You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SerPurr

Propulsion Modification 2: Thoughts?

32 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
722 posts
16,744 battles

As you all are probably aware, the Propulsion Modification 2 has been buffed in the new patch from a -20 to a -50% time to reach full power.

So far I've tried it on my Mogami, Atago, Kutuzov and Kiev and I still can't decide if it's worth giving up the faster rudder shift for.

On the Kutuzov it helps stopping from full speed so you can smoke up easier.

Haven't had any troubles dodging torps much but it's still early.

What are your thoughts?

• Cool 1

Players
2,832 posts
21,712 battles

i run it on the kutuzov for a long time now (it was way to go even before the buff ^^)

i would not run it on any other cruiser atm.

now i have it by default on the most BB's (exception beeing the tirpitz and amagi)

it really benefits the plasyle of the NCA like ships (and now even more so cause you leave those nasty verry low speed area faster)

Alpha Tester
2,503 posts

i was thinking on using it on my Atlanta instead of my actual rudder, maybe ? but i'm not sure ...

yeah and it fits straight to ennemy BB playstyle well. Richelieu is waiting for it too ^^

Edited by OttoKretschmer

Beta Tester
722 posts
16,744 battles

Does it also help in reducing the amount of speed you bleed off in sharp turns btw? 

• Propulsion Modification 2 (-20% to the time it takes to reach full power): the bonus has been increased to -50% to the time it takes to reach full power. Moreover, with this upgrade the engine is automatically boosted by 50% while the ship accelerates from 0 to 6 knots (in both ahead and astern directions)

Edited by Architekton

[NWP]
Beta Tester
2,471 posts
24,027 battles

The last time I asked the answer was yes, it does help on speed bleed (at least the acceleration part after the turn). I used it on some DDs who's rudder shift was already ok and who bleed speed like hell while turning in order to reach max speed faster after turning, however I was never able to figure out if it really had an effect (as I did not do a direct comparison by installing any other mod).

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,119 posts
7,764 battles

Hmm, still too early to say. Depends on the ships and how much rudder shift time "bonus" you have to trade in for it. 

Had the "old" one on my Ognevoi and was quite satisfied; but this ship has a quite decent default rudder shift time (4.8) and the Russian toddler-CLs (aka DDs :) ) are speed-gunboats anyway. 

Installed the "new" one on my Blyskawica (since this little Polish baby-CL is a bit sluggish imho) and ... well ... not quite the results I expected. The default 5.8 sec rudder shift time (compared to around 4.7 with RST-module) feels not so good. 

Wait and see. 

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
573 posts
2,800 battles

i was thinking on using it on my Atlanta instead of my actual rudder, maybe ? but i'm not sure ...

I was wondering exactly the same thing.  Whilst I'm not too bothered with her acceleration, her braking seems to be slower than I would like or expect and without careful handling she has a tendency to slip past islands, out of cover and leave her stranded as you desperately try and back up - which is usually fatal.  So I could definitely see the advantage of this upgrade on her. 

However, she's also a bit of a whale with handling that feels decidedly sub-par.  Given the short range of her guns and her ambush play style, she's usually knee deep in torpedoes, so the improved rudder shift is essential.

Final vote....sticking with rudder shift.  Careful management of the engine (using 1/4 speed) can help to not overshoot cover but nothing can help you turn faster.

Beta Tester
722 posts
16,744 battles

Speaking of stuff, DD's always had very little issues stopping ofc but with this mod on it feels like you just slam on a virtual handbrake :ohmy:

[SCRUB]
Players
2,477 posts
10,666 battles

Excellent mod. I even ran -20% version in my DD's. Acceleration is so important when capping and dodging those enemy torps

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

Installed the "new" one on my Blyskawica (since this little Polish baby-CL is a bit sluggish imho) and ... well ... not quite the results I expected. The default 5.8 sec rudder shift time (compared to around 4.7 with RST-module) feels not so good. 

And that is what I was looking for - thx

Beta Tester
282 posts
1,216 battles

the buff definitely made this mod a lot more useful. i also find it useful on CA (and would see uses for it on fast battleships like the Amagi as well).

Edit: tested on the Amagi. i accelerate alot faster and dont bleed alot of speed will turning (and can slow down alot faster as well :P) and so far i'm in love with this mod <3

Edited by Antlion

Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles

I use the prop mod on DD's only. It's essential for me to brake or speedup as quickly as possible. The rudder shifts are fast enough for me anyways. This mod has made me forget the last time I got torped by a DD apart from a random spread while not paying attention enough or running into a tight spread in a knife fight (which gives me 10 discount flags in 90% of the cases because of my return spread). For me the mod is as essential as the sit awereness skill on the captain.

+ 1 for asking advice OP!

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
Players
1,841 posts
7,432 battles

Think I'm gonna try it on my Kutuzov and various DDs as it seems like it might be useful when using smoke.

[HNS]
Players
727 posts
17,327 battles

I run the older version in all my US DDs because they already have excellent rudder turn time.

The new one is even better! It really helps when you have to get to the cap first or brake hard to avoid something.

I would not recommend it for cruisers or BBs though. Rudder is more important there.

Beta Tester
282 posts
1,216 battles

I would not recommend it for cruisers or BBs though. Rudder is more important there.

on USN/German/Soviet CA and BB i can see why you would recommand rudder, but on IJN CA/BB it depends...

Beta Tester
722 posts
16,744 battles

I'm actually curious what would be the better deal on ships with very bad rudder shift times or huge turning circles. I can imagine on the Schors it might actually make more sense to get this module too?

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,052 posts
8,765 battles

Tested it on my Izumo... and man it was glorious. Instead of using the rudder to evade stuff it was so easy to use the throttle. Enemy fire on you? Slam the breaks and watch all the shells pass in front. I noticed a lot of enemies doing the same. Mostly cruisers of course, but also a battleship. Naturally it won't work at mid range, but there it is mostly for the expected torps.

And against carriers? Well, by the time the carrier makes his strike your rudder should long since have been thrown over, at that point it is more important to be able to slow down fast. And get up to speed again afterwards.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
722 posts
16,744 battles

Tested it on my Izumo... and man it was glorious.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful!

Weekend Tester
1,677 posts
18,664 battles

Tested it on my Izumo... and man it was glorious. Instead of using the rudder to evade stuff it was so easy to use the throttle. Enemy fire on you? Slam the breaks and watch all the shells pass in front. I noticed a lot of enemies doing the same. Mostly cruisers of course, but also a battleship. Naturally it won't work at mid range, but there it is mostly for the expected torps.

And against carriers? Well, by the time the carrier makes his strike your rudder should long since have been thrown over, at that point it is more important to be able to slow down fast. And get up to speed again afterwards.

Seems like a reasonable approach. I will have to try it on high tier BBs. Thanks for the tip :medal:

Currently I tried it on Sims which I use for ranked, since it already has a great rudder shift time.

I found it very useful in dodging walls of torps launched at me when I am in smoke. Previously I would usually leave the smoke when expecting incoming torps.

Being now very quick in reaching 1/4 speed or reverse from stationary, gives me much better dodging opportunity without leaving the smoke.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
6,036 posts
34,128 battles

Tried it on Atlanta and Pensacola, but was not worth it.

Players
448 posts
20,182 battles

I use it on my Kiev. I actually had the 20% buff before so automatic upgrade.

When I hunt IJN DD's and they send torps my way I can just reduce speed to 1/2  and its like a handbrake, the torps just passes buy dropping from 44knots to 20 in a few seconds.

The patch notices also indicates a 50% increase in power under 6knots.

Exactly how to interpret "WG" patch notices and Descriptions have always been like a religion BUT it seems one accelerates faster in the beginning.

And this is the problem.

This Upgrade is so Over Powered, sure I use it now so Im a hypocrite, not because I really want to but because I NEED to, every one else will use it so then I must to.

But its so OP, I mean just today after a few matches in my Kiev I ducked torps from a Minikaze that would have nuked me with the old 20% acceleration boost.

I sat in smoke going back and forward so fast I could duck all toprs and cap, with the old 20% I would have  gotten nuked long ago, and I did this at least two times today in just 4 battles or so. Its ludicrously unskilful really!

So yea my survival ratio is higher now.

But thats the problem, I play IJN DD's to, I LOVE nuking ships with torps.

I play BB's to, about 50% BB and 50% DD.

Whats the fun in making torps useless now? Well exaggeration  maybe but torps are SO EASY to avoid now there's no skill involved and Eurobeat will be something from the past. It IS fun ducking torps with skills, not so much just hitting reverse. Sure fun laugh the first few times until you relies it actually removes fun from the game.

I WISH wargaming would nerfe this dam upgrade because its OP and  once it becomes everyone's favourite where back at, "people are not using Upgrade X so lets remove Upgrade X and Buff Upgrade Y"

If acceleration was so underused buff it a little then, say 25% or 30%, that would have been enough and this ridiculous acceleration from 0-6knots makes every ship feel like RC boats made of balsa wood, there's no inertia any more.

WG knows how to ruin the game, everyone I spoken to that I DIV whit agrees that a Nerf is probably coming to this upgrade in the future so dont get to dam attached to it.

One thing is clear, WG had to much vodka when coding that upgrade.

From 20% to 50% are you crazy! Its nto world of RC boats WG! Learn game balance please!

Edited by G3Virus

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,608 posts

The last time I asked the answer was yes, it does help on speed bleed (at least the acceleration part after the turn). I used it on some DDs who's rudder shift was already ok and who bleed speed like hell while turning in order to reach max speed faster after turning, however I was never able to figure out if it really had an effect (as I did not do a direct comparison by installing any other mod).

I tried this for myself (on Ranger) once without the module, and then with it, and found my speed stabilised at 17.9kts during a sustained hard turn at full steam in both cases. This was in 5.6 though. I could try again and with different ship classes if you want; I've got plenty of credits for the refitting.

Personally I've always used the module on destroyers, though I only have one such ship of a high enough tier to mount it anyway. I also have it on New Mexico just for something different, and 13.5s rudder shift is still better than Arkansas anyway, so I'm totally fine with it (plus if I really wanna dodge torps in a T6 BB, I've got Warspite already).