Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Henning77

Are you insane...

40 comments in this topic

[APF]
Players
94 posts

Just had a game,where my team got two kawachi's, enemy team NM and Fuso.

IF you do continue this very unfair MM, people will stop playing this game.

Needless to say we lost the game................

I'm getting real tired of this crap........

shot-16.02.29_01.45.21-0747.jpg

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,517 battles

Fail division.

If you team up in a division, matchmaking will sort you by the highest tier ship. The reason for that is that you don't want a bunch of tier 2 ships teaming up with a tier 5 battleship and then have said tier 5 battleship run rampant in a tier 2 game for example.

So if two tier 3 battleships join a division with a tier 4 cruiser, they can see the maximum matchmaking the tier 4 cruiser can get into, which is tier 6. That's not matchmaking making a mistake, that's the players derping hard and possibly having no idea how matchmaking works.

Why WG still didn't limit divisions to same tier ships only is another question.

Also, to be entirely fair there seems to be a bug ingame that will sometimes switch ships in port immediately after a match and if you immediately ready up again without checking, you can find yourself playing the wrong ship (and tier). Had that happen a two days ago I think when instead of a New Mexico, my division mate (I think it was havaduck though I'm not sure) entered the game in the Colorado instead and my Fusou suddenly was thrown into a tier 9 match. Then back in port his ship had switched to a destroyer (which thankfully was easy to spot and confirmed it was a bug and not just a msitake).

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
773 posts
7,411 battles

Should crap division composition be rewarded by putting them in a t4 game to suit their highest member?

Unfortunately not, as it would encourage advise of the mm.

You had two fail tons in one team, it was unlucky but not the fault of the mm. Rather, the fault of those players.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
773 posts
7,411 battles

Fail division.

If you team up in a division, matchmaking will sort you by the highest tier ship. The reason for that is that you don't want a bunch of tier 2 ships teaming up with a tier 5 battleship and then have said tier 5 battleship run rampant in a tier 2 game for example.

So if two tier 3 battleships join a division with a tier 4 cruiser, they can see the maximum matchmaking the tier 4 cruiser can get into, which is tier 6. That's not matchmaking making a mistake, that's the players derping hard and possibly having no idea how matchmaking works.

Why WG still didn't limit divisions to same tier ships only is another question.

Also, to be entirely fair there seems to be a bug ingame that will sometimes switch ships in port immediately after a match and if you immediately ready up again without checking, you can find yourself playing the wrong ship (and tier). Had that happen a two days ago I think when instead of a New Mexico, my division mate (I think it was havaduck though I'm not sure) entered the game in the Colorado instead and my Fusou suddenly was thrown into a tier 9 match. Then back in port his ship had switched to a destroyer (which thankfully was easy to spot and confirmed it was a bug and not just a msitake).

Usually it's whatever ship he was spinning prior to going into match.

Port just takes you back to it.

[S03G]
Players
49 posts
10,153 battles

Had a match like that myself,  saw our two kawachis, supported by a phoenix I think heading south and went with them to give support and hopefully time to get into range, unwisely spent two rounds firing on enemy in binocular view before looking at map and seeing they had decided to retreat leaving me to fight half the enemy team by myself.. funnily enough that ended badly for me...

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,517 battles

Usually it's whatever ship he was spinning prior to going into match.

Port just takes you back to it.

Yeah, but that wasn't what happened. First we thought he had just selected the wrong ship because we were checking the Colorado specs as we talked about it. But later it happened again and the ship selected in port after the match was a destroyer according to what he said. It would've been easy to miss the visual difference between a New Mexico and a Colorado, but the destroyer obviously looks vastly different which is why he noticed it right away.

At least that's what he told me via Teamspeak.

[APF]
Players
94 posts

Well so we lost thanks to three idiots..................

But my opinion is that the MM needs revamp anyway.

Many times in my Myoko I have had Izumo as enemy......

Its not funny at all.

Well a man can dream....I hope.

Players
453 posts

But my opinion is that the MM needs revamp anyway.

Many times in my Myoko I have had Izumo as enemy......

Its not funny at all.

Well a man can dream....I hope.

Myoko is tier 7, Izumo is tier 9. Within matchmaking range. Working as intended.

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles

You had two fail tons in one team, it was unlucky but not the fault of the mm. Rather, the fault of those players.

Ultimately fail divisions are the fault of WG. With a lot of players in an online game, the only rule is statistics - and statistics dictate that idiots will happen. It's up to WG to limit the damage of idiots (or simply unfortunate people who mis-click or misunderstand).

It is nothing short of amazing how WG have insisted on allowing this to devastate teams for several years.

Edited by Tubit101

[TTT]
Supertester
3,637 posts
13,492 battles

Ultimately fail divisions are the fault of WG. With a lot of players in an online game, the only rule is statistics - and statistics dictate that idiots will happen. It's up to WG to limit the damage of idiots (or simply unfortunate people who mis-click or misunderstand).

It is nothing short of amazing how WG have insisted on allowing this to devastate teams for several years.

It tends to even out. For every fail team you get, you get a game where the other side has one, too. When I notice one, it rarely seems to have that much impact anyway. Sure, you can a lose a game, but more often than not the fail division is just part of the reason why my side lost.
  • Cool 1

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles

It tends to even out. For every fail team you get, you get a game where the other side has one, too. When I notice one, it rarely seems to have that much impact anyway. Sure, you can a lose a game, but more often than not the fail division is just part of the reason why my side lost.

But whyyyy... Why WG? WHY YOU DO THIS? :izmena:

To be honest, I prefer even matches, they are more fun.

[TTT]
Supertester
3,637 posts
13,492 battles

But whyyyy... Why WG? WHY YOU DO THIS? :izmena:

To be honest, I prefer even matches, they are more fun.

To be honest, I prefer games where I'm top tier and only have to fight one enemy CV. However, playing as CV kinda tends to make you play with 4 CVs in total per match for some reason....

Bottom line: You rarely get what you want.

Beta Tester
847 posts

fail divisioning is very casual in low tier. But once you say something you get reported from the division. 

Players
165 posts
4,729 battles

I saw similar division yesterday. 2X Kawachi+Omaha, IIRC. Game (tier 7) was quite close, because Kawachi has to push due to short range :)

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,113 posts
18,134 battles

so, lemme ask one question plz:

what u guys consider to be a fail division? i ask 'cause imo it should be fine to team within a one-tier-range (like in the op's example). bad luck on that one for sure, but i'd blame it on the kakwachi being no match to anything in that particular case lol.

or is it false on lower tiers and ok on higher tiers? or the other way round? or just not "fail" if on the same tier?

on a sidenote: in the example, squad "a" on fail-side could have been swapped onto the other side, or am i wrong? mm is a joke many times indeed, so in the end: who's to blame, mm or division?

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

what u guys consider to be a fail division? i ask 'cause imo it should be fine to team within a one-tier-range (like in the op's example). bad luck on that one for sure, but i'd blame it on the kakwachi being no match to anything in that particular case lol.

or is it false on lower tiers and ok on higher tiers? or the other way round? or just not "fail" if on the same tier?

on a sidenote: in the example, squad "a" on fail-side could have been swapped onto the other side, or am i wrong? mm is a joke many times indeed, so in the end: who's to blame, mm or division?

Was looking for the last answer from a dev regarding how the MM works (was somewhere in context with Team battles)

Ok here's my POV on the top 3 priorities the MM has, with the +2 Tier maximum in mind:

- Queue time plays a very big role in all aspects of putting together matches. It is supposed to be as short as possible (CV mirroring is the only exception here, since it's a hardcoded rule)

- 3-ship-Divisions have a very high priority in terms of trying to "balance" matches. MM tries to mirror 3-ship-divisions at all costs 

- Battleweight system. +/- 10% in terms of Battleweight per Team

Some other aspects one should know:

- Some ships have a restricted MM. For example Tier 3+4 Battleships have a +1 MM. Same goes for some Premiums like Yubari or Aurora.

- Divisions are matched according to the highest Tier. So a division of T8,7,7 can be matched with a T10,10,10  and MM would be happy that he successfully mirrored a 3-ship-division.

- 2 -ship- divisions have the same mechanics but the priority to mirror those is not very high.

With these points in mind you could actually answer the question, what a fail division is, for yourself.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,343 posts
14,943 battles

Should crap division composition be rewarded by putting them in a t4 game to suit their highest member?

Unfortunately not, as it would encourage advise of the mm.

Its Wargamings Biggest fail in my opinion and just about the simplest to fix!! 

Make Divisions/Platoons Have to be same tier...... Period!

Ok in tanks its a little more complicated as light tanks get +3 MM instead of +2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,343 posts
14,943 battles

It would be nice if MM tried to balance divisions next. It doesn't and should.

I think they tried it in tanks but it put huge overhead on match maker....

[ST-EU]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
1,902 posts
3,681 battles

Its Wargamings Biggest fail in my opinion and just about the simplest to fix!! 

Make Divisions/Platoons Have to be same tier...... Period!

Ok in tanks its a little more complicated as light tanks get +3 MM instead of +2

Same happens here, The mighty Ark and Yubari only see tier 5s tops I think. 

Beta Tester
847 posts

what u guys consider to be a fail division? i ask 'cause imo it should be fine to team within a one-tier-range (like in the op's example).

Except that it has not a one tier range. Kawachi has T III and T IV range, Karlsruhe  T IV, V and VI. Good luck against New Mexicos or Clevelands in Kawachi.
Edited by N00b32

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

It's still total MM fail when enemy team doesn't even have a single tier IV ship but more like Tier V+½ team with those BBs.

(and also only torpedo boats which could counter those BBs)

- 3-ship-Divisions have a very high priority in terms of trying to "balance" matches. MM tries to mirror 3-ship-divisions at all costs

Hence enemy team getting division of New York, Fuso and Zuiho?

I've yet to see a single proof that MM gives a damn about balancing divisions between teams.

[SCRUB]
Players
581 posts
3,759 battles

Generally, I consider any division with different tier ships as a fail. There may be some exceptions to this rule. But it is very debatable on many points and subject for another discussion. As a rule pf thumb, always have same tier ships in a division...

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,343 posts
14,943 battles

Same happens here, The mighty Ark and Yubari only see tier 5s tops I think. 

I  think the only Pref MM ships are 

Arkansas Beta +1

Awaki Alpha +1

Aurora +0

and Maybe Mikasa +0

But its very few ships so same tier would go a LONG way to fixing the issue. In tanks Almost 1/4 of all tanks in game have +3 MM

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

Hence enemy team getting division of New York, Fuso and Zuiho?

I've yet to see a single proof that MM gives a damn about balancing divisions between teams.

Scroll your screenshots, I know you have lots ;-P  , and tell me I am wrong regarding 3-ship-divisions.

As I said: my POV, and especially in higher tiers it often f§$§ up and gives you 8 vs 8 or 12 vs 10 battles at primetime.

Sign in to follow this