Sign in to follow this  
Eternus_Damnatio

Warspites range

68 comments in this topic

Players
866 posts
8,891 battles

Warspite seriously needs a range buff.

Turrets and ship are very slow meaning when up tiered you suffer horribly and can be kited by cruisers easily.

Let alone close the range to ships like Tirpitz.

Same range as New Mexico or the ability to use the range upgrade module would solve the issue. 

For ship that holds the record for hitting a moving target at range with main guns the range is just way too short.

Edited by Eternus_Damnatio
  • Cool 2

Players
465 posts
6,504 battles

Warspite seriously needs a range buff.

Turrets and ship are very slow meaning when up tiered you suffer horribly and can be kited by cruisers easily.

Let alone close the range to ships like Tirpitz.

Same range as New Mexico or the ability to use the range upgrade module would solve the issue. 

For ship that holds the record for hitting a moving target at range with main guns the range is just way too short.

Agreed was talking to a mate about this I'm constantly getting uptiered and going against Mk's and Hippers which both have further range then add NC's/Amagi/Tirpitz which are all so much faster makes for very frustrating gameplay.
  • Cool 1

Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

The Warspite's selling point (pun intended) is her toughness. That ship is nearly impenetrable when angled sufficiently. She's a harder nut to crack than the New Mexico. She also turns on a dime which adds in her amazing brawling capabilities and survivability.

If she also had more range, she'd quite probably be too good for her tier.

Beta Tester
4,594 posts
20,080 battles

The Warspite's selling point (pun intended) is her toughness. That ship is nearly impenetrable when angled sufficiently. She's a harder nut to crack than the New Mexico. She also turns on a dime which adds in her amazing brawling capabilities and survivability.

it is the worst performing BBat tier 6
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,287 posts
11,047 battles

I think its just unfortunate that NM and Fuso are at T6... But yeah, something could be done about the Warspite imo, at least the turret rotation buff or a longer repair/less chance to get set on fire. The repair lasts for measly 5 seconds and you get set on fire so easily with the next shell. It is just frustrating to play.

Players
2,832 posts
21,712 battles

sry i own both and thats untrue!

the only reason the warspite is tough is it can repair citadel dmg.

other than that it is just like the tirpitz it takes a lot regular pens from ap.

a new mex when angled deflects a lot more dmg 

• Cool 5

Players
465 posts
6,504 battles

sorry but NO even when angled you can still take massive damage NM and Fuso bounce more shots than warspite can.

Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Warshipstats.com suggests otherwise. There it's snugly together with New Mexico and Fusou in terms of winrate and damage, plus it edges out both on average XP earned (though I don't know if that number is skewed by premium)

sry i own both and thats untrue!

the only reason the warspite is tough is it can repair citadel dmg.

other than that it is just like the tirpitz it takes a lot regular pens from ap.

a new mex when angled deflects a lot more dmg 

Warspite armour is ridiculously tough and according to the informations I found nearly consistently superiour to the New Mexico.

sorry but NO even when angled you can still take massive damage NM and Fuso bounce more shots than warspite can.

I fail to see how a Fusou can bounce more shots than a Warspite. Fusou and New Mexico might take more overpenetrations if people insist on shooting a poorly angled bow or aft section where their armour is thin, but in reverse a well angled Warspite should bounce a majority of shots shot even at its weakest armour sections, with even 406mm BB caliber AP shells being incapable of penetrating its thickest armour around the waterline and barbettes unless the Warspite sits broadside on.

I can say from my own experience that every Warpite I've met that actually bothered to angle against my shots was immune to anything except plunging fire or shots into its superstructure, whilst I do still regularily penetrate a Fusou even when angled and can get normal penetrations against a New Mexico's bow/aft unless its angled to overmatch/auto-bounce degrees.

Sadly I don't have a Warspite myself so I can't speak from personal experience being on the recieving end, but I do know a couple players who do and the are universally praising the Warspite's armour.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,287 posts
11,047 battles

I fail to see how a Fusou can bounce more shots than a Warspite. Fusou and New Mexico might take more overpenetrations if people insist on shooting a poorly angled bow or aft section where their armour is thin, but in reverse a well angled Warspite should bounce a majority of shots shot even at its weakest armour sections, with even 406mm BB caliber AP shells being incapable of penetrating its thickest armour around the waterline and barbettes unless the Warspite sits broadside on.

I received and did up to 20k salvos to angled Warpites. The armor might be good vs some T6s, but anything above rips it. On top of that you get set on fire as soon as someone looks at you. (doesn't happen always tho)

Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

I received and did up to 20k salvos to angled Warpites. The armor might be good vs some T6s, but anything above rips it. On top of that you get set on fire as soon as someone looks at you. (doesn't happen always tho)

That holds true to any other t6 BB though. Higher tier BBs with their 406mm shells can get regular penetrations against a New Mexico just the same and if the distance is short enough, even the 356mm t6 BB shells can hurt a lot. Balancing concerns however should focus primarily on the ship's own tier and not focus on the maximum tier ships it could face, in which case one might argue the Fusou needs more AA because what it has is not even worth considering an obstacle to Lexington or Shokaku CVs.

And among the t6 BBs, I think the Warspite is balanced fine. It doesn't help that t6 is arguable one of the best tiers for BBs in general and as such balancing them whilst maintaining some form of unique feel to each is hard enough.

Edited by Aotearas

Players
2,832 posts
21,712 battles

Warspite armour is ridiculously tough and according to the informations I found nearly consistently superiour to the New Mexico.

Sadly I don't have a Warspite myself so I can't speak from personal experience being on the recieving end, but I do know a couple players who do and the are universally praising the Warspite's armour.

i have both (i keept the new mex, and the fuso <3) and i like the warspites guns they are so accurate.

the thing is you have to play arround the horrible turret traverse of the warspite by manuvering.

you cant be perfectly angled whole time (not talking about showing broadside!)

and when youre angled medicore i found the new mex to be tougher.

to play out the verry good repair ability of the warspite you need time,

but when you take a lot dmg doue to other bbs consitently pening you for regular pens you die faster than you can chain your repairs rendering the improved repair somewhat useless.

the thing is the warspite is not bad, but compared to its t6 competition it might deserve a slight buff, either range or maybe a bit faster traverse.

Players
8,241 posts

The Warspite is fine. I didn't buy it until after I had a lot of BB experience. Upgrading it's secondaries helps you survive it's slow turrets, as does forward planning. 

Use the spotter plane for range issues. 

Must admit the current situation with so many Tirptizs sold means you get sucked into higher tier games which it can't handle. 16" guns really hurt it. 

Still a great ship when it all comes together.

[NEBD]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
19 posts
11,739 battles

Leave Warspite as she is,  When you  know how to handle her and get the best out of her she is a force to be reckoned with.  The shell dispersion is great and  the guns have a decent velocity making it quite easy for me to land 6 out of 8  shells on target, her AA is sufficient as is her secondaries, and her turn  rate is   simply excellent.   Armour is also good  but made  far better by  her ability to dodge incoming rounds.      Spend time learning how to fight with warspite and she will  not let you down. I routinely  take out nagato--fuso-new mexico and colorados with her.  yes her range is  a bit weak, but her stealth is  good so she can usually sneak up into range without a  problem.

Seriously,, best premium ship in game imho.

Players
866 posts
8,891 battles

Leave Warspite as she is,  When you  know how to handle her and get the best out of her she is a force to be reckoned with.  The shell dispersion is great and  the guns have a decent velocity making it quite easy for me to land 6 out of 8  shells on target, her AA is sufficient as is her secondaries, and her turn  rate is   simply excellent.   Armour is also good  but made  far better by  her ability to dodge incoming rounds.      Spend time learning how to fight with warspite and she will  not let you down. I routinely  take out nagato--fuso-new mexico and colorados with her.  yes her range is  a bit weak, but her stealth is  good so she can usually sneak up into range without a  problem.

Seriously,, best premium ship in game imho.

When I know how to handle her don't make me laugh pal I perform well above average in all ship classes.

Warspite takes massive damage all the time regardless of angle.

And for a ship that is supposedly a brawler in game she has no chance of catching most ships let alone when up tiered.

Top that off with the ridiculously slow turrets and brawling is actually horrid as you say on the plus side she does turn well.

Shell arc seems to put it behind other bb's in terms of time to target I have to aim off more than with Fuso or New Mex.

Is she a bad ship no never said she was but she seriously needs some added range as her speed and range make it way too easy for you to be kited.

And to add as I said not asking for it to be some 20km range sniper just an extra 1km would be about right.

Edited by Eternus_Damnatio

Beta Tester
868 posts
5,081 battles

Am I the only one who thinks that Warspite is ok and that it doesn't need either buffs or nerfs?

I still like it. Captain's skills improve it a lot. You just have to adapt to it's playstyle. You just can't play it as other 2 T6 BB's.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
405 posts

I dont play mine anymore,only got her because she is RN. I more worried what WG will do with the rest of RN

[HORN]
Players
374 posts

Slow,slow turrets,a fire hazard and the range should have the same options as the York and Mexico.Rarely use mine as it's frustrating.A brawler she isn't either,any cruiser can dance around with you and set you on fire at will(Omaha and Cleves especially).She needs a bit of work alright.As has been said,quite often you'll find yourself in T8 battles and quite often you''ll find yourself sleeping with the fishes.Great cash earner but frustrating to play.I'd rather play my Marblehead more than this,i last longer in battles.

[AAO]
Players
232 posts
13,293 battles

They don't need to buff it's range, they need to unfuck whatever fuckery they did to the armor of the Warspite.

It's bugged and has been for some time, everything penetrates it, even at the most extreme angles, it is nothing like it used to be.

Armor no workie = can't operate in close quarters = bad for business.

Edited by Domin1c
  • Cool 3

[CAIN]
Players
5,198 posts
24,777 battles

The grand old lady is still one of the best Premium ships in that Tier range, when played to her strengths.

Sailing alone is a death sentence though, when the enemy is keeping the range.

Granted, the armour is sucky, but you can repair more damage then on other BBs and the range of her guns is a disadvantage, but on most maps it's not that much of an issue.

The last few games however were a pain, as the map she seems to get is Ocean, and there it's very difficult to get into action due to her speed, and when you get close, you'll get focused.

Another drawback is - and for me it's the most annoying one - she burns like she's sprinkled with gasoline.

Getting focused by two higher Tier cruisers will eat eat your HP bar like a starving man a Snickers bar.

That being said, her accuracy, her maneuverability and her decent secondaries make her a good mid-range (8-10km) brawler and a Cruiser killer.

Just make sure, you don't sail alone.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,049 posts
2,356 battles

I actually love my Warspite more than any other BB I have or have played.

I personally think it's fine, but anything can be improved.

Players
2,928 posts
6,315 battles

I don't have her but unless the wiki is lying her range is 16.3km, yes? I play the Fuso and while it is nice to take pot-shots at people at 20km, most of my damage comes when I close to <16km anyway. Also Fuso has no hope to 1v1 a Warspite that knows what he's doing.

• Cool 1

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,330 posts
13,776 battles

You Forget that one of Warspite strong point is its T7 secondary range artylery. If you play her at max range sniping your playing her wrong anyway. 

Beta Tester
4,249 posts
848 battles

Just a correction.

The consensus amongst most naval historians is that the Warspite is one of the ships holding such a record; the consensus is that she's right there alongside Scharnhorst.

Players
866 posts
8,891 battles

Just a correction.

The consensus amongst most naval historians is that the Warspite is one of the ships holding such a record; the consensus is that she's right there alongside Scharnhorst.

Ah ok thanks bud my point still stands though and in game to be competitive she needs that little bit more range.

I rarely use her because of her shortcomings New Mex may be slow with slow turrets but her armour works and she has enough range.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this