Redcap375

The CV Captains Cabin

2,200 comments in this topic

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles

I thought i would make a post/area for all of us remaining die-hard CV captains that are left. To share ideas, tactics, advice or anything that is on your mind.  We all know how CVs have changed over the years to the point that we are now at.  Our planes being obliterated, our targets becoming less and less obvious  and being restricted to a spotting or DD hunting role.  But i'm not complaining chaps, we CV players have a stiff upper lip and just roll with the AA punches.

Lets use this to help other noobie CV players trying to find their CV feet and give them a chance to get past tier 7, if they are a sucker for punishment.  Lets try and keep CVs from disappearing from this lovely game, so we can have enough players to keep within are own tiers, not playing 2 tier higher games that suck you know what (tier 6 planes on a tier 7 CV that play at tier 9 games)

But most important of all, lets use this to have a beer and talk about the good old days and share stories.  To give advice to the new generation and to warn them of things still to come.  To share options on updates that effect the way we roll. Battle reports that show all is not lost.

The door is always open to other Captains that wanna share a friendly drink, after all, we are all captains trying to get through this.  Mess rules apply and gentlemanly conduct is a given.

Now, where is my gin and tonic :bajan:

• Cool 6

Players
1,015 posts
4,182 battles

I find that high tier battles are all about who can better and faster kill other team DDs. Then, when the targets were softened up a bit (so was their AA), you can go and mop up the rest of the fleet. The sooner you learn how to torp / kill'em the better your WR will be.

I'll have a single malt, thank you. :P

Players
129 posts
4,221 battles

Hello. I agree with T_H_0_R. There is also something important in high tier matches the IJN (taiho and above) especially excels.

Intimidation factor.

When you enter the battle like true badass killing two DD's, spotting the third one while strafing the hell out of bunched up enemy planes the enemy team flees in terror on the first sight of planes.

Oneshotting a top tier bb works too :)

The oter thing is bullying and pressuring the enemy CV. I have found that by keeping the pressure high even very skilled opponents start slipping up, its not even about overextending themselves but focusing too much on one task. Or they start to auto click instead of manual aiming.

I also like the waiting game. In high tier matches its often beneficial to wait with the attack, opting for intimidation, false attacks and setting up the enemy for allies.

False attacks work really nice on crusiers, especially the i am win button trigger happy type. Mark the attack, loose 2 planes, fall back, wait 45s, come back and use the delete click. Feast on enemy later.

Teaming up with ally DD is fun, especially torpedo ones. If the DD catches up that we are playing for him we can be his eyes and set up some monstrous torps.

On the mechanical side of game learn to use the keyboard to controll the planes and ship. I have space binned as alt and R, T, Y as alternate 8,9,0 for higher apm. Selecting squadrons with shift to platoon them works nice too. Press space / alt often to check of planes are under any AA aura. Learning to use the keyboard will vastly increase the free time to think about the situation and to aim properly.

• Cool 2

[STT]
Players
18 posts
4,868 battles

All the drama around the AA changes are a blatant overexaggeration in my opinion, as it's still more than possible to have a decent impact on a game even in high tier games. Sure you're not always the game carrier (haha) but should you be ?

I can't speak for US CVs as i definitely fled them for a few reasons (boring, slow, i couldn't stand torpedoes divergence, etc) but regarding IJN CVs if I had to rank them in terms of my personal game impact with them, it would probably go like this:

- 1st: Hosho (T4) because it's entry tier. You can outplay a Langley usually and still have an ridiculously enormous game impact.

- 2nd: Taiho (T9) because of the 3rd TB squadron on strike setup. It's ludicrously effective, and as i mentionned earlier, makes it technically possible to oneshot tirpitzes for example although it's a rare thing to see...

- 3rd: Hiryu (T7) because it's balanced, and I have a 17-points cap' on it. Main ship, woo !

- 4th: Shokaku (T8). It's a bigger Hiryu. It's cool, planes are beefier, but sadly the reserve doesn't budge.

- 5th: Hakuryu (T10). It probably deserves to be higher up, but i'm still learning to play it proper personally, can't achieve much with it (yet?)...

- 6th: Zuiho (T5). Unless you run into an Air-Sup Bogue, it's great to play as you can do decent torpedo damage while stacking fire.

- 7th: Ryujo (T6). This is probably the one that comes closest to USN's, as the viable setups are pretty much either all strike or all fighters. I hate it...

As for cool stories, I have a fun one to share from low tier games, a few months back, during 5.6 or 5.7 i believe. Remember the Hosho and it's 2 TB squadrons ?

Game was taking place on the low-tier map with the middle Y way in middle of island. I'm sorry, i forgot its name.

As i started scouting ahead with TBs as usual, i spotted three DDs near the island edge, waiting stopped for unsuspecting ships to come and torp.

Two were pretty close from each other, so as i made my approach on them, i mechanically clicked to manual-drop inbetween them without fully realizing what I was doing at the time...

Out of the 8 torpedoes, the two leftmost ones hit a DD. The two rightmost others hit the second one. Bam. Blown both to bits in a split second interval and a single strike.

Well, that was quite the game opener....

• Cool 1

Players
129 posts
4,221 battles

AA ... It depends. I find it a problem during end game situations. More on the topic.

A NC/IO/MON has absolutely deadly AA for 1 platoon of planes incoming. Even a well executed strike is a loss of one torpedo group (IJN) and at least one runing away. In the initial stages this is not a issue due to the fact that we have plenty planes to spare and its easy to zerg swarm feeding him a few torps and bombs.

Here comes the second problem. Its almost impossible to do a time attack on a high tier US BB on anything but a Haku / high tier US CV. Initial strike with 2/3 torp groups, cause flodding, wait for the repair. Wait 20 seconds, attack with dive bombers. On a Hir/Sho/Tai there wont be enough planes in the zerg to execute the attack. 

A properly executed timing attack is absolutely deadly especially on a US CV :)

[STT]
Players
18 posts
4,868 battles

Sorry to double post, but I got another storry to share :)

How I became a Hero with Hiryu..  and teamkiller at the same time ! So, t8 game. Domination. The match is close, altough I have Air Sup, i fail to conduct meaningful strikes at first... our team is trying hard to push West Flank while.. what ? A NC starts flanking us East. 

At first I simply ignore him hoping the problem will disappear but clearly our flank is near empty so that's not going to be the case... The NC is near unscathed and a New Mexico desperately goes to hold the flank. They exchange fire and obviously, it's not to our advantage. Make a diving run... totally uneffective.

I place my TBs on the flank hoping to catch another target to cover, something with less AA, as attacking a NC post AA changes with a Hiryu's TB was pure suicide. 

I pan back to the BB fight. They're now 5km from each other... NC fires a broadside and NM's down around a third HP while the NC is still strong at 2/3rds. 

I can't help but feel sympathy for our desperate NM and his last stand so I decide to join the fight and send my TB squadrons in full speed on NC's flank, not really expecting anything. 

By the time they get in range, they're now in a full blown secondaries fight, broadside to broadside, 3 clicks out. NC prepares a volley... and overleads slightly. The NM is down to 8KHP. NC still barely half HP...

As i click to drop, a sudden doubt overtakes me... i almost recall them but... no. Now's not the time for doubts. They're already deep within NC's AA. Proceed. Miraculously, 7 TBs make it to drop point. 

The NM's firing his last despair salvo and the NC is almost done reloading when six torpedoes show on his broadside and hit. The NC goes down. 

Yeah! We made it man! The NM is safe and--- Wait, didn't i say seven torpedoes earlier ? Sure enough, the last one is hurling toward our NM friend! Okay he's on range edge, i have TA, it shouldn't hit especially if he slows down... 

NM panics and turns toward and into the single torp fullspeed, taking it from front. He's down to 2kHP... oof. No... Flooding ?

"Can you rep man ? I'm so sorry..."

"No. But it's fine. Good job mate!"

The NM sinks down to friendly fire, still cheering in chat about the NC kill. Goodbye, friend of an instant. 

I spent the next five games pink and telling others of that brave NewMex. 

• Cool 4

Players
1,015 posts
4,182 battles

- 3rd: Hiryu (T7) because it's balanced, and I have a 17-points cap' on it. Main ship, woo !

- 4th: Shokaku (T8). It's a bigger Hiryu. It's cool, planes are beefier, but sadly the reserve doesn't budge.

For me no.1 influence on the game outcome is Shokaku, all day long. My best performing CV and ship I have the most fun with. 80% WR speaks for itself. Hiryu was great until they nerfed her by giving her T6 strike planes. This lead to the following scenario yesterday when I tried attacking a lone Schors in Ranked battle with my 1 TB squad (was running 3-1-1 due to Saipan infestation). He wiped my whole squad before I even dropped one fish into the water - full AA spec with manual AA skill and what not. The DBs that followed didn't fare much better either. And all attacks were performed from bow on to minimize time spent in AA bubble.

With Shokaku I don't have such problems. Her planes are much faster and appropriate for her tier. I can even do well in T10 games where you can't do much more but hunt DDs.

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles

Noobie CV Captains Tip of the day:

The Tier 8 BB TIRPITZ has deck armour the thicknesses of clingfilm when concerning bombers. Of all the tier 8 BBs, this should be your bombers priority!

Cheers lads, I'll get the round in :bajan:

• Cool 1

[-BT-]
Players
496 posts
3,130 battles

Some tips here :

- Don't be too focused on what YOU are doing. You've got an overall view of the battle and what's happening, so use this to your team advantage and try to communicate. Your biggest force (and what makes me love CVs) is that you can be anywhere on the map faster than any other shipclass, so use this feature !

- Multitask harder. Don't commit either only on your strike force or only on your fighters. With a bit of concentration you can achieve a very good control of every squad. Again, you can be anywhere so don't waste this ability.

- Don't be greedy. Be patient, don't run into those 5 packed US boats. It's useless. If you don't have any strike avalaible, either take down DDs if possible, or go for the ennemy CV. Even if you can't strike him properly, he'll be spotted and all it takes is 2 BB salvos. Bait AA barrage. When approaching your planes average cruisers pilots will pannic and waste their AA barrage. Tough be careful vs strong AA boat such as Des Moines, Kutuzov or Donskoi as you could lose much more planes than you'd expect.

- Versus stronger AA boats, use your divebombers to tank AA. Some pilots will use their ctrl + click to target your TBs but must won't. If they don't, you'll be guaranteed to have every torp in the water. It's not always worth it, as it doesn't allow you to time attack unless you're in a high tier CV.

In the end, just keep in mind that what you absolutely need to be good as a CV is game sense and intelligence. The more intelligent you are, the better you'll do. Very few mechanics involved.

Edited by Cadelanne
  • Cool 1

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles

So, after playing the Ranger and Shokaku for SO LONG i thought i would take the next set up.  I always said that tier 8 was the max i would go (love the Shokaku) due to the sheer amount of AA nowadays and alot of ships packing anti aa (upgrades, consumable and single planes).

Any advice for the Tahio and Lexington? Looking forward to the extra torp (IJN) and better bomb damage (US).  Are you more restricted to DD hunting?

I always went 0-1-3 for the Ranger and 2-2-2 for the Shokaku and will prob do the same with the next ones if you know what i mean? Or would you do it differently?

P.s. First game in the Tahio sunk two DDs. Avoid 12 torps if you can! 

Players
1,662 posts
12,265 battles

Due to the Defensive Fire consumable at T8, Lex is no longer op. But she still packs a punch with her strike deck thanks to her 1000lbs bombs, and although CV sniping got a lot harder it is still possible. So no, you are not restricted to anything with Lexington, just keep away from fighters or sacrifice as few squads as possible. But of course, this applies to any bomber squads, USN and IJN alike.

Tirpitz is a veeery juicy target for your DBs but you can one-shot DDs as well if you are good with manual drops.

• Cool 1

Players
1,816 posts
10,117 battles

P.s. First game in the Tahio sunk two DDs. Avoid 12 torps if you can! 

Its not really that impossible you know. When I play my DD and TBs come after me I just smoke and manouvour wildly. From the perspective of a CV player this creates a "blinking" effect making it slightly harder to get a good fix to torp my DD. I did it in my Fubuki against a Taiho and survived that 12 torp drop :P

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles

Never said it was Pra3y.  But its a lot harder dodging it tho isnt it? A lot of DD players do the usual smoke and stop route like you do, and like ive mentioned in another thread, it actually makes thing  alot easier for CV players. Auto lock on points us in the right direction until the last moment when we switch to Man aim when you start to smoke.  Sometimes even when you smoke it still gives us a glimps of you slowing right down, a sec or so.  Its really not hard to predict where you are going to stop m8, IF you stop which a lot a DD players do. A stationary DD is as good as dead to any ship. 

IMHO :) 

Due to WG forcing CVs to hunt DDs more often, good CV captains are becoming more efficient at targeting and pre-empting where you are going to go. I feel sorry for DDs at the moment, they are the number 1 enemy to most ships.

A tier 8 0-1-3 fixated on a DD with/without smoke? Would be hard NOT to kill it.

Players
1,816 posts
10,117 battles

Well Redcap375, 3 TB squads is always harder to dodge than 2. Also I don't mean stopping. I was talking about moving and smoking at the same time. There are actually pretty creative ways to use smoke apart from smoke and stop. Smoke and moving makes you a harder target to hit during the duration of the smoke so that you can escape from that life threatening danger.

I don't really feel sorry for the DDs though. I guess its an expansion of a CV's job? Think about it this way. You're removing a late game threat early on in the game. The longer a DD survives in a game the higher its potential. In Domination/Bastion mode you prevent the enemy from gaining points by removing their DDs. In standard you prevent them torping or cap. I however do think that there are DDs players who are improving and making more use of the DD's speed and manoeuvrability to dodge torps/make them dud (I do play CVs Redcap375 xp In fact I'm one of those CV players who will go after DDs at the start ;) )

Speaking of which I currently have issues with strike USN CV players, especially in 2 v 2 CV matches. I just had a match (tier 8) with me in the Inde (1/1/1), teammate in Lexi (0/1/3) against a Shokaku (2/2/2) and another Inde (2/0/1). Strike proponents will argue that a strike setup allow one to do massive damage and contribute to the team. Yet In that game not only do I have to solo fight 4 enemy fighter squadrons without any help from the Lexi, I ended up doing more damage than it, coming in top 5 while the Lexi came in third from last. If people want to do damage ( for the Ranger and Lexi) why not learn how to use the 1/1/1 setup. To be honest if you do the problem you face won't be from a 2/2/2 IJN CV but a USN AS CV. It is actually still possible for USN CVs to fight with 1/1/1 against 2/2/2. Tough but possible. That way you can do both damage and still perform a support role with the fighter squad like CAP, scouting etc

Players
1,662 posts
12,265 battles

1-1-1 Lexi is a pain. I cannot even recommend it with Ranger. Independence (and Langley) is the only USN carrier that truly benefits from its stock flight deck.

If you face enemy air superiority, you keep calm and patient, and focus on enemy ships that are closest to your fleet, or you lure their fighters into AA zones. Might as well take the risk and try to snipe. Either you succeed and cut their air force in half, or you lose all your planes.

Who says you cannot scout with bombers anyway? You don't need fighters to do that. Just don't send your bombers back to CV after dropping their load. From Tier 7 upwards your reserves allow you to sacrifice quite a lot of planes.

Players
1,816 posts
10,117 battles

It's because not everyone can truly use a strike deck effectively. It really require plenty of skills and patient like you say to utilise the strike deck. If you get into a situation like I did plus your CV teammate is not competent at using the strike deck then all you have is a recipe for disaster. 

Think about it. For Ranger, if you go strike you lose the fighter squad but gain only 1 DB squad, not 2 like the Lexi and not with upgraded bombs. You can achieve more damage but by how much? With proper setup (upgrades and capt skills) + some skill even if you only have 1 fighter squad there really should be a lot of problem dealing with a 2/2/2.. It will take a longer time but USN fighters are still slightly stronger than their IJN counterpart. Its a pain for both the Ranger and Lexi but at least your options are less limited with the fighter squadron.

Players
1,662 posts
12,265 battles

Oh? Was there any recent change to Ranger? It's been a while but I am most certain her strike deck is 0-1-3 with 500lbs bombs.

With Ranger I have an overall average damage of approx. 77k. Considering she started out with 1-1-1 (subpar to Hiryu in every way possible), and I tried a couple of games with 2-0-2 after I unlocked Lexi, I think she still did great. Kept her in my port a long time but eventually sold her in favour of credits and port slot for Iowa.

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles

I don't really feel sorry for the DDs though. I guess its an expansion of a CV's job? Think about it this way. You're removing a late game threat early on in the game. The longer a DD survives in a game the higher its potential. In Domination/Bastion mode you prevent the enemy from gaining points by removing their DDs. In standard you prevent them torping or cap. I however do think that there are DDs players who are improving and making more use of the DD's speed and manoeuvrability to dodge torps/make them dud (I do play CVs Redcap375 xp In fact I'm one of those CV players who will go after DDs at the start ;) )

And you said you don't feel sorry for them? :teethhappy: Picking them off from the start (as well as every other ship) constitutes, to me, feeling sorry for something.. 

Well Redcap375, 3 TB squads is always harder to dodge than 2. Also I don't mean stopping. I was talking about moving and smoking at the same time. There are actually pretty creative ways to use smoke apart from smoke and stop. Smoke and moving makes you a harder target to hit during the duration of the smoke so that you can escape from that life threatening danger.

Said by a good DD player, but the thing is m8, not all (i would say 7/10) do just that.  They slow down to a craw and then....Stop. Still makes me laugh now.  Going round in circles in a small smoke circle is kinda restrictive, only so many places they can be.  Too much and their out being viable again, too little and 3 torps from different angles will hit something.  If it was a BB or a CA then fine, they can take to occasional 1 torp hit but DDs, as you know, don't have alot of HP.

The two i sunk: 1 Smoked and stopped (3 torp hits) from the side (both), no messing.  The other one smoked and i crossed dropped, he was moving very slowly and landed 2 torps, gone.

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles

I put this in another thread regarding layouts and my view on things. It was actually a response to a good post regarding tactics. :) He did leave out the 1-1-1 i think as he didn't mention this as a good layout, compared to others that is.  See what you think.

Been a life long CV player i agree with most of the points m8. After playing them for so long there is 1 big point that wins it for me....

1) Outnumber (tigh up ability)

The IJN line has generally poorer planes than the US ones right?  But they are never really meant to take on other US planes, they are used to bog down the US fighter planes whilst your other fighter planes taken down the big damage dealing torp planes! The ability to take 3-1-1 set up at higher tiers just magnifies this. Example at tiers:

Hosho

Viable setup: 1-2-0

Langley

Viable setup: 1-1-1

If both CVs tight up both set of fighters, the Hosho is left with 2 torp bombers knocking around, the Langley one. This gives you more flexibility as a IJN pilot as you can do cross drops or set upon different targets.  At this tier, dds can be sunk in one torp can they not? :-) Been so long since i played that tier i cant remember, not into seal clubbing. If both fighters miss eachother and set upon eachothers torps, then the IJN fighters can destroy the 1 US torps bombers, wiping out 3/4 of there damage potential. If the US engages the one set of IJN torps then they STILL have 1 set of torps knocking around the map? See what i mean. 

Zuiho

Viable setup: 1-2-1

Bogue

Viable setup: 1-1-0 & 0-1-2

Gets better for the IJN player using the above statement.  They now have 1 bomber squad spare if both fighters tight eachother up.  If the US CV decides to use the 0-1-2 then the IJN with the 1-2-1 will not only own the US torps  (you always find and target the torp planes throughout the game), but they will still have 2 torps and 1 bombers going around the map with no fighters to worry about.  will 2 US bombers out damage 2 IJN torps and 1 Bombers? I think not.

Ryujo

Viable setups: 1-2-2 and 3-1-1

Independence

Viable setups: 1-1-1 and 0-1-2

There is only one way to go in my mind with this tier and its deadly to other CV players. THE RYUJO 3-1-1! The Inde picks 1-1-1 and you 1 plane assigned to each of their plane groups.  Even if you use two to tigh up the 1 US fighter group you have 1 left to find those torps and blow them out the sky.  Best is when you tigh up the fighter with 1 IJN one, whilst you use the other 2 to hunt the 1-1 left..Its crazy and i always feel sorry for the other CV player, i knew that pain. US CV 0-1-2 is down right pitiful .  The biggest damage output the  US CV has will be completely owned by the 3-1-1, simple. What makes it even more better is that the IJN CV STILL have 1-1 left to cause damage in a tier that AA hasnt found its feet yet!!! Marvellous. 

Hyriu (dame you nerf bat, tier 6 torp planes? Really..This WAS my Fav CV :-(

Viable setups: 2-2-2 and 3-1-2

Ranger

Viable setups: 1-1-1, 2-0-2 and 0-1-3

See where im going with this. B

The difference is when the US players chooses a 2-0-2 set up as they have more fighters at there disposal BUT they just can not stop all the 2-2-2 planes knocking around at this stage.  Its just too much killing to be done with not enough map coverage.  A smart IJN CV will do the usual tigh up the fighters (2-2-2) and smash the other fleet with the 2-2, its painful. 2-0-2 is the less used of all the set ups because there is so little damage potential going on.  XP gind will be SO SLOW. Its more doable in the Lex as the bombers have far better bombs tho...

BUT, here is the only time i play the 0-1-3 set up with the Ranger and its all about numbers and experience. 0-1-3 is the first time that US CVs has more of a chance with damage potential, providing the IJN one hasn't got the 3-1-1. if the IJN uses 2-2-2, he just cant stop all of your planes getting though, you will always have 2 groups of planes getting through.  If you play it smart, one it will always be your torps! The numbers game has turned full circle. What's even better is that CVs don't have the AA consumable yet? CV snip with US Torps is a given here and ive done this SO MANY TIMES, like yesterday ;-)  You run the risk that the IJN Player hasn't picked the 3-1-1 which makes life difficult for the US CV but the IJN player need to be the king of multi task. Engaging your damage maker planes as well as trying the Man aim their torps and bombers takes alot of focus. Tier 7+ is getting into nasty AA so the lower IJN planes feel the pain alot more at this stage. 1 group of IJN torp planes (3-1-1) don't tend to last very long, some not even making the torping run, plus the Hyriu now has tier 6 torp planes! Nerf bat well and truly swung there. 

Conclusion 

Its all about numbers and countering the enemy CVs, it always has been lads.  having the fighters to tigh up important units whilst still having damage dealing planes to get XP.  The IJN line is just better at doing this IMO.  Its boils down to experience really. knowing what planes to engage at what point.

Tier 8 is the Shokaku all the way :-) Great ship that is the king of the all-rounder like you said m8

I have chosen long-a-go not to go any higher in my CVs.  AA with all the updates and the like is just too much at tier 9+, its crazy.  Plus i love my cruisers.

Just my 2 pence lads.

Nice post by-the-way Cheveu 

• Cool 1

Players
1,401 posts
3,712 battles

We should not do this.

Rather let CVs disappear, so WG does something about their shitty gameplay and the annoyingly overpowered AA of so many ships.

They only use statistics, not brains. So if they see 4% carrier playrate they will be like "oh we gotta do something".

• Cool 1

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles

I feel your pain Syrchalis, and what good has WG ever done to CV's apart from nerf them with nearly every patch? They are beyond caring to be honest.  IF they were, they would have done something about it long-a-go but the fact is we have to play the hand we are delt with.  If noone plays them, they might simply cut them out the game full stop.  Nobody wants to see that, even DD captains.

Maybe that should be the case tho, you know, let the wheels completely fall off!

Had a full day yesterday with my new Tahio even though I said i would never go past tier 8, but what the heck! I would describe it as a Painful experience....Yes the planes are still stock so hopefully they last a tad big longer when their upgraded, long enough to actually drop something that is. Even used free XP to get the 2-3-2 layout.

The AA is just so painful and we all know this. As i was waiting for ammo reloads, i watched a complete set of US tier 9 torp planes get annihilated with only 1 torp being released, the target was a Yam.  I thought "What chance does my IJN have". I know the Yam has AA guns coming from its ears but it turns like a donkey and its large. Well, never again will i be attacking that ship unless its been HE spammed to death first! Plus the torp amour is crazy with hardly any damage being done.

I like to try all targets with new ships, i'm not just throwing things in willynilly not having a clue what i'm doing.  Yams are now off that list to hit with planes.

3/4 of ships in that battle had ship fighters.  You could make a Sqn of them! Messed up torp runs with IJN planes is a hard thing to see. AA consumables are becoming the norm and teams are grouping together more (not bothered about that, its just good team play). Nearly every ship has AA consumable.

Would you agree with this list of targets not to go for, keeping within my tier 9-10 that is:

Baltimore 

Des Moines 

Yam

Iowa

Montana

VMF Dmitri Donskoi (but its doesn't have a fighter plane)

Moskva

Roon

Hindenburg 

Targets to go for:

Most DDs

Izumo (when stock)

Zao (From long range only, VERY HIGH DPM close)

Ibuki

That doesn't look promising does it chaps..This isn't being completely negative too lads, just my thoughts.

What you thinking?

Players
1,816 posts
10,117 battles

Oh? Was there any recent change to Ranger? It's been a while but I am most certain her strike deck is 0-1-3 with 500lbs bombs.

With Ranger I have an overall average damage of approx. 77k. Considering she started out with 1-1-1 (subpar to Hiryu in every way possible), and I tried a couple of games with 2-0-2 after I unlocked Lexi, I think she still did great. Kept her in my port a long time but eventually sold her in favour of credits and port slot for Iowa.

My bad.I think my eyesight is getting worse. You're right on the 0/1/3. I still think its somewhat sufficient to fight against the Hiryu though with 1/1/1. I guess its because I don't have the patience but having a fighter plus TB and DB fits my playstyle more. The Hiryu having 1 extra fighter squadron doesn't bother me that much (I play the Bouge often and regularly meet AS Bogues with my 1/1/0) At the tier 7 CV stage given the planes its still doable. Lexi against Shokaku will be harder since planes on both sides are better.

@Redcap

I disagree on the part of those 3 BBs being untargetable. Stacking the 3 TBs or 3/2 DB squad together, go in, drop and leave and your planes should most likely survive. That however will not work for the Midway or Essex that much since lone squadrons usually get wrecked way too fast. They can only stack the DBs to attack. 

On the DDs all I can say is you're pretty lucky:( I rarely meet DDs now a days that sail straight, stop in smoke or turn only once and go straight. All of them just give me a challenge half the time. Violent manouvouring, constant turning and stuff.Sigh. Also think about it when 2 opposing DDs contest a cap at the start (domination) there is a pretty high chance one might die, yet its nothing to be sorry for.Just part of the role a DD plays (capping, not the dying part).

• Cool 1

Players
1,708 posts
6,649 battles

Well Pra3y, i will give it another go tonight.  Will group all of them together and see what happens against all the tier 9+ BBs. They are stock planes so got that against me as well as no skill 5 yet (Close). First i will see who actually makes a drop then concentrate on Manual aim. Don't mind taking a hit on my stats for science

Risk vs reward.  At least you agree on the other ships being a no go and US CVs having a slim chance against most things in the high tiers.

Players
1,816 posts
10,117 battles

I don't know how much difference 1 tier makes but during the PT I grouped/stack the 3 TB squad from the Hak ( may have been Taiho) together and basically command all 3 as 1 large TB squad. I dropped on a Montana (a solo one) and barely lost any planes. On the other hand while using the Midway, its lone TB squad is very prone to having its planes shot down. Stacking its DBs as one makes its DB survive better though like the IJN CVs. My conclusion from those games is at mid to high tier it is more worthwhile to stack planes , usually the same type, and attack as 1 larger squad for better survivability. At least before and during dropping.