Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SovereignV2

North Carolina! Opinions post buff?

29 comments in this topic

Players
17 posts
1,429 battles

Right, I just unlocked this beauty after a painful grind (I didn't like the Colorado at all, even though I did quite well in it).

I couldn't find any reviews about the post buff Carolina, or I might suck at searching but oh well. 

I haven't played a single game in it, been mostly focusing on making a nice skin (did very well, if I may say so myself).

Players
1,015 posts
4,182 battles

Loving it. I already had some 150 games with her pre-buff and my avg. dmg was around 69k. Couldn't cross the 70k mark. Now I am sitting just shy of 75k and rising every game. If you have any experience with german BBs, for me coming back from Bismarck this thing feels like a sniper. Best AA at its tier and very tanky bow on, not to mention just enough maneuverable to dodge salvos thrown at you and steel fishes.

If interested, take a loot at my todays replay:

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/19680

- just one game, 160k dmg and recently many of them are well over 100k

For more see Flamu's video:

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,324 posts
9,088 battles

Is that the buff though T_H_O_R or maybe you just got better?:P

Players
1,015 posts
4,182 battles

Is that the buff though T_H_O_R or maybe you just got better?:P

You definitely have a point. I did get better with BBs since I started playing NC. However, new gun sigma makes for less missed shots and reliable cruiser deletions when needed (i.e. broadside up close that I'd miss with Bismarck for instance).

Even with the old NC that I struggled with initial 40-50 odd games, I managed to bring to +50% WR. It hasn't stopped rising since. :)

With the recent buffs I will argue that she is the best BB in the USN line, tier per tier.

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,324 posts
9,088 battles

You definitely have a point. I did get better with BBs since I started playing NC. However, new gun sigma makes for less missed shots and reliable cruiser deletions when needed (i.e. broadside up close that I'd miss with Bismarck for instance).

Even with the old NC that I struggled with initial 40-50 odd games, I managed to bring to +50% WR. It hasn't stopped rising since. :)

With the recent buffs I will argue that she is the best BB in the USN line, tier per tier.

She definitely is a beauty

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,678 posts
5,569 battles

Normally I'll free XP a ton of modules on a ship. The NC I decided to run it out completely stock (even had my captain retraining too instead of doing the retraining in a premium ship).

Currently 69%WR (only 16 games) and 82k average damage.

Honestly it's a breath of fresh air after the colorado

Players
1,011 posts
10,306 battles

I had the North Cal since the fall of 2015. The buff fixed the guns otherwise its the same ship.....a nice BB with good armor and AA.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,979 posts
8,603 battles

Hi all,

The "North Carolina" is great! :)

I use my 16 point Captain with it and i is really nice ship...

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

Although I  unlocked the "Iowa" some time ago I think I will stop with "North Carolina" for the USN BB line for the time being and continue to play her...

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
12,943 battles

if glorious freedom arcs beeing able to citadel angled ships at mid range with incredible accuracy arent enough you also get absolutely god tier AA 

NC in ranked is just god you can dump 20k solvos intoall the angled Bismarcks and Tirpitz 

I dont recommand going further down the line compareed to the NC Iowa and Montana are rather lackluster

still dont know how I can keep this up (this is post buff btw)

Battles    WIN           DMG      XP

PASB018.pngIowaBB     USA    85      62.35%     71,372    1,726    1.4    1.0    4.5    31%    28%    0%    1,264

Edited by Kaseko

[NWP]
Players
1,769 posts
12,134 battles

I can recommend going to Iowa. She's just like NC, but even better.

This really, Iowa is an improved NC and very much worth it.

As for NC: the first fast US BB, amazing concealement ( lol when surprising cruiser at 12 km ) and great aa.

[NED]
Players
1,642 posts
6,129 battles

I had her pre-buff and hated the shotgun dispersion at the time sold her for the iowa but i am getting interested in picking her up now that so many seem to like her.

Players
3,572 posts
7,334 battles

This really, Iowa is an improved NC and very much worth it.

As for NC: the first fast US BB, amazing concealement ( lol when surprising cruiser at 12 km ) and great aa.

Iowa loses BADLY in terms of protection - Citadel extends well above waterline, unlike NC. Also thanks to outer plating Iowa takes regular penetration damage on entire ship (shell penetrates 25-30mm of armor, shell is stopped by inner plating = regular pen dmg). Guns aren't that much better, AA is only mildly better, but ship is significantly longer and loses on turn radius a lot. Something that doesn't combine well with the best torps USN/IJN and RU has to offer.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
773 posts
7,419 battles

I found NC to be more like yamato, Iowa to be more like amagi.

It's a bit ironic that the NC is the first USB bb with some speed but tends to move slowly bow on our of choice ;-)

That said, the buff improved the gun handling noticeably. May have even been a touch too far, the amagi had to give up armour and gun layout for that accuracy...

[NED]
Players
4,193 posts
11,706 battles

Somehow I have a bit of trouble making the NC function. Lots of overpens, bounces and the mysterious pen-but no damage hits... Sometimes I consider it to be renamed the "Rainbow warrior"

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
12,943 battles

dont really think the Iowa is that good my Friedrich eats them for breakfast

Players
720 posts
8,665 battles

Somehow I have a bit of trouble making the NC function. Lots of overpens, bounces and the mysterious pen-but no damage hits... Sometimes I consider it to be renamed the "Rainbow warrior"

I played the NC a lot immediately after the buff and she was awesome. So I decided to use her for this seasons ranked.

Reaches into cupboard and puts on my tin-foil hat.

Lo and behold the shotgun dispersion is back. She still hits hard, but not as often ( stealth nerf? )

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,408 posts
14,616 battles

If this helps, I played North Carolina before and after the gun buff in different accounts, and these are the stats for comparison:

Before the buff 

NorthCarOLD.jpg

And after the buff 

NorthCarNEW.jpg

It must be said that the latest "after the buff" games were played with the second hull from the start, while the old stats includes the grind from stock ship. Hit ratio is slightly better now, which is something that was really frustrating in the old North Carolina, even at mid ranges.

NorthCarOLD.jpg

NorthCarNEW.jpg

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,650 battles

If it's really that good I might rebuy and spec my 15 pt stealth captain from the Iowa to her. I barely use T9 ships due to the dull meta

Sign in to follow this