Flash_overlord

shoutout to Neighbours map

22 comments in this topic

Players
89 posts
13,717 battles

a bit of positive feedback for a change:

have you guys noticed how when you play on the Neighbours map, sometimes you start right inside the harbor at the back of the map ?

(seems to happen most often for BB or CV)

look at your sides and behind you before sailing forward (or when the map is loading): you ship is moored along the jetty, with the big city right behind you , with cars and buses driving along the road and tiny fishing boats also moored around in the harbor! :)

now that is the kind of things i wish we'd see on more maps! it's cool, it looks great, and it lets you appreciate much better the epic size and scale of your ships, and as the game begins, it looks like 2 fleets are leaving harbor from the opposing neighbours islands to clash in the middle!

Nice Job to whoever had the idea and designed this map at WG, it's instantly one of my favorite maps now just because of this neat detail! :honoring:

Edited by Flash_overlord
  • Cool 2

[S0F]
Beta Tester
163 posts
6,402 battles

First thing I thought when I saw this map was the spelling 'Neighbors', don't know if they fixed it yet or not. I'm guessing that's US spelling they can't seem to handle the extra U...

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,653 posts
9,494 battles

I agree, I like that map as well. Ofc a new meta has yet to develop for it and that could make me hate it .... but lets hope for the best.

Players
133 posts

I'd like to see more spawns like this. Adds a lot more interest and scope for setting the scene, and potentially a new game mode. Destruction? Fight your way through the enemy team and bombard his home port. Damage points and XP for entering his port zone and hitting important infrastructure targets ashore.

[AWG]
Beta Tester
212 posts
3,814 battles

A good map, but I have noticed if you are at the south end of the map, you cannot see incoming torpedo indicators due to the sun reflection on the sea as I just found out to my cost!

Players
744 posts
7,393 battles

Its a nice map.

Played a couple of games on neighbours yesterday. Seemed the bbs were very slow getting underway from being docked in port. First thought wasnt slow loading or afk players but that wg had stuck a delay on them setting sail due to the crew needing rounding up from pubs in town. :)

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

The map itself is beautiful, I'll give you that, and I love the detail in the city. The spawn point idea is cool and I hope it leads to a future base bombardment game mode.

However, in gameplay terms it has the same problem as every other new map in this patch and the previous one: too many goddamn tiny islands! Seriously we're fighting with big blue water ships, I don't want all games on Ocean but this "now you can shoot now you can't" playstyle that's seemingly being enforced is ridiculous. Big islands splitting the map is great but minefields you don't have room to turn in aren't fun. I thought I left maps with that playstyle behind at low tier...

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,994 posts

8a391f544e7a00a721aed3b89e6b8ade.jpg

Not too much space to dock your ship though... I probably could fit in an Omaha though, if I push hard enough.

Beta Tester
722 posts
11,943 battles

Love the map too, especially that little fortress island. Would indeed be great if we got more of these port-spawn locations!

Players
744 posts
7,393 battles

Love the map too, especially that little fortress island. Would indeed be great if we got more of these port-spawn locations!

in the middle of a fairly intense firefight ... actually stopped to check out the fortress island. damn distracting easter eggs! :D

Beta Tester
722 posts
11,943 battles

in the middle of a fairly intense firefight ... actually stopped to check out the fortress island. damn distracting easter eggs! :D

Haha yes very much so! There's another castle/fortress on either Okinawa or Estuary (sorry, brain is Swiss Cheese) and it's very oddly colored. Like it's been taken over by hippies :unsure:

Players
62 posts

8a391f544e7a00a721aed3b89e6b8ade.jpg

Not too much space to dock your ship though... I probably could fit in an Omaha though, if I push hard enough.

LOL...Keep an eye out for 'Bouncer' as you park. :look:

Beta Tester
128 posts
3,707 battles

Small details like these are neat. I also use to zoom in and look at the excavator digging on onr island near south spawn on Land on Fire

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles

I like it and I'm thrilled by the city on the North spawn, as it's accurately modelled and clearly recognisable as Taranto.

On the other hand, I wish the lighting was reworked. When looking west the light reflecting on the sea is very bright and makes aiming difficult.

Beta Tester
14 posts
2,252 battles

The city in the south is Marseilles. The port is the "Vieux Port" (old port) with the  "Pont Transbordeur" (transporter bridge) crossing it. This bridge was destroyed by Wehrmacht in 1944. On the right side the "Fort Saint Jean" and on the left "Fort Saint Nicolas". The big church is the Cathedral "La Major". 

The little fortress island is very realistic. It's the "Chateau d'If", transformed in jail, with the prisoner "Edmond Dantes", an Alexander's  Dumas heroe.

if.jpg

(I was born in Marseille :) and' of course, I love this map)

And thanks Cosseria for Taranto ! 

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,359 battles

I disagree, this map is bad for CVs spawn wise, we get placed so far back, or between 2 islands, and by the time we get around those Islands, the enemy DD division is there... I know this doesnt happen too often, but when the team goes the other way whilest you're trying to weather an island, it gets hairy fairly quickly

Players
419 posts
7,356 battles

Last time I spawned like that (in Missouri) I was almost tempted to stay in that harbour and defend from range. Looked like a nice spot but I just have to push.

[L4GG]
Players
1,546 posts
6,270 battles

don't like it at all, after the epicentre it's my least fav map, but for sightseeing it's cool.

I wish I had the loveboat (don't know the name of the actual ship) in port.