You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Crusherheads

US BBs AA stand alone - Working was intended...

11 comments in this topic

[GOEPT]
[GOEPT]
Weekend Tester
543 posts
8,688 battles

Seems like my planes from Shokaku cant handle a North carolina AAs guns that is alone....Sadly.. working was intended...

Giving the BBs the effectiveness of AA while not touching or even nerf US Cv layout can be sad...knowing that i shouldnt send my planes to a US but something is a Cruiser other is a alone BB... *sigh*

tumblr_inline_nt17a5Gglm1txlwvy_500.gif

Alpha Tester
1,102 posts
2,442 battles

I can´t speak for the CV perspektive, but for my NC experience on the testbed. With the latest changes to the captains perks, the NC is basically the definition of a floating AAA battery at tier 8. Thanks to the lack of usefull secondary guns, it is just meant to be turned into a AAA fortress, and with all perks and modules fit, the NC, as you might have found out, is very capable in taking down CV planes, when focusing fire. As a CV, there are two things to do: send in all squads as once, so you buy the time to move in with one squad for sacrifice the assault, maybe suffering another one on the retreat, or go for a different target.

Just because rock-paper-scissor mechanics told you that CVs are the shotgun in this mechanic, and BBs the primary victim, doesn´t mean equally tiered BBs go down like a freeloot.

Up from tier 7, USN BBs can have massive AAA, and to be honest, i put in everything i can on these, to max it out. Wouldn´t be too surprised, if other players go the same way...

• Cool 1

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
12,943 battles

the Iowa is even better as a AA Fortress it melts Tier 10 planes :trollface:

• Cool 1

[GOEPT]
[GOEPT]
Weekend Tester
543 posts
8,688 battles

I can´t speak for the CV perspektive, but for my NC experience on the testbed. With the latest changes to the captains perks, the NC is basically the definition of a floating AAA battery at tier 8. Thanks to the lack of usefull secondary guns, it is just meant to be turned into a AAA fortress, and with all perks and modules fit, the NC, as you might have found out, is very capable in taking down CV planes, when focusing fire. As a CV, there are two things to do: send in all squads as once, so you buy the time to move in with one squad for sacrifice the assault, maybe suffering another one on the retreat, or go for a different target.

Just because rock-paper-scissor mechanics told you that CVs are the shotgun in this mechanic, and BBs the primary victim, doesn´t mean equally tiered BBs go down like a freeloot.

Up from tier 7, USN BBs can have massive AAA, and to be honest, i put in everything i can on these, to max it out. Wouldn´t be too surprised, if other players go the same way...

Yah pretty much, that why i kinda perfer goin after Amagis or izumos since those dont have was much AA treath that US bbs...sadly sigh... even a Tirpitz is easyer than NC lol x)

[GOEPT]
[GOEPT]
Weekend Tester
543 posts
8,688 battles

Btw the US planes seems to survive better than Japs planes, propably due their speed ? i mean i find out that US planes drop their bombs/torpedos faster than Japs >.> ...

[T_D_G]
Players
380 posts
8,323 battles

I have 99AA on my North Carolina therefore I love the games where is CVs involved. Even at 7km range I get to kill some planes flying by haha. When Im playing my lexington i leave NCs as last target and I primarly focus on DDs and CAs without that good AA and BBs with the same problem.

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
12,943 battles

I have 100 AA on my Iowa I AM DONT EVEN HAVE ALL SKILLS lol

[GOEPT]
[GOEPT]
Weekend Tester
543 posts
8,688 battles

Yeah sigh... BBs having massive AA effect was US cruisers or any cruiser... to find a good target while caring for enemy Cv fighters is like:

tumblr_mxgv1lAEug1rbnx7io1_500.gif

But eventually will find my way sometime soon!

TUcc9Ppa6lVkc.gif

Players
1,130 posts
2,359 battles

I generally find that it is a waste of time attacking pristine US BBs unless they are 2 tiers lower than you, you are better off hunting other targets early game until your team's CAs, CLs and DDs have spammed away with their HE and taken out some of the AA guns. If you absolutely must engage a US BB without support then you should launch a couple of strikes with all your DBs to take out as many AA mounts as possible before risking your TBs.

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,088 posts
14,054 battles

Quick advice from a fellow carrier captain. You can use your dive bombers to knock down the AA mounts on a ship. You can also go after battleships that have recently went through an HE spam. I went after an Iowa in my Hiryuu (t7 vs t9) and I managed to land all of the torpedoes in the water before any of my planes start dying. Rushing a full health anything of the same tier as you with all of the AA mounts still active is almost always a waste of time.

[-TWA-]
Beta Tester
134 posts
10,562 battles

Your 8 torp planes (á 1700HP) and 10 dive bombers (á 1800HP) will take either

365DPS at 7.2km (1 downed plane every ~4.8 seconds)

590DPS at 5.1km (1 downed plane every ~3 seconds)

790DPS at 2.9km (1 downed plane every ~2.2 seconds) 

against a fully-AA specced, AA-equipped, and undamaged NC (which costs 9 captain skill points and 1 equipment module; all of which is wasted in matches without CVs).

A fast attack with all 18 planes should be able to drop at least 75% of all bombs and torps unless you send in the squads one after each other or fly around inside the 7.2km range for more than 20 seconds before the drop.

Furthermore you should probably attack AA-heavy ships only after the number of their AA mounts has been reduced by cruiser HE shells.

• Cool 1