You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Tyke

Compliments

41 comments in this topic

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

Or as Bill and Ted would say "Be nice to each other"

I'm curious how many of you ever use the 'Compliment' option on another player. 

I constantly see people screaming in the chat "REPORT (player x)" for whatever reason, but I do not think I have ever seen anyone recommending another player for a compliment. There is 7 per day, you know, just like the reports.

Me? Yup, I make sure I use all my daily quota where I see either good/supportive teamwork, or anyone who does something exceptionally well. Most I give out after I have been sent to Davy Jones locker (usually quite early on) and I am watching the rest of the game in spectator mode. 

How about you?

• Cool 4

[T_D_G]
Players
380 posts
8,290 battles

When I play I usually spend them all or I try to, because doesnt take from you any effort to compliment somebody because you considered his gameplay good/optimal or whatever reason you can have in a match

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,517 battles

I do compliment players, but only if I felt they've been particularily helpful when I needed it, had a steller performance (like that Gneisenau today with his 7 kills on our team) or in very rare cases when I heard a really, really good joke or entertaining banter. I also make it a policy of complimenting every CV player who has been doing a decent enough job as little motivator for them to keep doing that and improving (we all know how rare it is to actually have a competent CV player, don't we?).

But I'm a bit picky, so I hardly ever use up all my compliments for a day. That however also means I tend to have spare compliments lying around to shower a fellow forumite with when I happen to meet one ingame (cronyism is such a neat thing).

On the flipside, today was rather special ... I got complimented three times. Typically I can do as well as I want to and chances are I'll rather get reported by some salty kid whom I sunk (since I very, very, VERY rarely speak out harshly in chat there are only exceptional opportunities for someone to have another reason for reporting me).

That made me a happy kill securer! :medal:

• Cool 2

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,504 posts

I'm using both reports and compliments regularly. In their intended implementation.

I'll not report someone in revenge. I'll mostly report abusive chat behavior. We have a few players right here on the forum who admit to being abusive every once in a while. It'll cost them karma if I notice it, and it'll potentially end in a chat ban for them.

I'll compliment if I see someone who is actually helpfull in chat or when a player is performing very good while I take notice of it. I'll not casually compliment for good end results. The actions I reward compliments for need to be above simple kill counts. One example would be a player holding a base or flank alone for several minutes until relieve forces arrives. Even if the player died doing that, he probably was a big help to the team and earned a Karma increase.

Of course in the end it means nothing. Except for the chat bans, reports and compliments do nothing. Yet still it is important for some players so why not reward or punish them with a change on a virtual counter if they deserve and desire it.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
773 posts
7,411 battles

Yeah tend to give more reports to my own side and compliments begrudgingly to both.

Had a great Atlanta player yesterday who stuck with my bb as we defended a cap against multiple enemies. He did an amazing job and couldn't have asked for better target selection or positioning.

• Cool 1

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,316 posts
9,076 battles

I only report people who kill me :trollface:. No, but seriously, what's this compliment button you're all talking about?

[ST-EU]
Supertester
3,402 posts
18,053 battles

I always compliment players on either side that warrant it. Had a battle tonight (lost) in which one player on our team demanded that my division get reported (we finished 1-2-3) because he got sunk previously. This is what makes the current system useless as it is open to abuse rather than there to promote thanks and (in some eyes) poor performance. Get rid of Karma ....period. :red_button:

[KOOKS]
Modder, Beta Tester
1,340 posts
3,342 battles

I compliment good players all the time, or those that do team-play that is. Supporting each other, doing strategy in chat, helping the team win by playing together. Solo warriors get none.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,977 posts
8,571 battles

Hi all,

I always use my (7) allotment of Compliments ("Plays Well")! :)

I give them to player on my team if he/she killed 3 or more ships or if he/she performed some great deed for the team...

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

I also "let off steam" with "Plays Poorly" when I am furious at my team (camping BBs, not CAPing DDs etc.)... :hiding:

[EYLIG]
Beta Tester
256 posts
15,851 battles

I rarely end a day without utilising all my reports and compliments. In most cases I do tell those beneficiaries that they have just been complimented... or reported. 
After all, that is what feedback is ultimately aimed at: Alteration of behaviour.
("Did that guy really just report me? Awww... really? 4 Reports?! Maybe I should just shut up next time." :sceptic:)

If one is not as vain as I am and does not regularly keep peeping at their karma, they might never realise people disapprove of their behaviour, unless they get banned... or told in chat.

Same applies for compliments. No harm in telling someone, opponents included, that you are impressed by their performance. Especially after just having been saved, smoked, assisted or after great caps or decaps... even after having been outplayed REALLY hard.
If I'd say "thank you" in RL, I usually compliment.

P.S.: The common CV-reporting, just because you are mad, is about as pathetic, as it can get. Pls refrein from that. Save those reports for teamkillers, afk-bots and and people that are openly insulting others. .

Edited by Doerte

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
773 posts
7,411 battles

Divisions with one player, and mentioned karma. He said "what is this?"

I said "it's the little number next to your name in the profile, probably says like 5 or 6. What does yours say?"

"82"

I shut up then... :)

[RAIN]
Players
2,857 posts
15,564 battles

I usually give all my reports and compliments during a 10 games session. I do not know why but the reports seems to be spend faster than my compliments... I give a +1 to when an ally manage to do a great game or a team play action. I also give karma to the nice guys I know when we meet in game. Regarding the reports, I use them in priority for abusing language because I don't like flame and we know that this report really matters and lead to a ban chat! I heard that the bot and play bad do not have a real impact! Aaaaand I definition need more report and an AFK reason for putting some -1...

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Beta Tester
229 posts
6,422 battles

Or as Bill and Ted would say "Be nice to each other"

I'm curious how many of you ever use the 'Compliment' option on another player. 

I constantly see people screaming in the chat "REPORT (player x)" for whatever reason, but I do not think I have ever seen anyone recommending another player for a compliment. There is 7 per day, you know, just like the reports.

Me? Yup, I make sure I use all my daily quota where I see either good/supportive teamwork, or anyone who does something exceptionally well. Most I give out after I have been sent to Davy Jones locker (usually quite early on) and I am watching the rest of the game in spectator mode. 

How about you?

I try to use my daily quota everyday.

Dont mind dishing out most in one game, if it was a really good one.

Players
0 posts
115 battles

I usually try to use them all.
Most of my reports for bad play go usually towards my team.
Camping,sniping,not pushing,not caping when they could/should.

Compliments, i usually split them between the 2 teams.
As i usually play dds i will compliment a good knife fight or proper hit and run tactics on dds of the other team.
As for my team, compliments go towards bbs who push,cruisers who radar,cvs that protected their fleet and people who generally talk strategy and work for the team and not for personal score.
I will occasionally compliment based on kills but if i have not seen part of their gameplay to judge i usually dont.
99% of the time i will inform people that they got a compliment.

About chat reports.
When in a full potato team i will not report the rage on chat as i feel the exact same way.
For flame that i find unreasonable i will usually dump 2-3 reports on the same person and inform them on chat with a line like "Reported for extreme stupidity".
For people on the opposite team who get c0cky on chat a report reward awaits them on port.

Alpha Tester
244 posts
10,607 battles

Spending it very often on people who think while playing and help their teammates, rather than on players who know how to shoot / torp and, for example, have 4 kills. Smoking, using smoke, capping, protecting the base, using planes to scout or protect endangered ships, smth like that is what i give compliments for, in randoms.

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

I compliment. And I will compliment a good player on the enemy team too.

And this is good, which I do too.

But I think 7 points is too small. I think we could spend one +1 and -1 every single game.

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

But I think 7 points is too small. I think we could spend one +1 and -1 every single game.

Suggest it. 

On those occasions that I want to give a +1, and find I am spent up, that would be the perfect solution

Beta Tester
449 posts
3,053 battles

I allways try and make a point of using my compliments when I can. For both teams. For me good play is worth complimenting even if it is they guy that just sank you with such play. I would like to see these karma points and such mean a bit more than they do currently tho

[CU]
Players
296 posts
3,439 battles

Yep, I compliment people regularly both my team and the opposing team and report people rarely. 

I had an interesting game today, got deliberately shot by a teammate within a minute of the game start then had to put up with abuse all game from him for being a bot (I replied) and being cancer, oh and then when I noticed the cap was clear, called a LOOZER for winning the game. So he got reported, even knowing it won't make any difference, it made me feel better.

Edited by Malfuss

Players
744 posts
7,392 battles

good play on either side, amusing chat/banter both sides, sinking me with style, heck even amusing salt ... all get compliments from me

abuse in chat, offensive (not at all funny) salt, any sort of haxusation on either side ... misbehavior in chat

diabolical play (i mean not just making a mistake or showing broadside) on my side or giving away locations or TKing ... bad play report

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,609 posts
5,132 battles

Compliment - I do use it if I notice the good play of a player, or if they are constructive in chat. I don't do it often enough though, to my mind.

I have both complimented a player for good play and also reported him for abusive chat in the same game, he played very well but was a total plonker in chat :)