MrConway

New "Bastion" Mode

41 comments in this topic

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,410 posts
4,376 battles

Please leave your feedback on the new "Bastion" mode here.

Players
16 posts
10,008 battles

Well i want to try it but there is aways an error in the client:( The idea is awesome however even better that ciclones.:look: And this is a bad for DDs.:trollface:  And i have a question: can a player who had lost his ship continue taking action in the battle, controling a shore battery? That will be cool. Another question: how can a team capture a shore intalation? Is there something like a base circle arroind the island with the battery?

• Cool 1

Players
1 post

Well i want to try it but there is aways an error in the client:( The idea is awesome however even better that ciclones.:look: And this is a bad for DDs.:trollface:  And i have a question: can a player who had lost his ship continue taking action in the battle, controling a shore battery? That will be cool. Another question: how can a team capture a shore intalation? Is there something like a base circle arroind the island with the battery?

that's because the client is not live yet. if you read the news post you should have seen that the public goes live on 28-6-2016. today is 27-6-2016...

as for your other questions I think that the same rules apply as all the other game modes(you die, you spectate). and I don't think they will shoot back since the news post was talking about radar stations etc. although it would be a cool possibility...

[WROCK]
Alpha Tester
8 posts
16,546 battles

Nice thinking WG....long overdue.....hardly wait for this BASTION game mode.......Congrats....

Also it would be nice that first team member who loose his ship could control the coastal battery to help team mates and provide cover or defence to base...like another player said earlier in this topic.

Also it could have AA capabilities....so if the CV comes close you can defend the CV with coastal AA fire...nice  no?.....

Edited by broschi2002

Weekend Tester
1,677 posts
18,664 battles

Why you not put short note how this new game mode will be?

I believe that they want to have real player feedback (i.e. from PT participants), and not from those who comment (and tend to bash anything and everything) based on patch notes.

We have seen plenty of people posting feedback on PT without actually playing on it.

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,412 posts
7,888 battles

The other reason from what I saw is that the forum tends to be able to explain how it works to other forum members. But the people that never visit the forums won't have access to that info.

So by deliberately NOT explaining how it works to forum members they can see how easy it is to understand (I. E. If the forum members can work out the rules, the average user probably can too. If the forum members have no clue how it scores, it's probably too complicated)

• Cool 1

Players
185 posts
18,255 battles

Tried Bastion mode. It's really a domination mode with guns and radar/observation. When friendlies capture, they will be used to spot and attack enemy ships. They can be attacked with the ships artillery and looses HP like a ship. Had the Iowa shell the fort with secondaries and main guns.

Beta Tester
872 posts
4,381 battles

It's a very nice addition, definitely not gamebreakingmor OP, it can even be added as standard to all domination games. The forts and radars are easily neutralized, the guns have the accuracy of secondairies, so it adds just some diversity to the game.

Beta Tester
84 posts
9,977 battles

The bastion mode with three zones are OK. It brings something new and will be a good change if it is not showing up to often. Bastion with four zones feels like way to crowded and i don't like it. the two zones (2 & 3) are to close it creates a weird dynamic for the worse.

Players
3 posts
4,312 battles

I've just tried  Bastion mode for a few times  and I don't know if it only happened to me because my mates wouldn't tell me if the problem was shared but  I wasn't able to aim at one of the recognition station. The lock was ok but the shells were always going under the target, and no damage was dealed to the target. I've tried from different angles, aiming at something else and then aiming back at it but the shells kept going down. Despite this all the others targets were fine, I was able to shoot at them. I can't say if it was always the same target but that is very likely.

Anyway, the gamemode seems balanced and that's the only problem I noticed after a few games, I really enjoyed it !

[TFUK]
Players
166 posts
5,485 battles

well that's 3 times ive got on the map from about 20 odd matches and 3 times the game has been friggin ruined by TX Russian DDs with virtually every HE shell  causing fires and no CV to help spot the little buggers.  I'm sure its fine but if you want to test out the new mode is there anyway we can have some means of influencing it to be selected? even if there was some means of increasing the chances of it being selected. 

[V888]
Beta Tester
413 posts
32,694 battles

It may just be cos its the PT but the games I had at TX were much more dynamic that normal, people being aggressive trying to target bastions with secondary fire etc.

Seems good :)

Beta Tester
2,982 posts
16,158 battles

I think this is a great new addition to the game. Have only tried this 3 Cap match if their is 4 cap aswell it may become a little overbaring. Loving they new kinds of tactics this gamemode forces out. I wanna try it more so a part of my feedback outside the video would be if it could be possible for players on the testservers to be able to controll the game a bit more just for testing purposes, such as for instance be able to choose to only play Bastion gamemode and be able to really give good feedback on it.

I love the possibility that in the future their has to be a more coordinated attack on a cap. Maybe CV strike the installations in forehand to knock them out while the fleet starts to push in to the cap to take it. Im not really sure how far WG will take this new feature but im intrigued.

The Jury is still out on those new ribbons and such tho. But i like that you get a report on youre shell damage, if its a hit, a overpen, a bounce etc.

Check it out!

[DJMDK]
Players
173 posts
17,112 battles

I like the new game mode. More modes please.
For me the 3 and 4 zone domination are getting boring, so the Bastion mode is very welcome.

Good Job

Fionia

Beta Tester
1,046 posts
8,508 battles

I don't get the map... Was driving the Zao now all day long but no Atlantic map... Got a lot of the vanilla ones though... 3 times the new maps. You really need to change the map queue!

I can only judge now on videos about this gamemode. Looks interesting but I hope that it won't lead to more passive gameplay... Right now on the live server people often ignore caps because they fear a DD or other things that will eventually hurt them. With the surveillance stations even DDs may not go for a cap because they will get detected and shot into pieces on the one hand by the enemy on the other hand by fortifications. It requires a lot of teamplay to take a zone back and well... we know how good the teamplay often is on the live server. Now it seems that people shooting at the fortifications because they are new, but if they get used to it, I have the fear that they will concentrate on the enemy instead. I hope this gamemode doesn't create a line of defence where the team without caps and already loosing can't be hold in the game by a single destroyer who is willing to cap and to risk his life to keep the team in the game. Can be a really hard time for solo players. We'll see how it develops over time. Hope I get the map soon to test it myself.

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,412 posts
7,888 battles

Agreed regarding the map rotation  for PT. I played some games last night - not one bastion game, and only once on a new map. Quite hard to give feedback about a game mode if I don't actually get to play it.......

Players
187 posts
6,035 battles

played a few matches, have no clue what capturing stuff does, except the gun fort.

im wishing like always for more information. But whatever at least WoWs is putting up way above average patches on a consistent basis so all is good(no sarcasm).

But if you really wanted proper feedback you could have explained what the mode is about, what benefits are awarded for capturing different stuff etc.

Beta Tester
1,046 posts
8,508 battles

It would be nice to get this map at least once!!! Was playing around the whole day got around 6 times on the new maps and the rest were just the regular maps... what are they even do in this map queue?!?! It's not like they need any testing. I will give bastion mode a bad reputation in the survey just because I can't test it out!

Alpha Tester
19,378 posts
6,105 battles

I have to admit I have reached Iowa without ever getting a Bastion game, the likeliness of getting that mode seems to low if WG expects sizeable amount of feedback on it. 

• Cool 1

Quality Poster
1,695 posts
9,500 battles

Finally managed to get into a game which featured the forts.

If there was any explanation on how it worked, I missed it.

I strongly encourage an explanation to be added, similar to the one for hurricanes/cyclones.

We got both on one map, which was kinda fun.

I neutralized a neutral fort instead of capping it and being able to profit from it, due to being unclear on the objectives.

EDIT: game just ended, I notice damage to the fort was NOT counted in the total damage I did, even though I did over 40 k damage, I think it should count for something at least..

Targeting the fort was a pain, but maybe that was in part because it was not yet occupied, my target lock kept switching to random enemy ships.

Nevertheless, if a strong enemy force is making a play to capture a fort, you want to be able to destroy it.

I also think being able to actually blow stuff up would be even more awesome.

Let's say that, once captured, a fort is a bit stronger than it is now and accurately fires at enemy ships, but from that point on, it becomes possible to actually destroy it, including the chance of a magazine detonation.

That would be pretty spectacular, wouldn't it?
In any case, it adds some variety, so I am all for it.

BTW, forts can have torpedoes.. Just sayin.. :hiding:

Beta Tester
1,046 posts
8,508 battles

Finally I got this gamemode too!

Well then here is some feedback:

It doesn't feel that much different to normal domination mode, the forts are no real harm to destroyers (they can smoke up and cap easy) maybe preventing a cruiser or battleship from capping but the guns don't hurt that much. The forts a more a "only destroyers can cap" addition if not destroyed but they do this job anyway most of the time. Couldn't figure out what the surveillance station range is and how big the impact really is. Its impossible for her to spot through smoke though or the range is pretty bad. All in all I'm not very impressed at all. I think this only leads to a more passive gameplay which the game doesn't need at all. Maybe it gets better if introduced better? Most of the players doesn't really know what to do with the bastions and how to use them to their advantage. I'm one of them, I don't know about the range of both stations, how much they can influence the gameplay or if they can protect a cap.

The alternative battle interface provides some information, but I don't know if this is a range circle or a spotting circle or what ever. Does the surveillance station only spot big vessels? Too many questions and no answers. Introducing a new gamemode like this (not to talk about the bad frequency you get on this map!) is just the wrong way to approach this.

shot-16.06.30_14.49.38-0222.jpgshot-16.06.30_14.58.34-0146.jpg

If alternative battlescreen is permanently activated (I know a lot of players do this) the minimap is really confusing. A lot of circles all in the same colour, this just looks awful and very unclear to me. First I thought it was a bug, then I remembered that I activated abs in the last night (at least I hope this is the case, because I remembered after the match and could not test it with abs deactivated...)

So in my opinion this needs a lot of rework and tweaks and a way better introduction.

Edit: Luckily I could test the abs in the replay! If deactivated the circles are gone.

Edited by 0BlackSkull0

[NACL]
[NACL]
Beta Tester
4 posts
12,330 battles

In this mode, what I find gamebreaking is that you hear that annoying sound that happens on standard battle when the enemy is capping.

In standard battle is tolerable because is not heard often but, in bastion mode you hear it everytime a base is contested. Imagine domination mode with that siren pounding your ears all the time. It makes me turn down the interface volume completly. Is a shame because the rest of the interface sounds are pretty good in my opinion.

• Cool 1