TerTerro

Atago ammo choice advice needed (AP distances)

13 comments in this topic

Players
285 posts
3,207 battles

Hi there,

Can someone provide a chart or info on Atago AP distances vs armor thickness.

As right now, it's  mostly HE at DD, HE at CV, HE at BB (Maybe can be AP at some BB). But CA is tricky, at broadside i go AP, angled CA i go HE. But maybe depending on CA armor i can go AP, so want to know the possibilities here.

Thanks in advance.

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,449 posts
7,711 battles

My strategy is quite basic, since I got the increased fire chance skill (so 20% fire chance :playing:) i basically use HE on everything except CAs at ranges less than 10km showing broadside. AP at high ranges is a bit unreliable in that ship imho while I can burn them to death quite easy. I know lots of people will not like that but this ship can be a quite hard hitting flamethrower.

AP is quite situational, you can have lucky moments and I still experiment with AP from time to time but its not as effective as AP is on my american counterpart, the New Orleans where I shoot AP in most cases.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
6,036 posts
34,088 battles

HE for everything,  AP only for broadside cruisers. 

Players
1,625 posts
14,901 battles

If you can get the drop on an unsuspecting CA at around 10km, fire one salvo of AP. Then watch their movement, if they start to angle, switch to HE, if they are oblivious, fire another AP salvo.

Overall I tend to stick to HE on my Atago. It's reliable damage and you can angle against return AP fire. In fact, I will "bait" AP from enemy cruisers (by showing a little bit of broadside and then angling as the Atago's manoeuvrability is very very good) while firing nothing but HE in return.

Players
285 posts
3,207 battles

OK thanks for info ;) Will stick to HE, till less that 10km broadside AP :) Got the Fireperk too for 20% firechance :)

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

My strategy is quite basic, since I got the increased fire chance skill (so 20% fire chance :playing:) i basically use HE on everything except CAs at ranges less than 10km showing broadside. AP at high ranges is a bit unreliable in that ship imho while I can burn them to death quite easy. I know lots of people will not like that but this ship can be a quite hard hitting flamethrower.

AP is quite situational, you can have lucky moments and I still experiment with AP from time to time but its not as effective as AP is on my american counterpart, the New Orleans where I shoot AP in most cases.

Good advice. And it is good for all CA/CL ships.

Since Atago fire range is about 15 km I use AP on fully broadside ships at less then 12km.

And it depends on tiers. The higher tier the penetration is problematic and you shoot them from AP at closer distance.

Yesterday I got nearly 9000k at one salvo from HE shells.

Atago is nice in terms of firepower.

One more tip - I rather stay on HE when other cruiser is quite dead and there is another CA or DD in a close range.

And I use captain perk to -50% time to ammo switch.

Players
1,625 posts
14,901 battles

OK thanks for info ;) Will stick to HE, till less that 10km broadside AP :) Got the Fireperk too for 20% firechance :)

It's not the distance as much. If your aim is good, you can get citadels at much higher range. It's the ambush factor. Like I said, if they are oblivious, use AP, otherwise use HE.

IJN HE is very good.

[SCRUB]
Players, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,462 posts
5,363 battles

Atago's guns are basically the same they have been since T5, which means you also get the same AP, which doesn't scale that well to the opposition (the penetration is okay, but the normalisation angles are not very good). If you can catch an enemy CA broadside you can punish them hard, in any other case you're best off firing your excellent HE rounds (3300dmg +17% firechance without DE). Since you're accurate as hell, you'll be slamming BB's for 2-5k salvoes, and if you're lucky, set them on fire. I once burned a Yamato to death by hosing him with HE, and I ended up doing 70k+ firedamage to him alone.

[CR33D]
Beta Tester
630 posts
8,825 battles

atago guns are not the same of tier 5. are the guns of the ibuki tier 9. and this counts, cause they have a bit more penetration on the HE, resulting on a better he damage (not much, but there is)... so they are a bit better. the AP damage is the same.

[SCRUB]
3,462 posts
5,363 battles

atago guns are not the same of tier 5. are the guns of the ibuki tier 9. and this counts, cause they have a bit more penetration on the HE, resulting on a better he damage (not much, but there is)... so they are a bit better. the AP damage is the same.

It's funny because in game the T5 shows to have the same velocity (840m/s) on both APand HEas the T6, 7, 8 AND 9. The only IJN 8" gun that gets better hard stats is the Zao's guns which get 920m/s.

[CR33D]
Beta Tester
630 posts
8,825 battles

It's funny because in game the T5 shows to have the same velocity (840m/s) on both APand HEas the T6, 7, 8 AND 9. The only IJN 8" gun that gets better hard stats is the Zao's guns which get 920m/s.

true, but i thin it's not the gun himself, but the the shell used... i have to chek.

[SCRUB]
3,462 posts
5,363 battles

true, but i thin it's not the gun himself, but the the shell used... i have to chek.

Yes, well, I have discounted that. Still as you go through the tiers, the penetration seems to drop off compared to the scaling of the opposition.

[FJAKA]
Players
34 posts
15,250 battles

Hi there,

Can someone provide a chart or info on Atago AP distances vs armor thickness.

As right now, it's  mostly HE at DD, HE at CV, HE at BB (Maybe can be AP at some BB). But CA is tricky, at broadside i go AP, angled CA i go HE. But maybe depending on CA armor i can go AP, so want to know the possibilities here.

Thanks in advance.

I use mostly HE but on cruisers AP. Up is link from one my game, you can see when to use AP, This is nice and funy game from average player.