You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TheFlyingScot

US v IJN secondary BB guns

11 comments in this topic

Players
27 posts
6,835 battles

Forgive me if this has been asked already, but why do the US & IJN guns have such a huge discrpency between each others at T9 & 10 with regards to range? The Izumo seems to open fire at roughly 9km, where as the Iowa is 4.5km (without flag perk). Same at T10, Yamato seems to be around the 10km mark and Montana is only 5km.

Is there a reason for this, as I cant think of one?

Players
453 posts

Forgive me if this has been asked already, but why do the US & IJN guns have such a huge discrpency between each others at T9 & 10 with regards to range? The Izumo seems to open fire at roughly 9km, where as the Iowa is 4.5km (without flag perk). Same at T10, Yamato seems to be around the 10km mark and Montana is only 5km.

Umm, off-hand I'd tell you to start by looking at the gun calibers. USN secondaries at those tiers were all dual-purpose 127mm guns. DD guns, basically. Japanese usually relied on 152mm... and 155mm when using Mogami turrets. At tier 9 and 10 it's really the 155mm Mogami turrets you're looking at to have the longest ranges. And given the range they have as primary guns it's not out of line.

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,627 battles

Both are useless fireworks thow, secondaries were useless since launch, nothing changed, as if anyone would use the 5th skill to experiment and ''may bee'' make it to be atleast helpfull by sacrificing defence on a BB...

[CATS]
Players
14,657 posts
10,873 battles

I suggest to take a look at the values in the tech tree before making such false claims.

Players
39 posts

I just made a massive comment on how secondaries could be fixed as a whole, I'll write an article for it later, but for now its my most recent comment on this thread of mine: 
http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/44355-secondary-shell-hits-bannerribbon/

Which, I think, could make USN BB Seconadry gun buffing a viable tactic. My only issue, which could be fixed with the secondary damage prevention module, is that USN Secondary gun turrets get knocked out exceedingly easily from what I have noticed, compared to IJN atleast.

Edited by Brokenstar

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
172 posts
3,306 battles

Both are useless fireworks thow, secondaries were useless since launch, nothing changed, as if anyone would use the 5th skill to experiment and ''may bee'' make it to be atleast helpfull by sacrificing defence on a BB...

I disagree. The fireworks of the Nagato are more than enough to deal with DD's and some cruisers if they are foolish enough to close in to 7,6 km. They are mostly AP tho, if they had HE they would be OP.....

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,061 posts
17,308 battles

Well, it was also done to make them and their gameplay different so it would not be the same and boring: US BBs have better AA, JP BBs have better secs., this is like a national specific characteristic for BBs.

I wonder what will be the national characteristic for UK or GE BBs.

[DSW]
Players
3,785 posts
7,726 battles

I suggest to take a look at the values in the tech tree before making such false claims.

I would like to reverse that particular comment right back at you. Because that's what oftentimes actually happens: USN secondaries firing at (generally) 6km (5+AFT), while Izumo and Yamato batteries open up at up to 10.2km (7+AFT+Flag+Secondary Range module). The reason being that Izumo and Yamato have sufficient power in their Secondaries that some players feel it's worth it to invest into buffing them.

[CATS]
Players
14,657 posts
10,873 battles

That might be, but you cannot compare base ranges with buffed ranges and complain that buffed ranges are longer.

[GOEPT]
[GOEPT]
Weekend Tester
543 posts
8,594 battles

US has better AAs while Japs got better secondarys, u cant have it all on 1 country.

Players
1,130 posts
2,359 battles

It's because secondary battery ranges on the Yamato and Izumo are being lifted up by the 155mm guns on them, as secondary gun ranges basically depend on the longest range secondary gun on the ship. The other reason for the range difference is that IJN battleships are much more likely to invest in range increases for their secondary battery, so they often bring their 7km range up to 10+km ranges while USN BBs are more likely to stay closer to their base 5 km range.