1MajorKoenig

Dreadnought Era Appreciation Thread

• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

266 posts in this topic

Fellow captains,

I had the idea for this thread driving around in my A-HULL AMAGI and BAYERN - thinking how beautiful these ships are:

this thread is for all of you who appreciate the Golden Age of Dreadmought battles to meet, discuss and exchange thoughts.

high seas fleet at sea

While dreadnooughts are more of a niche product and a "filler" on the lower tiers in World of Warships it is the the true age of true Battleship vs Battleship clashes. A lillte more than 100 years ago the biggest clash of steel battleships happened during the Battle of Jutland. Huge battle lines of hundreds of shiny white-grey ships covered in black smoke with almost 100.000 sailors on board fought this climatic battle.

Even if the game is slowly moving more and more away from these good old days there are some Dreadnought Era ships left in the game. This thread is to appreciate them, discuss about everything about Dreadnought era ships in this game and in reality and  more. And it is for every Gentleman who is not afraid to duke it out the old way - even if it means to go with an A-Hull against WW2 Technology :-)

LIST OF APPRECIATED DREADNOUGHT ERA SHIPS IN WOWS (please let me know the ones I forgot :-)):

IJN / JAPAN:

• Chikuma
  • Kawachi
  • Myogi - STOCK
  • Ishizuchi
  • Kongo - STOCK (removed in 0.5.11)
  • Fuso - STOCK (removed)
  • Mutsu
  • Ashitaka (announced)
  • Nagato - STOCK  (removed in 0.6.0) 
  • Amagi - STOCK (removed in 0.6.0) --> there is hope for a happy end with ASHITAKA
  • Umikaze

USN / UNITED STATES:

• Albany
  • Chester
  • St.Louis
  • South Carolina
  • Wyoming- STOCK
  • Arkansas Beta
  • Colorado STOCK (removed)
  • Sampson

HSF / IMPERIAL GERMAN HIGH SEAS FLEET:

• Dresden
  • Emden
  • Kolberg
  • Karlsruhe / Cöln
  • Nassau
  • König Albert
  • Bayern - STOCK
  • V-25
  • G-101
  • V-170

ROYAL NAVY / GREAT BRITAIN:

• Weymouth
  • Caledon
  • Danae
  • Bellerophon
  • Orion (close at least)
  • Iron Duke (well... still a Little dreadnought'ish...)

TSARIST RUSSIA:

• Imperator Nikolai I.
  • Diana
  • Bogatyr
  • Aurora
  • Oleg

Please sign up if you you like these old ships in reality or in World of Warships and enjoy the breath of nostalgia they bring with them :-)

• 1MajorKoenig
  • 506_Mephisto
  • _Kyoshi
  • anve8004
  • aquiles7389
  • atomskytten
  • Babylon_218
  • Battleship_Nagato
  • BrotherSurplice
  • Caulton
  • Comodore_Allande
  • Cpt_Cowper_Coles
  • darkstar73
  • Fat_Maniac
  • GeorgeT1012_gt
  • Getzamatic
  • GhostRider_24
  • Gnirf
  • HMS_Worcester
  • josykay
  • Kevbar
  • LadyJess
  • Leo_Apollo11
  • puxflacet
  • Robber_Baron
  • sharpie65
  • theOneNL
  • Verence196
  • Vizeadmiral_R_Scheer
  • vontrox
  • VulkanNo1
  • Webley_Mark

17 people like this

Actually I like the late WWII setups more but well... I also really like Kawachi, Ishizuchi, and (arguably) Nassau. So pls count me in :)

1 person likes this

Actually I like the late WWII setups more but well... I also really like Kawachi, Ishizuchi, and (arguably) Nassau. So pls count me in :)

Thanks mate and welcome!

Fellow captains,

I had the idea for this thread driving around in my A-HULL AMAGI and BAYERN - thinking how beautiful these ships are:

this thread is for all of you who appreciate the Golden Age of Dreadmought battles to meet, discuss and exchange thoughts.

high seas fleet at sea

While dreadnooughts are more of a niche product and a "filler" on the lower tiers in World of Warships it is the the true age of true Battleship vs Battleship clashes. A lillte more than 100 years ago the biggest clash of steel battleships happened during the Battle of Jutland. Huge battle lines of hundreds of shiny white-grey ships covered in black smoke with almost 100.000 sailors on board fought this climatic battle.

Even if the game is slowly moving more and more away from these good old days there are some Dreadnought Era ships left in the game. This thread is to appreciate them, discuss about everything about Dreadnought era ships in this game and in reality and  more. And it is for every Gentleman who is not afraid to duke it out the old way - even if it means to go with an A-Hull against WW2 Technology :-)

LIST OF APPRECIATED DREADNOUGHT ERA SHIPS IN WOWS (please let me know the ones I forgot :-)):

IJN / JAPAN:

• Chikuma
  • Kawachi
  • Myogi - STOCK
  • Ishizuchi
  • Kongo - STOCK (removed in 0.5.11)
  • Fuso - STOCK
  • Amagi - STOCK
  • Umikaze

USN / UNITED STATES:

• Albany
  • Chester
  • St.Louis
  • South Carolina
  • Wyoming- STOCK
  • Arkansas Beta
  • New York - STOCK
  • Sampson

HSF / IMPERIAL GERMAN HIGH SEAS FLEET:

• Dresden
  • Emden
  • Kolberg
  • Karlsruhe / Cöln
  • Nassau
  • König Albert (only released in NA)
  • Bayern - STOCK

ROYAL NAVY / GREAT BRITAIN:

• still to come (2017?)

Please sign up if you you like these old ships in reality or in World of Warships and enjoy the breath of nostalgia they bring with them :-)

• _Kyoshi

Don't forget HMS Warspite she was at Jutland too ;)

1 person likes this

That's true and she took quite a beating there while still making it home.

I have to admit that I am not the biggest fan of Queen Anne castle style rebuilds though... ;-)

Never forget the Warspite.

Nice thread, count on me to be seen there. :medal:

1 person likes this

Never forget the Warspite.

Nice thread, count on me to be seen there. :medal:

Thanks mate and welcome on board!

Just wondering what time period post WW1 you would consider to be the end of the era. Maybe before the WNT? Though that could exclude NelRod.

That's true and she took quite a beating there while still making it home.

I have to admit that I am not the biggest fan of Queen Anne castle style rebuilds though... ;-)

Indeed she had her steering gear jam and did two complete turns between the two fleets before her crew got her back under her control and inadvertently diverted attention from the armored cruiser HMS Warrior saving her in the process .

That said her sister ship's HMS Valiant, HMS Barham and HMS Malaya were also at Jutland. HMS Queen Elizabeth missed out due to the fact she was undergoing dock maintenance at the time of Jutland having been part of the Dardanelles campaign.

The total number of ships in the Queen Elizabeth class only ever totaled 5 ships and only HMS Barham was sunk, in fact the sinking of HMS Barham and her turning over onto to her port side and subsequent explosion is one of the most powerful non-nuclear explosions caught on film. A 6th QE class (HMS Agincourt) was also under construction at the outbreak of WW1 but was canceled and scrapped on the slipway the name instead went to the ship that was ordered by Brazil, sold to the Ottoman Empire while under construction, and seized for use by the Royal Navy before the beginning of the first World War. It was also possible that had the Canadian government passed the Naval Aid Bill of 1913 that three more QE class ships would have been built but it is unclear if they would have served in the RN or the RCN.    

Also sign me up :honoring:

Edited by GhostRider_24

1 person likes this

Thanks and welcome to the fleet!

Indeed the QEs are amazing ships with an impressive track record. First real fast battleships and if your think about the fact that these veterans were still strong ships in WW2 - impressive :-)

Just wondering what time period post WW1 you would consider to be the end of the era. Maybe before the WNT? Though that could exclude NelRod.

That is indeed an interesting question considering the modernization efforts to convert the old dreadnoughts into modern battleships.

Personally I would draw the line before the rise of air power becoming the dominating element in naval engagements which would probably be 1920s. And you are right - I think the WNT effectively put an end to this era with the dreadnought era's last Hurra being cancelled under the terms of the treaty or converted to carriers. In a way the WNT appears to have expedited the transition from the dreadnought era to the  era of air power at sea.

But this isn't scientific at all but just my opinion.

Found this on another site.

""HMS Monarch leaving the Tyne on her maiden voyage in 1911""

14484701_10209066891043046_5350571308658

Also found this

14390659_967383013372992_573165142658136

4 people like this

Where the era of the dreadnought end? Hard to say...

Some consider a battleship as a super-dreadgnought, or even a super-super-dreadnought, so it's hard to say.

Is the Iowa a dreadnought. Yes, no and why?

HMS_Dreadnought_(1911)_profile_drawing.p

A certain HMS Dreadnought.

hms_dreadnought_in_color__fixed__by_pudg

Edited by Webley_Mark

2 people like this

Sign me up too, the ships from that time is both beautiful and technological marvels build with both function as well as aesthetics in mind much more so than one would think if having no prior knowledge of them.

1 person likes this

Sign me up too, the ships from that time is both beautiful and technological marvels build with both function as well as aesthetics in mind much more so than one would think if having no prior knowledge of them.

Thank you and welcome to this very special group ;-)

Indeed these ships are far more interesting than one would think on first glance. Just look at how much consideration went into the protection scheme... Eg. use the coal as additional armor - brilliant and fascinating 

Eg. use the coal as additional armor - brilliant and fascinating 

And dangerous too, no?

And dangerous too, no?

Is it? I thought it was just like sand but useful to power your ship at the same time. Was there any problem you are aware of during the battles?

I don't know, I'm asking the question. I mean, we are speaking of coal.

If I remember well, the RMS Lusitania sank fast due to this technique of using the coal ar a king of armor.

Please sign me in too...together with my Flagship:honoring:

da0e469d_zpskhtbdhpe.jpg

4 people like this

About Coal...AFAIK Coal Dust is a very explosive material and Coal dust explosions have been the reason for changing the kind of power that has driven certain Train Engines that crossed the USA.

Coal Bunkers were alocated around vital parts of the Ships to give them additional protection. A Method later used by the Italians in their sole CV "Aquila" just replacing Coal by Concrete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_aircraft_carrier_Aquila

1 person likes this

Would this be not a nice addition to the German Cruiser Line, as Premium Ship may be? As a Counterpart to the St. Louis? Emden and Scharnhorst together again.

69848477_zpscfxtnvyz.jpg

3 people like this

Personally I think the SMS Scharnhorst should be a tier 4 regular. Armoured Cruiser/Panzerschiffe line.

Would this be not a nice addition to the German Cruiser Line, as Premium Ship may be? As a Counterpart to the St. Louis? Emden and Scharnhorst together again.

69848477_zpscfxtnvyz.jpg

Scharnhorst would be great!

With her 8 guns she wouldn't have the usual pre-dreadnought issue with lack of primary armament. A heavy cruiser/panzer cruiser line would be more than awesome!!

Sign me up! 

My division mates would hate me when I'd bring Kongo Hull A....despite having elited her years ago! :teethhappy:  Nothing like a good dreadnought. 

Edward really knew how to line up a handsome fleet: 

fleet.jpg

2 people like this