You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
ptdockyard

German Light Cruiser project from 1/700 kit

7 comments in this topic

Players
29 posts

Here is a drawing from the old site of a German light cruiser design with 15-6" guns. It was from a 1/700 kit and was of a design prepared by a German private shipyard, not a forma KM design.

Can anyone provide the name of the kit and details of the design? Are there other private venture designs out there that were prepared for possible build for the Kriegsmarine?

German%20cl%20berlin-kl.2.jpg

Dave G

• Cool 3

Players
211 posts

Looks like a stretched version of the Leipzig with same stack, but the guns look different -perhaps the 5.9" C28.

In 1928 the Defense ministered ordered naval plan 1928 which featured...

An HMS Courageous styled Aircraft Carrier plus 6 improved PBS and 6 more cruisers.

I wonder if this was one of the possible designs for the cruisers. Historically the improved PBS design evolved from 18,000 tons with 3 triple 11" C28 guns into the Twins with 38,000 tons and 3 triple 11" C34 guns. Along the way their were 19 different designs considered -several of which had fully drawn up plans made.

Edited by psl_58

Players
211 posts

Scaling the gun turret to the over all hull length it looks in the same region as the Hipper class., maybe not so wide since it would not need a torpedo defense bulge ?

Players
6 posts

I need to dig it out of my stash to tell you more. Actually, I got two kits to upgun the second to 20,3 cm guns.

There is also destroyer design by Schichau (also released as 1/700 kit) as well as two alternatives for M-class cruiser (1/700 kits are in preparation).