Sign in to follow this  
JagerVolf

Help with Captain's skills on North Carolina and Tirpitz

12 comments in this topic

[_STAR]
Players
10 posts
5,371 battles

First of all, sorry if there is already a similar topic but I didn't find nothing similar in the last few months.
If there is, a link to the topic is more than welcome.

I play mostly USN battleship and I actualy play on the Colorado, planning to stop at the North Carolina since for now the Montana doesn't appeal me that much.
Anyway, I have some doubts about the skill I should choose for the captain.
The first setup is the one I'm thinking to follow, the second one a more oriented to the AA I think, but i'm unsure if the manual AA skill is really "worth it" on the NC, and if justify the removal of "Situation Awareness" and "Superintendent".

The upgrades on the ship would be:

• Main Battery Modification 1
  • AA Guns Modification 2
  • Damage Control System Modification 1
  • Steering Gears Modification 2
  • Target Acquisition System Modification 1

rcjcGKF.png

Qkn3CAr.png

The other doubt is about the Tirpitz, since I'll find myself often brawling with it I wonder if it's worth to take the Manual Fire Control for the secondary guns since the -60% of dispersion is very tempting. But with this setup I'll find myself with 1 point that i don't really know how to invest and without some nice skills at Tier 3. Maybe I can give up two Tier 1 skills to get enough points to take "High Alert" or "Superintendent".
Since I intend to play it in close quarters, the upgrades would be the same as the NC but with "Seconday Battery Modification 2" instead of "
AA Guns Modification 2".

8R4VlSA.png

The alternative would be a scheme as the first I post here for the NC.

I know there is a "low concealment" build but honestly I don't think It will fit my playstyle since i often tend to stick with the cruisers to divert the fire from them and hopefully receive and give some support against the priority targets.

Thanks in advance and forgive me for grammar mistakes, sadly I'm not very skilled in the English language.

Players
12,975 posts
13,551 battles

Skill wise for NC, I went for torpedo detection/survivability/AA.

Basics of Survivability

Expert Marksman

Vigilance + Supernintendo

Adv. Firing Training

once I get 17 points I'll add manual AA control, or High Alert + BFT, not sure here. NC with AFT + AA range upgrade is already close to no fly zone, with manual AA skill games without CV could be kinda waste of skill.

For upgrades, your looks pretty much good to go, although I've changed Main Battery mod.1 for AA increased durability - damage for turrets is quite rare, and if they get AP penned from the side, they tend to get knocked out regardless of upgrade or not.

• Cool 1

[-KKC-]
Players
12 posts
4,962 battles

On the Tirpitz, I've been taking her out after the recent sale and I'm having a blast!
In fact, I'm having so much fun that I've not gotten around to allocate any Commander Skills actually - the guy has 10 points to spend and I don't feel like I "need" any of them :hmm:

However, since I will eventually be spending those points, here's my train of thought on where:

lvl-1: Basic Firing Training, Basics of Survivability, Situation Awareness
I think all three are a valid choice, the tricky part is which to pick first if you want to beeline to lvl4/5 first and then fill out the left-over points.
I will probably go with SA, as knowing when you're spotted by a pesky DD is important.

lvl-2: Expert Marksman, Fire Prevention, Incoming Fire Alert
FP is probably the weakest choice here, if I understand how the -7% of fire chance is applied correctly. EM is always a solid choice, however, since I am happy with Tirpitz's (relatively) fast turret traverse, IFA could take me out from the tunnel vision I am prone to. Not sure here yet.

lvl-3: High Alert, Vigilance, Superintendent
Tirpitz is a money maker and as such I am using premium consumables on her - making SI overkill with 5 charges of everything. Vigilance can help evading that wall of torpedoes, but cannot replace good overall situational awareness. HA would in this case mean 8 less seconds of damage-over-time, so that can make a difference when you're taking lots of damage from effects. I will probably go with Vigilance.

lvl-4: Advanced Firing Training
Best choice on this level if you ask me. You almost never shoot HE, the additional 3.200 HP don't make much of a difference and the manual AA is only good for your 105mm guns all the while being clumsy to apply.  

lvl-5: I'm not there yet :trollface:

Players
12,975 posts
13,551 battles

On the Tirpitz, I've been taking her out after the recent sale and I'm having a blast!

In fact, I'm having so much fun that I've not gotten around to allocate any Commander Skills actually - the guy has 10 points to spend and I don't feel like I "need" any of them :hmm:

However, since I will eventually be spending those points, here's my train of thought on where:

lvl-1: Basic Firing Training, Basics of Survivability, Situation Awareness

I think all three are a valid choice, the tricky part is which to pick first if you want to beeline to lvl4/5 first and then fill out the left-over points.

I will probably go with SA, as knowing when you're spotted by a pesky DD is important.

lvl-2: Expert Marksman, Fire Prevention, Incoming Fire Alert

FP is probably the weakest choice here, if I understand how the -7% of fire chance is applied correctly. EM is always a solid choice, however, since I am happy with Tirpitz's (relatively) fast turret traverse, IFA could take me out from the tunnel vision I am prone to. Not sure here yet.

lvl-3: High Alert, Vigilance, Superintendent

Tirpitz is a money maker and as such I am using premium consumables on her - making SI overkill with 5 charges of everything. Vigilance can help evading that wall of torpedoes, but cannot replace good overall situational awareness. HA would in this case mean 8 less seconds of damage-over-time, so that can make a difference when you're taking lots of damage from effects. I will probably go with Vigilance.

lvl-4: Advanced Firing Training

Best choice on this level if you ask me. You almost never shoot HE, the additional 3.200 HP don't make much of a difference and the manual AA is only good for your 105mm guns all the while being clumsy to apply.  

lvl-5: I'm not there yet :trollface:

You can't go wrong with 5 repair parties. Combined with flag for extra hp recovery, you should be able to print dreadnoughts and fireproofs every second/third battle.
  • Cool 1

[T-M-F]
Players
10 posts

I just got the NC BB....I think its a joke...when you get sunk... your repair bill is 112.000 dollars plus ammo bill on average of 33.000 dollars.. ( And that is a hell of a lot more than what you can usually earn in credits in one action ) I find it just costs too much in credits.. My Captain is at Commodore level seems to make no difference.. The guns do not seem as accurate as my old Colorado on long range shots ( yes I got commodore at expert marksman rating.) .As any captain here got any good advice for me because I am just losing credits left right and centre..... Is this ship designed to make you pay more in real cash ? I've got to admit I'm ready for calling it a day...I would sooner pay a one off fee of say 40 pounds for this game, than what's going to look like 5 pounds a week every week and that is just not on.

Edited by Stingz

Players
12,975 posts
13,551 battles

I just got the NC BB....I think its a joke...when you get sunk... your repair bill is 112.000 dollars plus ammo bill on average of 33.000 dollars.. ( And that is a hell of a lot more than what you can usually earn in credits in one action ) I find it just costs too much in credits.. My Captain is at Commodore level seems to make no difference.. The guns do not seem as accurate as my old Colorado on long range shots ( yes I got commodore at expert marksman rating.) .As any captain here got any good advice for me because I am just losing credits left right and centre..... Is this ship designed to make you pay more in real cash ? I've got to admit I'm ready for calling it a day...I would sooner pay a one off fee of say 40 pounds for this game, than what's going to look like 5 pounds a week every week and that is just not on.

Expensive repairs are totally working as intended, the same concept appeared first in WoT and is copied across most titles IIRC, with WoWs further tightening grind screw. Simply to force people to play tier 4-6 to grind credits. If you don't like that, splash the cash. Only way to reduce repair costs is signal flag earned from "its just a scratch" medal.

PS. Iowa costs around 166k to repair, tier 10 is around 250k.

[T-M-F]
Players
10 posts

Thank you for the feedback  Panocek  it is appreciated.. However what really is unfair in my opinion is this...Yesterday I played only one game as NC BB... I scored only two hits on an enemy BB received NO DAMAGE and took NO HITS all game. We won the battle.. Yo...... Guess what ? Yep I had a repair bill , for what ? FFS there was nothing to repair.. The repair bill was more than what I earned... If you receive no damage there should be no repair bill ! end of ! Hey I wont bother with the Iowa.------- Its a cash drain..

Players
12,975 posts
13,551 battles

Thank you for the feedback  Panocek  it is appreciated.. However what really is unfair in my opinion is this...Yesterday I played only one game as NC BB... I scored only two hits on an enemy BB received NO DAMAGE and took NO HITS all game. We won the battle.. Yo...... Guess what ? Yep I had a repair bill , for what ? FFS there was nothing to repair.. The repair bill was more than what I earned... If you receive no damage there should be no repair bill ! end of ! Hey I wont bother with the Iowa.------- Its a cash drain..

with WoWs further tightening grind screw

Here you go. I guess WG would call that "fuel resupply" or something like that.

IIRC in WoT you pay for repairs when you have only ricochets/no penetration hits too, although not as much.

Players
1,015 posts
4,182 battles

Don't have Torpitz, but I do have 'Cally and am loving her every time I take her out of port. For a long time now I've used rudder shift on BBs as a mandatory for torpedo avoiding. Having been burned a lot, I have not ditched it in favor of the anti-burn build. A combination of Basics of Survivability and Damage Control Modification II cuts fire duration to just about 40s. This works wonders vs. cruisers that try to set you on fire constantly, let alone those stealth firing DDs and allows for much more tanking than you would normally be able to do. It goes that far that I rarely use Damage Control Party unless I have 2 fires burning on me. I like to tank for my team and push on one flank since NC is built for that kind of gameplay.

All this being said, here is my NC captain build:

1. BFT & BoS
  2. EM
  3. Vigilance (coupled with Acquisition module for 50% total boost in range of spotting torpedoes)
  4. AFT

3k short to 13 points with her captain, I am now contemplating with either High Alert for a shorter cool down (72s with premium consumable vs. 80s without it). Or Suprenintendo for added heal (again, I use premium consumable so already I have 4 of them with a shorter cool down).

Players
8,241 posts

NC is a steep learning curve. It's guns are more like mortars and need adjustment. Not hugely instinctive. Epic once the plunging fire works tho.

Also the Tirptiz essentially prints credits. I own one partly because it keeps me in higher tier games. Even if you derp you probably won't lose credits on repair and you'll steadily gain credits regardless with her. Letting you play other stuff too!

Players
223 posts
4,845 battles

this is the setup i use for every BB -

NS%20skill%20setup_zpsasviw9lk.jpg

plus modules (i've got this setup on

, but this setup follows on Iowa as well, where i added the faster reload/slower turret turning module) -

NC%20modules_zpsarc0j4rv.jpg

to explain this a bit -

Concealment and Acquisition (1 point) - a must-have for any ship, especially a BB. you can't see them, but DDs can see you from far far away. so the only thing that can tell you "beware! DDs lurking in the shadows!!!" is that little icon. if it pops up it's time to alter your speed and course. if you don't want to eat some torps, that is..

Ship Survivability (1 point) - this can save you a lot of HPs. a cruiser sees you, fires at you, you burn. you use the Repair Party consumable, and after a while you burn again. then add some flooding, because you're being targeted by CVs all the time, and your game will make a nasty turn for worse. -15% of the time you burn and flood is a significant amount of HPs you keep..

Secondary Armament (1 point) - again, you are a priority target for CVs, so every plane you shoot down is one less torpedo/bomb sailing/flying your way..

Expert Marksman (2 points) - no matter how" fast" your turrets turn, they still turn way too slow. a lot of times you need to switch targets from left to right, and the faster you can turn your guns the more hits you'll score. simple as that..

Vigilance (3 points) - the first 3-point skill you need to take. why? well, because your BB doesn't turn on a dime, and spotting torps heading your way early means having more time to react, and eating less of them..

High Alert (3 points) - second 3-point skill to take. the faster your Repair Party consumable reloads the less HPs you lose from fire and flooding. even with the Ship Survivability skill and Damage Control System Modification 2 you have to be able to save as many of your HPs as possible. better than Superintendent skill, because the Healing Ability takes a lot of time to reload, and sometimes you can't make use of all the charges. for example when you get into a crossfire of enemy BBs supported by CAs. you're dead way before the Healing Ability reloads. if you somehow manage to escape/hide you burn in several places, and what you need then is to be able to get rid of the fire(s) first. to sum it up -  (IMO) you need way faster Repair Party consumable than more Healing charges..

Advanced Firing Training (4 points) - self explanatory. the further your AA guns can deal damage to enemy planes the better..

Superintendent (3 points) - additional bonus to your HP pool..

IMO there is no 5-point skill worth taking. some may argue that Jack of All Trades or Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament are important, but i don't see them any better than those skills i've mentioned above. you'd trade a set of extremely useful skills for some disputable improvement to your secondary guns (because apart from the Yamato with it's long range secondaries there isn't a ship that would benefit from the improved secondary guns range/lower dispersion that much), and although Jack of All Trades looks nice it takes 5 points that could be spent better. again, IMO..

That's 18 skill points. AFAIK we have 19 points to distribute, so that leaves 1 point. well, Expert Loader comes handy when you spot a DD. AP shells overpen DDs all the time, but HE will utterly demolish it. so switching between the shell types is somewhat useful. not more, than all the other 1-point skills, but as the last skill to take. and, of course, it will take ages to get it..

as for the modules, here are my choices. again, i use these on all of my BBS..

Main Battery Modification 1 - i believe there's no need to explain why..

AA Guns Modification 2 (US BBs), or Gun Fire Control System Modification 1 (every other BB) - GFCSM1 means better accuracy, and BBs tend to shoot over long distances. better accuracy=more hits. US BBs don't have this module (until Tier 9, if i'm not mistaken), so the only useful module is the AAGM2..

Damage Control System Modification 1 - you don't get your engine or rudder damaged that often, you burn and flood a lot more, so the only useful module is DCSM1..

Damage Control System Modification 2 - i've chosen this module instead of Steering Gears Modification 2 (faster rudder shift time) because the Vigilance skill gives you more time to react, as you spot torps further away from you. this module has basically the same effect as the Ship Survivability skill (apart from the repair time), so 15%+15%=30% less time of burning and flooding. saves a lot of HPs..

Target Acquisition System Modification 1 - another 20% of acquisition range of torps (among other useful stuff). combined with the Vigilance skill you have plenty of time to avoid almost any torps heading your way (provided you pay attention to what's happening around you, unlike me). well, the Shimakaze wall of torps can be pretty nasty, of course, but that we have to live with..

the faster reload/slower turret turning module (no idea what it's called- the faster you shoot the more hits you score, and the slower turret turning is offset by the Expert Marksman skill..

so, this is my take on skills and modules. all of it has to be taken with a grain of salt, of course, as all this is my opinion. not everyone has to agree with me..

Beta Tester
176 posts
8,545 battles

In Tirpitz I run full sec, (AFT, and manual sec), this give me until 7km range spraying burning death for everybody, and then torps them... Because I brawl...:izmena: (making cit's with main guns is the another side of the coin, you will be near the enemy), of course if you fail, can go to the bottom without damage, but risk are for videogames, not for real life :trollface:

In NC, full AA (both 4 skills, AFT and the new one to focus AA fire), I realy hate that ship.... Because I can't brawl...:teethhappy:, but is a special AA platform, there arent too much carriers for now, but I`m waiting the Saipan to enjoy again with this configuration (was the same in my Colorado).

And always for both of them, the Target Adquisition Module, if you can stack with Vigilance, better else.

Of course is only my opinion and is blurred by my game style, but I have a lot of games on Tirpitz, and much more less on NC.

Sign in to follow this