You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
strangers123

[Guide contest] Tier 8-10 IJN BBs!

40 comments in this topic

[-TWA-]
Supertester, Master Pirate
641 posts
10,327 battles

Aaand the winner is...

*drumroll somewhere around here*

ShockPirat!

While both of the guides were very well written, and it was a difficult decision between the two of them, SGWA Instructors have come to the conclusion that ShockPirat's guide won the contest due to its:

Greater detail, and the depth of information, covering situations often found in random battles, such as dying to torpedoes and getting burnt to a crisp

His guide also covers multiple different playstyles and builds and explains how to play them out, answering many of the questions that people may have in mind

The GIFs, while some of them may be hard to make out details from make for some nice funny moments, and helps explain what he is trying to convey in his guide.

While the replays that Crysantos provided were amazing to watch, we didn't feel as if they explained the reasoning behind decisions, and instead was a showcase of the ship and game rather than a guide for how to play it.

Congratulations to the winner, and I do feel Crysantos deserves an honourable mention for his great effort, and otherwise good guide as well.

• Cool 5

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,041 posts
3,229 battles

Great work ShockPirate! :)

Please put up your guide in the Battleship section and post the link here, I'll make sure to pin it!

You should also be receiving the mighty HMS Warspite shortly! 

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,114 posts
13,357 battles

Aaand the winner is...

*drumroll somewhere around here*

ShockPirat!

While both of the guides were very well written, and it was a difficult decision between the two of them, SGWA Instructors have come to the conclusion that ShockPirat's guide won the contest due to its:

Greater detail, and the depth of information, covering situations often found in random battles, such as dying to torpedoes and getting burnt to a crisp

His guide also covers multiple different playstyles and builds and explains how to play them out, answering many of the questions that people may have in mind

The GIFs, while some of them may be hard to make out details from make for some nice funny moments, and helps explain what he is trying to convey in his guide.

While the replays that Crysantos provided were amazing to watch, we didn't feel as if they explained the reasoning behind decisions, and instead was a showcase of the ship and game rather than a guide for how to play it.

Congratulations to the winner, and I do feel Crysantos deserves an honourable mention for his great effort, and otherwise good guide as well.

Congratz ShockPirat! I honestly think you did a way better job and explained a lot of things in more detail. Enjoy your Warspite and I hope a lot of BB captains can learn something!
  • Cool 3

[ADRIA]
Beta Tester
814 posts
17,860 battles

Great work ShockPirate! :)

Please put up your guide in the Battleship section and post the link here, I'll make sure to pin it!

You should also be receiving the mighty HMS Warspite shortly! 

I just found it in my port. Thanks :honoring:

Here is the link: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/48176-shockpirats-guide-to-bbs-ijn-tier-8-10/

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,041 posts
3,229 battles

If we are to repeat this, which guide would you guys like to see next?

[ADRIA]
Beta Tester
814 posts
17,860 battles

If we are to repeat this, which guide would you guys like to see next?

Writing this guide was somewhat strange for me, because it really isn't just one guide. It's two guides - general guide to battleships and IJN tier 8-10 guide/review.

First I wrote the IJN tier 8-10 + builds part. Then I went back to opening post to see if I could write something more... and realized I could pretty much write a complete beginner's guide to battleships from that. Actually, IJN tier 8-10 part (which at least by the contest title was supposed to be the main thing) ended up smaller than the rest :hmm:. It seems to me I won mostly because I sank more time into writing the general part of guide. In my opinion, Crysantos' IJN BB part is better than mine.

Also, I don't think limiting guides to nations is a good idea, except perhaps for destroyers as they have very different playstyles across nations. Other ship classes, and most of all the battleships, work similar enough across all nations. In most cases what works for one will work for another (as in, if you're in a cruiser and enemy cruiser offers his nice broadside you will blast him away with AP, no matter if you're IJN or German). Some ships are quirky or unique and can pull off a specific playstyle (Yamato front penning everything else... Omaha going bow-in and rushing in), but they are minority.

I mean... if the next guide was USN battleships as Crooq_Lionfang suggested, I could pretty much copy paste the first part of my guide...

So, my suggestion is the next contest should be about a specific thing and nothing else. Break it up into beginner guides (general class gameplay) and advanced guides/ship reviews (specific nation/class + captains skills and equipment that works for those).

If a guide is about general destroyer gameplay, then it's only about that without going too much into national specificities or individual ships.

If it's be about USN battleships, then it assumes the reader knows basics of battleship gameplay/mechanics and it is ONLY about USN battleships.

If it's about IJN cruisers, it's only about IJN cruisers and their unique(ish) features.

To me, my BB guide feels somewhat artificially bloated... First you read about general BB gameplay, and then you suddenly jump into tier 8-10 IJN BB. If I was designing a web page with those guides, I would break it up... set the first part as general BB guide, and put a link to a page with IJN BB guide (and some other links) at the end of general BB guide.

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense here... I don't think I'm eloquent enough to explain what I want to explain. It makes sense in my head :amazed:

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,087 battles

You make sense, and I agree on most levels it makes no sense. Mainly because perhaps T8-T9-T10 BB's don't differ that much in play style ( Amagi vs North Cal perhaps the most due to BC vs BB, and Yamato vs Montana due to turret layout and armor model ). 

But, if you would make a guide for DD's tier 8 to 10, each nation plays so different it would perhaps make more sense to break it up into multiple guides.

ps. If you think you really should break up the guide in a general part and a IJN specific part, it would be 'easier' to amend it with an additional USN section so in that sense I myself wouldn't mind you taking the liberty to do so on your own.

[TTT]
[TTT]
Sailing Hamster, Players, Privateer
3,795 posts
17,332 battles

May be start out with lower tier ships? I mean, T8+ is arguably an area which still is not toooo populated. It might also increase the range of potential particpants.

Edited by Takru
  • Cool 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,240 posts

Mid-tier cruisers, especially where the branch switched from armoured to light, or from light to heavy. The branch stays the same, the gameplay doesn't.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,114 posts
13,357 battles

Writing this guide was somewhat strange for me, because it really isn't just one guide. It's two guides - general guide to battleships and IJN tier 8-10 guide/review.

First I wrote the IJN tier 8-10 + builds part. Then I went back to opening post to see if I could write something more... and realized I could pretty much write a complete beginner's guide to battleships from that.

That has been my issue, too. It's a very specific topic covering the Amagi, Izumo and Yamato - but you need to cover basically everything from basic game mechanics, advanced game mechanics and well - you end up with a complete guide for everything. I have to admit that this is something I didn't want to commit to - there are so many amazing guides (that are actually posted already) out there, I think that it would make more sense to build up on that and then do guides for classes in general. You can go into detail afterwards what's special about certain ships and why they're special or harder to play than others.

But that's just my 2 cents on this :)

Beta Tester
1,999 posts
6,206 battles

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/48539-shockpirats-anleitung-fuer-japanische-schlachtschiffe-tier-8-10/

Translation work has started. As it is ver long I will do this step by step, copied the whole guide in English to keep all layout and pictures, and translate it piece by piece via the edit-function as my time permits. Gonna take days

• Cool 1