Aotearas

New York ... why?!

57 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

This ship, sooo urrgh.

Horribly slow, low range, AA is nothing to write home about, the mid turret might aswell not exist if you value your precious citadels and dear lord what's up with that armour? On paper this things actually looks like it's supposed to have decent protection but I keep getting citadelled through the bow (as in I'm at almost 90° angle bow-on and still I take huge damage hits from front).

This ship isn't half bad once you get close enough to the enemy, but how are you supposed to get there? 21 knots max speed, the thing accelerates like a slug on glue, bleeds a good chunk of speed when turning (helpful for evading torpedoes, but that's it), if you get a big map like Hotspot and/or if the enemy decides to kite you, you can spend entire matches hardly ever getting something to fire at ...... the frustration, that nagging feeling of helplessness.

How do I make this work, aside from hoping for small maps and lucky spawns?

[PK11]
Beta Tester
618 posts
9,995 battles

My aim at it was: Endure the NY until you get the New Mexico, sell that damn beast and never look back.

To extend firing range with upgrade #2 might help as well.

[DANG]
Players
28 posts
2,247 battles

I found the NY reasonably good, certainly much better than the Wyoming (especially with the range upgrade)

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

I purchased USS New York on December 7th 2015, because there was a sale of tier 5 ships (and some other tiers also, I believe). The discount was 30% IIRC.

She is still sitting in port without a captain, and I have never played her in battle. (I did the BB challenges for the "Kamikaze R" project in the Japanese battleship "Kongo.")

You have to be smart to play battleships, and think several moves ahead - which isn't my strength.:(

Since I may give the USS New York a go in the future, I shall bookmark this thread for useful tips.:honoring:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

I purchased USS New York on December 7th 2015, because there was a sale of tier 5 ships (and some other tiers also, I believe). The discount was 30% IIRC.

She is still sitting in port without a captain, and I have never played her in battle. (I did the BB challenges for the "Kamikaze R" project in the Japanese battleship "Kongo.")

You have to be smart to play battleships, and think several moves ahead - which isn't my strength.:(

Since I may give the USS New York a go in the future, I shall bookmark this thread for useful tips.:honoring:

Playing battleships in general isn't a problem for me. I'm pretty decent at it I think. Currently greatly enjoying the Fusou and having nonstop great games in her. And the Kongou was just as much a beauty to play with.

But the New York just has so many sides that don't perform well that it comes together in a bundle of suck. I enjoyed the Wyoming a lot more, though I also tended to get the smaller maps with that ship (Solomon Islands, Big Race, Straits). When I get a nice small map like that with the new York, she works too. Quite well in fact if I don't herp-a-derp ... but I hardly ever get these kinds of maps anymore. Maybe it's just bad luck with the map selection and will change comes time, though I'm afraid I'm not much motivated in finding out.

The combination of low range and slow speed is just so frustrating. Sailing behind the lines and never getting to really fight because everything's faster than you and constantly out of range is agonizing.

As for New York tips for whenever you want to undust her in port:

Facing forwards, you only have four turrets. Not five. The one midships doesn't exist (you need to turn nearly broadside on to get that turret to bear on a target in front of you)!

Edited by Aotearas

[SCRUB]
Players
2,654 posts
9,494 battles

I love the New York and while heresy I think she might be even better than mighty Kongo _close up_  (that is <13 km)

That middle turret is a "kill me now" sign for everyone if you use it, but can still be fired occasionally at some random target while angling against the primary threat.

The armor on that thing is strong as [edited]! Angled its simply working, true you are not a fortress like NM but that ship is ahead of you for a reason. If you have to turn, like T-Bombers coming for you, you still take like 10k from multiple shell hits on the broadside .... but thats exactly the thing: thats preferential to take 1 or 2 citadels + some shell hits - like Kongo does!

range: get the range module! With it its more than enough since your cammo is great and you shouldnt sit at 20 km lobbing some random shells ....

speed: yeah certainly no battlecruiser, but up and including T 7 only Kongo is really fast (while at the same time not a pos like Myogi/or a premium). T8 is the point at which all BB are more or less "fast"; and honestly: I dont feel such a strong disadvantage with 21 kn compared to 24 kn ships.

Aside from speed you turn better and tighter, a big advantage against any torpedo; no matter if ship or plane based.

I played that ship way back in .... dunno October? before BBs where so horrendously overpowered against cruiser and it could still wreck stuff back then. Those 31 games were actually fun, compared to some atrocious grind like T2-4 german CLs were - for example. 

Only thing to worry about is the OP-erator .... that thing is OP and p2w, but you know flag and price tag are granting immunity from "common sense" or "balancing".

If anything fails we division up again for your NY grind and I keep telling you how great the New York is while driving a ARP Kongo next to you. :trollface: ( since I sold my New York for the New Mexico - that thing is pure ship pr0n). 

Although, as you know, divisioning up with me has the side effect of severe exposure to large amounts of salt in TS when the rest of our team plays like beheaded chickens. :rolleyes::bajan:

€: And get the first hull upgrade at all costs! It gets you better AP shells that actually can pen stuff! 

I remember whoring that XP in co-op since I wanted to save up free-xp. Bad mistake. Couldnt citadell a beached broadside and stock! Myogi from < 1 km with all shells on target. :fishpalm:

Edited by havaduck
  • Cool 1

Players
74 posts

I actually quite liked my New York. It is not a bad ship but yes if you are unlucky u can get citadels through your bow. Reason being is that while you have great armour around your citadel, your bow and stern are less heavily armoured.

Tip: don't put your nose directly against the enemy but be more like 20-40 degrees in to him. You will greatly reduce the citadel chance and bounce more shells.

Also if you get into a position where you have all your guns to bear don't be afraid to ripple fire if you are unsure of enemy ship speed or he is manoeuvring alot.

Getting into range can be tricky and really relies on predicting what the enemy is likely to do.

When you get to the North Carolina it starts getting alot more fun as you can react alot more to the enemies decisions and have the range to be able to shoot most things. That being said you shouldn't sit back and snipe as it's guns aren't very accurate from extreme ranges.

Good luck on grinding :great:

Players
49 posts
1,288 battles

Well I enjoy playing the New York.....when playing against same teir or tier 6 cruisers or low tier BB's it's citadel city on them!

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

Well, we did the experiment and it's indeed the matchmaking that's been screwing me over. Not that the later matchmaking helped, with three New Mexicos against two New Yorks and a Kongou ... but at least we had some matches that went well and we could play this thing to its strengths, which is quite fun when it works.

Still getting citadeled through an angled (~30°) front by Colorados all day though.

Players
2,743 posts
15,597 battles

new york is a good(or okis but certainly not a bad) ship

i enjoyed her, if speed is an issue you wont have much fun with the us line till the high tiers.

at medium ranges its pretty accurate and has a lot ofguns not the worst thing to have....

Players
74 posts

Well, we did the experiment and it's indeed the matchmaking that's been screwing me over. Not that the later matchmaking helped, with three New Mexicos against two New Yorks and a Kongou ... but at least we had some matches that went well and we could play this thing to its strengths, which is quite fun when it works.

Still getting citadeled through an angled (~30°) front by Colorados all day though.

You can't expect to bounce Colorado shells that easily as it has higher calibre guns that the armour of the New York wasn't designed to handle and he is 2 tiers higher than you.

Against T5 & T6 the armour is pretty decent.  

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

You can't expect to bounce Colorado shells that easily as it has higher calibre guns that the armour of the New York wasn't designed to handle and he is 2 tiers higher than you.

Against T5 & T6 the armour is pretty decent.  

Also been getting citadeled through the front by New Mexicos too.

19mm bow armour are overmatched by any BB caliber gun, but I would've thought the citadel at such angles would be resilient enough, or is the armour laid out in a way that gives a flat angle if you present your bow?

I need that armour scheme viewer ...

Edited by Aotearas

Players
1,008 posts

I quite like my New York (doesnt mean I am any good in it). Unusually for me, its one ship I didnt sell to get the next one.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,236 battles

I ignored BBs "Except for a few battled in HMS Warspite" for an age and just started grinding them late last year.  I'm finding them easier to play than expected.   With all flags and doubles used to aid the grind I managed to get through the new York in 18 games of which I won 12... If this salty scrublord can, so can you.

Edited by Erinaceus_europaeus

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

Well, I'm not doing too bad either:

It's just that I'm underwhelmed by the performance and it's entirely not what I expected the New York to play like. There seems to be no real facet to the New York that would offset the various disadvantages it has compared to the Kongou.

Edited by Aotearas

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,236 battles

Ballpark with mine except your kill ratio is better.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,965 battles

I found my stint in the New York very enjoyable.

16 battles to get to the New Mexico, finishing at 81% win rate, 60k avg damage, 1.5 avg ship kills/battle, 1.3 avg plane kills/battle and 69% survival rate.

Those guns on her are beastly and have that pleasant low trajectory of the previous US BBs. The low range just removes the ability to fire those pointless long range shots and focus on getting into actual effective gun range.

The armor was also more than adequate in my opinion. But it might have helped that I went up the IJN BB line first, where you have to angle all the time or you're gone.

• Cool 1

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

16 battles to get to the New Mexico, finishing at 81% win rate, 60k avg damage, 1.5 avg ship kills/battle, 1.3 avg plane kills/battle and 69% survival rate.

Those guns on her are beastly and have that pleasant low trajectory of the previous US BBs. The low range just removes the ability to fire those pointless long range shots and focus on getting into actual effective gun range.

The armor was also more than adequate in my opinion. But it might have helped that I went up the IJN BB line first, where you have to angle all the time or you're gone.

Well, if you don't mind me paying you a compliment I would say that your impressive skills had a lot to do with your success. :honoring:

Before New York, you played Wyoming, also with very impressive results. A 71% win rate, 44.5k avg damage, 1.4 avg ship kills/battle, 0.9 avg plane kills/battle and 43% survival rate. So I don't think that it is surprising that you were able to use your (IMHO) well above average ability in playing BBs in both ships.

However for those of us with more "average" skills the prospect is different. I was a very bad Wyoming player. My stats are shameful. A 41% win rate, 23k avg damage, 0.4 avg ship kills/battle, 0.4 avg plane kills/battle and 33% survival rate. It was a god-awful grind (and I used free xp for the last 7-8k of it) which I am not anxious to repeat.

"But it might have helped that I went up the IJN BB line first, where you have to angle all the time or you're gone." This sounds like excellent advice. :honoring:
I have completed the grind in Kongo (as a by-product of doing the BB missions for the Kamikaze R challenge). I was more effective in that ship (52% win rate and 36k avg damage), but still didn't enjoy the "all or nothing" element of the play.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,236 battles

Well, if you don't mind me paying you a compliment I would say that your impressive skills had a lot to do with your success. :honoring:

Before New York, you played Wyoming, also with very impressive results. A 71% win rate, 44.5k avg damage, 1.4 avg ship kills/battle, 0.9 avg plane kills/battle and 43% survival rate. So I don't think that it is surprising that you were able to use your (IMHO) well above average ability in playing BBs in both ships.

However for those of us with more "average" skills the prospect is different. I was a very bad Wyoming player. My stats are shameful. A 41% win rate, 23k avg damage, 0.4 avg ship kills/battle, 0.4 avg plane kills/battle and 33% survival rate. It was a god-awful grind (and I used free xp for the last 7-8k of it) which I am not anxious to repeat.

"But it might have helped that I went up the IJN BB line first, where you have to angle all the time or you're gone." This sounds like excellent advice. :honoring:
I have completed the grind in Kongo (as a by-product of doing the BB missions for the Kamikaze R challenge). I was more effective in that ship (52% win rate and 36k avg damage), but still didn't enjoy the "all or nothing" element of the play.

Generally I'm not a big fan of BBs despite my results in the Nikolai, HMS Warspite and New York.  I prefer them more than cruisers mind you.  After you've played BBs and had any success you feel a cruiser is there to be one-salvoed by any BB that can land a hit.

Give me my DDs.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

By any chance, do you run premium?

Because I don't see how one could grind through ~55k XP from a stock New York (less if you free XP'ed the hull) to the New Mexico in just 16 battles on a standard account. Or did you grind through it during a special event that granted XP boni?

I'm currently at 27 games played in her, yet still ~30k XP away from the New Mexico (didn't use free XP) and I don't think I perform notably bad.

I also started the IJN BB line (well, technically I started both at the same time, but I focused more on the IJN line) so I know how to angle, yet even so I take massive damage through the front and not just when MM puts me up against the occasional Colorado/Nagato with their 406/410mm guns. I've been getting my bow punched in by New Mexicos, 15k damage hits from a single turret shot (which would be consistent with one citadel and a normal penetration and I know it was only one turret because one match when it happened I had destroyed the other turret and he was steering straight away from me, so he could only bring one turret to bear) even when I angled myself heavily against the ship (practically bow-on).

That is my primary concern about the New York, if it had such good armour to make it a good brawler I wouldn't mind trading speed and range compared to the Kongou, but it's armour has been consistently failing to meet my expectation and I simply don't know why as on paper it should do better ...

Players
15 posts
1,294 battles

I don't like this ship either but I guess I need to give her more time... not that many battles fought.

Kongo has better speed which I like, if scene of the battle changes and I need to relocate my ship to other side of the map its very slow to do with New York.

Kongo compared to New York:

ObXQb8u.jpg

Edited by Nahkis_

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,965 battles

By any chance, do you run premium?

Because I don't see how one could grind through ~55k XP from a stock New York (less if you free XP'ed the hull) to the New Mexico in just 16 battles on a standard account. Or did you grind through it during a special event that granted XP boni?

I'm currently at 27 games played in her, yet still ~30k XP away from the New Mexico (didn't use free XP) and I don't think I perform notably bad.

Average XP/battle is 1899 so with daily bonus and the occasional signal it makes sense. I'm pretty certain I didn't free XP anything.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

Average XP/battle is 1899 so with daily bonus and the occasional signal it makes sense. I'm pretty certain I didn't free XP anything.

Don't premium and other XP modifiers go into the average XP in WoWS' statistics engine too?

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,965 battles

Don't premium and other XP modifiers go into the average XP in WoWS' statistics engine too?

Premium and the victory bonus does, but no other bonus is included like: daily victory, signal, camo etc.