You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
beczl

[0.5.4.1] Glowing searchlights

38 comments in this topic

Weekend Tester
28 posts
2,166 battles

Hi,

I created a mod that "switch on" all ship position lights, searchlights, reflectors, landing lights etc... 

V1.2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMOEvrDhYuvUFJhRFZsZVc5OEU/view?usp=sharing

Examples how's looks like at day and night

vA7Hdam.jpgeq8JbUb.jpgyFOErLF.jpg2spvS6D.jpg

Installation: Unpack than just copy to res_mods folder as usually.

• I use same texture size, MIPMaps and compression that WoWs used so you should won't have any performance issue.
  • It is not interfere with any other mod because it is change the lights only.
  • In some cases if you use custom texture mods that change some of these ship lights textures (lights, reflectors, etc..) you need to revise your texture mod first before use this mod.

Any feedback, bug report or feature request is appreciated.

Changelog:

V1.2: Fixed Novik, Arkansas, Blyskawica, Hipper, Tashkent lights

V1.11: Fixed German ships flagstaff lights, add German ships signal light

V1.1: Enhanced searchlights textures, modify all light emission power settings
V1.01: Apply Russian ship texture changes for 0.5.3.2
V1.0: Initial version for 0

Edited by beczl
  • Cool 11

[SV2]
Beta Tester
234 posts
1,788 battles

Nice one, i will be useing it. sounds like a really fun idea.

Do they aim airplanes nearby? :trollface:

Weekend Tester
28 posts
2,166 battles

Nice one, i will be useing it. sounds like a really fun idea.

Do they aim airplanes nearby? :trollface:

Not yet. :rolleyes:

Players
21 posts

Very cool, I dig it. 

There are a few lights which are missed, however. Some examples: flagstaff/stern light on Arkansas, Admiral Hipper, Roon; running lights on Hipper; jackstaff on Tashkent, flagstaff on Udaloi; Doesn't look like the port/starboard running lights on Roon are active at all. Also, there are some masthead lights on German ships which aren't lit, as well as what I believe is a circular signal light on the aft mast which isn't lit. I think it's similar to the Japanese signal lamps, with a red light on the port side of the circle, green on the starboard, and white lights top, bottom and center.

German signal light

695c647254.jpg

Flagstaff light on Hipper...

a52eaee5b2.jpg

...and Roon

22c5d3d19e.jpg

Running lights on Hipper

ea3c6a9b49.jpg

(They seem to be lit on Roon)

7619e16c26.jpg

Flagstaff light on Arkansas

4beea5b3fb.jpg

Jackstaff light on Tashkent

0567cd80ea.jpg

Blyskawica is missing all navigation lights (two on the flagstaff, masthead, running lights), only the searchlights are lit.

I might add some of these missing objects. If I did, perhaps you would include them in your mod?

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
28 posts
2,166 battles

Very cool, I dig it. 

There are a few lights which are missed, however. Some examples: flagstaff/stern light on Arkansas, Admiral Hipper, Roon; running lights on Hipper; jackstaff on Tashkent, flagstaff on Udaloi; Doesn't look like the port/starboard running lights on Roon are active at all. Also, there are some masthead lights on German ships which aren't lit, as well as what I believe is a circular signal light on the aft mast which isn't lit. I think it's similar to the Japanese signal lamps, with a red light on the port side of the circle, green on the starboard, and white lights top, bottom and center.

German signal light

695c647254.jpg

Flagstaff light on Hipper...

a52eaee5b2.jpg

...and Roon

22c5d3d19e.jpg

Running lights on Hipper

ea3c6a9b49.jpg

(They seem to be lit on Roon)

7619e16c26.jpg

Flagstaff light on Arkansas

4beea5b3fb.jpg

Jackstaff light on Tashkent

0567cd80ea.jpg

Blyskawica is missing all navigation lights (two on the flagstaff, masthead, running lights), only the searchlights are lit.

I might add some of these missing objects. If I did, perhaps you would include them in your mod?

Hi.

Great findings thanks. I'll check all of these issues and fix them ASAP. :B

Weekend Tester
28 posts
2,166 battles

German signal light
In real life it's contain white, yellow, green, red lamps, but in the game all individual lamps use the same shared texture and in case impossible to set the to a correct color. I decided to glow them to white in case.

German flagstaff light: fixed

Admiral Hipper / Arkansas / Tashkent / Blyskawica
Running lights: Can not be fixed because in 99% of the ships use a separated lights/lamps model and textures that easily set to a glowing one. But some ships (Hipper, Arkansas, Tashkent, Blyskawica) use the ship hull normal/specular texture for ship lights.

Bv25OD3.jpgixbC6Ge.jpgKz7P6yF.jpg

When I tried to set these lights to a glowing version I realized all of these ship hull specular map need to be a fully rework (need to be remove the cyan color layer because this vcolor responsible for glowing effect) see examples... so I need more time than I expected...

eFJEfRv.jpg

Latest update (V1.11 see 1st post) contain German flagstaff lights and German signal lamp fixes.

Edited by beczl
  • Cool 2

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
12,903 battles

maybe a bit Off-Topic but where can I get the japanese admiral flag?

Weekend Tester
28 posts
2,166 battles

maybe a bit Off-Topic but where can I get the japanese admiral flag?

It's my own mod. I replaced original WG CBT flagwith that admiral flag.

Just extract than copy to \res_mods\0.5.3.2\content\gameplay\common\flags\ folder

flags.zip

• Cool 1

Players
21 posts

You might consider turning the emissivity value up from 2. In all cases 2 isn't bright enough to give the impression that it's actually illuminated. I tried 5, 10 and 15, which is what I have it at now...it would be too bright if there were real night battles, but at least the lights "pop", and it looks great on a well-lit ship like Atago:

9008fed421.jpg

Just a suggestion :D

And now, some questions.

I have to keep my graphics settings turned down for decent FPS in game. Unfortunately this means the various light effects tend to disappear when zoomed out. Up close, I see all the lights. But zooming out even a small amount and many of them disappear. Zoomed out fully (slightly more than stock, with a zoom mod) and I see only a single searchlight; at stock full zoom, I see a few more.

I've played with some of the graphics settings and have gotten some improvement, but only Object LOD seems to have any effect...Draw Distance makes no difference.

So how far out can you see the various lighting effects, and if it's further away than me, what are your graphics set to?

Note: the screenshots of Atago were taken on Northern Lights with a modified space.settings file to darken it. <sun> , <sundisk> , <skyLumMultiplier> (and the other Multipliers) turned way down...along with <fogStart> raised to 5000 to remove fog effects.

Edited by Theurge

Weekend Tester
28 posts
2,166 battles

Well I checked all settings that you suggested. In my side if I up the emissivity values I will have some strange effect especially in bright sun condition. 

I have no issue to light effect disappearancy. By the way my graphics setting is set to very high. Basically all objects visibility especially small ones connect to pre-defined objects LODs. In some cases on low/med graphics settings you should recognise similar effect that you described.

[PRAVD]
Weekend Tester
27 posts
3,805 battles

Great mod beczl! This topic about the mod deserves a follow! :3

Weekend Tester
28 posts
2,166 battles

Hi, it seems to be not working on T4 RU CA, otherwise it's great!

shot-16.04.03_03.37.16-0833.jpg

I will check and fix soon... Thanks to report.
  • Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,287 posts
6,159 battles

This mod seems very nice, I hope it gets added to Aslain's modpack.....Though I agree with Theurge....a slight increase in brightness would be nice....but still...nice work

Weekend Tester
28 posts
2,166 battles

Hi, it seems to be not working on T4 RU CA, otherwise it's great!

shot-16.04.03_03.37.16-0833.jpg

Fixed. V1.2 available for download in 1st post as usually. Enjoy!
  • Cool 1

[W-C]
2,287 posts
6,159 battles

Howdy, I think your update may have screwed up the arkansas's camo.... TBH I haven't checked it before I installed the mod, but I'm pretty sure it was the mods fault. GYRo8Xg.jpg

Weekend Tester
28 posts
2,166 battles

Howdy, I think your update may have screwed up the arkansas's camo.... TBH I haven't checked it before I installed the mod, but I'm pretty sure it was the mods fault. 

Yes should be possible. I usually checked models without camo. In case you can delete the following folder:

....\res_mods\0.5.4.1\content\gameplay\usa\ship\battleship\

Than you get back the normal Arkansas.

Generally all lights has a separated 3D model and textures... but unfortunately some cases lazy developers use the ship base texture for lights.... that is the reason why some the ships camo textures has a conflict with my mod.

[W-C]
2,287 posts
6,159 battles

Yup that fixed the problem

Beta Tester
169 posts
11,695 battles

Nice lights it really improves the battlefield mood :medal:. Shure wish they would rotate to spot planes :trollface: