Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tyrendian89

They see us rollin - for damage?

Rolling for damage - yay or nay?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see variable damage numbers from shells, like in WoT?

• No, dispersion is enough RNG for my taste!
    • Yes, but in a very limited spread - say +-5%, just to mix up the numbers a little..
    • Yes, with a bit of room, maybe 10 or 15 percent.
    • Yes, with a substantial range, like in WoT (+-25%).
    • YES! ALL THE RNG! +-50%!!!

18 comments in this topic

[DSW]
Players
3,785 posts
7,726 battles

Ahoy fellow Forumites,

just something that keeps crossing my mind: What do you all think about the current shell damage system in World of Warships, where every shell does a more or less fixed amount of damage, especially in the case of AP shells where there's precisely three different damage numbers possible (10% overpen, 33% penetration, 100% citadel)? Sure, with HE things can sometimes get a little more varied, and there are a couple of other factors that sometimes play a part like depleted sections. But at least to me personally, those very fixed and repetitive numbers that pop up always felt a little strange, and I feel World of Tanks does that a little better.

So, what do you think? Would that extra bit of RNG be good for the game? What kind of percentage range should those rolls fall into? Very small, just to mix up the numbers? Substantial, like WoT's 25% range? Huge, so that you can get those epic lucky shots sometimes? Something in between? Or none at all? I realize it's unlikely that something like this will get implemented into the game anytime soon if ever, but I'm still curious what we the players think about that!

[-MM]
Players
435 posts
8,430 battles

I would like to have a bit more RNG on torpedoes. With all those torpedoes in the water a few duds here and there would be quite refreshing. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
871 posts
5,588 battles

I would like to have a bit more RNG on torpedoes. With all those torpedoes in the water a few duds here and there would be quite refreshing. 

​That would have to go for shells too I would imagine. Lets not pick on one class again.

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
12,928 battles

​That would have to go for shells too I would imagine. Lets not pick on one class again.

do torpedoes bounce off?

Players
340 posts
134 battles

just something that keeps crossing my mind: What do you all think about the current shell damage system in World of Warships, where every shell does a more or less fixed amount of damage, especially in the case of AP shells where there's precisely three different damage numbers possible (10% overpen, 33% penetration, 100% citadel)? Sure, with HE things can sometimes get a little more varied

There's a very common 16.5% (penetration vs depleted section), and some occasional values between 0 and 33% where sections are partially depleted. There's also a rarer 43%, or overpen + penetration, where the external armour doesn't trigger the fuse but the shell bounces off internal armour. HE has fewer common options than AP as it lacks the overpen possibility: It's almost always 0, 16.5 or 33% damage.

Personally I think the fuse timing mechanic could do with some RNG, as overpenetrations are currently counter-intuitive, especially vs citadels. That would need some rebalancing though. The binary nature of HE damage is also quite weird.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,230 posts
7,310 battles

PLEASE, no more RNG. It is my most hated part of World of Tanks. You can get lucky or extremely unlucky, it doesn't matter how good you are, RNG will bleep you over, or give you a win that you do not deserve.

The RNG on the dispersion is enough. If we also get it on penetration and damage than nothing can be depended upon anymore.

so... NO.

Beta Tester
847 posts

Ahoy fellow Forumites,

just something that keeps crossing my mind: What do you all think about the current shell damage system in World of Warships, where every shell does a more or less fixed amount of damage, especially in the case of AP shells where there's precisely three different damage numbers possible (10% overpen, 33% penetration, 100% citadel)? 

There is:

-overpen

-pen

-citadel

-detonation (instakill)

Edited by N00b32

[TTT]
Players
1,952 posts
6,062 battles

do torpedoes bounce off?

Do torpedoes have a 30+% hitrate?

[-MM]
Players
435 posts
8,430 battles

Do torpedoes have a 30+% hitrate?

No and if you consider the consistent high damage and the chance of flooding they shouldn't have. Most players also don't shell places for area denial.

[TTT]
Players
1,952 posts
6,062 battles

No and if you consider the consistent high damage and the chance of flooding they shouldn't have. Most players also don't shell places for area denial.

So do DDs need a nerf to their damage? They already are the worst performing damage wise. Thats all adding the possibility of duds will do to torpedoes.

[-MM]
Players
435 posts
8,430 battles

So do DDs need a nerf to their damage? They already are the worst performing damage wise. Thats all adding the possibility of duds will do to torpedoes.

I think the DDs where balanced around a too simplified torpedo system from the very beginning. They should rework torpedoes and rebalance DDs accordingly. 

At the moment high tier gameplay is just hilariously broken, there are so many torpedoes in the water that one could walk from one end of the map to the other without getting wet feet.

Its funny, there are so many torpedoes that even the DDs get torpedoed, if they can't evade, what chance does a large cruiser or BB have? Sometimes you get torp walls out of three different directions, which makes any evading manoeuvrer utterly pointless. So excuse me if I wouldn't shed a tear if 2 out of 22 incoming torpedoes would be a dud. 

• Cool 1

Players
284 posts
2,984 battles

I think the DDs where balanced around a too simplified torpedo system from the very beginning. They should rework torpedoes and rebalance DDs accordingly. 

At the moment high tier gameplay is just hilariously broken, there are so many torpedoes in the water that one could walk from one end of the map to the other without getting wet feet.

Its funny, there are so many torpedoes that even the DDs get torpedoed, if they can't evade, what chance does a large cruiser or BB have? Sometimes you get torp walls out of three different directions, which makes any evading manoeuvrer utterly pointless. So excuse me if I wouldn't shed a tear if 2 out of 22 incoming torpedoes would be a dud. 

Then you should not cry if a torpedo hit made your ship look like this :rolleyes:

USS_Minneapolis_cries nerf torpedo.jpg

[-MM]
Players
435 posts
8,430 battles

Then you should not cry if a torpedo hit made your ship look like this :rolleyes:

Sure If they introduce a wooden bow consumable. ^^

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

Ahoy fellow Forumites,

just something that keeps crossing my mind: What do you all think about the current shell damage system in World of Warships, where every shell does a more or less fixed amount of damage, especially in the case of AP shells where there's precisely three different damage numbers possible (10% overpen, 33% penetration, 100% citadel)? Sure, with HE things can sometimes get a little more varied, and there are a couple of other factors that sometimes play a part like depleted sections. But at least to me personally, those very fixed and repetitive numbers that pop up always felt a little strange, and I feel World of Tanks does that a little better.

So, what do you think? Would that extra bit of RNG be good for the game? What kind of percentage range should those rolls fall into? Very small, just to mix up the numbers? Substantial, like WoT's 25% range? Huge, so that you can get those epic lucky shots sometimes? Something in between? Or none at all? I realize it's unlikely that something like this will get implemented into the game anytime soon if ever, but I'm still curious what we the players think about that!

You are aware that you would just add another, rather big, RNG factor into the game, just to see different numbers pop up?

For a WoT comparison you can only take the large caliber "derp" guns with horrendous accuracy sniping at distance (e. g. KV-2 or Arty shooting at 300m+). For those examples the, rather complex, damage/armor/penetration/distance - model of WoT is reduced to luck.

[BSB]
Players
546 posts

Two of some very successful games - Counter Strike and Starcraft 2 have fixed values and it`s doing them just fine. Anyone loving random in a "pvp" (quotes to show the relative use of the term, given the RNG this game has) game is simply running away from the reality.

I think this game has enough RNG in the form of accuracy, to even the odds.

[DSW]
Players
3,785 posts
7,726 battles

You are aware that you would just add another, rather big, RNG factor into the game, just to see different numbers pop up?

how big that RNG factor would be depends on the range it's given, which is exactly why I added those options. It's not like you could plan your shots as precisely as you can in Tanks (where you can quickly do the math on how many shots you'll need to kill that tank and how many you can take from him) anyway - giving damage rolls a range of 5% either way wouldn't change gameplay much at all (also because, you know, averages... and we fire waaaay more shells thank Tanks so we'll be much closer to those averages anyway).

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

I totally don't get the point then.

Adding a small RNG factor to change the gameplay a little more to the luck side (so making it worse) for a few different numbers and a little bit more frustration potential for what?

Because the damage numbers "feel" strange compared to another game with totally different damage mechanics?

Players
613 posts
6,393 battles

Less RNG more skill based would be great.

Hate it when you are outplaying someone completely dodging shells and dishing out the hurt.

Only to have half your health taken by a lucky shot or detonated.

Some RNG is fine but currently just too much.

Sign in to follow this