Sign in to follow this  
Cadelanne

Torpedo acceleration ?

13 comments in this topic

[CXIV]
Players
519 posts
3,718 battles

Shouldn't they buff this skill ? Since recent AA changes, the only thing I've found to avoid being all-killed by AA is to drop from a longer range. If it's the only way you can drop with decent casualties so maybe they should buff it a bit, one way or an other ?

Players
2,928 posts
6,315 battles

The downside is it makes the arm distance longer as well so you can't drop torpedoes right in someone's face as easily. The AA can be frustrating but by the tiers where it is CVs have enough spare planes to lose every strike wave and still come out with decent overall damage. With my Hiryu I basically accept TB runs are suicide, if the torpedo is in the water before the plane dies it's a success.

• Cool 1

[U-W]
Players
83 posts
6,042 battles

Just to add (although, probably'cos I is stupid!), having torp acceleration set for my CVs means that in my poor attempts at manual drops, the torps always run out of range before striking home! Mind you, at Tier 7, where anybody finds the capacity to conduct manual drops whilst managing 7 squadrons is beyond me. At these higher Tiers, accelerated Torps is a MUST to stand any chance of defeating more wise & agile Captains.

But I agree with the post, my IJN Tier 6 & 7 CV attack aircraft CANNOT get close to a Tirpitz (Tier 8) and obviously a Cleveland/Atalanta.......if this post is read by new Captains just transitioning to Tier 6 /7 (with the wonderful MM constantly pitching you in against Tier 8s etc!) may I make the following observation:

Use the (countdown) time at game start before ships can move to have a quick study of the opposition "1st eleven". Note the player's names of the AAA capable platforms, and when playing the game in MAP mode, ALWAYS have a glance of who you are intending to attack (ALT Key) when deciding you next attack. 

[CXIV]
Players
519 posts
3,718 battles

You need to drop so when torps are hitting the water, the 1st torp is closer to the target than the last one. So when the 1st torp hit, the last one will be far enough to give enough time to the target to move forward, therefore meeting last torp's trajectory.

Of course it increase arming distance so it'll be harder to drop DDs. That's a downside to this skill but on the other hand it's painful to loose 10 or 12 planes when droping an isolated BB. Even if higher tier carriers have a bigger amount of planes, if you loose that much planes per run you won't make it for the whole game.

Players
2,928 posts
6,315 battles

Odd, I find Tirpitz to be a fairly easy bomb target in my Hiryu, and when I'm sailing my Tirpitz I'm always priority target for CVs. I think you got unlucky running into heavy AA spec ones. Nagatos and Amagis same, you will lose planes going for them but I feel you guys are exaggerating or picking and choosing bad experiences where the BB was probably running AFT + Manual control + AA module. In my Nagato I feel completely naked if there is a CV around. I did run into a Colorado like that once, if I could see him in the same screen as my planes they were dead, but that's not normal. Cruisers you always need to watch out for of course.

For manual drops with lots of squadrons, I usually drop two at a time as if they were one. You need to fly them around a bit until they more or less merge then make sure not to order them separately. That way with IJN for example you have 8 torpedoes in a very tight pattern, it's practically impossible to miss.

Edited by VC381

[CXIV]
Players
519 posts
3,718 battles

Most BBs run an AA-spec commander, with the ridiculous lvl 4 manual AA skill. An Amagi can kill a whole Shokaku TB wing before they drop their fish with an AA build.

• Cool 1

[COWI]
Players
18 posts
2,051 battles

The downside is it makes the arm distance longer as well so you can't drop torpedoes right in someone's face as easily. The AA can be frustrating but by the tiers where it is CVs have enough spare planes to lose every strike wave and still come out with decent overall damage. With my Hiryu I basically accept TB runs are suicide, if the torpedo is in the water before the plane dies it's a success.

[edited]
Edited by RogDodgeUK
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to forum rules violation.~RogDodgeUK

[COWI]
Players
18 posts
2,051 battles

You need to drop so when torps are hitting the water, the 1st torp is closer to the target than the last one. So when the 1st torp hit, the last one will be far enough to give enough time to the target to move forward, therefore meeting last torp's trajectory.

Of course it increase arming distance so it'll be harder to drop DDs. That's a downside to this skill but on the other hand it's painful to loose 10 or 12 planes when droping an isolated BB. Even if higher tier carriers have a bigger amount of planes, if you loose that much planes per run you won't make it for the whole game.

Actually you will make it all game long, cause the amount of reserve planes on high tiers is that [edited] high
Edited by RogDodgeUK
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to forum rules violation.~RogDodgeUK

[TTTX]
Players
1,841 posts
7,432 battles

Actually you will make it all game long, cause the amount of reserve planes on high tiers is that [edited] high

After how many attacks should a CV run out of planes in your opinion? 1?
Edited by RogDodgeUK

[COWI]
Players
18 posts
2,051 battles

After how many attacks should a CV run out of planes in your opinion? 1?

After how many lost ships should any other player loose the round in your poinion? Just 1? :)

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,150 posts
11,801 battles

After how many lost ships should any other player loose the round in your poinion? Just 1? :)

[edited]
Edited by RogDodgeUK
  • Cool 1

[UTW]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,894 posts
3,546 battles

I personnaly run Torp Accel on both my IJN and USN , for the IJN it was 1st because I begin to play them while their torp speed without skill was 40 knt , so it was an hard nerf for the IJN carriers when they set the IJN torpedo speed at 35 knt . So I take the skill to be able to perform the same attack as before the nerf .

But their is another point who make the TA skill a must for any CV , it's for the DD hunting . Like you probably know it , at higher tier , all the DD can run more than 35 knt , so if you want to put a proper cross drop on them , you MUST have the TA skill , otherwise , the DD will outspeed your torpedo and escape safely . 

Beside , the dogfight expert skill is completely useless with the mirror MM , and TA is the lone skill who can deserve the proper duty of a carrier . So take it without hesitation .  

And our friend Art185 was not the one who want to remove the CV from the game since he don't like the class ? I propose just to blacklist him and spot listen to is stupid bla . 

• Cool 1

[STT]
Players
20 posts
6,501 battles

I run Torp Accel on IJN and find it's a must.

It allows you to drop from long range with higher accuracy due to increased speed,

and on IJN CVs, while the TA skill forces you to drop from a longer range, the torpedo convergence also means that you'll reach a tighter spread.

It's invaluable at low tiers due to the targets being relatively small,

and invaluable at high tiers due to the targets being so big you can drop from long range and have everything strike its target.

I don't find it that useful for DD crossdrops however, as in higher tiers they can outrun your torps even with TA... Then again i rarely crossdrop, i prefer to just lure them in turning and intercept drop...

Trivia: 3 TB IJN squadrons can oneshot wreck almost anything if you drop it from far enough for convergence, the guy was stupid enough not to enable Defensive AA consummable, and you didn't lose planes. It sounds farfetched, but it's something you can use on occasion, i've managed to oneshot a Midway and sometimes Tirpitzes just because their players were stupid enough to not take proper evasive action and I had some luck with AA RNG.

Edited by Firartix

Sign in to follow this