You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Redcap375

Wolf Packing Atago (Team Battles)

21 comments in this topic

Players
1,542 posts
6,477 battles

What’s with Atago wolf packing around in Team Battles?

I’ve seen quite a few teams do this recently to good effect. From a CV point-of-view this is deadly. Their aa isn’t to be sniffed at and they can make a squadron out of ship fighters! A seasoned member of our team recognised their clan, tag, whatever you call it and said that they are professionals who haven’t lost a game yet. IF that is true (not calling you a lair m8) their going for the all Atago approach too. They SMASHED us, losing our 6 game winning streak. 

As the furthest I wanna go down the US cruiser line is the Cleveland, I haven’t faced that many of them. The only teir 7 ships I have to qualify me to play Team Battles are the Kiev (plays like a cruiser) and the Hiryu. Always feel guilty playing a tier 7 CV because it handicaps the team right from the word go. But im not buying the Shokaku for the sake of having the top tier in Team Battles (can see though that scheme you having going on WG). Having problems with people wanting to go up the higher tiers? Anyway.

1) What are their weaknesses (Atago)?

2) Has anyone else seen any one ship teams knocking around and how do you counter them?

Comments welcome 

[HEROS]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,581 posts
12,110 battles

It's not Atagos. It's onetrick-pony tactic that relies on very high damage output on certain IJN CA's vs 2 BB teams. You can do the same, although a bit more difficult, with Myokos. There are at least 2 good counter tactics for it. And that team unfortunately lost few games :D We got their social monies!

Edited by Dropsiq
  • Cool 1

[S0F]
Beta Tester
163 posts
6,402 battles

If it's who I think it is they did get beat last night but it seems more and more teams are using the Atago in their setup which is starting to raise that question is this game becoming pay to win? Looking at the stats for tier 8 cruisers, after the nerf to AFT, the top 2 cruisers are the Mikhail Kutuzov and the Atago both premium...

Edited by xeransa
  • Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,328 posts
5,728 battles

What’s with Atago wolf packing around in Team Battles?

I’ve seen quite a few teams do this recently to good effect. From a CV point-of-view this is deadly. Their aa isn’t to be sniffed at and they can make a squadron out of ship fighters! A seasoned member of our team recognised their clan, tag, whatever you call it and said that they are professionals who haven’t lost a game yet. IF that is true (not calling you a lair m8) their going for the all Atago approach too. They SMASHED us, losing our 6 game winning streak. 

As the furthest I wanna go down the US cruiser line is the Cleveland, I haven’t faced that many of them. The only teir 7 ships I have to qualify me to play Team Battles are the Kiev (plays like a cruiser) and the Hiryu. Always feel guilty playing a tier 7 CV because it handicaps the team right from the word go. But im not buying the Shokaku for the sake of having the top tier in Team Battles (can see though that scheme you having going on WG). Having problems with people wanting to go up the higher tiers? Anyway.

1) What are their weaknesses (Atago)?

2) Has anyone else seen any one ship teams knocking around and how do you counter them?

Comments welcome 

Answer to 1: their citadels.

[HEROS]
4,581 posts
12,110 battles

If it's who I think it is they did get beat last night but it seems more and more teams are using the Atago in their setup which is starting to raise that question is this game becoming pay to win? Looking at the stats for tier 8 cruisers, after the nerf to AFT, the top 2 cruisers are the Mikhail Kutuzov and the Atago both premium... 

Like I said, it's not Atago. We did the same stuff yesterday, beating 5200 rating teams, with one Atago and 3 ARP Myokos and Hipper/Kutuzov mixture and some Shokaku flavour. It's 6 CA + 1 CV tactic. And, it's a one trick pony. You will get stomped by it once or twice, but when you figure how to counter this lineup - the limited flexibility is a huge flaw.

Players
1,542 posts
6,477 battles

Thanks ilhilh, you really have a way with words :teethhappy:

Isn’t that a general weakness to most ships (Cleveland’s is the size of a garden pea)? I take it the Atago's is bigger than most then.....Interesting rubbing chin?

• Cool 1

Players
1,542 posts
6,477 battles

The only flexibility I saw was when they were dodging my torps! And they were good at that, a little too good:sceptic:  .It was like a well rehearsed synchronised swimming team full of grace.  That’s when the odd one or two planes got though their one-way-ticket flak they have going on.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,328 posts
5,728 battles

Thanks ilhilh, you really have a way with words :teethhappy:

Isn’t that a general weakness to most ships (Cleveland’s is the size of a garden pea)? I take it the Atago's is bigger than most then.....Interesting rubbing chin?

Yea sorry I was a little flippant, but the fact remains they have a standard IJN citadel i.e. huge.  The heal does help with this so focussed fire becomes more of a 'thing' I guess - you want them to go down and stay down.

Another fatal flaw for the Atago is me captaining it :(

Players
1,542 posts
6,477 battles

So its you ilhilh! Got your number m8..

Thanks for Info.  Wonder what team Atlanta would play like :hmm:...that would be a laugh

Edited by Redcap375

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
2,159 battles

I have the Atago and I take her out from time to time. What ilhilh says above in post 8 is absolutely correct, in that

a) the Atago has a huge citadel; basically the whole middle area beneath the superstructure is one big weakspot if hit from the side, and

b) I sort of suck at driving her.:)

I could add another thing as well, which is a trait rather than a weakness, namely

c) a rather large turning circle. The ship is really long and although she has a decent rudder shift as far as I remember, it feels like I am circumnavigating the globe whenever I do a full turn. This has made me eat the odd torpedo or run into the odd island I would otherwise have dodged. I believe this could be useful to know if you run into her; especially if you happen to find her in the proverbial narrow straits.

I honestly wouldn't call the Atago overpowered. She is well-rounded with no major weaknesses, but she needs a skilled captain to truly shine. A team composed of such captains would likely rule the seas in most ships at a given tier.

Edited by Procrastes

Supertest Coordinator
6,336 posts
4,250 battles

Ah the team build meta. This is what I was looking forward to in team battles. Reminds me very much of the list building you do in tabletop Wargames.

Sadly I haven't managed a team game yet so I can't give advice.

I am wondering if a bb + DD build would counter the ca wolf pack. DD used to spot and harass with torps while BBs attempt to wreck the cruisers, who ought not to be able to close.

As for atago, it's simply the best tier 8 cruiser all round - which is ideal for this meta. 

[HEROS]
4,581 posts
12,110 battles

I am wondering if a bb + DD build would counter the ca wolf pack. DD used to spot and harass with torps while BBs attempt to wreck the cruisers, who ought not to be able to close

Pretty close :D Not exactly there, but pretty close.

[10GO]
[10GO]
Players
40 posts
9,498 battles

I honestly wouldn't call the Atago overpowered. She is well-rounded with no major weaknesses, but she needs a skilled captain to truly shine. A team composed of such captains would likely rule the seas in most ships at a given tier.

Actualy she doesnt need a skilled captain to shine, just someone that knows how to angle and when to engage.

As you said, having a team consist of ships without major weaknesses makes it impossible to use setups that are supossed to exploit weaknesses. 

It only becomes worse and worse the more Atagos there are and the only ship that is even worse in huge numbers is the MK, 7 of these kill any strategie, any setup and any plan you have making teambattles a failure.

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
2,159 battles

Well, it is certainly true that the gameplay suffers whenever a certain ship gains total dominance in the lists. I remember battles in WoT where more than half of each team consisted of T18:s; that was weird. And I've heard rumours of some kind of 'Tirpitz infestation' in WoWs a couple of months ago; I must have missed that.

'Seven Kutuzovs'... that sounds like a promising movie title, but a bad game experience.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,256 posts
11,689 battles

Well, I think there are quite a few ways to counter it - the funny thing is you don't know what you're up against before you queue up. A lot of setups are very map-specific, so you need to go for the best allrounder-setup you can think of to win as many battles as possible. So I think adding some spice to the usual meta we're seeing right now is a good thing - and the trolling factor of 6 ARP Myokos + CV is unbeatable :P

[OMNI]
[OMNI]
Players
908 posts
10,097 battles

I love to set the meta

Beating us right now is fine we didnt reach our final form

• Cool 2

[OMNI]
[OMNI]
Players
908 posts
10,097 battles

OBJECTION! We did it first :D Proof!

http://www.twitch.tv/papedipupi/v/5006 

We are doing it for days now with several teams

Case Closed

Besides that im not clicking links that include this name :rolleyes:

Edited by _FTD_

[HEROS]
4,581 posts
12,110 battles

Ha, Then you would know you were still playing serious comps back then! The date was 24.02

Objection overruled, cased closed, check mate etc.

btw. we still have this 2:2 issue to resolve, not mentioning social monies and stuff. Hope to see you soon on the battlefield!