fnord_disc

Armor Penetration Curves

• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

265 posts in this topic

Scharnhorst

p6I3xQZ.png

Kaiser / König

ESk35cl.png

Bayern

GAbpfTS.png

Warspite

Wtes9Wn.png

Gneisenau / Bismarck / Tirpitz

e3XYRN0.png

Iowa / Montana

5u42b9p.png

Friedrich Der Große / Großer Kurfürst 406mm

zSwKMpZ.png

Friedrich Der Große / Großer Kurfürst 420mm

Rw3nYO7.png

Hipper / Roon / Hindenburg / Prinz Eugen

8TVNuyV.png

Baltimore / Des Moines

8lweCT5.png

Edited by fnord_disc

17 people like this

Nagato / Amagi

S7M8fdw.png

Izumo

0nWpmlz.png

Colorado

vuo7YhP.png

Wyoming

pnLyjny.png

Ishizuchi

61tGfv4.png

Yamato

zhe1kS9.png

Nikolai I

4a1BXwn.png

Kirov

DzpM9Iw.png

Molotov / Dmitri Donskoi

gt8m4bM.png

New Mexico

amc32Ef.png

Edited by fnord_disc

5 people like this

North Carolina / Alabama / South Dakota

MSm1wBx.png

Dunkerque

EuMJNlv.png

Nassau

SGskt2h.png

Königsberg / Nürnberg

Pq4hkiA.png

Yorck

MfGexra.png

Katori / Tenryu / Kuma / Iwaki A / Yubari / Kitakami / Nagato (secondaries) / Amagi (secondaries)

ayxV13L.png

Gnevny, Ognevoi, Kiev, Udaloi, Tashkent, Khabarovsk, Udaloi, Blyska, Mogami 155mm

HERE

Perth, Belfast, Leander, Fiji, Edinburgh, Neptune, Minotaur

HERE

Akizuki

HERE

Spee

HERE

COMPARISONS

Arizona, Fuso, Warspite, Mutsu, Bayern, Nagato

HERE

Bismarck, Amagi, North Carolina

HERE

Gaede, Maass, Z-23, Z-26, Z-52, USN DD

HERE

Edited by fnord_disc

3 people like this

This might be a 'weird' request, but what if I don't have any actually specific ship but rather would like to be able to look up every ship in the game? I don't want to request you to just go down each tech tree as I don't want to burden you with to much work... :hiding:

edit: 

Also, this topic is more likely to get pinned in the 'Newcomers' section then in 'Gameplay'. The former is where all the informative 'tutorials' reside, and this would fit in nicely imo. 

Edited by mtm78

This might be a 'weird' request, but what if I don't have any actually specific ship but rather would like to be able to look up every ship in the game? I don't want to request you to just go down each tech tree as I don't want to burden you with to much work... :hiding:

edit: 

Also, this topic is more likely to get pinned in the 'Newcomers' section then in 'Gameplay'. The former is where all the informative 'tutorials' reside, and this would fit in nicely imo. 

Hopefully the mod will move it, then.

To be able to look up any ship in the game, a web dev has to design a front end around my formula (which I will give to anybody). He can then either make a database with the shell constants and generate the curves dynamically with Java or something or pre-generate them.

I hate website dev, so I will definitely not do this myself.

Indeed this thread needs to be stickied.

OP, pen values from WG´s North Carolina armada vid: 622 @ 5km, 563 @ 10km, 479 @ 15km.

Also your Zao chart: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/58289-disappointed-with-zao-ap/page__pid__1201895#entry1201895

I'll edit the Zao in above.

I'm about 95% sure that WG made a mistake when they published the NoCal penetration data for the 5km distance because there is not way to fit that point into a decay curve, whatever you try to do. The other two points at 10 and 15km are fine, but I don't want to confuse readers by including a spurious dataset.

The 90° impact angle is hitting the bow and 0° impact is hitting broadside? Or do I have it backwards?

Hi, excellent work! Would it be possible to get the curves for Warspite, even better on the same graph as Bayern? Thanks!

The 90° impact angle is hitting the bow and 0° impact is hitting broadside? Or do I have it backwards?

90° means the shell hits perfectly "broadside", so to say, and with impact angle is also broadside but including the angle of descent of the shell at the end of its ballistic curve and including internally angled armor (but set to unangled in these plots).

Hi, excellent work! Would it be possible to get the curves for Warspite, even better on the same graph as Bayern? Thanks!

Yes, but not in the same plot.

2 people like this

Could you also make these for deck armor penetration? Would be particularily interested in the North Carolina.

Could you also make these for deck armor penetration? Would be particularily interested in the North Carolina.

I can, but I have to add an additional function to the script because right now this only calculates for belt armor. It's very little work, though, and I'll add a deck armor plot for NoCal later this evening.

1 person likes this

I can, but I have to add an additional function to the script because right now this only calculates for belt armor. It's very little work, though, and I'll add a deck armor plot for NoCal later this evening.

Also another question, are you accounting for normalization? If not the deck armor penetration graph would probably end up rather inaccurate.

Also another question, are you accounting for normalization? If not the deck armor penetration graph would probably end up rather inaccurate.

The belt armor: No.

But your deck armor: Yes ;-)

[removed because it was inaccurate] Edited by fnord_disc

Very interesting info, definitely needs to be stickied.

I looked up some examples and the ones calculated above are quite close, if not almost identical, to real life known or calculated data (for example the 38cm gun of Bismark, which had a 510mm penetration at 10km,and also the US 8"/55). Makes since, singe WG would have to use real data at least as a basis for their penetrationg algorithms

The value mentioned for the North Carolina on the other hand seems to be quite inferior to the real life values

Range

Range Side Armor Deck Armor Striking Velocity Angle of Fall
0 yards (0 m) 29.74" (755 mm) --- 2,300 fps (701 mps) 0.0
5,000 yards (4,572 m) 26.60" (676 mm) 0.76" (19 mm) 2,090 fps (637 mps) 3.0
10,000 yards (9,144 m) 23.51" (597 mm) 1.87" (28 mm) 1,900 fps (579 mps) 6.8
15,000 yards (13,716 m) 20.47" (520 mm) 3.04" (77 mm) 1,743 fps (529 mps) 11.7
20,000 yards (18,288 m) 17.62" (448 mm) 4.29" (109 mm) 1,604 fps (489 mps) 17.9
25,000 yards (22,860 m) 15.05" (382 mm) 5.76" (146 mm) 1,521 fps (463 mps) 25.4
30,000 yards (27,432 m) 12.77" (324 mm) 7.62" (194 mm) 1,490 fps (454 mps) 34.1
35,000 yards (32,004 m) 10.49" (266 mm) 10.57" (268 mm) 1,531 fps (488 mps) 45.2

How do the IJN 127mm gun AP compare with the USN 127mm's and the VMF 130mm (both high tier ones)?

Edited by DominusEdwardius

Would like to see the German cruisers AP, can you do one for Roon? Also how would you account for angled armour? Is it like WoT where you simply increase the effective armour as a result of the angle? Would be nice to be able to work out how close you have to be to pen at different angles. 

So you have to be 18km away to deck pen someone, do we have mathematical proof of why the game encourages people to snipe?

The belt armor: No.

But your deck armor: Yes ;-)

Jump because anything shorter is autobounce.

Thanks.

Seems kinda weird to me though, once got a citadel on a Tirpitz at ~16km. Don't know how that would be possible without using plunging fire, but according to the graph it would be impossible.Think I'm gonna do some testing in training room regarding this.

Also, as a minor nitpick, that graph should start at 28mm due to overmatch.

Thanks.

Seems kinda weird to me though, once got a citadel on a Tirpitz at ~16km. Don't know how that would be possible without using plunging fire, but according to the graph it would be impossible.Think I'm gonna do some testing in training room regarding this.

That would depend on exact armor layout at the point of impact no? Currently it's almost impossible for us to properly judge some of the in game behavior since we don't have access to all the data needed. Also, Tirpitz armor was 'bugged' before, it has been fixed ( turtledeck for front turrets was extended I think, there was a gap before ). 

Thanks.

This is with the new normalization. Old NoCal had more normalization and normalization makes a big difference for deck pen.

But at 16km it might just be the thin upper belt and then through the citadel roof, which is only about 150 angled upper belt + 100 flat citadel roof = maybe 400 or so including the angling and NoCal still has about 450 at that range. At shorter ranges this gives you autobounce on the citadel = penetration damage.

Tirpitz's salami armor makes it hard to tell which areas you penetrated exactly to get the damage that you go.

1 person likes this

At close range the German 40,6 cm Guns have better penetration than the 420mm guns?

Am i reading this right, or am i missing something?

Edited by SCFighterr

At close range the German 40,6 cm Guns have better penetration than the 420mm guns?

Am i reading this right, or am i missing something?

That's correct. Higher velocity and better krupp values (thanks, WG) are greater than the higher weight of the 420.

The overmatch mechanic means that the 420 might subjectively feel like they have more penetration to you, but in terms of pure broadside armor penetration, they are inferior at most ranges.

Edited by fnord_disc

That's correct. Higher velocity and better krupp values (thanks, WG) are greater than the higher weight of the 420.

The overmatch mechanic means that the 420 might subjectively feel like they have more penetration to you, but in terms of pure broadside armor penetration, they are inferior at most ranges.

I dont know what do say about this :fishpalm: