You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ysterpyp

Two full broadsides no citadel at 87 degrees to cruisers FTW

21 comments in this topic

[ADRIA]
Players
1,490 posts
25,729 battles

Hi All

I made a training room and this happens when you go close to a CA and open fire on its perfectly presented broadside at close range. I tested with t6 and t7 cruisers and the same thing happens ( nothing)

Look at where all the holes are its even more that two broadsides, i aimed for the magazines and midship , all shots overpenning even through citadel. Working as inteded?

Id4KbDI.jpg

ktsjz0E.jpg

'

So think of this , cruiser is coming in close for a torp run and you wait for the perfect broadside , you fire and 10k damage max. boom blows you out of the water , so you have to shoot when he is still at a bit of angle otherwise all shot will overpen at close range. 

This seems incorrect to me

Edited by Ysterpyp

Beta Tester
24 posts
905 battles

would say its working as intended, the citadel on most ships sits below the water line, very few ships have it above the waterline so needs a slightly downward angle or all shells hitting the water line to get a citadel, at close range the shells have a flater arc so getting them to hit/ pen below the water line after penetrating the armor is a little bit more problematic.

[TTTX]
Players
1,841 posts
7,432 battles

The shells can often overpen the citadel when at very close ranges. You can prevent this by firing at the waterline, as the shells will loose some penetration power when they travel through the water.

Edited by Ictogan

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

BB APs were designed to punch through BB armor and most of them have over half meter penetration at point blank range.

Also fuze has delay intended to allow shell to penetrate thick armor and then at slowed down speed to proceed to inner compartments of BB.

In comparison relatively thin cruiser armor doesn't slow AP's speed much any and also ship is slimmer.

Apparently IJN also used longer delay than USN to allow short falling shells time to hit ship below thickest belt armor before detonating.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
7,339 posts
7,856 battles

The shells can often overpen the citadel when at very close ranges. You can prevent this by firing at the waterline, as the shells will loose some penetration power when they travel through the water.

Not to mention that being the thickest part of the vessel's armor, generally.

[ADRIA]
Players
1,490 posts
25,729 battles

You can prevent this by firing at the waterline

I tried that to , doesn't work at close range

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,389 battles

so we need special anti-cruiser shells :playing:

HE works rather well. Especially if it blows off the torpedoes they were about to launch :D 

but it this is only recommended for high HP cruisers at *point blank* range, when AP just bounces off the citadel roof...

[1DSF]
Moderator, In AlfaTesters
3,520 posts
9,518 battles

It's actually BS for me. AT least a Citadel overpen should be do more DMG than a normal Overpen. 

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,389 battles

Well it's not a citadel overpen. It's an overpen plus a citadel ricochet. So it does minimal damage in this scenario.

[1DSF]
3,520 posts
9,518 battles

Well it's not a citadel overpen. It's an overpen plus a citadel ricochet. So it does minimal damage in this scenario.

no actually you overpen Citadel.  Some Cruiser esp. IJN Engineroom Starts over the Waterline. And DD can Citadel  (no overpen)there.

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,389 battles

no actually you overpen Citadel.  Some Cruiser esp. IJN Engineroom Starts over the Waterline. And DD can Citadel  (no overpen)there.

Well then in that specific scenario that is daft. You should get a regular pen or something for landing heavy shells *inside the engine room* even if they do go right through it. Citadel containing like important ship stuff...

[1DSF]
3,520 posts
9,518 battles

Well then in that specific scenario that is daft. You should get a regular pen or something for landing heavy shells *inside the engine room* even if they do go right through it. Citadel containing like important ship stuff...

Thats why I say it's BS. :red_button:

[ADRIA]
Players
1,490 posts
25,729 battles

So we are hitting the kitchen and living quarters? If you hit the kitchen i will be out of action 

[ADRIA]
Players
1,490 posts
25,729 battles

No cruiser should ever be able to survive a full broadside like this ever

[-NOA-]
[-NOA-]
Beta Tester
98 posts
8,943 battles

I would say this fall on RNG. It just wasn't meant to be.

I have experienced the same problem like that a lot also. Shooting at a cruiser with my battleship at 6 km or less and only getting overpen no matter if he gives me a sharp angel or broadside.

when the AP shell goes through the hull, it explodes inside the ship and the shrapnel goes through the citadel. Making it feel like the citadel is bigger than it actually is. that's why its possible to sometimes hit on the bow or aft end and get citadel hit. That's another RNG.

Players
340 posts
134 battles

Through-water penetrations have a very narrow margin though. You get maybe 1 per 10 citadel hits at close range.

Given the choice, a better tactic against close-range cruisers is to fire when they're somewhat angled. Goes against instinct, but works well in most cases.

Players
340 posts
134 battles

when the AP shell goes through the hull, it explodes inside the ship and the shrapnel goes through the citadel. Making it feel like the citadel is bigger than it actually is. that's why its possible to sometimes hit on the bow or aft end and get citadel hit. That's another RNG.

Neither of these cases have much to do with RNG. Citadel overpens are caused by the shell passing through both sides of the ship before exploding (shells have a detonation timer, typically 0.033 seconds for BB AP). Bow/aft citadels are caused by shells passing through the thin bow/stern armour and then punching through the internal citadel bulkhead.

The only RNG in the AP damage mechanics is for ricochets. Typically a shell that impacts at 45 degrees has a 0% chance of a ricochet, while a shell landing at 60 degrees has a 100% chance. Chances for angles in between are interpolated.

[ORSA]
Players
380 posts
11,354 battles

No cruiser should ever be able to survive a full broadside like this ever

No good BB captain should ever let a cruiser to come that close. 

Just aim at the waterline and cruiser will go down to the bottom of the sea in 1 or 2 salvos, before getting a chance to approach so much. So MAN THE FORK UP :)

Edited by P4RDUS

[1DSF]
3,520 posts
9,518 battles

No good BB captain should ever let a cruiser to come that close. 

Just aim at the waterline and cruiser will go down to the bottom of the sea in 1 or 2 salvos, before getting a chance to approach so much. So MAN THE FORK UP :)

No actually that's the Problem  we Talk about.  They are not going down. Because the area where you actually doing Citadells got very small on Close Range .Against Low armoured CA. You need a lucky shot to score more than 1 Citadel.When i tested Moskva, in Trainingsroom, a Mogami surviving more Salvos than Iowa on 5 km. :ohmy:

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,870 posts
9,892 battles

This is one of those things that makes about as much sense as citadel penetrations using AP doing more damage than citadel penetrations using HE.