TheCinC

Team, please don't go opposite sides of the map, play your role, and other tips

• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

80 posts in this topic

Good effort, easy to follow, very informative for the newb like myself.

Have a +1

1 person likes this

If you're in a cruiser, sailing towards the enemy when you get spotted, what do you do?

If you keep sailing forwards you will get too close and you will get deleted even if you're bow on.

If you go into reverse you will be a slow, easy to hit target and the enemy can go faster forwards than you can backwards.

If you turn you will show your broadside.

Best solution is to try to arrange it so that there's an island (or smoke screen) behind which you can turn. But that's not always possible, as it depends on the situation.

1 person likes this

when someone, let alone half the team is begging you, yelling at you, screaming at you, to do something

I rarely see the chat in use. In many cases it's just a salt mine when one player starts to attack others in chat for their bad positioning or decisions and another one or two replies and in the end they just call each other [pick the word you want] and that's it. Ofc there are sometimes battles where people do stuff like give some advice or say hi but I it's just so rare for a slow paced game wows is. Even in wot where battles are much quicker I remember people using chat more often than here in wows.

That little box in the lower right corner its called a mini-map its full of important information but is easily overlooked so please press + a couple of times to make it bigger so peripheral vision will provide you with a bit more info and hopefully draw your attention maybe when things go terribly wrong.

Use the + button.

1 person likes this

The problem is that the potatoes in the game are also the same people who never read the forums or guides so efforts like these are futile :(

1 person likes this

That is mostly true, but there are people on the forum that still think splitting up your firepower is a good idea.

Wonderfully writen OP! IMO this should be made sticky. Of course it's still a game and I want to play for fun. Having said that: the most fun I have if when I'm fighting an awesome battle. Don't even mind to lose that way either. The more the concept of "working as a team, playing your role" is hammered down, the better. Even if we get 1 potatoe boiled, it is progress!

@ Lin3: the main trap of cruisers is they can be deceivingly fast. Especially the Russians. I'm NOT promoting camping but tanking: stay on the 2nd line in the opening phase @ 1/4 to 3/4 "impulse." That way you can rush in and help your DD (it is extremely statisfying to delete the Atlante harrassing your DD with a Chapayev) or fall back when things are getting too hot: the DD has a better chance of escaping that than you have (turn = euthanasia) so the fat ladies can catch up and enrich the other side with metal gifts. My point: check your speed! I know from very much experience. And still I find myself overstreched because I rushed in too hard.

1 person likes this

That is mostly true, but there are people on the forum that still think splitting up your firepower is a good idea.

Well it can work. So can the lemmingtrain. Split up happend on 2 brothers often. So does the LT. The trick IMO is communication. Which doesn't happen. In the split formation 1 side should push hard and the other fall back so you can make a wrench crush (that's the idea). The LT should keep pushing hard, but they always come to a stop, being deleted 1 by 1.

2 people like this

Well it can work. So can the lemmingtrain. Split up happend on 2 brothers often. So does the LT. The trick IMO is communication. Which doesn't happen. In the split formation 1 side should push hard and the other fall back so you can make a wrench crush (that's the idea). The LT should keep pushing hard, but they always come to a stop, being deleted 1 by 1.

No denying that. As you said, lack of communication makes the split more difficult. And a well executed split will always lose to an equaly well educated focus of firepower. It is simple math.

The most useful and interesting "rant" I ever read on this forums;

A good tip when facing BB's, especially if you're a cruiser that got too close for comfort and showing your broadside is deserving a good paddlin', is to lower speed, zoom in on the BB and check when it fires...endure or zig zag the shots then full speed ahead and hard turn, tuck tail and run.

TLDR summary: when someone, let alone half the team is begging you, yelling at you, screaming at you, to do something, or to NOT do something, please pay attention, they might be onto something. Work together, as a team. This is not a free for all. Support your team and play your role. Cap if you can, but don't take needles risk. Don't get tunnel vision.

superb post, but you forget one thing

Don't runaway from enemy when you spot them

I got in 3/10 games, sailing in group then we spot CA, BB, CA, in next 30 sec from squadron of 3 BB, 3 CA, 2 BB and all CA, turn 180 deg, and run in full speed, left me alone don't even shot on enemy...

that is pathetic... :sceptic:

Edited by Darky_007

1 person likes this

Thanks a lot guys! :honoring:

Wow, I honestly had not been expecting so much positive feedback, I had literally just posted this, and was still editing some typos and clarifications, when I already received my first like.. :ohmy:

I went to sleep feeling much better than I had felt after the grueling battles I'd been through.

I was braced for a lot of people disagreeing with my view on things, or pointing out that in situation x, y might just work, which is why I tried to make it clear these are just rules of thumb.

I was also afraid to come across as a know-it-all who tries to push his priorities on other people, despite my not very impressive stats (when in combat, I sometimes get severe tunnel vision, missing the DD right next to me, while my aim could be a lot better as well, but I am trying to improve myself on these points).

I would have also expected people to just reply TLDR, so I already created a TLDR summary.. :D

I, personally, above all else, want to win.

I really don't care how many ships I sink, if someone 'steals my kills' I just move to the next target, might even be happy for it, because if it is good for the team, it is good for me as well.
What I do care about, is winning.

If we have to cap at the very last moment and win that way, fine.

If we sink all the enemy ships, also fine.

But if we lose because half the team got tunnel vision, we got back from that and almost won, because some of my team members put in the performance of a lifetime, then I get mad/sad.

I've had several games yesterday where I was working on my aim and noticed I did better than my average, but where I just was not able to get people to work with me, or only a few at the time, or where other players put in a great performance, but where we just weren't able to make up the lost ground.

After a day like that, I just needed to vent after several hard fought games, which we narrowly lost, despite in most cases a large number of ships going down due to poor cooperation and not much else.

I could have just done a rant, but tried to turn this into something productive and I am very glad that I did.

If literally just anyone found this useful, mission accomplished, so I am all the more happy to see these replies!

I'll ask the mods if they can sticky this, and if they do, I'll be happy to take suggestions from other players and edit the first post to include them here. :great:

I also feel completely unqualified to say much about carriers, as the last time I tried to work on my CV skills, I got yelled at by just about everyone, even when I felt I was doing pretty well. *shudders*

I then played a few games in coop mode, but that was not really able to hold my interest long enough to learn much from it, and the interface will be changed anyway, so I gave up for now.

So if one of our most excellent CV players could do something like this, then that would be great! :honoring:

Thank you all again, and please keep your suggestions coming! :izmena:

3 people like this

Great post! If you reword the intro and title a little bit it would make a really good pinned post for the guide section. 

I can only add that in my experience it really helps if at the beginning of the battle you suggest some points to focus on. Simply asking "A and B?" is usually already enough. It doesn't always work, but especially if you are higher tier, people tend to listen and it results in a bit more coordination which can make all the difference. However I've also noticed that some people can come of as quite passive-aggressive when doing this, which usually results in just the opposite of what they want to achieve.

Bad  example:

"Why are all the BBs going to D? Have you even played this game before?"

Good example:

"Guys! A lot of DDs will be waiting for our BBs at D. Let's take A and B instead!"

2 people like this

"Guys! A lot of DDs will be waiting for our BBs at D. Let's take A and B instead!"

"I've tried that, don't you think I've tried that?" - the IT guy from Wargames.. :(

That is what made me post this, no matter how I point out that going channel is suicide, or that splitting up forces is bad, or that the enemy is at A in force, people don't get the message somehow..

Maybe they collectively blocked me.. :ohmy:

But thanks for the compliment, as said, I am a bit overwhelmed by the positive responses! :)

I've reworded the intro, I hope it is okay like this?

But would it be possible to sticky this topic here?

Would that be possible? *puppy eyes* :D

If this isn't gameplay, then I don't know what is!

Obviously, this is also the most used subforum, so the most people will see it and comment on it, profit from it.

I will also be happy to include a link to the game guides subforums and to add links to various other useful topics, so this post may serve as a kind of sign post.

BTW, I can't edit the topic title, if you can and want to change it to something better suited, be my guest, although it certainly seems to work to get people to read this! :D

Edited by TheCinC

Most of the time,

when I go somewhere with my Wyoming (finally researched New York this weekend! yay!)

sooner or later everyone runs away and I get killed by 3+ enemies. :(

It's a good guide for newcomers and those struggling with a particular ship type. A decent amount of solid guidelines.

The caveat is what it is for all sets of guidelines: If you know them, and you know them well, you should know when to break them. If you break them, you need to know why, how, where, and when you should do it.

For me, in particular with IJN DDs (but also USN DDs), I often go off on my own to get that one cap the rest of the team ignores. That's something you should only do if you know when to pull back if things go south, and only if there are enough DDs to cover the focused caps without you. Sometimes you'll get a free cap that way, if the enemy focuses on the same caps your team does, sometimes you manage to delay them a bit (and maybe cause some damage), and sometimes you just don't accomplish anything. The important part is to know that if you meet enemies, you're going to be outnumbered, and if you engage, you're going to sink. If there are carriers, it's much more risky, so just run away if you see any plane approaching.

It's a good guide for newcomers and those struggling with a particular ship type. A decent amount of solid guidelines.

The caveat is what it is for all sets of guidelines: If you know them, and you know them well, you should know when to break them. If you break them, you need to know why, how, where, and when you should do it.

For me, in particular with IJN DDs (but also USN DDs), I often go off on my own to get that one cap the rest of the team ignores. That's something you should only do if you know when to pull back if things go south, and only if there are enough DDs to cover the focused caps without you. Sometimes you'll get a free cap that way, if the enemy focuses on the same caps your team does, sometimes you manage to delay them a bit (and maybe cause some damage), and sometimes you just don't accomplish anything. The important part is to know that if you meet enemies, you're going to be outnumbered, and if you engage, you're going to sink. If there are carriers, it's much more risky, so just run away if you see any plane approaching.

Agreed, some things you can only learn by doing.

I ran into trouble trying to explain how to position your BB.

There is a sweet spot, not too far, not too close.

But how to explain that?? :ohmy:

Agreed, some things you can only learn by doing.

Generally, you don't want to get flanked/surrounded, or get shot at by too many ships.

Generally, I find it's about 60%-80% of your max range is efficient, unless you go in for a brawl, as then it basically within secondary range.

But I find it easier to judge by your allied ships, especially if you're pushing or retreating. Either have destroyers about 5-10 km in front of you, or cruisers at about half that distance. Just some ships who can screen for torpedoes. The best is to have destroyers in front, and cruisers behind you (so you can tank for them better), but if there aren't any destroyers where you are, cruisers should take up that role. Naturally, higher tiers usually work with greater distances than lower tiers.

Thanks for all the info.

will try to put that to work with my freshly bought new york.

only problem I have at the moment is torpedoes. (apart from actually hitting stuff)

I  see them 2 seconds before impact which makes it quite a gamble if I am already turned into the right direction or not

Edited by Pansenmann