Sign in to follow this  
Titan_net

Roon vs Hindenburg

10 comments in this topic

Players
120 posts

I like the Roon. Agressive play in the Hipper usually resulted in my quick death, while in the Roon I can turn around, heal and farm damage with the back turrets. Or vanish if nobody is too close.

So why would I upgrade to Hindenburg? I get one more front gun turret and more torpedos (yay!) in exchange for a being a bigger target  and being seen ~2km earlier? Am I missing something beside the Tier 10 Trophy?

Players
695 posts

Depends on the playstyle, I ended up playing those ships completely differently. 

Roon I played more or less as a medium-long range sniper. Easier to get people to show you broadsides (as they angle vs closer targets), and 1 front turrent isnt very suitable for brawling. Hindenburg on other hand has double frontal firepower and double torpedoes, making it and excellent brawler. Extra torpedoes are not only there for damage - but 2 diff launchers make it very easy to force people to either take torps or show you full broadsides - which is just as bad vs Hinden. 

Thats not to say you cant keep distance in Hindenburg - basically it can do everything Roon does (although agreed - not MUCH better - there is no huge jump in effectiveness as with every other nation), but you also get crazy AA (well Roon has AA that can slaughter even t10 CVs, but it requires captain specifically trained for AA - with Hinden you can achieve same result without pretty much any AA perks - letting you get much better skills to deal with ships), and VASTLY improved brawling capabilities. 

Edit: One more thing - Hindenburg has vastly improved bow armor - in fact while it doesnt have the armored belt nearly as good, the Hinden bow is better armored then battleships. It wont save you vs penetrations from good angles, but its thick enough to not be overmatched even by Yamato shells - making it MUCH harder to frontally citadel the ship. Roon can be citadelled from front/rear rather reliably by BBs, Hinden cannot. Thats not to say it will never happen (no armor covers the ship completely really), but its much harder to do - and charging at BBs to get into torpedo range is actually much easier. 

Edited by Poster_2015

Beta Tester
990 posts
3,431 battles

The extra three guns and hp increase average damage by about 13%-25% (only 13% for me since I had very high damage in Roon).

That's about it. I think in hindsight the Roon was more fun to play, especially because it had better matchmaking. Hindenburg is underperforming right now, it'll need a buff to be on par with Zao and Moskva.

Players
120 posts

Roon I played more or less as a medium-long range sniper. Easier to get people to show you broadsides (as they angle vs closer targets), and 1 front turrent isnt very suitable for brawling. Hindenburg on other hand has double frontal firepower and double torpedoes, making it and excellent brawler.

You make Hindenburg sound like a smaller, less noticeable sister of Derpitz. Could be fun I guess.

[LTTCT]
Players
33 posts
10,782 battles

Was thinking to keep the Roon..But i dident Hindenburg is a monster compare to the Roon:coin:

Players
1,625 posts
14,901 battles

You make Hindenburg sound like a smaller, less noticeable sister of Derpitz. Could be fun I guess.

It is not less noticeable. Both Hindenburg and Tirptiz have 12.3km detection range in a full stealth spec.

I actually think that shaving off like 1 km off the Hindi's detection range would go a long way into making it a better ship. It would also make it more similar to the Roon.

Alpha Tester
390 posts
7,497 battles

What upgrade do you take on the third slot of the roon? Better AA? Better range? Or improved reload but less turret turn speed?

[TTTX]
Players
1,841 posts
7,432 battles

What upgrade do you take on the third slot of the roon? Better AA? Better range? Or improved reload but less turret turn speed?

Improved reload. Range is already enough and you'll rarely see carriers at that tier. Meanwhile the turret traverse is amazing without it and doesn't really take too big of a hit with the mod.

Sign in to follow this