on my Danae captain. Unfortunately, I don't think it achieves much - if you take an engine or rudder hit (I've lost the rudder several times), you are usually only a second or two away from being deleted anyway.

If you're receiving shells big enough to damage engines or steering, then you're dead anyway....

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,678 posts
5,569 battles

Last stand is useful on the low tier stuff if you get HE spammed. Currently though low tiers consists on RN CL spamming AP, or BB with AP as well 

Beta Tester
194 posts
5,634 battles

I just had a game in the Emerald where I took 6 engine or steering destroyed crits which is making me think last stand is essential for the British cruisers, is this just a low tier thing?

At one point I popped smoke to cover my retreat, got my steering taken out which cause me to pull a full circle in front of the enemy fleet before getting my engine destroyed at just the right point to drift to a stop back in my own smoke :/

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
437 posts
2,980 battles

Most of the builds are similar apart from the Belfast and Minotaur.

Essentially i'd go with

BoS

EM

SI

AFT

CE

Thats what id roll on most.

For the Belfast id drop AFT for DE

For the Minotaur, i'd drop EM for either Torp exp, incoming fire or last stand.

The other skill to be considered instead of AFT would be manual fire control for AA due to your range of AA out ranges your spot range of planes so an increase of DPS might be superior. But this is a personal preferance.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

If you're taking AFT anyway is it worth going all out secondaries? I can't think of anything else useful in the second module slot, doesn't feel like they need the accuracy mod and you usually get quite close.

Players
2,376 posts
15,503 battles

Yeah, that's what I've settled on for my Gerard Butler brawler.

Equipment upgrades:

Auxiliary Armaments Modification 1: The main guns are well armoured and torpedo tubes are hidden. Protect your AA modules from HE spam. (Still not 100% sold)

Damage Control System Modification 1: You never loose engines.

Steering Gears Modification 2: Easy choice.

Secondary Battery Modification 2: Useful agasint ships rushing your smoke or DDs appearing in sonar range. (AA Guns Modification 2 would be better in a CV heavy meta)

Concealment System Modification 1: Easy choice.

Captain skills.

Basics of Survivabilty.

Torpedo Armament Expertise.

Expert Marksman.

Superintendent.

Survivability Expert (gives you 60-80k HP with your super heal and India Delta)

Concealment Expert.

(Basic Firing Training will be my last skill)

PzZfXVU.jpg

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
437 posts
2,980 battles

If you're taking AFT anyway is it worth going all out secondaries? I can't think of anything else useful in the second module slot, doesn't feel like they need the accuracy mod and you usually get quite close.

The only other useful one especially on later ships would be the AA mod
  • Cool 1

[CLADS]
Beta Tester
45 posts
8,548 battles

Would be fun to try troll spec with full secondary.

7,6km range on them, flag + 20% dispersion mod + 60% dispersion captain skill instead of CE. Sit in smoke and spam HE every 2.6 seconds

while your AP reloads ;)

Fun but rarely useful probably

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Can you explain how you're getting that 60k-80k HP number out of SE?

Players
2,376 posts
15,503 battles

By looking at damage received at the end of the game. :honoring:

(SE is still a bit subjective, I haven't tested/calculated anything :hiding: Don't forget you can heal citadel and torpedo damage like normal)

hUd7c5m.jpg

dZNYtl4.jpg

LhTMV7r.jpg

NmmX1ho.jpg

PwWF0Nb.jpg

(I had over 20k HP left)

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

I will defer to your experience since I don't own those high tier ships but looking at the power of the heal and HP gain from SE I would think those tanking numbers are more due to the former than the latter.

Players
2,376 posts
15,503 battles

I will defer to your experience since I don't own those high tier ships but looking at the power of the heal and HP gain from SE I would think those tanking numbers are more due to the former than the latter.

I think SE gives an extra 5000-6000 HP when you include the heal (13-15%) but it's tough give a good estimation. However that initial 9% boost goes a long way when your in the front line.

6000 HP vs manual AA (or AFT) is a tough one in a CV heavy meta. They're all good options. :great:

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

OK crunched some numbers, the heal theoretically recovers 160% of your total HP (2% per sec * 20 sec * 4 charges). SE at T8 gives 3200. Full heal potential on the SE bonus is an additional 5120 (3200*1.6) for a total of 8320 bonus HP from SE assuming the heal is used to full theoretical potential. If you're tanking 80k damage on a a 40k HP ship you're recovering just over 100%, so you're using the heal at about 2/3 efficiency (100/160). Adjusting the 5120 by this factor of 2/3 gives ~3400, so effective additional HP from SE on that performance assumption is 3200+3400=7600. Purely theoretical of course.

• Cool 1

Players
116 posts
3,229 battles

OK crunched some numbers, the heal theoretically recovers 160% of your total HP (2% per sec * 20 sec * 4 charges). SE at T8 gives 3200. Full heal potential on the SE bonus is an additional 5120 (3200*1.6) for a total of 8320 bonus HP from SE assuming the heal is used to full theoretical potential. If you're tanking 80k damage on a a 40k HP ship you're recovering just over 100%, so you're using the heal at about 2/3 efficiency (100/160). Adjusting the 5120 by this factor of 2/3 gives ~3400, so effective additional HP from SE on that performance assumption is 3200+3400=7600. Purely theoretical of course.

So for someone who is still abit confused, what would you take for the Fiji, SE or AFT?

typo

Edited by Fred3n

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

So for someone who is still abit confused, what would you take for the Fiji, BS or AFT?

Err, no idea I've barely had time to play recently so I'm only on Caledon, instead spending time trying to work out what's best myself. I think though the super-heal is only on T8+ so Fiji won't get anywhere near those numbers from SE.

Players
116 posts
3,229 battles

Err, no idea I've barely had time to play recently so I'm only on Caledon, instead spending time trying to work out what's best myself. I think though the super-heal is only on T8+ so Fiji won't get anywhere near those numbers from SE.

Good to know, might for for AFT then since i am stopping at Fiji and will most likely not go for Edinborough

*About the typo, good you got my meaning though, meant Survivability Expert ofc and not "BS" :P

Alpha Tester
120 posts
2,477 battles

So for someone who is still abit confused, what would you take for the Fiji, SE or AFT?

Like with the rest of them, I used Manual AA skill with AA range upgrade modification on Fiji. Just sold it after unlocking Edinburgh because I have Belfast.

There's a good argument to be made for AFT instead of Manual AA on Belfast and Minotaur specifically. But I'm not gonna have a dedicated Belfast captain, and if I'm already increasing the range by 20% on Minotaur then the majority of guns will already reach as far or further than I can self-spot the planes.

I feel the AA range upgrade is worth the slot on these ships because the max ranges, accuracy and volume of shells don't leave me crying for the measly dispersion reduction, and I have no need to be desperate for turret traverse. Certainly not building them for secondaries either. Manual AA instead of AFT creates new AA dps out of nothing instead of just increasing uptime on existing guns, and mostly the doubled dps of the high caliber AA guns on this ship line is similar or even bigger than that of the mid range guns. Neptune is the promised land of Manual AA.

The Fiji is a bit less stealthy than Leander/Edin/Minotaur so you could use both range increases to make the AA reach the limit of your air detectability in full stealth build. I don't think you can self-spot all the planes that far, unfortunately. For the more stealthy boats single +20% is enough to reach to their air detectability.

Edit:

In (only) 22 battles, my Fiji shot down average 2.5 planes per battle. Notably my Cleveland has only shot down a meager 2.4 planes per battle even though eu.warships.today tracked average is 2.7.

This is a stat that heavily depends on how many carriers you meet and how much they target you, or how willingly they even bring planes near you. My British cruisers do get targeted because carriers know I lack Def AA, although I have very good success rate in dodging torpedoes with them so I would hardly call them easy targets. Dive bomber RNG damage can potentially wreck against the weak deck armor though.

AA speccing also helps shoot down planes that prevent using stealth, and at least right now carriers often bring planes near smokescreens without realizing there's cruiser AA in it instead of just destroyers. Meanwhile, my most recent Cleveland games happened with Hydroacoustics because carriers avoid it anyway.

Edited by Ksielvin

Sign in to follow this