DukeY89

Myoko Advise needed.

14 comments in this topic

[404]
Beta Tester
3 posts
1,949 battles

hey peeps. 

i'm in dire need of advise on how to drive the myoko and later tier IJN cruisers. 

i love the japanese cruisers, beautiful ships, wicked guns, and the handling and speed i enjoy.

however, i'm really suffering in the myoko. so much so i only play it for the x2 and to stay ahead of friends. 

i have two major issues:

1. damage. i can't output nearly enough damage in the myoko. my average game normally has me hitting and damaging ships less than 30 times in a game. with 20k -30k damage with both AP HE used in the usual circumstances.

the guns don't seem to fire fast enough, they're rarely pointing in the right direction and i'm probably not accurate enough with my shooting.

2. The Citadel. Jesus christ the Citadel  gets penned every match, now i'm no great player, but i smart enough not to sail side on to enemies. i'm also the twisty turney kind of player who wiggles their [edited]when there running from enemy ships. however battleships readily pen my citadel from the front and back. and the amount of shells that plunge down into it whilst i've been fleeing just makes me cry a little inside. 

so i have a few questions for those experienced players amongst us/

1. How do you normally play the Myoko? (positioning) (playstyle) 

2. how do i improve my damage output? 

3. how do i hide my citadel better? 

4. any other tips and hints. 

[-TNT-]
Beta Tester
476 posts
6,143 battles

Hi there is a lot of threads about myoko so read them. 

Kepp distance from BBs, plan forward, stick with team, use HE most of the time, dont show broadside even slightly, turn against incoming shells if possible (is more efectivethen opposite)

Cheers:-)

• Cool 1

[_FK_]
Players
31 posts
3,129 battles

Personally love playing Myoko, a great all-rounder . Works great both in a fleet and on her own :B. Biggest problem people have with her are, as you have pointed it out, turret rotation/placement and armor. With Myoko, you kinda have to plan your approaches to usual places where skirmishing starts and how you disengage. The moment you decide, I'm doing a 180 degree turn here, you have to start turning your turrets. When firing, treat it like a BB: unshadow your rear guns, fire full salvo, minimize your profile, rinse and repeat. Myoko works best if you are moving away from your opponents due to having 3 rear facing turrets. If you are being chased by cruisers , your torpedoes are a great defensive weapon (fire them when your target is 11-12km away). Even if your target dodges them, it might force him to show his broadside or a the very least, slow him down. 

When engaging BBs, it is optimal to position yourself 14-15km away, keep that distance, and rain HE. Myoko can drop 6-7k salvos if aimed well. If you are being fired upon, natural way of dodging is to turn either towards or away from incoming fire, depending which way will present a smaller profile. My way of dodging is to immediately cut throttle (can't stress enough how important throttle management is) and turn into incoming fire. Your front end is quite long and this way most of the shells go over your front turrets and splash on the other side. Not a fan of turning away from incoming fire. If you fell confident enough, Myoko has enough armor to go bow on against a BB (tried it even against tier IX BBs ). Keep pointing your nose towards a BB and swing out your rear while your opponent reloads so the rest of your turrets can fire. Ofc it won't work 100% of the time, and you might take a citadel hit through your bow, but the armor is reliable enough to allow a more aggressive play. If you are particularly ballsy, you can try a drive by and torp your target, but that is extremely risky. Against Cruisers, again use HE unless they show a flat enough angle to citadel them. Against DDs, if you have trouble hitting them when firing full salvos, try sequential fire.

If at any time you feel overwhelmed, try to get over your spotting distance and stop firing. After a few moments, your opponents will lose sight of you so you can safely run away or position yourself better. For skills, expert marksmen is crucial, and incoming fire helps a lot with dodging BB salvos

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
165 posts
8,995 battles

1. open sea combat in squadrons, use your allies and help them

2 fire HE and switch too AP vs cruiser, you can destroy a cruiser in 2 volleys if you're good/lucky

3 avoid enemy BB and sail TOWARDS enemy cruisers

4 your main advantage is that your gun other than moving slow has no real disadvantages, they do good dmg and their range and time to impact is great, you can citadel enemy cruisers at extrem range and at medium range you are a serius threat to destroyers, your main disadvantage lies vs BB who will make your life hell.

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Beta Tester
476 posts
6,143 battles

Captain: Situational awarness, expert marksman, vigilance, demolition expert, concealment expert.

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,403 posts

Personally I find the armour to be perfectly acceptable, if not quite good for a cruiser. The gun angles and rotation speed can be annoying, but this is Myoko's only shortcoming imo; she's got everything else. Use half-rudder turns (press Q/E) and with Expert Marksman you can just about keep the guns on-target while turning without needing the traverse speed upgrade that reduces rate of fire.

Players
123 posts
1,169 battles

Hi there is a lot of threads about myoko so read them. 

Kepp distance from BBs, plan forward, stick with team, use HE most of the time, dont show broadside even slightly, turn against incoming shells if possible (is more efectivethen opposite)

Cheers:-)

Use HE most of the time? You have 10 203mm guns that could even potentially cit a BB at close range! 

My advice (ive only just started to play the Myoko) is to stay at max range and get the accuracy upgrade. The max dispersion at max range is not bad and you outrange most USN BB's. Just make sure to stay away from IJN BB and German cruisers because they outrange you! Other then that, just fire HE at BB at max range, fire AP at cruisers at any distance and fire HE at DD's. One good volley of HE shells is enough to kill a DD btw. You do loads of dmg! 

As on how to avoid damage... this is a bit more tricky for myself. I know full well what I'm doing wrong, though! 

I am in a fast ship so I am usually the first one that gets spotted by the enemy team, attracting most fire. I also sometimes suffer from tunnel-vision which also gets me killed. If I stay behind friendly cruisers and BB I usually stay alive longer. Just give the enemy some other things to shoot at.

Set a ship on fire, move to the next target, set on fire, move back to the first target to check if they extinguished it and if so, set them on fire again! = WIN! 

[LEOND]
Players
144 posts
3,036 battles

One thing I noticed that helps is using the hull itself to aim your guns.

Hmm that doesn't make sense but I guess what I mean is play it a bit like a big battleship. Ignore the torpedoes, you wont need them, ever and if you do, you either planned it or you are running away. The ship actually has an easier time projecting its firepower behind it than it does forward as well, so maybe consider that.

Whatever you do, try not to show your huge, long broadside to anything.

Edited by Ziddix

Players
260 posts
6,071 battles

Your probably already running it but if not situational awareness as your tier 1 captain skill is a must, knowing when your spotted will not only alert you to the fact there is an enemy DD close but will also tell you that you need to start turning (certainly early game) as the likelihood is there will be incoming fire on its way.

Beyond that concealment is reasonable for a cruiser (12.7 I think) if you find yourself being focussed stop firing, if there are no ships within your concealment range you'll disappear after 20 seconds meaning the enemy will focus someone else......relocate a little and start firing again....'course you need situational awareness for this as well.

[POP]
Players
167 posts
3,203 battles

Don't upgrade from the Aoba, I really can't like the Myoko - feels like a diarrhea turd compared to the awesome of the Aoba :(

Myoko was bit of a shocker after Aoba, slow turning turrets and rudder shift felt terrible. However once I got used to it I now deal often over 60k damage per match. Turret layout is excellent for both closing in and retreating fighting. APs can pierce BBs broadside, HE shells cause plenty of fires. Armor is good as well, torpedoes are a nice bonus. It is simply an outstanding ship.

I usually try to position myself so that enemy has more tempting targets and I get to shoot full broadsides. Once I get focused I maneuver to evade the incoming fire, back off a little bit, at best case go undetected and then start all over again.

Edited by makhot
  • Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Beta Tester
476 posts
6,143 battles

IJN cruisers were built just for surprise attack. Close enemy undetected launch torps and fire full broadside them run away. She is fast, excelent rudder shift time, relative good concealment and a lot of fire power.

Sign in to follow this