Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SkybuckFlying

How to successfully strafe with fighter ?

11 comments in this topic

Players
1,246 posts
17,301 battles

Hello,

There is something I don't quite understand which is how to successfully strafe with a fighter plane ?

I see this green/yellow cone/rectangle.

Do the enemy planes just have to be in this rectangle ?

Also at what distance/percentage from the starting point does the fighter attack ? Is it like torpedoes does it need some activation time ?

Also will it be more effective if enemy planes are together ? So if enemy planes are a little bit more spread out in cone, will it be less effective ?

Also is strafe more usefull against bombers ?

I have seen strafe wipe out entire bomber squadrons which are close together.

But when I try it on fighters together it doesn't really seem to work that well.

Might be that my fighters/captain skills not that great, but the difference is pretty huge.

Strafing enemy fighters doesn't really seem to have any effect ? It was same tier...

Also does it matter if it strafes from the side or anything like that ?

Bye,

Skybuck.

Beta Tester
300 posts
5,980 battles

Hello,

I think you can find a lot of guides on YouTube

There are also guides in other forum sections

I also love feeding trolls

Bye,

Adrian1914

• Cool 1

Players
69 posts
7,323 battles

you want to be roughly 1/5 of the yellow highlighted area ( when at full ammo ) behind the squadron/s you wish to barrage, the yellow highlighted area is the range that you fighters can barrage with the ammo they have onboard. once the barrage has begun you can not exit from it

it is best for you to have a play around with it and keep practicing untill you get it right.

it is quite easy to tell when a player is about to barrage as the fighters will do this little maneuver just before so you can dodge them.

[-TXG-]
Players
2,368 posts

Hello,

I think you can find a lot of guides on YouTube

There are also guides in other forum sections

I also love feeding trolls

Bye,

Adrian1914

Hi all

:teethhappy: 

bush "wacker001"

Players
1,246 posts
17,301 battles

Ok, watch some youtube videos, so basically the green cone turns into a yellow cone.

I do not see the bullits from the planes in this case I think because of low graphics, not completely sure though, that might help to understand what's going on.

Anyway some questions:

1. Can barrage only be done with full ammo ?

2. If not there is no barrage cooldown ? hmm...

hmmm and lastly based on observations somewhat:

3. I assume buffed planes/captain skills and such also buff strafe ? :P

Edited by SkybuckFlying

[PARAZ]
Players
17 posts
9,250 battles

My Advice at the Moment (0.5.3), forget it,

- speed bonus is gone

- dmg is greatly reduced

- it looks like they enabled RNG for strafing too.. sometimes u get 3 planes, sometimes 0

- just dont bulk your planes at one place and let your fighters fight normaly

when they repair the "barrage" skill u can try it again

Weekend Tester
477 posts
4,742 battles

They changed it? It was pretty much only way to have any chance against better/more numerous enemy fighters.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,230 posts
7,319 battles

Yup it got changed in the way Arbedark says. It is completely useless now, except when you have something like 4 squadrons of TBs and DBs flying huddled up and you can get them from behind. In ANY OTHER CASE its completely and utterly useless.

I tried numerious times since patch 5.3. And I usually laugh when someone uses it on my fighters. Just move them out of the way and you lose 0 planes, then attack the fighters and you are pretty much ensured with a victory, since those fighters lost half their ammo, and you started shooting them while they are still strafing :P.

It's another case of WG completely overnerfing something that didn't really need much nerfing in the first place.

Players
1,246 posts
17,301 battles

It could be that it's also a bit buggy. Somebody I killed, said that his fighters were performing the strafe loop over and over again. Not sure if this was before or after he died ! ;) :)

Perhaps he means the entire block thing... I find that a bit lengthy... hmmm or a real loop buggy... hmm not sure if it played much issue for him probably not.

I was very powerfull maybe it was an excuse. Take it with grain of salt for now ! ;) :) Though I have seen plenty of slight and larger plane bugs... so I would not be surprised at all... could also be lag related, who knows ;)

Overall it's ok though the activation distance for torpedoes is a bit large for hitting destroyers, makes it impossible sometimes if they keep turning and turning and stuff like that...  I guess a retreat might then be in order... but they would start turning and turning again oh well... for now let it be ! ;) yeah best... I have seen some really close enemy carrier drops that s kinda odd, wonder if somethings up with that ;) hard to tell with different zoom levels... if it's normal or not and what exact distance it was and so... oh well. Getting off topic well I ll cut it out.

Edited by SkybuckFlying

Beta Tester
467 posts
13,407 battles

I cant make it work after patch either. Its starting later and shoots shorter, if at all it seems. Often it seems as fighters just loose ammo without shooting

edit

and it makes your fighters temporary useless because they are unresponsive when they "strafe"

Edited by bug

[TF-58]
Players
6 posts
3,644 battles

Before last update, I could kill up to 12 planes with my Jap' fighters. Or sometimes more when all the squadrons are packed. But now not even a single plane destroyed. Doesn't matter if I do it to bombers or fighters. And of course, when I do it against fighters, they turn, get on me and kill my squadron.

Sign in to follow this