Sign in to follow this  
dude1416

Is the game worth spending money on

26 comments in this topic

Players
356 posts

Hello to all new and old commanders:honoring:

Is wows worth spending your money on as the topic title says

I for one am not sure if it is anymore and my reasons for this is simple and a valid point.

You pay to  buy doubloons, a premium ship or to get a account for days or maybe for a full year.

You spend all this time and money on getting the ship or ships in the tech tree you want.

Then WG decide the ship needs at some point that its to powerfull in some way to have it changed because of balancing..

If you new before hand that the ship you was playing and maybe paying for to get is going to be changed at some point would you of spent money and time on getting that ship.

You will have a lot saying there reasons why you should  and may have valid reasons but they would if they already have invested there time and a lot of money into the game.

As I have spent money and time.

In my opinion i think that WG should get it right the first time when they bring new ships into the game and don't change them since you may have paid to get to that ship.

I could of made this as a poll of yes and no ,but then most may not give there reasons why they ticked yes or no.

I paid for a premium tier IV ship for XP and credits to train my captain and also paid for doubloons.

But with the premium ship you have to spend more if want to convert the XP to use it.

At the same time of getting the premium ship I had elited the tier V New York.

On the New York since elited I have made a lot of XP and credits nearly the same as the tier IV premium ,so did I really need to buy the premium ship.

But with the elited ship I still need to buy doubloons to convert its XP so can use it on another ship.

If you decide to sell your ship to get the next one up the tree and got upgrades on it ,you have to pay to dismount them to put them on the next ship if want to keep upgrades or bin them and also if you want to move the captain with all his skills and put him into the next ship you have to pay or be penalised .

You can play this game for free ,but it will take you a lot longer to get that ship you may want and if WG at some point decide to change it but at least you hadn't spent money on getting it.

The game as a whole is fun to play but can be pricey if decide to pay to play and get disappointed if WG decide a change.

Some may say that I am only putting this topic up because of my topic about the new RU Cruisers that are introduced and I have the Cleveland but its been changed from the way It use to be like.

Yes I did spend money to get to the Cleveland only to be in my point of view disappointed which in fair ness was my own fault for only watching the videos of how it was before its downgrades.

I was already thinking is it worth me spending more money for the past few months before I opened that topic and with chatting with other commanders helped me to decide to open this topic.

What if I decided now to go up the RU tree to get the Budyoony tier VI cruiser and spent more money again to get doubloons to convert my XP ,move my captain and pay to keep the skills and pay to move upgrades from one ship to another only to find its been changed by the time I get it or it gets changed by WG while I have it because they didn't get it right when it first was introduced to wows and I am unable to complain about this.

If WG put more effort into getting the ships right and balanced introduce them then they wouldn't be using there time in changing things and that would in turn give them more time in getting other countries ships into the game ,which in turn may encourage others to join if they see there counties ships in wows.

In your replies and comment be polite commanders with others and towards me with your reasons why should or shouldn't spend money please.

If the facts I have said in my topic are incorrect in any way then please correct them with your replies .

Thank you for reading this topic of mine and welcome any positive views on this and maybe you can change my opinion from what it is now and any other commanders minds that maybe thinking the same way ,as I am really finding it hard at the moment to find any reason to spend more money.

Be nice because it is just a game  :honoring:

• Cool 1

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
923 posts
4,848 battles

You pay to  buy doubloons, a premium ship or to get a account for days or maybe for a full year.

You spend all this time and money on getting the ship or ships in the tech tree you want.

Then WG decide the ship needs at some point that its to powerfull in some way to have it changed because of balancing..

If you new before hand that the ship you was playing and maybe paying for to get is going to be changed at some point would you of spent money and time on getting that ship.

You will have a lot saying there reasons why you should  and may have valid reasons but they would if they already have invested there time and a lot of money into the game.

As I have spent money and time.

In my opinion i think that WG should get it right the first time when they bring new ships into the game and don't change them since you may have paid to get to that ship.

It's kinda hard to get ships right the first time, since the game meta changes regularly. Back in CBT, Battleships were relatively useless. They then did some work on their mechanics and individual ships, and now they are the monsters we now know. Of course, this put them too high up, so they nerfed their rudders to bring them back down slightly. At current, I think Battleships are actually quite well balanced, but since there are only 2 lines and a couple of premiums, the balancing process is a bit easier.

Premium ships are actually hardly changed. WG know this, since real money is actually involved at this point. The only notable premium ship that I regret paying money for was the very first ship I ever got; Yubari. This thing is just an under-performer for the most part, but since it's a CBT ship, only experienced captains take this thing out, so it's stats sit quite favourable compared to her peers. Once this ship comes back into the shop (It's exclusivity is almost up at this point) I can see it getting a little love, because I can't imagine anyone would want to buy this, unless they are absolutely desperate for an IJN cruiser trainer.

I paid for a premium tier IV ship for XP and credits to train my captain and also paid for doubloons.

But with the premium ship you have to spend more if want to convert the XP to use it.

At the same time of getting the premium ship I had elited the tier V New York.

On the New York since elited I have made a lot of XP and credits nearly the same as the tier IV premium ,so did I really need to buy the premium ship.

But with the elited ship I still need to buy doubloons to convert its XP so can use it on another ship.

If you decide to sell your ship to get the next one up the tree and got upgrades on it ,you have to pay to dismount them to put them on the next ship if want to keep upgrades or bin them and also if you want to move the captain with all his skills and put him into the next ship you have to pay or be penalised .

XP conversion from premiums has always been a gold/doubloon conversion, has been in WoT for years. It works, it brings WG income and offers players a quick way to advance through the game (I could free XP an entire line from tier 1 to 10 if I wanted to fork out the money to pay for my free XP). Tier 4 premiums are quirky ships for fun and training, not credit income. The real credit earners are the tier 8's, closely followed by tier 7 and 6's. Because of the way the current game economy is, tier 4 and 5 (could argue tier 6 too) regular ships earn credits anyway from decent games, as an alternative to free-to-play users who don't want to buy a premium ship.

At the end of the day, this isn't a free-to-play game, it's a freemium; All base content can be earned by simply playing the game, but to get there in good time, you need the premium benefits. It's a decent business model, and it seems to working.

View Postdude1416, on 29 March 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

If WG put more effort into getting the ships right and balanced introduce them then they wouldn't be using there time in changing things and that would in turn give them more time in getting other countries ships into the game ,which in turn may encourage others to join if they see there counties ships in wows.

Well, it's kinda hard to anticipate how a ship is gonna perform right from the off. There's not an infinite sample size of stats to pull from, and only so much time can be spent with Supertesters putting the ships through their paces before going live. For the most part, I think they've done a good job. Most of the lines are well balanced, it's just the higher tiers that really need attention (That's where the new Radar for US and USSR cruisers comes in, whether or not it is the solution, we shall see). I can't think of any ship that's 'bad' so to speak, every ship has their advantages and disadvantages which influence their play. Some commanders can exploit it better than others, and that's where the skill factor starts to come in.

Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles

Hey, intersting subject! +1 just for that. (-;

My POV: I am extremely particular with games. 99,9% of them don't enchant me whatsoever. I was hooked in Wow's nearly immediately. I see the tremendous effort and love they put in this game. The grafics, sounds (yeah some excepted for that matter) music, controls and sense of reality (don't start the discussion on RNG now) is overwhelming. In the beginning I did not spend anything (try out phase a.s.o.) and it's quite doable actually. It's not mandatory to pay for capt retraining: a couple of battles and he's used to the new ship. One point on that: I do think it's unfair to have to retrain a captain when putting him back on a ship he's already have been trained on in the first place for that matter. Later I did buy doublons, prem time, flags and prem ships. Beyond tier 8 in my case it's not possible to gain game profit anymore whithout a prem acc. (still don't see iChase reflected in my mirror...) I am fortunate to be able to spend some money ( I work hard for it for that matter). Bottom line for me is: it makes game live a lot more easy and I like to reward people who make a good product. And I am silly enough to highly enjoy just watching the ships in port: in the start my heart broke when I had to sell a ship for a next lvl ship. So I started collecting them...

Players
356 posts

So how long do the WG devs need to get it right.

I joined WG back 3yrs ago and were in the proses of wows.

So they didn't learn anything when producing wop then wot to get it right with wows.

When I am talking about premium ships is just pointing out that you can just elit a ship and get XP and credits from that and not pay for a premium ship.

My premium ship has 127.185XP

My New York has 90,586XP.

That's with out other elited ships.

So as I said that if I decide to go for the new tier VI RU ship because what I read on forum ,wiki ,videos or any other sites just to find it changed or maybe going to be changed then why pay.

You need to look at it like this.

You pay down payments to buy that thing and when you get it you only half of what you saw and read would you still of paid for it or if they said to you at a later date "hay we made a mistake" so your not getting what you spent money on.

So who gets them to change things with the ships is what I would like to know.

Who is doing enough complaining to get the ships changed.

I know that "I" don't have any influence but some maybe seen to have.

Players
356 posts

Hey, intersting subject! +1 just for that. (-;

My POV: I am extremely particular with games. 99,9% of them don't enchant me whatsoever. I was hooked in Wow's nearly immediately. I see the tremendous effort and love they put in this game. The grafics, sounds (yeah some excepted for that matter) music, controls and sense of reality (don't start the discussion on RNG now) is overwhelming. In the beginning I did not spend anything (try out phase a.s.o.) and it's quite doable actually. It's not mandatory to pay for capt retraining: a couple of battles and he's used to the new ship. One point on that: I do think it's unfair to have to retrain a captain when putting him back on a ship he's already have been trained on in the first place for that matter. Later I did buy doublons, prem time, flags and prem ships. Beyond tier 8 in my case it's not possible to gain game profit anymore whithout a prem acc. (still don't see iChase reflected in my mirror...) I am fortunate to be able to spend some money ( I work hard for it for that matter). Bottom line for me is: it makes game live a lot more easy and I like to reward people who make a good product. And I am silly enough to highly enjoy just watching the ships in port: in the start my heart broke when I had to sell a ship for a next lvl ship. So I started collecting them...

I know what you mean about keeping some you really enjoy.

I do take your point about the work they have done to get the game looking the way it is.

But it still gets me when they change what you have spent money on to get.

Like said that they know whats working or wont work before they take it to market.

I really enjoy playing wows myself and like said I have been thinking a good few months about this.

Surely WG know if a ship will work before introducing it.

Say I sold something and person didn't have the cash and I said "that's ok pay me a bit at a time and when I have full payment I give the goods over".

If I decided to take something away from what they thought was paying for then I would deserve a smack and to give money back.

The same if went back to them and said "hay I made a mistake"  I need to change something.

So it can make you wonder who makes WG make these changes.

Like the saying goes "why fix it if it aint broken".

Beta Tester
122 posts

Since this is a free 2 play game everyone has to decide for himself how he or she wants to experience the game. 

Changing ships is not happening very frequently with premium ships - so you are getting what you pay for in most cases.

Regular ships is always a bet, since new regular ships get introduced over time, which might suit your skills as a player even better. Since WoWs is constantly developing and bringing more and more things into the game (Radar as an example) you cannot be sure that one specific ship will be the best (or your favorite) ship forever. 

High Tier economy is pretty brutal, yes - But it is endgame content, so you have to be really really good to make that work without payed advantages. Luckily one can always use lower tiers to farm credits.

All that experience on elite ships is just a bait to use money to convert that, however I do not have to and I will not use money for that - I do get the idea from the sales department there.

How do I decide if I'm spending money ?

Since wargaming is giving me additional content (maps, nations, lines, gamemodes...) and enhancing my game experience I'm very happily donating some money for even more content, as long as that content is somewhat good. And if I do not want to buy something at a specific point, I'm still getting new content - sounds fair. 

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
923 posts
4,848 battles

So how long do the WG devs need to get it right.

I joined WG back 3yrs ago and were in the proses of wows.

So they didn't learn anything when producing wop then wot to get it right with wows.

That's not true at all. WoWp was a failed product from the start, and never took off (pun intended). It also had a phenomenal rival in the form of War Thunder, which is by no means perfect either, but it's certainly better than WoWp. And this game has no-where near as many complaints as WoT. Everyone hates on arty, prem ammo, MM and such, these problems are much more prominent than the problems with WoWs. The main problems with WoWs are high-tier gameplay and missing features, just because this game is still relatively early in development. This game had such a great start, and is only getting stronger every patch (Even if the player numbers are a little low, it's still a very niche game after all).

Like said that they know whats working or wont work before they take it to market.

Well, that's not entirely true. Stat wise, they can balance things quite well, they look at the historical data and try and mirror it, with small adjustments based on game balance. For th emost part, it is done quite well. The new USSR cruisers have comparable stats for their peers (with the exception of Moskva, but that's a unique ship design with no real comparable peer to speak of). However, you never really get to see how they perform in a live sense until the ship has been created, modelled, coded and then put into a patch.

Say I sold something and person didn't have the cash and I said "that's ok pay me a bit at a time and when I have full payment I give the goods over".

If I decided to take something away from what they thought was paying for then I would deserve a smack and to give money back.

The same if went back to them and said "hay I made a mistake"  I need to change something.

Well, like I said, premium ships are rarely changed for that very reason. Kutuzov is probably the only one really worthy of note, but that was because of the blanket AFT/BFT/EM nerf. Even so, when you buy a premium, you sign the agreement that says they have the right to make balance alterations to the ship should it be required, so there's always the possibility.

So who gets them to change things with the ships is what I would like to know.

Who is doing enough complaining to get the ships changed.

I know that "I" don't have any influence but some maybe seen to have.

Game stats are the main source of data, the numbers can't really lie. The forums are also taken into account. Whilst the staff may not respond to every topic, they will see a general trend come across if something's not right.

They aren't fixing something that's broken, nor are they attempting to. In order to keep the game balanced and not have clear advantages, certain things will change. It's a constant evolution of the game, one that will continue for as long as the servers stay online.

Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles

I know what you mean about keeping some you really enjoy.

I do take your point about the work they have done to get the game looking the way it is.

But it still gets me when they change what you have spent money on to get.

I really enjoy playing wows myself and like said I have been thinking a good few months about this.

Very good point you have there. I've heard they have nerfed the Atlanta prem ship beyond recognition. I have bought it after the so called nerfes. I must honoustly admit I like the ship a lot. It's nothing compared to anything. Granted I used it mainly in the "hit X main battery missions" because of the ridiculous fire rate. Together with the captain range perk (4) which implies on those prim guns IMO it's a beast. Could use a HP buff so I would be combat able still after a hit = cit though. About the other nerfs: they inflicted nearly all ships. F.e. the range and turret turn nerfs on the cruisers. I admit I didn't like it but it goes for (nearly) all ships so the net result is the same for everybody. I would feel ripped off if they'd say, f.e., "well, we think the torps on the Tirpitz is not such a good idea after all. let's take them out." No, it's not the prim survival tool on the Tirp. But it's the wasps' sting on that particular prem ship. If they'd do that I wil never buy a prem ship again.

I.o.w. my xp is that they have not nerfed any prem ship I have owned. Except in the case that affecting ALL ships of the same sort. Which sure I don't like but can understand and since it's affecting all ships the net result is the same.

Players
356 posts

The point I was making to do with buying a premium ship is that you can make as much XP and credit from a regular ship from the tech tree once its elited.

If you like the look of the premium ship buy it ,but to buy it for any other reason I am just saying you don't really need to.

If you want to make credits XP faster the best option is really to pay for a account.

Reason is because all the ships in your yard make more XP ,Credits and Captain Skill Training I beleave by having the account.

The main point I am having trouble with is the regular ships being changed.

I am up to tier III on the RU Cruiser tree and I like the sound of the tier V VI RU Cruiser but I would be very disappointed if I buy some doubloons to use my XP to get to it faster and then for some reason WG decide to change it.

StuntMan0369 what do you mean by

" However, you never really get to see how they perform in a live sense until the ship has been created, modelled, coded and then put into a patch" ?.

I think your saying when we get updates.

[SWEDN]
Alpha Tester
198 posts

It's kinda hard to get ships right the first time, since the game meta changes regularly. Back in CBT, Battleships were relatively useless. They then did some work on their mechanics and individual ships, and now they are the monsters we now know. Of course, this put them too high up, so they nerfed their rudders to bring them back down slightly. At current, I think Battleships are actually quite well balanced, but since there are only 2 lines and a couple of premiums, the balancing process is a bit easier.

If you think that battleships were relatively useless you just did not know how to play them. Had over 2 in KD and over 1800 XP as average back then, about the same in alpha.

Players
75 posts
3,366 battles

if you enjoy the game then yes spend a few pounds on support the game I just play coop cant be asked to play random after wot .

so question is do you enjoy the game then only you can answer that

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
923 posts
4,848 battles

If you think that battleships were relatively useless you just did not know how to play them. Had over 2 in KD and over 1800 XP as average back then, about the same in alpha.

I say relatively, of course they were still a potent threat, but no-where near as good as they are now. I actually fear BB's in my cruisers now, can't say I ever did in CBT.

The point I was making to do with buying a premium ship is that you can make as much XP and credit from a regular ship from the tech tree once its elited.

Well, kind of, but premium ships come with credit bonuses (credits is the real grind of the game, not XP) and camouflage which boosts your XP earned. You can do it either way, but a tier 8 premium is still one of the best options for credit grinding.

StuntMan0369 what do you mean by

" However, you never really get to see how they perform in a live sense until the ship has been created, modelled, coded and then put into a patch" ?.

I think your saying when we get updates.

Well, the Supertesters need something to test right?  You have to give them the ship with all of it's base stats before they can play around with it and figure out how it plays. No real point in just using the test server, you have to get an understanding as to how they play in a live environment. Naturally, certain things will be missed/overlooked once given to the mass market. That's where the stats come in, if the ship's colossally over performing, it will get a nerf. If it straight up sucks, it may get a buff. Until you see how it performs in the hands of regular players, you can only assume what will and wont work.

Players
356 posts

So you have Alpha tester, Beta tester ,Weekend Tester and Super Tester is that correct ?

And there roles are ?.

You can not just say on a newcomers section that a tier 8 is a good credit grinder and leave it at that ,so allow me to finish.

Tier 8 premium ship is a good credit ect grinder "Once" you know the game , so newcomers don't just go and get a premium ship before you know what your doing and what type of playing suits you or you will be in a world of pain.

Players
356 posts

I would say to any new commanders joining to hold back buying anything at the start because you may find you don't even like the game enough.

I would also say about premium ships to hold back on getting one of them till you get to tier IV V.

By that time you will know what sort of ships suit your play style.

Say you buy a DD and find they don't work for you ,you get a BB and to slow because you like to nip around fast.

You may not like using torpedoes because you have to get close to the enemy to use them.

So wait until you know.

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
923 posts
4,848 battles

So you have Alpha tester, Beta tester ,Weekend Tester and Super Tester is that correct ?

And there roles are ?.

Pretty much, yeah. Alpha testers are people who have been playing the game since Alpha (pre-selected to take part after signing up in advance iirc). Beta Testers like me are players who were in the Beta test (I bought into the Beta with one of the ship packages). I don't know about Weekend testers, but Supertesters are players who have signed an NDA with WG and do testing and bug searching for the game before the live servers see any of it. In reality, Alpha and Beta testers are just fancier names for longer term players. Alpha testers got themselves a unique ship in the Iwaka Alpha (Tier 4 cruiser), and Beta testers the Arkansas Beta (Tier 4 BB).

You can not just say on a newcomers section that a tier 8 is a good credit grinder and leave it at that ,so allow me to finish.

Tier 8 premium ship is a good credit ect grinder "Once" you know the game , so newcomers don't just go and get a premium ship before you know what your doing and what type of playing suits you or you will be in a world of pain.

Yes, probably should have put more context into it, I can see how that would be misread.

I would say to any new commanders joining to hold back buying anything at the start because you may find you don't even like the game enough.

I would also say about premium ships to hold back on getting one of them till you get to tier IV V.

By that time you will know what sort of ships suit your play style.

Say you buy a DD and find they don't work for you ,you get a BB and to slow because you like to nip around fast.

You may not like using torpedoes because you have to get close to the enemy to use them.

So wait until you know.

Yeah, solid advice here. Never buy a premium ship higher in tier than you currently play. If you only have tier 6 ships, only buy a tier 6 prem at max. And if you only play cruisers, don't buy a premium BB and so on. Premiums are generally no better than regular tech-tree ships, and if you are up against tier 8 players in regular ships, they've played the game a lot to earn the ship they're in and have experience in the entire line of ships. Long story short, premiums are not an instant win, in fact they can be the exact opposite if you don't know how to play it.

As for my general answer to spending money on this game ( I just realised I never actually gave one) - I follow a basic rule in all my game purchases; I have to at least get 1 hour of enjoyment out of every £1 I spend. For example, 1 month of premium is roughly £8. Will I play the game for 8 hours over the course of that month? I know I will, I'll probably do that easily every week. This rule wont work for everyone of course, but if you have a general idea as to how much you want to get out of your money, it's fairly easy to come to a conclusion about whether spending money on a game is right for you.

Players
356 posts

So the game is still in its testing phase then by what you said

" However, you never really get to see how they perform in a live sense until the ship has been created, modelled, coded and then put into a patch"

Beta Tester
1,057 posts
14,075 battles

There are a few benefits to buying a premium ship, not matter what the tier. You must remember WHY you play this game. It is to have  fun, to enjoy yourself. So before you decide to get a premium ship, YOU must do some thinking. Answer these questions:_

1. Will it help you train a captain of a non premium ship line quicker? ie buying a Russian premium to train your Russian CA/DD captain. Some premium ships like the Polish, British or Chinese have limited options here.

2. Does it suit your style of play?

3. Does it perform well? Some ships like the Atlanta, Mikasa, require a lot of skill and luck, as they are very poor. Others such as the Atago, Gremyashey (no longer sold), the Murmansk are good all rounders.

Wargaming have done some terrible things to some premiums. The Yubari has seen nerf, after nerf, to the point of being almost useless. The Arkansas beta had its turret rotation nerfed. The Mikasa was advertised as being "accurate", The Sims suffered too. Some ships have not really been touched at all, the Gremyashey, the Murmansk. Whilst others have stood still in stats, but the new lines have eclipsed them (power creep).

For me I've spent all I'm going to ever spend on this game. It will have to be a very special premium indeed to get money out of me.

Players
356 posts

There are a few benefits to buying a premium ship, not matter what the tier. You must remember WHY you play this game. It is to have  fun, to enjoy yourself. So before you decide to get a premium ship, YOU must do some thinking. Answer these questions:_

1. Will it help you train a captain of a non premium ship line quicker? ie buying a Russian premium to train your Russian CA/DD captain. Some premium ships like the Polish, British or Chinese have limited options here.

2. Does it suit your style of play?

3. Does it perform well? Some ships like the Atlanta, Mikasa, require a lot of skill and luck, as they are very poor. Others such as the Atago, Gremyashey (no longer sold), the Murmansk are good all rounders.

Wargaming have done some terrible things to some premiums. The Yubari has seen nerf, after nerf, to the point of being almost useless. The Arkansas beta had its turret rotation nerfed. The Mikasa was advertised as being "accurate", The Sims suffered too. Some ships have not really been touched at all, the Gremyashey, the Murmansk. Whilst others have stood still in stats, but the new lines have eclipsed them (power creep).

For me I've spent all I'm going to ever spend on this game. It will have to be a very special premium indeed to get money out of me.

If didn't want to buy a premium ship ,then would getting a premium account do the same but to all the regular ships in the tech tree from all the countries ?

The premium account gives you 50% more credits per battle

50% more XP per battle

50% more commander xp per battle

But on all ships

Edited by dude1416

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
923 posts
4,848 battles

So the game is still in its testing phase then by what you said

" However, you never really get to see how they perform in a live sense until the ship has been created, modelled, coded and then put into a patch"

The game itself is not in a testing phase, the core gameplay (movement, shooting, progression) is all working as intended (unless a bug crops up). However, when adding something completely new, you have to test it to make sure it is both working and balanced with the rest of the game. The challenge is adding new ships that are both unique (no-one wants clones of pre-existing ships) and balanced so they don't have a major advantage over the others (For example, imagine the RU cruisers but with 40 knot speeds, better turning radius, and thicker armour. This would be completely unbalanced).

Don't think of this game like other major titles. This is not a finished game that is then marketed and only bug patches and the occasional DLC added. This is an ever evolving game, with (fairly) regular updates, content and bug fixes.

Players
356 posts

So any new commander joining or going to join is a tester for the game also but with no perks.

As the others tester have had and maybe still get.

How is that fair on the rest of us though we are having to test for WG also and asked to pay for things with no rewards.

I have read the agreement for testers and agreement for players joining now and for players joining now it dont say I beleave that we are testers for WG.

Also reading the testers agreement it read like you need to sign the official secrets act and only allowed to say what they decide you can.

Maybe I read it wrong and will read it again.

So it could be seen that its the testers that decide if a ship is good in its present state and if it should be change before some get to them ships.

We new commander are working out which ships work for us ,working up the countries tech tree and the testers don't need to do this because they have done all this and when a new line of ship are introduced with testers skills of the game, perks may have and already done the trees we are at present doing and we are testers that get nothing in return.

Like said it could be seen as this from a new commanders point of view.

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
923 posts
4,848 battles

So any new commander joining or going to join is a tester for the game also but with no perks.

As the others tester have had and maybe still get.

How is that fair on the rest of us though we are having to test for WG also and asked to pay for things with no rewards.

New players joining now and since Open Beta started are just that - players. The beta testers too are just players in reality, it's just a fancy name on the forums really - we never did any real 'testing' like the supertesters did, we just got to play the game earlier than the non-paying public. Alpha Testers may have done some actual testing, but I can't comment on them as I'm not one of them. The rewards for Alpha testers and Beta testers were as a thank you from WG for actively taking part in the game before it went into Open Beta - You either had to be lucky and get an invite or pay to get in, so it was WG's way of thanking us for interest in the game as they actively develop the core gameplay (Armour didn't really work well until 0.3.1, so the game was still undergoing major changes).

I have read the agreement for testers and agreement for players joining now and for players joining now it dont say I beleave that we are testers for WG.

Also reading the testers agreement it read like you need to sign the official secrets act and only allowed to say what they decide you can.

Maybe I read it wrong and will read it again.

So it could be seen that its the testers that decide if a ship is good in its present state and if it should be change before some get to them ships.

We new commander are working out which ships work for us ,working up the countries tech tree and the testers don't need to do this because they have done all this and when a new line of ship are introduced with testers skills of the game, perks may have and already done the trees we are at present doing and we are testers that get nothing in return.

Like said it could be seen as this from a new commanders point of view.

WG always has the final say on what makes it into the game. Of course, not all the WG staff have the time to play the game for themselves, so having a group like the Supertesters allows them to find bugs and balance issues much quicker than if they were left to it themselves. The Supertesters are the first to see the new ships and put them through their paces, compile feedback and create bug reports on anything that happens in the new patch. From what I've heard from Supertesters in the past, it's quite a rigorous task and the NDA they have to sign is incredibly strict on what they can say for good reason.

Us regular players are just playing the game, we are not 'testers' (My forum tag says otherwise, but I'm just a regular player like everyone else, I just happened to buy into the game during CBT). We play the game, learn the strengths of each line and develop our own play to compensate the individual ships (You can't play an IJN BB like a USN one, that's for sure). The supertesters do their best to get concerns about balance through, but until you get a large sample size form the live server, it may not be apparent and get overlooked. You can't expect it to go perfectly everytime.

Players
356 posts

So lets be honest.

Who decides which ship is working and which ship isn't.

Is it WG or testers or anyone like myself ,that I have not yet been asked.

Yes I do expect it to be perfect when it comes to spending money.

If I was getting perks of some sort for testing there latest ships for WG then maybe I would think like testers do.

Most on here are torpedo freaks it seems and I am a gun freak.

But it seems that the ships that get changed the most are the ships with good guns with  range.

I maybe wrong

There is only two BB trees IJN USN

You have four cruiser trees IJN USN GR RU but the USN Cruisers only use torpedoes up to tier V

You then have three DD trees IJN USN RU

For me with the changes they make with ships that rely on gun power more than torpedo power seem to be the ships that get the most changes.

I think that torpedo ranges should come down but would they change them of course not and why is this ,its because the ones that get changes are who prefer ships with torpedoes.

So it could be seen as bias with who changes what.

The system of whats changed to what type of ships is not done fairly in my opinion and this is another reason why I opened this topic and why I am not sure if should spend money on this game.

If they had brought out a RN tree of just BBs I may still be thinking if its worth spending more money because you know that there would be changes to those ships at some point.

I liked playing wot and I liked TDs and Heavy tanks.

What did they do because most who make these changes that prefer scout tanks and medium tanks.

They changed thing to do with the TDs by getting rid of places where a TD would snipe from and it could be seen that wows is going the same way.

So I stopped spending money on wot.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,150 posts
11,801 battles

Can I be frank?

Everytime you post a message, I glance over it and I simply have no idea what point you're trying to make.

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
923 posts
4,848 battles

So lets be honest.

Who decides which ship is working and which ship isn't.

Is it WG or testers or anyone like myself ,that I have not yet been asked.

WG will make the initial stats. Supertesters will try them out in a live environment. If any changes are needed, they'll be put in and tested again, or go straight to live. General public then uses them, much wider sample size so over or under performing ships will stick out like a sore thumb.

Yes I do expect it to be perfect when it comes to spending money.

If I was getting perks of some sort for testing there latest ships for WG then maybe I would think like testers do.

In my roughly 16 years of playing video games, I cannot say one game that was 'perfect'. Perfect would imply no room for improvement, but that's simply not true. Paying money to advance quicker is a choice you have to make yourself. I get the irritation in having something change, but if it's in the interest of game balance, then I see no reason to complain. Going back to the Cleveland example, sure it's different from CBT, but is it any worse? I can't say it is, it still performs remarkably as a ship, just takes slight alterations form the past.

Most on here are torpedo freaks it seems and I am a gun freak.

But it seems that the ships that get changed the most are the ships with good guns with  range.

I maybe wrong

There is only two BB trees IJN USN

You have four cruiser trees IJN USN GR RU but the USN Cruisers only use torpedoes up to tier V

You then have three DD trees IJN USN RU

For me with the changes they make with ships that rely on gun power more than torpedo power seem to be the ships that get the most changes.

Hmm... Cleveland, Furutaka and Colorado are the 3 ships I think of that have undergone somewhat big changes. Cleveland was the only one nerfed and even then it's still a capable ship, I mean a bad ship doesn't do 160k damage and 7 kills right?

I think that torpedo ranges should come down but would they change them of course not and why is this ,its because the ones that get changes are who prefer ships with torpedoes.

So it could be seen as bias with who changes what.

The system of whats changed to what type of ships is not done fairly in my opinion and this is another reason why I opened this topic and why I am not sure if should spend money on this game.

If they had brought out a RN tree of just BBs I may still be thinking if its worth spending more money because you know that there would be changes to those ships at some point.

Not fair? What about it isn't fair? I can't see one concrete piece of evidence that says any balancing is unfair. The closest thing I can see if the Yubari, tier 4 premium. Advertised as an AA cruiser, but it's AA is now rather weak. I mean, it was never anything special, but it could do with a little love to give me a reason to take her out every once in a while.

I liked playing wot and I liked TDs and Heavy tanks.

What did they do because most who make these changes that prefer scout tanks and medium tanks.

They changed thing to do with the TDs by getting rid of places where a TD would snipe from and it could be seen that wows is going the same way.

So I stopped spending money on wot.

Cross comparison between WoT and WoWs is pretty meaningless, different scenarios, different mechanics at play, it's just not worth mentioning. 

Can I be frank?

Everytime you post a message, I glance over it and I simply have no idea what point you're trying to make.

I'm wondering this too. I don't see anything conclusive that your putting forward, it may just be the way your writing it or I'm just a big baka. Either way, if I can just get a simple 3 or 4 sentence repsonse of the main point you're trying to make, it'd be much appreciated.

Players
356 posts

Thanks for your comments and opinions and I shall read it through many times.

But clearly if you are having problems reading what I put then it makes me wonder why keep reading and typing because I wouldn't.

I have decided and at the moment  don't think its worth it.

Maybe when they have introduced more BBs from other countries I will

I shall carry on playing it for free and work my way up the tiers.

May take longer but really  whose in a rush.

Thanks commanders :honoring:

Sign in to follow this