Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Jordan

How do you counter HE spam?

17 comments in this topic

Players
55 posts
1,615 battles

Is there any way to counter HE spam, it just melts my North Carolina, every volley is 2k+ hits, combine that with the fires and i'm dead in minutes. Literally the main reason i die in games. Torps are easy enough to dodge.

Even if i try chase them down to get some effective range so my shots can actually hit, they can easily keep a good distance away because of their speed. Moreover cruisers in my team don't realise their job is to be in front of bbs so they just stay in the back and laugh.

Any bb drivers out there, got any technique they use or when 2 ships with 12+ guns spamming HE is just GG and just hope next game will be different.

Edited by Mr_Jordan

Players
55 posts
1,615 battles

There is usually a bb right near the cruisers so, as soon as you turn a North Car is just a floating citadel

Players
74 posts

Most of the time I get Melted in my BBs it is because I have overextended. After all being the closest ship to the enemy normally gets them focusing you.

This being said you shouldn't just camp in the back as that is pretty useless to your team. Hardest thing to get right is when to push and when to stay back. Ideally you want to be engaging only 1-2 ships at a time but ofc that doesn't happen all the time.

[CATS]
Players
14,742 posts
10,882 battles

There is usually a bb right near the cruisers so, as soon as you turn a North Car is just a floating citadel

Then turn earlier. Three ships firing on one will finish the job quickly.

Players
257 posts
350 battles

I played a single match last night in the St Louis cruiser and it was crazy frustrating. The map was New Dawn Domination mode and half the team went all the way to the North edge of the map and sailed around without engaging any enemy or trying to cap or decap point A. The rest (apart from one Battleship) went down to the bottom of the map near C, but hung around in the bottom corner. Again, seemingly afraid to engage the enemy, or cap/decap. 

:angry:

I went between A and B with a battleship and got two kills and did 39,836 worth of damage. The battleship that was with me got a kill and did a good bit of damage too.

Both of our ships spent almost the entire battle on fire, but we still finished 1st and 2nd in the team and if we had ANY kind of support, we probably could have nicked a win (the enemy ships we were engaging were down to minimum health). 

Staying with the topic :unsure: As I said before, both my cruiser and the battleship seemed to be ablaze for the entire match, and it really made it difficult to have any kind of fun :child:

Beta Tester
1,196 posts
5,309 battles

Why have you put yourself in a situation where you are the focused target of several enemy cruisers and a Battleship to begin with?

You can still get away with it if you time your turn correctly to either happen right after the BB shot, or so it coincides with some islands, airplanes or torpedoes forcing the enemy Battleship into a turn of its own unable to keep all guns pointed at you.

Any bb drivers out there, got any technique they use or when 2 ships with 12+ guns spamming HE is just GG and just hope next game will be different.

If you plan ahead you can often keep them near their max range, giving many of the more dangerous HE spammers like clevelands shells enough flight time for you to be able to dodge most of them moving back and forth instead of straight. Moving away or back also can provide your teammates with opportunities to attack their sides and puts them within range of more of your teammates if they don't stop following you.

And really basic, but make sure to save the repair until you have 2-3 fires going or they stop shooting at you, fire damage is not so bad since almost all of it can be repaired.

[TTT]
Players
1,168 posts
9,822 battles

I played a single match last night in the St Louis cruiser and it was crazy frustrating. The map was New Dawn Domination mode and half the team went all the way to the North edge of the map and sailed around without engaging any enemy or trying to cap or decap point A. The rest (apart from one Battleship) went down to the bottom of the map near C, but hung around in the bottom corner. Again, seemingly afraid to engage the enemy, or cap/decap. 

:angry:

I went between A and B with a battleship and got two kills and did 39,836 worth of damage. The battleship that was with me got a kill and did a good bit of damage too.

Both of our ships spent almost the entire battle on fire, but we still finished 1st and 2nd in the team and if we had ANY kind of support, we probably could have nicked a win (the enemy ships we were engaging were down to minimum health). 

Staying with the topic :unsure: As I said before, both my cruiser and the battleship seemed to be ablaze for the entire match, and it really made it difficult to have any kind of fun :child:

It really sounds like the frustrating part should be that your team didn't play well... And if you and your BB buddy engaged a significant force(?) of the enemy team isn't it only reasonable that you are lit up more or less permanently? 

Also, doing 40k dmg in a STL and finishing first does sound like fun - although I know well the salt involved when the rest of the team just folds. That's not the fault of HE though.

Edited by gr0pah

Players
257 posts
350 battles

Also, doing 40k dmg in a STL and finishing first does sound like fun - although I know well the salt involved when the rest of the team just folds. That's not the fault of HE though.

Yeah, I suppose I was just annoyed at being constantly on fire and the other team mates apart from the battleship that was with me all ran off to the edges and point blank refused to engage ANY enemy ships. 

Just a few shots from team mates would have finished off three more badly damaged enemy ships. Can I get premium fire extinguishers like World of tanks?? :teethhappy:

[S0F]
Beta Tester
163 posts
6,413 battles

Basically keep an eye on the map and try and avoid situations like this if you are in a slow BB you kinda have to plan ahead, try and stick with other ships if there is a BB and you don't want to show him broadside wait till he shoots then turn so you can maybe back off and repair. There are skills and modules which reduce the repair time of fire and reduce the fire chance so stick them on.

[TTT]
Players
1,168 posts
9,822 battles

Can I get premium fire extinguishers like World of tanks?? :teethhappy:

Actually, you can :P I took me like 2k battles to realize that you can buy premium Repair Party (and then only because someone wrote about it on the forum)...

[T_D_G]
Players
380 posts
8,331 battles

What saves me from what happened to you on your NC is playing strategically, which means always going with 1-3 ships to the same point and be cautious. You shouldnt show your broadside but reverse when you see they are focusing on you and hide behind an island.

On-topic: yesterday I burnt down a North Carolina with Arp Myoko who was focused on a Yamato.

Beta Tester
789 posts
1,620 battles

Don't end up at 9 km from several enemies without support of your own is the first and most important thing: Even though in an ideal world the cruisers should follow and stay with you as support, sometimes you just have to go where the cruisers are going, a lone battleship is an easy target for to many things for anyone who want to be in that situation. If you still end up in such a situation push closer: their HE won't do more damage, but your AP will and once close enough you can start to wreck them even if they are pointing stern or bow towards you. In most cases the cruiser will turn away, either because they don't want to get to close as per above, or because they want to launch torpedoes, when you have a perfect side shot you can take him out with a well aimed salvo (you will have caused damage with main guns and secondaries before of course). It's a bit of a chicken race and it might cost you eating some torps, but you don’t have a real option; you can’t really run away, you have to make yourself as dangerous as possible.

If at range, make yourself as hard as possible to hit. No, you’re no cruiser or soviet DD who can dodge anything, but constantly turning (use q and e to avoid cramping your fingers) and constantly varying speed will decrease the amounts of hits you take. As you likely already know, don’t use damage control on one fire, actually avoid using it as long as possible: when you use damage control that’s a signal to all enemies that any fire or flooding they cause will run for several minutes, meaning massive damage to a BB. Try to survive on your repair as long as possible, HE and Fire damage will heal back a lot from your repair. Practice aim and timing; cruisers will not give you a perfect, steady side shot, a good player might even bait you by showing broadside and turning away the moment you fire. Get good at spotting when to fire to land at the perfect time when they have their side turned, stagger your fire to avoid losing an entire broadside to a feint. Ships like an Omaha is scary as heck when they rain constant fire-causing HE on you, but they melt away fast to good hits.

Most importantly though, and this goes for playing battleships in general, not just for this scenario is to be good at understanding what is happening, what will likely be happening in five and ten minutes and where you need to be and what you need to be doing by then. You can’t play a battleship reactively, if you get into situations where you feel you can’t control the “flow” you really got outplayed. You need to not overextend and end up unsupported but you also need to be the core of pushing and your team can’t afford you sitting in the back; having long range guns is only a part of your powers, having hard hitting guns which hits more at closer range is another and being able to take damage is the third, all these needs to be put to use. All other classes have the luxury of being flexible to varying extent; a DD that took a wrong turn and ended up running into the enemy team alone can often just turn back and go somewhere else, leaving a spread of torpedoes as a parting gift, a cruiser to can redeploy, but in a battleship you need to commit at some point, if you don’t you’ll just be hanging in the back doing nothing of value. This is vague as heck, I know, but I can’t really put it in words more specifically. I certainly don’t master this myself, by no means being a great BB player, but I do know the game enough to know what it takes to be one :)

Wow, long as heck. TLDR; Stay at correct range, aim well, avoid being predictive, if to close chicken race them but most of all, read the battle and get good at knowing where you need to be ahead of time.

• Cool 2

Players
444 posts
6,400 battles

Is there any way to counter HE spam, it just melts my North Carolina, every volley is 2k+ hits, combine that with the fires and i'm dead in minutes. Literally the main reason i die in games. Torps are easy enough to dodge.

Even if i try chase them down to get some effective range so my shots can actually hit, they can easily keep a good distance away because of their speed. Moreover cruisers in my team don't realise their job is to be in front of bbs so they just stay in the back and laugh.

fight fire with fire

Sign in to follow this