puxflacet

Fix for the camouflages

• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

68 posts in this topic

No, you are not the only person dissatisifed with the horrible non gold camo in fact I have modified the camouflages.xml file to give most nations a monotone nation specific grey colour so at least to resemble real naval ship camoflages.

I don't understand why realistic camouflages, first in WoT and now, in WoWS are so readily discarded for fantasy camos when they spend so much time and effort to make beautiful 3D models:hmm:

Edited by atomskytten

6 people like this

Yeah the Japanese standard camos trigger me so hard. I blankly refuse to use them on Yamato since she looks so ugly with it.

2 people like this

Yamato

Easy, conceal her as an island hotel, similar to

house_maus_by_sir_zora_crescent-d72gzba.

Edited by aboomination

10 people like this

On 16. 10. 2016 at 3:29 PM, aboomination said:

uHhgavW.jpg

2 people like this

Hahaha! Wonderful expamples. I do agree with OP. The paint seems like a really "haste job" done. Some more realistic pallets would seem very nice. or at least give the choice bewteen different pallets. and I know: there are mods in which you can even paint the ships in the most absurd Manga themes. Not my cup though.

With 99,9% certainity I am able to tell you that WG wont change the camos, you can either hope that the perma camo for dubloons fits your taste or you start to use skins.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/22352-tanzs-shipyard/page__pid__643758

Edit: Tanz has pretty nice looking "realistic/historical" skins and not stupid shít like flames or even worse those filthy weeb stuff.

Easy, conceal her as an island hotel

Steady on there, wouldn't want to insult her now would I?

kancolle010e8.jpg?w=520&h=293

No, you are not the only person dissatisifed with the horrible non gold camo in fact I have modified the camouflages.xml file to give most nations a monotone nation specific grey colour so at least to resemble real naval ship camoflages.

I don't understand why realistic camouflages, first in WoT and now, in WoWS are so readily discarded for fantasy camos when they spend so much time and effort to make beautiful 3D models:hmm:

I don't suppose you'd be willing to share your modified file or give some indication of the values that need to be changed. I'd like to get a uniform look for each nation. Skins are fine but modders always seem to miss out certain ships for whatever reason.

Yeah, well, I'm afraid giving every single ship their own camo(s) is rather low priority right now. I'm sure it's being adressed, but I'm also sure it's going to come only later.

I'm with OP on this.  The camos on non premium ships except the ones you buy for an exorbitant amount of gold are awful to my eyes.  Even then, in a moment of insanity, I bought some of that godawful green white and red camo for my Cleveland and Gnevny.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to share your modified file or give some indication of the values that need to be changed. I'd like to get a uniform look for each nation. Skins are fine but modders always seem to miss out certain ships for whatever reason.

Of course, but it is a modified version of Wawan25's excellent Dunkerque custom camouflages.xml file so you will need his Dunkerque skin as well: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/61135-mod-05121-dunkerque-historical-skin/

I made the premium camo's for the Prinz Eugen, Bismarck and Tirpitz lighter in colour and if you don't like them just replace their camo values with the ones from Wawan25's original camouflages.xml file

shot-16.10.17_13.40.28-0764.jpgshot-16.10.17_13.40.46-0384.jpgshot-16.10.17_13.40.53-0470.jpg

There are two versions of camouflages; one where the first two types of camo have a 2 colour scheme and a second where all camos are monochrome bar the special event camos.

The first camouflages.xml file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiKIzUtDO9kChjO0zoeUaX96Rj-x

The second all monochrome camouflages_allmonochrome.xml file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiKIzUtDO9kChjKeWLJYYRXNzX-A don't forget to rename the file to camouflages.xml for it to work.

I haven't replaced the event special camos with monochrome but that is easily done by copy pasting the "..

content/gameplay/common/camouflage/textures/Dazzle_tile_camo_03.dds</Tile>

.." values of every nation that is modified over the nation specific special event camos.

Note! Only the the Royal Navy and Commonwealth are not modified.

NB! If anyone want to tinker with the colours the values comes in the following order: Red; Green; Blue and Brightness so if you for example want a more blueish tone you set the value for blue higher than the others.

shot-16.10.17_13.40.28-0764.jpg

shot-16.10.17_13.40.46-0384.jpg

shot-16.10.17_13.40.53-0470.jpg

Edited by atomskytten

1 person likes this

Yeah, well, I'm afraid giving every single ship their own camo(s) is rather low priority right now. I'm sure it's being adressed, but I'm also sure it's going to come only later.

i am not saying that every ship should have unique camo. one way is to remove regulars completelly - which would be somewhat ok for me (at least to get rid of the current ones) and wait for premium camo for every ship.

but i like the concept of national camos - in fact these existed (german baltic stripes, american measures) so the concept for regular camos is not bad but wrongly executed. and i belive it can be done just like i showed in the example. i am not completely sure about it since i didnt play with camouflages.xml file enough but i believe the premium camos are done just like that - without tiling with just one pattern put over their hulls - and not skins

the ingame camos look like they are made by a stevie wonder guy(no offense to that great person you understood my point).I bet if a monkey throws some sht at a wall the result will be a better camo pattern

You jest, but were you aware that the Germans did this with Torpitz?

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz/gallery/galltirfittingout.html

http://camoupedia.blogspot.nl/2013/02/models-by-jim-baumann-wolfgang-kring.html

Can't find any larger pictures toot sweet, sorry..

Also, very much agreed, some of the default camouflages are just hideous and some of them I just refuse to use, I don't even care about the stats..

Some of the free promotional camouflages are equally horrible though, such as the Chrismas camouflage, it hurts my eyes and only use it in coop, when there are fewer people around to be impaired by it..

I am almost rid of all of them..

I think it was the GNB camouflages that looked really, really good, but alas.. those are gone..

Of course, the rather expensive permanent camoflages, even if some of them are nice AND historically correct, I just refuse to buy for such an obscene price.

I can afford it, but considering what else I can do with my money, I think I can find better use for my hard earned cash..

Like saving up for HMS Belfast, or the next premium, or the one after that.. :B

I doubt you'll like these either

In fact WG just did that, but they tiled it again so not really looking good or authentic

Camouflage-Razzle-Dazzle-All-ships-6.jpg

And in response to the early razzle-dazzle: this early stuff is maybe a bit more extravagant but still beautiful (invented by an artist Norman Wilkinson) and i would not hesitate to take example from these for promo camos instead of the current ones

DAZ002.jpg

4bb4ed941d886a7ccecf6f1b5f7b8eaa.jpg

RSID1_zpsnwcphfmh.jpgRSID2_zpso04nxbjl.jpg

57626583d0e9ccfa8c25e9f2771d5fce.jpg

ff21717f202fc78ddffe3321589e42e2_zpslgou

...and one exception to show that indeed some other than wg tried to tile...but still exception

tumblr_mxppgiu9QX1svbpqho3_1280.jpg

How about leaving an option in the settings that says 'Display camouflage'? That way we could have the best of both worlds - you can get all the bonuses that come with a camo scheme and not be subject to the absolute eyesore that most of those generic camos are. Other people would still see those, but that doesn't really matter does it... 

1 person likes this

I started making a procedural camo generator a while back. It still outputs tiling patterns automatically but you can scale them with a slider to your liking.

Benefit is you won't need to edit camouflages.xml. If you're not afraid of doing so, you can also make them non-tiling.

Below some initial tests:

Camo_Generator.jpg

Camo_Generator1.jpg

15 people like this

Some of the in-game camos are pretty nice, in my opinion - especially those on the German premium ships. And the camouflage patterns on most of the Russian ships look good as well.

But there are others that could benefit greatly by more inspirational patterns - as for me, I find the 'Sad Spinach' pattern on most of the Imperial Japanese ships to be downright depressing at times.

While I have the utmost respect for those who value historical accuracy, I don't see that such things as in-game camo patterns should by necessity be constrained by hard facts - decorative, and even hilarious*, camouflages add a lot of flavour to the game. It's simply more fun to drive around in a ship that looks good!

So, in short, I am hoping for more camoflage choices, of both the normal and the "gold" variety, to add colour to the game!

* Yes, I am afraid that this means, among other things, that I am one of those who enjoy sailing around in my Stars and Stripes-patterned Texas. Yee-haw!!!**

** The Cleveland Candy Cane Camo is a bit too much, though.