Sign in to follow this  
Zed_Von_Toza

T6 Aoba

7 comments in this topic

Players
326 posts
1,155 battles

Ok not far now till I can unlock the Aoba.

I have to say I love the Furutaka with the new C hull. I think I'm going to keep her for a long time.

I've only been able to find Aoba guides on YouTube that are quite old. Has anybody done a recent one?

Also I am guessing the Aoba is similar to the Furutaka in terms of play style. Are there any particular differences I should take note of?

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
923 posts
4,848 battles

If you enjoy C Hull Furutaka, you'll love Aoba. They are virtually the same ship.

The main differences for Aoba are;

- Better reload (fastest 8" gun reload until tier 9 German)

- Slower traverse rate

- Extra 2km of range

- Little extra speed, manoeuvrability and stealth

- Slightly more reliable AA (Plus the option to mount Defensive AA Fire)

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
573 posts
2,800 battles

Not much to add to StuntMan0369's very good post above really.  She plays much like the Furutaka with the new C hull - an excellent ship, very strong guns, excellent speed and agility, just a little bit short ranged, but has the stealth and speed to allow her to choose engagements on her own terms.  Use AP to murder BBs and CAs and HE to wreck DDs with ease.  I guess the only thing to be mindful off is the possibility of meeting tier 8s, which can be very strong.  Watch your broadsides with those long, weak citadels...

Edited by krazypenguin

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,608 posts

Aoba's torpedos face backwards like most subsequent IJN cruisers; Furutaka's have both a superior firing arc and even a slightly faster reload despite being the same model (quad Type 8). Speaking of arcs, Furutaka's rear gun turret has a wider one; Aoba's rear turret is blocked from its maximal rotation by boats on deck.

Edited by StringWitch

[INX]
Players
174 posts
9,365 battles

I feel like both are rather similar in playstyle, and the Aoba is a great ship for sure. Personally I feel like the Furutaka is the better, but that is mostly due to the tier it is placed at than anything else.

Not having a frontal torpedo layout kinda hurts too... I thought it wouldn't be that bad as I don't really use torps as much with the Furutaka, but there are some situations where a frontal torps would have helped you overcome obstacles like a BB without showing you their broadside (which will possibly instant kill you).

All in all Aoba is a better ship that I think you will enjoy playing. I've personally kept both the Furutaka (even before the upgrade of the C hull) and the Aoba.

Edited by Omnichr0n
  • Cool 1

[BRITS]
Beta Tester
434 posts
10,636 battles

Personally, I think the Aoba could use a reload buff, like 9 or 9.5 secs, considering the CA opposition at tier 6. It has less guns, even though they are 8", and torpedoes, all with bad swinging arcs.

Sign in to follow this