Sign in to follow this  
anonym_TymY49y5i0fs

Omaha

23 comments in this topic

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles

because she is fast, nimble, turns well and has crapload of gun that can melt down opponents.

armor is her only downside, so you should wiggle around, hide behind islands, not get spotted etc, and just burn down opponents with your ridiculous HE spam ability.

Players
743 posts

I've been doing well in Omaha lately.

When you're bottom tier you do have to play carefully.

When you're top tier you can carry a reasonable proportion of battles.

A captain with the Firestarter skill helps.

The Omaha is great for hunting DD's. Probably better than any other ship in the game, tier for tier.

The Omaha is great for doging shells as it's small, fast and turns quickly.

At tier 5 you will meet a lot of cruiser captains that will sail broadside on to you at short ranges. You can take them out very quickly with AP.

Try to never ever go closer than 12 kms to an undistracted tier 5 to 7 BB as they will wipe you out quickly, even if you are perfectly bow on.

• Cool 1

[ODIUM]
Players
547 posts
14,576 battles

Omaha's the ship I kept for when I want to play mid tier cruiser (ie when I'm generating cash but have had enough fun in my Warspite for now) 

She's got agility, lots of guns and is great in amongst the islands hunting down DD's 

[SCRUB]
Players, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,462 posts
5,363 battles

You are not supposed to take hits. Rely on your maneuverability to avoid being hit and your speed to get out of bad situations. Your armour is only going to save you if you angle it against DD guns, and even then you may not tank those.

Players
1,678 posts
13,867 battles

You are not supposed to take hits. Rely on your maneuverability to avoid being hit and your speed to get out of bad situations. Your armour is only going to save you if you angle it against DD guns, and even then you may not tank those.

This. I had fun citadelling Omahas with Russian 130mm DD guns :)

But I know that feeling... I just can't make such ships with casemate guns work, even Murmansk is a cursed ship to me. Things will get better with Cleveland

Alpha Tester, Players
5,335 posts
35,510 battles

well omaha wass rly , 1 from my best t5 ships that had fun to play , but after aft gone , must say i rather go kirov now

Players
743 posts

I prefer the Omaha to the Cleveland.

The Cleveland cow jumped over the moon shell arc annoys me.

[SCRUB]
3,462 posts
5,363 battles

This. I had fun citadelling Omahas with Russian 130mm DD guns :)

But I know that feeling... I just can't make such ships with casemate guns work, even Murmansk is a cursed ship to me. Things will get better with Cleveland

Well, it's semi-casemate. Consider them as turrets with bad firing angles and each gun in the turret individually sleeved.

The problem I (and most people who don't like the Cleveland) have is that the Celeveland's superheavy shells make her a brawler, which makes the support role of the ship iffy at best, which in turn reduces the overall usefulness of the ship.

[BOATY]
[BOATY]
Players
344 posts
17,721 battles

I just upgraded to the Omaha and on my very first battle something happened to me which I have never seen before, a battleship about 10KM off hit me with a single shell and i exploded, i had received 0 damage up to that point.

I still suspect foul play, but regardless the armour is like tinfoil.

[SCRUB]
3,462 posts
5,363 battles

I just upgraded to the Omaha and on my very first battle something happened to me which I have never seen before, a battleship about 10KM off hit me with a single shell and i exploded, i had received 0 damage up to that point.

I still suspect foul play, but regardless the armour is like tinfoil.

You took a hit to the magazine, assuming that you went up in ONE hit.

[BOATY]
[BOATY]
Players
344 posts
17,721 battles

Still seemed strange, I've not seen that happen before and I've certainly never been that lucky playing as a Battleship.

It all went a bit HMS Hood

Players
1,678 posts
13,867 battles

If you received the "Detonation" award and the respective flags, it was indeed a single blow to your magazine (like the one HMS Hood took :)). If not, maybe it was a doube citadel and/or some nasty normal penetrations.

Players
17 posts
5,946 battles

I enjoy the Omaha, seems to be one of my more fun and successful ships. I favour trying to stay bows-on to opponents; you have a good amount of main armament concentrated forward and present a smaller target. Of course, this does involve heading towards the enemy, so it can't be maintained indefinitely. 

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,608 posts

I enjoy the Omaha, seems to be one of my more fun and successful ships. I favour trying to stay bows-on to opponents; you have a good amount of main armament concentrated forward and present a smaller target. Of course, this does involve heading towards the enemy, so it can't be maintained indefinitely. 

You can actually stop and reverse quite safely while being bow-on, provided the range is still far enough where the enemy's dispersion matters. It's difficult for who you're facing to tell if you're moving forward or backward (and exploiting the torpedo lead indicator won't help them) so they'll often get the lead wrong.
  • Cool 1

Players
17 posts
5,946 battles

You can actually stop and reverse quite safely while being bow-on, provided the range is still far enough where the enemy's dispersion matters. It's difficult for who you're facing to tell if you're moving forward or backward (and exploiting the torpedo lead indicator won't help them) so they'll often get the lead wrong.

Thanks for the tip!

Players
4 posts
1,687 battles

I find it pure underpowered filth , all the agility in the world won't matter a damn when you can't even pen the side of a  teir 6 DD  @ 2.4km with AP . Not counting the fact for some reason all I'm seeing in it is teir 7 ( about 80% atm) . 89 hits /35k dmg .

Players
378 posts
3,418 battles

I find it pure underpowered filth , all the agility in the world won't matter a damn when you can't even pen the side of a  teir 6 DD  @ 2.4km with AP . Not counting the fact for some reason all I'm seeing in it is teir 7 ( about 80% atm) . 89 hits /35k dmg .

Shooting a DD, with AP, I'm pretty sure your penetrating mate, in fact your probably overpenetrating, that's why you use HE on DDs 
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
47 posts
11,590 battles

the upgrad to c hull is a bit strange she gets alot of aa gun but she cant realy bite ,wye dont she get the "Defensive AA fire" consumable she onely got the "Hydroacoustic serch"? 

[SGSWE]
Beta Tester
91 posts
9,077 battles

Omaha is strong, she have one huge weakness however, she can be spotted futher then she can shoot.

Edited by Hunny

Alpha Tester
183 posts
1,990 battles

one of my best ships, lern how to play with it it's a great ship, if i remember my win rate in 64% with her and 370 ships sunken.

Players
118 posts
8,470 battles

Never got the Omaha to work properly. Phoenix, on the other hand, is a ship I occasionally take out to troll BB's on her tier. Must be the difference between meeting ships that are mostly like you or have deliberate wonky dispersion, and meeting ships that are actually pretty potent compared to what you bring to the table. Omaha also isn't quite as nippy, which makes my favourite Phoenix tactic, go in guns blazing, turn on a dime guns blazing, move out guns blazing, spam from afar, repeat as necessary, rather more difficult to execute successfully. Maybe I should try playing her more like a speedy Cleveland than a fatter Phoenix.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this