Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SkybuckFlying

Perhaps game should have some sinking graphics or indicator.

20 comments in this topic

Players
1,246 posts
17,983 battles

Hello,

As carrier player I sometimes see ships kinda unnecessarily shooting at a sinking ship... perhaps this is because they do not know that it's sinking ?!?

Perhaps some icons could be usefull or some graphics.

For battleships some visual graphics could be usefull like water splashes or somethings.

For carriers it would be helpfull if enemy ships have burning or water icons above their ships =D

Bye,

Skybuck =D

Players
27 posts
6,890 battles

Could these shots just not be from ships that were firing long range at a target that in between the moment the guns firing and the shots landing the ship sank?

Players
1,246 posts
17,983 battles

Could these shots just not be from ships that were firing long range at a target that in between the moment the guns firing and the shots landing the ship sank?

Hmm nope, pretty sure about that.

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,605 posts

I sometimes fire of a last shot at a sinking ship, because I didn't notice the target information disapearing.

It happens very rarely and usually with a target I didn't expect to die that fast. I don't see much of a problem here.

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

Damn , you really notice a lot of useless/unnecessary things but seem to be unable to compute the current information the game is already giving you.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,064 posts
2,246 battles

Thanks for think-tanking, it's always good for the game to ventilate ideas!

I don't think we should add overmany icons and the like to the interface; there is such a thing as too much information. But then I'm 40+, so I guess it's an old guy thing...

Also, detailed screen information of that sort would feel more at home in a high-tech environment than in a WW2-era arcade game; personally I prefer to keep that little extra bit of immersion. But of course there could be an option to swich such indicators on and off.

All in all I'm quite happy to rely on current visuals to determine when a ship is on fire or sinking. And when it is sinking, the banner above it disappears, so there is that. I can't speak for carrers though, since I don't own any.

[TTT]
Players
1,168 posts
9,822 battles

I'm somewhat confident that it's a phenomena occurring more often the lower the tier. Players are just not experienced enough to realize that the target is down. I've seen people around T4 launch torpedoes at a ship that sunk 10 seconds earlier.

I can't say that I see it as a problem, and adding icons and doodads would just add clutter.

EDIT: Skybuck, have you considered to maybe slow down a bit on new topics? You post new topics extremely often, and with so many concurrent threads it's just less likely you get good answers/discussion. Try to ration them over time :)

Edited by gr0pah

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,695 posts
7,352 battles

My mod pack for WoT has angel wings ascending over a just killed tank.  They could do this for the ships.

Overall one of the poor aspects of WoWS is the unspectacular animation of the death of a ship, whether from flooding fire or damage being done it is all the same "blat" a few flames then sinking...  Boring as.

Beta Tester
2,064 posts
2,246 battles

I read somewhere on this forum that new ship death animations will be added sometime in the future. It was in one of those "Q + A" lists where the developers ansers questions, I think.

• Cool 1

Players
1,246 posts
17,983 battles

Thanks for think-tanking, it's always good for the game to ventilate ideas!

I don't think we should add overmany icons and the like to the interface; there is such a thing as too much information. But then I'm 40+, so I guess it's an old guy thing...

Also, detailed screen information of that sort would feel more at home in a high-tech environment than in a WW2-era arcade game; personally I prefer to keep that little extra bit of immersion. But of course there could be an option to swich such indicators on and off.

All in all I'm quite happy to rely on current visuals to determine when a ship is on fire or sinking. And when it is sinking, the banner above it disappears, so there is that. I can't speak for carrers though, since I don't own any.

Yeah, currently I focus/zoom into the enemy ship if I want to see if it's burning. But there is no visual indications of sinking ? Except something you mention, a banner that disappears ? Hmmm never really noticed that... or understood what it is... perhaps I have seen ships without banners and just didnt realize what it ment... so this banner disappears, without mods installed ? So it's actually part of the game ?

If it's indeed part of the game, then what banner do you mean ? The one counting the ship type/player name or something like that ? Will that actually disappear ?

What if the ship stops sinking will it then reappear ? Hmm... I find this mechanic kinda funny and strange... hmmm

Maybe ships could be made a bit more blue-isch but I guess that would not fit with the them.

Now I have a nice idea: Some water on top of the ship... like poudbles of water.

Maybe that could function as some kind of indicator.

Players
1,246 posts
17,983 battles

No I didn't mean SUNK.

I mean when it's actually SINKING... like taking on water.

I find it kinda annoying/stupid if people keep shooting it.... just let it SINK ! ;) =D

(It's also much more funny for the player experiencing the sinking... the more he sinks, the more likely the voice gets all water like... like snorkles or ya know... gupling whatever... gulp gulp gulp blub blub :P).

(Just like a burning ship... it's not dead yet... but let it buuuurrn ! ;) :))

So I want a:

"Ship is sinking indicator" ?!?!?

Is there such a thing ?

Are we "communicating" about the same thing ? ;)

Lol now I am kinda confused lol.

Edited by SkybuckFlying

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,695 posts
7,352 battles

No I didn't mean SUNK.

I find it kinda annoying/stupid if people keep shooting it.... just let it SINK ! ;) =D

(It's also much more funny for the player experiencing the sinking... the more he sinks, the more likely the voice gets all water like... like snorkles or ya know... gupling whatever... gulp gulp gulp blub blub :P).

(Just like a burning ship... it's not dead yet... but let it buuuurrn ! ;) :))

So I want a:

"Ship is sinking indicator" ?!?!?

Is there such a thing ?

Are we "communicating" about the same thing ? ;)

Lol now I am kinda confused lol.

Might I suggest that you enable the "Alternative battle interface mode!" in settings because that then displays an even more prominent set of icons over the ships in game (You can see what it looks like by pressing Alt otherwise).  The lack of that over a "target" is a giveaway it is already dead...

[TTT]
Players
1,952 posts
6,069 battles

So you want people to stop shooting a target because they are flooding? Even with an indicator thats not going to happen. The faster an enemy is dead the better.

Players
1,246 posts
17,983 battles

I play with alternative battle interface.

Do you think I don't know the difference between a dead ship and an alive ship ?

No ! I do know the difference !

The problem is with a ship that is still alive and sinking ! But it's not dead yet !

How to tell if it's sinking ?!

I know for me it's easy because there will be this sinking icon displayed... which will go up and accumalate and such.

But how can my teammates tell that I just blew a hole into somebody elses ship and that it's now gathering water ?!

(I am done now for today, so not gonna start game up to check or whatever... hmm.. maybe tomorrow... sometimes I do notice enemies move a bit slower or hang a bit in the water... but for a carrier from the top hard if not impossible to see... also far away ofcourse hard to see... maybe that s realistic and for the better or maybe not... depends... crew could see enemy ship maybe sink if crew well trained and has binoculars ! ;) :))

Edited by SkybuckFlying

Beta Tester
121 posts
5,424 battles

What do you mean by sinking? Flooding or burning? You can observe that by looking at the healthbar. 

Sinking does not exist because the ship either has hps left or not. 

Players
131 posts
2,810 battles

What do you mean by sinking? Flooding or burning? You can observe that by looking at the healthbar. 

Sinking does not exist because the ship either has hps left or not. 

He is a trolling idiot, who doesn't want you to notice how perversely stupid he is appearing on these thread. By answering these dumbass nothing questions and getting people annoyed with idiot replies.

People shoot at dead, and nearly dead ships because they want the kill or to make sure it's dead. Also remembering that some ships have high shell travel times. Stupid dumbass question answered. Ship with 1HP left is capable of doing the same damage as a full health one, go figure why people finish off near dead ships...
  • Cool 1

Players
1,246 posts
17,983 battles

He is a trolling idiot, who doesn't want you to notice how perversely stupid he is appearing on these thread. By answering these dumbass nothing questions and getting people annoyed with idiot replies.

People shoot at dead, and nearly dead ships because they want the kill or to make sure it's dead. Also remembering that some ships have high shell travel times. Stupid dumbass question answered. Ship with 1HP left is capable of doing the same damage as a full health one, go figure why people finish off near dead ships...

Not always the case, repair time can be something like 60 to 120 seconds.

Driving away can also save yourself from taking damage.

If a ship has 8K or 20k or even 30K damage it might still sink.

I am not exactly sure how much damage sinking can do. This probably also depends on how many holes the enemy ship has.

Also my graphics on low, high res though... never really notice holes.

Someone once said I had a hole in my ship lol.

Maybe seen it once or so...

It's a bit like fire and forget... like torp boats... launching torps driving away... there some youtube videos of that.

Naturally sinking goes with the process for torpedoes...

This kinda means people shooting at ships where torpedoes were clearly going towards might be wasting their precise fire.

It makes more sense to fire at another ship to add to MAX DAMAGE that team can do ! ;)

Furthermore the reload time of a battleship can be quite high 30 seconds.

I realize yesterday that this can cause people to have the feeling that BB not  helping out and watching people die, though sometimes it's a kill stealer which is infuriating so one can never be sure.

In case of BB it can try and heal itself.

If it fires again it can be dangerous, but could also be avoided.

Doing exact math to see which course of action to take is a bit difficult, many factors/variables at play and ofcourse uncertainties...

Does BB still have heals ? repairs ? it can be usefull to fire at ships with HE first to waste their repairs, especially if sinking is more powerfull...

Not sure how much damage sinking does exactly...

So it's faaaaaar from stupid questions... you also don't know answers to this... perhaps that's annoying you, or you a stupid person yourself :P*

Edited by SkybuckFlying

Players
131 posts
2,810 battles

Yeah, though by sinking I assume you mean flooding in which case it is still better to finish off a wounded ship and reduce the number of guns firing.  Maybe your choice of target is the difference between our win rates.  Going for pure damage leaves guns in play which can reduce your win chance...

I have had a number of games where I have smashed my way through while being on 1/4 health after unlucky citadels early on.  Finishing off targets is critical :hmm:

A ship that is merely flooding is still a threat, and so continuing to shoot it finishes the target faster... So desist from being obtuse 

Alpha Tester
2,070 posts
1,108 battles

Thread closed due to breaches of the forum rules:

2.5 Off Topic, spamming and trolling

This category includes:

• Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums - over 1k games and you ask such question, genuine, i think not
• Making non-constructive posts, or creating threads on non-constructive topics