You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
txtspeak

Thinking of getting a premium

49 comments in this topic

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

Ok, in a few of my posts, I've made (admitedly somewhat ridiculous) threats about "not giving Wargaming my money if they dont do this and that" and so on. But on most of the counts, they have indeed done what I wanted them to (although I HIGHLY doubt that it would be down to me)

so I think it's time to pay WG back for being awesome for the last few months. so I'm planning on getting a premium ship, and quite a few good ones have been released recently. Scharnhorst, Prinz Eugen and the much anticipated Belfast.

so, I've been thinking. which one should I get. at the moment I'm leaning towards the Scharnhorst because it's powerful, it had actual significance in the war and because it's SEXY AS FRICK! seriously, it's by far the best looking ship in the game.

I have a budget of about £35 pound sterling, dunno (or care) how much that is in euro. what would you awesome people recommend?

[TAITO]
Players
325 posts
4,917 battles

Im dd player but Scharnhorst is solid choice if you like to play in that tier area.

[GOEPT]
[GOEPT]
Weekend Tester
544 posts
8,701 battles

Scharnhorst can be more forgiving by mistakes or sustain some when retreating, MM aint bad either since u can get mostly of the games tiers 6/7 into 8/9.

And if u aint that great of a player and only casual, (once again) this boat is alot more forgiving.

Prinz Eugen is a bad choice, if u gonna buy a tiers 8 cruiser Atago and Kutuzo are far better due to their special consumables, with can bring them into battle or stay at battle. for my personal Prinz Eugen, its a rubish ship...and to be honestly dunno how many times i 1 shoted this boat.

About the Belfast, sure its good although you need to have knowgele about the game mechanics and be VEARY skilled, not to mention situal hareness, 1 simple mistake can be fatal for you, also the boat does not like CV's.

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

OP your decision will be based massively on which ship class you enjoy playing the most. Also, do you have any preference on nationality for captain training? 

For the Germans, Scharnhorst is a great ship although her guns can struggle a little given their lower calibre to her 15" peers. If you want the bigger guns I would honestly recommend the Tirpitz, she's a fun ship and those torpedoes can offer some "LOL wut" moments, like double striking a Gneisenau and Tirpitz with both sets of torps (port and starboard) pretty much at the same time.

Japanese side Atago is just an utterly incredible ship if you are used to their play style, the fire spam against BB's is hilarious and it's heal allows you to stay in the fight for FAR longer than most other cruisers at that tier would allow.

Americans, Arizona is a decent BB but really I'm not overwhelmed by most of their premiums.

Molotov can give some funny lolpen moments with citadels for days if anyone gives you their broadside. Leningrad too isn't a bad ship she reminds me of the Gremy in some ways.

Warspite too is a good ship although she can get trolled by the MM, I still managed to come second only to a Bismarck in a T8 game in mine earlier today with 90k dmg done. Died to fires from Bismarck secondaries because "lol 10km range balanced".

There are ultimately so many premiums out there now it depends what classes you like to play, just don't get the Saiapn. CV economy is just utter trash atm. Me personally, going to get the Belfast as soon as possible!

• Cool 1

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

uuuerh... this really doesnt help all that much.

I dont care that much about captain training (although german would probably be nice, if i ever got around to captain training) so nationality is not important

and about playstyle... I play all classes of ships bar CVs, so im not entirely sure there either.

although your argument have pushed me more towards the Scharnhorst (If I can citadel battleships with the Pensacola I can do with with the Scharnhorst, right?)

Players
1,008 posts

As a Brit, I sooo want the Belfast, but I suspect it wont suit me. But I sure as hell also want the Scharnhorst. Torn between the two, but am leaning towards Scharnhorst simply because there will be a whole bunch of Belfast's soon.

[NED]
Players
1,644 posts
6,144 battles

Man difficult to make a recommendation here.

- kutuzov great money maker great AA great guns and fantastic range comes with smoke and with DE its quite a flamethrower though its fragile.

- Scharnhorst has a decent broadside but the best thing is being a bully and charge head on towards your prey while they struggle to do any damage to you also its HE can be surprisingly effective also very sexy looking ship.

- Leningrad its a very well rounded DD with good guns good torps and a warp engine to get where you want to be fast you can really pick and choose your fights with this speed demon.

I would not recommend the Eugen its just a hipper that makes more money and trains captains faster and with the current bb heavy meta you will get smashed quickly something the kutuzov avoids due to its massive range and smokescreen ability.

The Eugen is also AP heavy and having not so great HE is painful for a cruiser.

If you can only pick one i would say the Scharnhorst is a great choice tier 7 gets very good mm lately and its trollish armor can make you really bully enemy cruisers its the closest to being a pirate in this game :-)

Players
711 posts

Ok, in a few of my posts, I've made (admitedly somewhat ridiculous) threats about "not giving Wargaming my money if they dont do this and that" and so on. But on most of the counts, they have indeed done what I wanted them to (although I HIGHLY doubt that it would be down to me)

so I think it's time to pay WG back for being awesome for the last few months. so I'm planning on getting a premium ship, and quite a few good ones have been released recently. Scharnhorst, Prinz Eugen and the much anticipated Belfast.

so, I've been thinking. which one should I get. at the moment I'm leaning towards the Scharnhorst because it's powerful, it had actual significance in the war and because it's SEXY AS FRICK! seriously, it's by far the best looking ship in the game.

I have a budget of about £35 pound sterling, dunno (or care) how much that is in euro. what would you awesome people recommend?

Get the Belfast, it's OP as [edited]

[GRKEN]
Supertester
1,041 posts
3,463 battles

Choices: 

• T6: Molotov. By far one of the most OP ships in the game.
  • T7: Scharn,Leningrad. Very competitive ships on their tier. Leningrad is outright better than any T7 DD imho.
  • T8; Atago,Kutuzov. Money printers plus excellent features for RB. Its eems though that they will be out of your budget

Edit: Forgot the Belfast. Its a Flint that can be bought with money. Nuff said.

Edited by Mister_Greek

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,088 posts
14,054 battles

Just buy the Belfast! She seems like a Flint, but even more disgustingly OP. She's like a cruiser version of the Saipan.

Players
116 posts

Scharnhorst is the best ship in the game fore it's tier. She can use ap ammo to quickly annihilate enemy cl/ca and he to fight dd's plus he against higher tier bb's to burn them down.

If not her then her older sister Tirpitz, as she can fight against even t9 bb's with a decent degree of succes.

In the lesser tiers Arizona and Texas is ok and can earn you some good credits, also Warspite is a good choice if you can live with her very slow turret rotation and being prone to catch fire.

Good luck and have fun at the high seas!

P.S. (you can also just wait and hope to get a free premium ship from the new crates ha ha!)

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

OK, in accordance with everyones recommendations I have bought a scharnhorst, it is sitting in my port looking sexeh and I am going to play some awesome games in it.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
367 posts
2,137 battles

I'mma hijack your thread.

To those in the know, does the Atago in any way play like a Yorck, because contrary to what is said about it, I am doing surprisingly well in the ship. She has troll armour and a DE captain really gets those HE shells working.

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

Imma hijack it back.

first game in the scharnhorst: 100K damage.

Image result for no regrets meme

It will be up on the achievments thread momentairly

Edited by txtspeak
  • Cool 3

[NED]
Players
1,644 posts
6,144 battles

Imma hijack it back.

first game in the scharnhorst: 100K damage.

Image result for no regrets meme

Did you feel like a pirate ?

[SCRUB]
Players
2,732 posts
7,398 battles

I dont have it, but gun layout would sound more similar to myoko. I cant decide either... Would love to play Sharnhorst, but in the same time, Belfast seems like something you wouldnt want to miss. Does smeone have any info if she will be sold in the tech tree. I want to spend gold, not fresh money. Also, how the h does this system work? Prem store vs. Tech tree...

[HF_30]
Players
1,320 posts

What we need is more people with bipolar disorder, making useless threads on these forums

As somebody who was wrongly diagnosed with that crapI take some offence. 

Nah, not really, not personally, but nevertheless it's not exactly good manners. It's a [edited]serious condition, a lot of people end up killing themselves because of it. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

As somebody who was wrongly diagnosed with that crapI take some offence. 

Nah, not really, not personally, but nevertheless it's not exactly good manners. It's a [edited]serious condition, a lot of people end up killing themselves because of it. 

In the internet, you get used to people insulting you. one way or another.

[HF_30]
Players
1,320 posts

In the internet, you get used to people insulting you. one way or another.

Certainly true. Still, it can only help in the long run to stand up to it and well... politely show people the error of their ways. Because smacking them behind the ear is really hard to do on the internet, which explains quite a lot imho. 

Oh, nearly forgot: enjoy the shiny horse, she looks like a lot of fun. 

Edited by tenacious_torps
  • Cool 2

Beta Tester
367 posts
2,137 battles

I dont have it, but gun layout would sound more similar to myoko. I cant decide either... Would love to play Sharnhorst, but in the same time, Belfast seems like something you wouldnt want to miss. Does smeone have any info if she will be sold in the tech tree. I want to spend gold, not fresh money. Also, how the h does this system work? Prem store vs. Tech tree...

Prem store - Real money, ship comes with a port slot

Tech tree - Real money to purchase Doubloons, use Doubloons to purchase the ship in-game, ship DOES NOT come with a port slot.

A new premium ship can only be purchased from the premium store for two/three patches before it is added to the in-game tech trees.

As for the Belfast, Flamu said that if it turns out to be good as he thinks it is we are looking at a Gremyaschy/Imperator Nikolai scenario; the ship will never be sold again once its run in the prem store is over. It may even be pulled earlier if it is deemed to be that good, a la SU-76I in World of Tanks. I think it lasted less than 24-hours before it was yanked.

Edited by thestaggy