Sign in to follow this  
Ferry_25

Benson C-hull

13 comments in this topic

Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles

Hey people,

I tried to search about this topic but couldn't find anything about his issue. I'm looking to improve my skills. I'm experiencing the dilemma of the Benson C-hull. I sacrifice 1 turret to slightly better AA and maneuvrability. I did take the gamble and researhced it. I must say: the ship is moving like an eel in snot... But I miss the extra turret severely. What's your advice? go back to the B or stick to the C?

it.

[FILO]
Beta Tester
335 posts
4,017 battles

The C hull will give you AA defensive ability, while that may be an option to take for team battles, I do not feel that it is the best choice for general use.

The Benson lives and dies by it's guns, so having one knocked out in the C hull will reduce you by 25% Which is a great deal for the class.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

Oh, Benson C hull gives defensive fire? Did not know that. I use defensive fire on my Fletcher since I barely use the speed boost in any of my other DDs. But I don't feel that it is important enough to sacrifice the extra gun. Hell, before the Benson B hull was buffed I just rolled around with the A hull and slightly worse torps to get the maximum firepower from my guns :D

[TTTX]
Players
1,952 posts
7,021 battles

In random battles the amount of times you run into CVs isnt worth losing the 5th gun for better AA. In team battles where you have much higher chance of meeting CVs it is more viable.

You can get the rudder shift module to improve the B hull maneuverability.

Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles

I tempt to agree. Missing the gun is quite severe. The 1 point more AA is not noticable: Benson can give a bite to be taken seriously to planes. But the rudder shift + is awesome I must admit. I can recommend trying it. It really feels unrestrained!

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,465 posts
11,649 battles

The 1 point more AA is not noticable

the AA on DD has different purpose

its not about shooting down aircraft, more like increasing the planes dispersion thanks to the AA consumable, thus being able to evade bombs and torps more easily (especially needed for team battles)

Players
3,436 posts
21,819 battles

Screw the AA, the selling point of the C hull is the improved rudder shift. 

Benson AA can shoot at planes for several minutes with Defensive Fire activated and STILL not down a single one.

This is my experience from ranked games. 

After the patch 5.x torpedo buffs, random torpedoes started becoming my most frequent cause of death in ranked.

If you have similar problems, I can recommend either the Captain skill "vigilance" or going for the C hull.

Maybe even both. Getting the rudder shift allows a bit more dodging of incoming CA/BB fire too.

Beta Tester
2,177 posts
23,249 battles

I did manage to shoot down 15 aircraft using the C hull and defensive fire and in that configuration it is quite good at keeping enemy aircraft away especially scouting fighters.

[ST0RM]
[ST0RM]
Players
318 posts
18,273 battles

You also get an armored turret protection for the second cannon from the back, enhancing its survivability, and the cannon you lose is the "lame turret" in the middle that has the worst firing angles of all 5 turrets.

Players
1,225 posts

I did manage to shoot down 15 aircraft using the C hull and defensive fire and in that configuration it is quite good at keeping enemy aircraft away especially scouting fighters.

Which is not that impressive if its tier 6 planes. Kudos if you downed tier 10 ones.

Stick with B hull. If you want to shoot down planes in a dd get the Fletcher, it doesn't sacrifice a gun for its AA consumable.

Sign in to follow this