Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
anonym_u5USg8CcK96I

Flagship-New Game Mode

19 comments in this topic

Players
182 posts

I was playing another multiplayer naval game a few days ago and came across a match type that was great fun and I would love to see it implemented into WoWS.

At the start of the match the highest tier battleship is nominated as the flagship and a small flag icon appears above the players name.The victory condition is to destroy the enemy flagship.The fact that the objective is mobile makes for an extremely interesting and unpredictable match, as opposed to the stationary objectives in Domination/Capture the flag style game modes.

It actually felt like a proper naval fleet engagement instead of fighting over imaginary circles in the water.Please add this game type to WoWS.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,249 posts
848 battles

Hypothetically speaking, why should it be the higher tier battleship?

IRL, it could happen, but there are plenty of examples of admirals in command of huge fleets that didn't automatically choose a battleship as their flagship.

Admiral Spruance when in command of the Fifth Fleet chose to fly his flag from the heavy cruiser Indianapolis; likewise, Admiral Takeo Kurita at Leyte originally flew his flag from the cruiser Atago, and only after it was torpedoed he transferred to the Yamato.

Players
182 posts

Hypothetically speaking, why should it be the higher tier battleship?

IRL, it could happen, but there are plenty of examples of admirals in command of huge fleets that didn't automatically choose a battleship as their flagship.

Admiral Spruance when in command of the Fifth Fleet chose to fly his flag from the heavy cruiser Indianapolis; likewise, Admiral Takeo Kurita at Leyte originally flew his flag from the cruiser Atago, and only after it was torpedoed he transferred to the Yamato.

I understand that battleships were not always chosen as the flagship but in the interest of gameplay it makes sense because they are the hardest to destroy.

[ROGUE]
Beta Tester
268 posts
26,098 battles

Interesting as it may be I'll bet that mode would end up every single time in flagship sailing to the corner of the map from start to end... (so would be a mobile objective only on those minutes it would take the BB to sail from spawn to neareast corner)

Also nothing would prevent that "flagship" is someone normally called "noob" that just sails into oblivion or is afk and ruin the game for everyone.

Maybe the idea could be used on team battles or ranked battles (where there is a bit more cooperation) and the flagship is worth a bit higher sum of points then a normal BB but not game deciding (could be interesting adding that factor to the bases points)

Edit: And CV's can also be a good flagship unit since they are normally safer in the back and maybe that way some cruisers would actually care to support them... maybe  xD

Edited by SunSkaRe

Players
1,139 posts

1) Who chooses the flagship? Because the flagship player could then assume they are in command of the entire team. There are plenty of players who are very vocal during games, unfortunately, not all of those people give good advice or know what they are doing. A lot do, but some sure as hell don't.

2) Some flagship players will then just run and hide in order to survive, that then immediately puts you in a defensive posture and thus, gives the other team the possible tactical advantage. If you have a flagship on each side, then both teams could be far too tentative and defensive.

Beta Tester
742 posts
1,694 battles

I understand that battleships were not always chosen as the flagship but in the interest of gameplay it makes sense because they are the hardest to destroy.

not entirely. a well played DD or CL/A can be just as difficult to destroy in the hands of a decent player. for such a game mode the flag ship should be randomly allocated I would imagine the flagship being a IJN DD a far bigger pest to deal with than a battleship even captain and their pet could focus their fire upon

Alpha Tester
1,103 posts
2,741 battles

Flagships were choosen by several, different aspects. There have been ships specifically designed for that purpose, with additional equipment and space, for example.

Ingame, this gamemode coulde be somewhat difficult to balance. The mm is pretty random, and especially at high tier, players and matches might be a little uneven, if one team receives an elite Yamato as flaggship, while the other team has to carry a brand new, stock Izumo. In addition, if the flaggship is placed automatically by the game, what should happen if there is more than one top tier BB? Would you like to see the Flagg at the fresh Tirpitz, with a player who has less than 100 games under his belt, but the wallet to buy a tier 8 BB? Or the stock North Carolina, while there is an elited Amagi in your team aswell?

It would bring so many reasons to rage about, i don´t consider it usefull without at least the ability to influence it. Like something of a "vote your flaggship" during the loading time. In port, players could choose if they want to be voted for flaggship or not, giving players the ability to avoid the vote, if they don´t feel suited for the task.

The mode could be intresting, but not without decent fine tuning...

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
1,793 posts
21,663 battles

Nice in principle but with the advent of lots of Tipitz in potentially unskilled hands, the thought fills me with dread. We have team battles already where one person is likely to be the lead and I think that is enough.

[TTTX]
Players
1,841 posts
7,432 battles

Battleships are actually pretty fragile when under focused fire and everyone would try to focus fire on the flagship, so I think the Meta would evolve to a boring handoff where the flagship just hides in a corner with a cruiser as AA support and the other ships are trying to find where the enemy flagship is hiding. Going to the front in a flagship would mean an automatic loss for your team.

Players
182 posts

What if both teams got a "bot flagship".

That way it would be even for both teams.

That is a great idea:honoring:. That would make players rally to its defence and encourage them to engage the enemy. It would also stop the camping plague that is destroying this game, especially in higher tier matches.

Preferably a really dumb troll bot that just blunders towards the enemy:trollface: That would make for some epic fights.

Players
1,064 posts
4,944 battles

Uhm... What about no?

Apart from the good reasons already mentioned, I fear the human troll taking a NC and diving into the middle of the enemy phalanx just to make you lose and spoil your day.

Players
182 posts

Some excellent points gentlemen.I think that many of your concerns are that it wouldn't work because players would camp, deliberately sail into the enemy etc. Essentially  the argument is "Flagship mode wouldn't work because of noobs and crap players". Remember, noobs and crap players who ruin the game are in every game-mode.

When I played this game-mode in Steel Ocean, I didn't experience any of these problems and trust me the players in that game are far worse than in WoWS.

Edited by anonym_u5USg8CcK96I

[HOO]
[HOO]
Beta Tester
229 posts
10,834 battles

Perhaps it could be picked based on the highest karma rating in your team

Either that or a combination of things like Karma, number of games and tier.

Other things to consider: some form of "transfer flag", like you can transfer flag to any ship within x km, but the ability has a cooldown of 2-3 min. Then victory wont be by destroying flagship but getting 100 point, where 1 point is 1 % dmg to current flagship.

Other suggestion "Flagship ping/radar" an ability that sometimes reveals position of flagship, even if unobserved.

Players
229 posts
56 battles

Some excellent points gentlemen.I think that many of your concerns are that it wouldn't work because players would camp, deliberately sail into the enemy etc. Essentially  the argument is "Flagship mode wouldn't work because of noobs and crap players". Remember, noobs and crap players who ruin the game are in every game-mode.

When I played this game-mode in Steel Ocean, I didn't experience any of these problems and trust me the players in that game are far worse than in WoWS.

True but giving the trolls more ways to troll isn't a good idea.

[HOO]
[HOO]
Beta Tester
229 posts
10,834 battles

True but giving the trolls more ways to troll isn't a good idea.

But neither should the fear of trolls/bad players limit new ideas.

Trolls will still mess us up, nomatter what mode we play, as someone else stated above.

Sign in to follow this