Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ferrariman15

Battleships accuracy

23 comments in this topic

Players
10 posts
696 battles

Hi guys,

I know this has come up over and over again but it is really really driving me nuts now.

The accuracy of battleships guns in the game are diabolical. Now considering how long it takes for a BB to reload every shot counts. So I aim, judge the lead on the target by how fast it is going and fire. Now I never fire a complete salvo. I will always fire and then change slightly in case I've got my lead wrong on the first but keep the elevation the same. So what happens, half the shots go long and half of them fall short. So my aim is good but the game RNG has decided that none of them will hit?? Its turning into pot luck whether you hit the target in a BB now. Yet cruisers can happily pepper you with HE all day because it doesn't really matter whether they aim or not because you are slower and they reload so quickly. I am far from one of those who believes that because I'm in a BB I should be invincible and citadel everything but the RNG is seriously starting to make me think whether I can be bothered playing Battleships any more and just spam HE at everything in a cruiser. I just don't enjoy playing battleships anymore because my efforts in learning how to aim are irrelevant with the RNG gods. I have noticed that there is a distinct lack of BB's in games recently, most people are in destroyers or cruisers.

Anyway that's my little rant over with and I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

They still have the most average damage across ships though. (Bar high tiered carriers)

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,289 battles

I can understand it but to be a good bb player you need to over come the frustration, not "expect" your salvo to be awesome and just get used to it. The nuking times are worth the frustration :)

Being a BB player is all about "risk management". If you absolutely need to make a super salvo then you've probably got yourself in too deep (or your team have derped)

• Cool 1

Players
10 posts
696 battles

I can understand it but to be a good bb player you need to over come the frustration, not "expect" your salvo to be awesome and just get used to it. The nuking times are worth the frustration :)

Being a BB player is all about "risk management". If you absolutely need to make a super salvo then you've probably got yourself in too deep (or your team have derped)

Ow I totally understand that, I mean I'm well used to angling my ship and making best use of my repair team and health consumables. It's just extremely annoying that it's not so much about good aiming with BB's and more about luck. I suppose I will just have to put up with the frustration or just play cruisers instead.

Beta Tester
1,198 posts
5,428 battles

So what happens, half the shots go long and half of them fall short. So my aim is good but the game RNG has decided that none of them will hit??

Anyway that's my little rant over with and I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

Battleships are not meant to be able to reliably hit stuff at 20km range, If get closer you will be able to score hits more reliably.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,372 posts
6,025 battles

Hi guys,

I know this has come up over and over again but it is really really driving me nuts now.

The accuracy of battleships guns in the game are diabolical. Now considering how long it takes for a BB to reload every shot counts. So I aim, judge the lead on the target by how fast it is going and fire. Now I never fire a complete salvo. I will always fire and then change slightly in case I've got my lead wrong on the first but keep the elevation the same. So what happens, half the shots go long and half of them fall short. So my aim is good but the game RNG has decided that none of them will hit?? Its turning into pot luck whether you hit the target in a BB now. Yet cruisers can happily pepper you with HE all day because it doesn't really matter whether they aim or not because you are slower and they reload so quickly. I am far from one of those who believes that because I'm in a BB I should be invincible and citadel everything but the RNG is seriously starting to make me think whether I can be bothered playing Battleships any more and just spam HE at everything in a cruiser. I just don't enjoy playing battleships anymore because my efforts in learning how to aim are irrelevant with the RNG gods. I have noticed that there is a distinct lack of BB's in games recently, most people are in destroyers or cruisers.

Start firing full salvoes.

You trying to adjust to create a spread is a waste of time, and if the enemy starts turning when they see the first shells fire then by the time your last shells fire he will be turning and by the time they arrive he won't be there.  Dispersion is perfectly capable of creating a crazy spread without your interfering.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
15,359 posts
11,035 battles

Aiming plays a huge role. The accuracy is just a minor point.

But it looks like you slowly get a hang of it.

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,289 battles

Start firing full salvoes.

You trying to adjust to create a spread is a waste of time, and if the enemy starts turning when they see the first shells fire then by the time your last shells fire he will be turning and by the time they arrive he won't be there.  Dispersion is perfectly capable of creating a crazy spread without your interfering.

Not always though. If the enemy has incoming fire alert, fire one gun, see him commit to a turn, compensate and fire the rest :)

to OP. You kind of have to live with the frustration or not play BBs. I can't cope with the panic feeling in DDs or the rage of missing a torp drop in a CV so I only play cruisers and battleships. RNG I can cope with :)

[SCRUB]
Players
7,573 posts
9,781 battles

RNG giveth and RNG taketh away.

I've had perfectly aimed slavoes land left, right, front and aft of a ship without landing a single hit, and then I've had salvoes when I under- or overestimated a targets speed and only a fraction of shells actually land on target ... triple citadel.

I do agree though that there's too much RNG involved. It can literally make the difference between missing all shells and landing a devastating strike depending on whether the dice rolls in your favour or not. The maximum deviation in results should be less. A well aimed shot should always result in consistent hits. Doesn't mean every shell has to hit all the time and/or do maximum damage, but consistency is sadly lacking within the small sample size that is a single match.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,372 posts
6,025 battles

Not always though. If the enemy has incoming fire alert, fire one gun, see him commit to a turn, compensate and fire the rest :)

People actually use that?  Well, you learn something new every day...

Players
66 posts
881 battles

I don't understand why BBs have bad reload AND bad accuracy. I wouldn't mind a big decrease in damage and something like a 10 sec reload. At least then you could compensate for bad accuracy.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,814 posts
5,688 battles

Personally I'm starting to prefer cruisers simply because I have more control over what I do.

My average damage with BB is not too bad, but I dislike that the way to do more damage is to simply be alive longer so you get more chances.

Having a well aimed salvo splash around the target makes you feel cheated. Especially when the next does the same.

Equally bad is when you fire, enemy turns so you deserve to miss, but a shell goes stray and citadels him. Then you feel cheap for getting a kill you didn't deserve.

Personally I'd like a drop in damage for an increase in accuracy, although I suspect this would make a lot of BB baddies do a lot worse now they don't have RNG to give them a lucky hit.

Players
1 post
1,359 battles

Try this;

When the enemy is focused on an other target than you, give a trial shot first, they won't know where it came from or where to move or probably won't react.

When they are focused on you, go full salvo.

Beta Tester
139 posts
3,403 battles

Just had a speculative salvo in my NC, fully expected to miss.... Nope 3 cits and instakilled an enemy Mogami at 22 km..... normally at 15km this ship will struggle to hit 5 shells....

Edited by blaster1112

[UIF]
Players
370 posts
5,561 battles

YOUR SHOT * RNG = RESULT

If you aim perfectly and RNG decides that you dont get crap, well you wont get crap. END OF STORY. If i wasnt as lazy as i am i would compile some REALLY funny videos from game play, for example today where i missed a BB from 3km, yes 3. I was on Amagi, i was being chased by some US BB and i did a salvo from rare guns from 3 kms. All 4 shots missed. 

AHAHAHAHAHA.

Episodes like that make me think i am really idiot for playing this game, but alas we all have our time killing devices. 

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,289 battles

I use it on my German cruisers. Mostly because I know plunging fire will kill me. I need to know if I'm being sniped. Sometimes I'm "busy" and don't want to worry about dodging for the sake of it. 

And yes. RNG will make you crazy if you let it. So do dice based games. I play a lot of those though so I'm totally used to "RNG". I just see a battleship as a 3+ to hit. 4+ at long range and 6s cause citadels :D (such a geek) 

[SCRUB]
Players
7,573 posts
9,781 battles

I use it on my German cruisers. Mostly because I know plunging fire will kill me. I need to know if I'm being sniped. Sometimes I'm "busy" and don't want to worry about dodging for the sake of it. 

And yes. RNG will make you crazy if you let it. So do dice based games. I play a lot of those though so I'm totally used to "RNG". I just see a battleship as a 3+ to hit. 4+ at long range and 6s cause citadels :D (such a geek) 

Enemy battleship has used 'full broadside'. Roll initiative!

Players
66 posts
881 battles

Enemy cruiser has used cheetos. -5% to reaction time. 

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,465 posts

Yep. I seldom fire ranging shots after seeing people turn in response and make them useless.

>roll 20

>BB citadels you mid-turn anyway

okay.jpg

[TTT]
Players
1,168 posts
9,822 battles

to OP. You kind of have to live with the frustration or not play BBs. I can't cope with the panic feeling in DDs or the rage of missing a torp drop in a CV so I only play cruisers and battleships. RNG I can cope with :)

It's funny how different people are :) When I play a DD I feel like the king of the ocean, the hidden terror. :izmena: On the other hand I feel terror in cruisers... 

Also I don't rage when I miss torp drops, because that's 0 RNG and all me. But when enemy CV detonates a DD in first DB drop of game and my DBs with perfect manual aim on a BB all derp, I get kinda steamy.

[TTT]
Players
1,841 posts
7,390 battles

I don't understand why BBs have bad reload AND bad accuracy. I wouldn't mind a big decrease in damage and something like a 10 sec reload. At least then you could compensate for bad accuracy.

That would be

A) completely unrealistic and

B) would turn battleships into heavier armored versions of heavy cruisers.

Sign in to follow this