You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Tzoli

The Streamlined Battleships

17 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
362 posts
357 battles

The Streamlined Battleships aka the battleships of the future!

These ships are appeared in the popular magazines: "Popular Science" and "Popular Mechanics" both are available in Great Britain and USA

While surely not considered by any navy especially the conservative USN or the Treaty abiding RN these proposals by artists are none the less show us interesting and in a way beautiful looking warships, with some drawings even shows interior arrangements!

British design from 1940:

Displacement: 70.000tons

Engines: 252.000shp 6 shafts

2x4,2x3,2x2 356mm cannons (14inch)

12x2 133mm DP-AA Guns (5,25inch)

8x2 120mm DP-AA Guns (4,7inch)

3x8,4x4 40mm Pom-Pom AA Guns

WRbSNbY.jpg

EDd7RGm.jpg

Otto Kuhler, American design (Whaleback Battleship):

3x3 cannons of unknown calibre

17x1 AA guns of unknown calibre
streamlined+warship+-+Otto+Kuhler.jpeg

Unknown design (Probably American):

4x4 or 3x4 cannons of unknown calibre

10x2 AA guns of unknown calibre

Streamlined+battleship+-+1941+cropped.jp

Design 1942 from Detroit by George W. Walker:

5x3 cannons of unknown calibre

1942Detroit.jpg

Edited by Tzoli
  • Cool 6

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester
892 posts
2,266 battles

Nioce find! Never heard of these! :great:

Beta Tester
624 posts
389 battles

I'm not someone who loves premium vehicles but that's one I would gladly spend money on:)

Players
5 posts

Popular Mechanics had an obsession with streamlining around this time. Whatever the subject there would be a streamlined "of the Future" version. There's probably a streamlined "Pencil of the Future" somewhere in their archives. This one could almost be an early stealth warship though. All those rounded surfaces to deflect radar.

Alpha Tester
362 posts
357 battles

Yes but as it a monthly magazine with large amount of pages and articles it surely gather such things from a wide area. But as you can see even American artist or journals played with the streamlined idea for warships. Interesting the use of Gas Turbines for propulsion which is quite new at that time having patents from various inventors pop up in the late 20's and 30's. Other but more serious proposal to use this drive system on a capital ship was Vladimir Polievktovich Kostenko's 1936 design battleship:

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/4310-kostenkos-1936-battleship-design/

But the streamlined lines could indeed effect the radar size of the ship, though modern stealth ships are more like the early versions of Stealth planes like the F-117 Nighthawk. F-22 Raptor and the SU-PAK FA with their angled lines, but future stealth warships could introduce the rounded lines. (Similar planes are the F-23 Black Widow II, F-35 Lightning II and A-12 Avenger II)

Alpha Tester
362 posts
357 battles

I've finally finished drawing of this unique ship!

streamlined_battleship_of_the_future_by_

Edited by Tzoli
  • Cool 5

Alpha Tester
362 posts
357 battles

Using the KGV  and Lion as a base for the drawing, the length is about 120% of the KGV so around 272 meters while the width is around 33 meters.

Draught? Good question! For 70.000tons I assume around 11 meters

Players
30 posts

as a modeller with the idea of building this ship, I was just looking at TZOLIs excellent drawings and comparing with the original and realised what a  massive flaw the design has ! the" funnels" !!!!! the exhaust has to raise , flow out, then down before going aft  !!! ?????apart from being counter to the laws of physics ( hot gas does not naturally  go downwards) the heat build up would be fatal to any crew in the rear half of the ship and the optimism that shells and torpedoes would bounce off the unprotected exhaust bulge without exploding is astounding!!

Alpha Tester
362 posts
357 battles

as a modeller with the idea of building this ship, I was just looking at TZOLIs excellent drawings and comparing with the original and realised what a  massive flaw the design has ! the" funnels" !!!!! the exhaust has to raise , flow out, then down before going aft  !!! ?????apart from being counter to the laws of physics ( hot gas does not naturally  go downwards) the heat build up would be fatal to any crew in the rear half of the ship and the optimism that shells and torpedoes would bounce off the unprotected exhaust bulge without exploding is astounding!!

Would be great to see such a ship in a true model or even in a 3D model!

As for the issue of gases, I'm not sure how different gases the gas turbines produce but maybe multiple ventilation systems and fans could solve the problem?

Alpha Tester
362 posts
357 battles

And now the British Battleship of the Future in full colours:
I've called her HMS Lord Fisher:

hms_lord_fisher_by_tzoli-d8ygmpi.png

• Cool 1

[CPC]
Alpha Tester
137 posts

This streamlined battleships are really similar to the work of the comic writer Edgar P. Jacobs living at the same timespan.

I really like how they designed the future in the 1940s, all in curves and round parts.:)

That gives this ships a really "pulpy" look.

Players
23 posts
2,580 battles

Would be great to see such a ship in a true model or even in a 3D model!

As for the issue of gases, I'm not sure how different gases the gas turbines produce but maybe multiple ventilation systems and fans could solve the problem?

Yes they did. The gas turbines (G6's) fitted to the RN's County Class Destroyers had huge air intakes; just forward of the hanger and beneath the Seacat directors. And if memory serves me they had forced air induction, (fans in other words). Normal exhausting.

Edited by Skunk_workz

[RN]
Players
11 posts
3,386 battles

If Wargaming made a premium version of this I would happily pay 100+ for this!