Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MilkPowder

Wargaming encouraging poor play!

29 comments in this topic

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles

Just like the Campbeltown illustration showing a ship ramming the coast. OMG noob focus firing didn't u hear the collision alarm?

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
2,155 battles

:teethhappy:

EDIT: No, look again - Wargaming actually warns us against the inevitable consequenses if a battleship would go mid on Two Brothers: The text at the bottom tells us that torpedoes are incoming!

Edited by Procrastes
  • Cool 1

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,110 posts
4,216 battles

And so many people follow this advice !!

At each game on Two Brother I tell my mates to never go middle, only few times do I see people follow my advice ...

Beta Tester
871 posts
5,588 battles

Seen that happen many a time. Are you saying WG should put some signs up saying no entry BB. The choice is there for anyone to risk it which is good to have a choice but yeah, who would go down there apart from dumb sailors. Don't even go down there in my DD.

• Cool 1

[G0LD]
[G0LD]
Alpha Tester
1,462 posts
4,626 battles

Not a rule, more a guideline ;)

After some Time in Battle, a push through the Middle can make a Victory out of a Near Defeat.
A fast DD driving through the Middle Capping, can bring an entire Push to a halt.. make you lose an almost won Battle because your Ships are not fast enough to encounter a Smoked in DD..

If you pushing through the Middle at the start, or early Middle, there can be a lot of Ships still there, protecting the entrance.

maybe a Spotting Plane lit you up once, and a DD is already Waiting for you at the entrance.. Torps Ready to launch..

Its like a Poker game, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose..

Beta Tester
1,196 posts
5,307 battles

Battleship going through the mid doesn't have to be automatically "poor play". It all depends on where the ships on your and the enemy team are located and how late it is in the game.

I've done it once or twice with a Battleship ( near the end of the game ) and both survived and won.

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,389 posts
6,113 battles

One of the most epic Tirpitz battles I had was going through the middle mid-game. the buggers other team did not know what hit them as I emerged in torpedo range from their only carrier and just behind their battleships. On the other hand could do this only because I returned to our empty cap to stop cruisers coming through  the middle - if you wait there with battleship, you are depriving your team of your guns (unless mitigating circumstances of enemy early push through mid).

On the other hand my most epic Clemson battle was waiting there in Tier VI battle and stitching Fuso and New York pushing early through middle with torpedo volleys.

All in all, the mid needs a very specific set of circumstances to be viable in any ship - let alone in a battleship.

• Cool 2

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

All in all, the mid needs a very specific set of circumstances to be viable in any ship - let alone in a battleship.

And that circumstances never happen in early match.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
1,168 posts
9,822 battles

Never as attacker I agree.

On defense (as a DD) I've had so many fun moments in mid. Once took out a full hp Fuso, Minekaze and Farragut in Ognevoi before I exploded (of course my team lost anyway, but whatcha gonna do).

Players
385 posts
3,363 battles

It's not a viable tactic at all, I have seen someone actually pulling it off maybe once or twice. Usually it ends fellas marching blindly like a hypnotized sheep on their way to abattoir, then die poorly without any contribution to the team.

Or even worse, when half of the team advances and other half takes "oh-we-stay-and-wait-for-them-to-come-down-the-passage" stance.

[YEEET]
Players
1,188 posts
11,264 battles

Agree - only time to use middle is near end of game or if you can see where all the other team is.

Players
1,246 posts
17,301 battles

A battleship going mid/channel/tunnel early on, can surprise the leveling sh*t out of tiny/little/pesky destroyers.

Hitting a bb from the front can be tricky and might not kill the BB, then what you gonna do ?

A bb with good secondary fire can sink those little pesky DDs :) =D

[TTT]
Players
1,168 posts
9,822 battles

A battleship going mid/channel/tunnel early on, can surprise the leveling sh*t out of tiny/little/pesky destroyers.

Hitting a bb from the front can be tricky and might not kill the BB, then what you gonna do ?

A bb with good secondary fire can sink those little pesky DDs :) =D

A BB will get exactly one salvo off, and it will be against a bow on DD. Then the DD will sail up and launch it's torps from 0.3 km diagonally in front. There's nothing "tricky" about it. Believe me when I say that I've done it to more than one BB captain with your reasoning. :)

EDIT: Of course bad BB players are just as likely to meet a bad or even worse DD captain, and then ship can happens. But given equal skill, a DD should always nuke a BB going mid.

Edited by gr0pah

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

I have gone through the middle early game once. And that was because a BB on my team insisted of going through.

I figured that he'd stand a better chance with a DD scouting for him when emerging on the other side. I popped out, saw an enemy DD danger close, he launched torps and I missed... he didn't... shortest game ever for me

Guess I dont have to mention the BB did not live long either.

Beta Tester
191 posts

Was in a 3 man Derpitz div and a stray who joined us insisted the 3 of us head through the middle after a couple of minutes and it would be a very quick win as salvo after salvo of our torps would wreck havoc along with our gunfire

Toby chickened out and went west and I was going to go up the channel however seeing how many Toby was about to face had to join him. Our erstwhile 3rd did charge the channel and got stuck in and we were a little slow mopping up on our side and too late to stop him being sunk but it did make it easy for us to finish off the remainder. Grudgingly I think he may have been right but what was in our favour that we were top tier and only a single DD on each side and mostly USN CA on thier side so they were torp lite.

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,240 battles

Profile - summary - background image encourages fail-platooning, Wickes (?) vs an Izumo, wtf! ;)

youvsdw.jpg

Double barrels, that's a Clemson!

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,504 posts

The first match I played on Twin Brothers I relaized how dangerous a passage between them would be. I parked my destroyer in front of it, fired of a salvo of torps and moved on to assist the rest of my team.

A few moments later I noticed torpedo hits accounted. Another half minute later I recieved message that I sunk an enemy cruiser. On a hunch I turned back and fired another salvo into the channel and surely, just as my spidersense told me, a destroyer came into view and moved straight into its doom.

At that point the match was pretty much over. I wasn't needed at the flanks as my team mopped up the oppsing forces there just fine. This match tought me two important lessons.

Lesson 1: Don't move through the passage early on.

Lesson 2: There are always players who didn't learn lesson 1. :look::red_button:

Players
1,130 posts
2,359 battles

Sending a battleship down the middle isn't a bad idea if your carriers have done their job and destroyed all the enemy destroyers. I remember several games where I went down the middle with my Kongo (technically a battlecruiser, but still) and nobody was able to do much because most enemies were on the flanks and nobody spotted me until I was in their cap.

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,240 battles

Okay, but still a fail platoon! ;)

OMG, WW2 was a total fail MM then from start to finish :hiding:
  • Cool 1

Players
387 posts
2,834 battles

I hate it when people go through at the start of the battle. After a losing streak I said in chat:"any DDs go through in the beginning of the battle I will shoot you myself", because some friendly dds were flirting with the entrance after capping A.

However. One of my most successful battles in an Aoba, was when I returned to base to defend against a DD who was trying to cap. He kinda lured me in the channel and I followed and got the kill. Then I thought " Im not gonna reverse all this. So I carried on forward until near the exit and camped there. sending torps now and then and shooting at retreating to base, thinking they are safe and exposing broadsides enemies. I was on a roll. We won and was one of my best games ever.

Still hate the channel though. But love the map

Sign in to follow this