LilJumpa

New - Spotting Mechanics Guide Rework [Patch 0.5.5]

45 comments in this topic

26 posts
3,986 battles

Well, if he's the only enemy left up, and there's solid cover between you and him, the only case he should be able to spot you is with his plane. I've had situations where I've been spotted by aircraft and never actually seen the aircraft in question, so it could be possible. No idea though, I'd need a replay file to kinda check.

Thanks for the response. I went back and looked, and I hadn't noticed the tiny plane symbol, so yes it must have been his aircraft. No aircraft became visible at any point though so it was spotting through that giant mountain at the south east side of the map. 

4,559 posts
7,407 battles

Thanks for the response. I went back and looked, and I hadn't noticed the tiny plane symbol, so yes it must have been his aircraft. No aircraft became visible at any point though so it was spotting through that giant mountain at the south east side of the map. 

Planes ignore islands. Landmasses do not block their line of sight only smoke does.

[COR3] Brainzzzzz
41 posts
7,875 battles

C. New Weather Effects - Cyclone on the Map North and its effects on visibility

This new weather effect was added in Patch 0.5.5. 

This part needs to be polished and finished and is still being reworked by me.

All visibility circles are hardcapped at 8km maximum range. If a ship has lower ranges than 8km (like for example a DD with 6km surface detection range) they will naturally stay the same, it just doesn't go above 8km.

Exception to this rule seems to be the Surveillance Radar Consumable,

Enemies which are further away from the ship using the Radar, but still in the range mentioned in the tooltip of the consumable, will only appear on the minimap and will not be visible for you ore friendly ships.

Aircraft Carriers in this cyclone lose their 50km maximum acquisition range and are limited to:

- 8km around the ship

- 3km around each plane squadron

AHUTcKt.jpg

If this Cyclone appears on the North map is random. It only appears in 50% of the matches played on this map and it has to be the daytime/summer version of this map.

If it appears on the map it will occur between 18:00 min and 10:00 min left in the battle and lasts 2-10 mins. This also is random.

To indicate the beginning of this weather feature, a textmessage is displayed on the screen that there is a cyclone inbound, as you can see on the following picture. There also a special sound indicating this event.

Note: This is a Training room battle Replay. My New Orleans has a maximum acquisition range of ~ 23km as you can see on the minimap as the squares have a sidelenght of 5km.

AhrkWaU.jpg

PPt626k.png

Gj, thanks for putting up all that work for this compendium of knowledge! Thank you good Sir! +1 from me

4 posts
2,945 battles

It's good to have all this in one place, in particular the details of cyclone mechanics.

One thing with regards to the Situational Awareness symbols though, I'm not sure that this is 100% accurate:

"- the third symbol is shown when the only reason for you being visible are the consumables Surveillance Radar or Hydroacoustic Search used by an enemy ship"

I could be wrong here, so let me know if I am, but I think that the third symbol is shown when the reason for you being spotted is that you are within someone's assured acquisition range. This does mean that, if you're spotted as a result of either of the two previously mentioned consumables, this symbol shows (as they are effectively increasing your assured acquisition range). Though in my experience it also shows if these consumables are not in effect, such as if a very narrow (but tall enough) island is between you and an enemy ship, so you're within 2/3 km of one another but not in line of sight.

Perhaps someone could test this? It's possible I also had someone else spotting me with one of those consumables when I was in that situation.

4,559 posts
7,407 battles

It's good to have all this in one place, in particular the details of cyclone mechanics.

One thing with regards to the Situational Awareness symbols though, I'm not sure that this is 100% accurate:

"- the third symbol is shown when the only reason for you being visible are the consumables Surveillance Radar or Hydroacoustic Search used by an enemy ship"

I could be wrong here, so let me know if I am, but I think that the third symbol is shown when the reason for you being spotted is that you are within someone's assured acquisition range. This does mean that, if you're spotted as a result of either of the two previously mentioned consumables, this symbol shows (as they are effectively increasing your assured acquisition range). Though in my experience it also shows if these consumables are not in effect, such as if a very narrow (but tall enough) island is between you and an enemy ship, so you're within 2/3 km of one another but not in line of sight.

Perhaps someone could test this? It's possible I also had someone else spotting me with one of those consumables when I was in that situation.

Hi

Just tested that with a smokescreen in a training room. The smoke should have the same effect, since it blocks the direct line of sight.

Went close to an enemy (1.5km) laid smoke and reversed. So the only reason we saw eachther was the assured acquisition range at < 2.0km

The SA symbol was the first one in this test.

6,336 posts
4,056 battles

Could you add the fact that smoke will not deploy until 2 seconds after you press the button. A section on DDs and smoke would be nice. Good work!

similarly when "!" Appears you appear on the minimap. 3 seconds later you will render to ships in range. 

4,559 posts
7,407 battles

There is a section about smoke : http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/49421-new-spotting-mechanics-guide-rework-patch-055/#Smoke

The 2 sec delay was also mentioned but I added it to the text to make it more obvious.

That you are only visible 3 seconds after the SA goes off is something I cannot confirm since it only appears in certain situations and I have never seen an official statement about this.

8 posts
10,462 battles

When maneuvering to avoid shot fired it still follows my ship  it is becoming increasingly difficult to avoid  incoming fire this is not all the time but seems to be in some maps ?

8 posts
10,462 battles

Some of the guns on some ships are not creating the damage they should and some destroyers are killing battle ships at will in a number of maps it seems as if fall of shot is to long or to short or just passes over the target 

244 posts

I've got a question about direct line of sight acquisition. 

Two DD's meet each other on open sea, no smoke or islands, no planes and radars included. Both have 7.7 km visibility. I get and info that i'm visible and that enemy destroyer is spotted. One of us or both, keep moving forward. But for few seconds, i don't see him, and he doesn't shoot either. We see each other at 6.x km's instead of 7.7 and start shooting in the same moment.

Is this a bug or server related issue or something else?

4,559 posts
7,407 battles

Late answer, but better late than never :)

This is caused by the current mechanics of Situational Awareness (the captain skill) in combination with visibility and detectability:

visible: your ship is actually visible both on the screen and on the minimap of the enemy

detected: you are meeting the terms of being detectable (direct line of sight, range, etc.)

How it works at the moment (Patch 0.5.7):

SA is combined with being detected not with being visible.

If you are detected (SA symbol comes up) you will be visible 3secs later. If you are no longer detected (SA Symbol fades) you will still be visible for another 3 secs.

• Cool 1

[TAW] Maihon
54 posts
2,816 battles

Quick question the Captain Skill, Situational Awareness, mentioned in your guide (for which thanks) has that been renamed as, Priority Target, or have I missed something?

[T_I_W] Ilya_Wolf
139 posts
8,667 battles
25 minutes ago, Maihon said:

Quick question the Captain Skill, Situational Awareness, mentioned in your guide (for which thanks) has that been renamed as, Priority Target, or have I missed something?

Situational Awareness was added as a default skill for all players some patches ago so everyone is aware when they are spotted.

Priority Target tells you when (and how many) enemies focus your ship as the target - some people use it on almost every ship and some dont