544 posts
8,701 battles

Bad stuff:

• Its a ship that can be easely citadels by all cept for CVs at same tiers;
  • Has the famous horrible turret traverse(for the 155mm);
  • Lowest range of fire at his class/tiers;
  • 203 mm Guns are a shame on this boat;
  • It can be detected before it can do anything by enemy DDs/planes/Cvs;
  • Almost none commander beneficial after the 5.3 patch...

Good stuff:

• Not bad Camouflage for some occasions;
  • Not bad fire rate from the 155mm, plus good fire ignition;
  • Torpedos;
  • Good Maneuverability.

This Ship is getting from godness Ship to a rubish ship recently, its getting nerfed by the Dev without noticing it honestly... it got her nerfs because she needed, also moved up from tiers naturaly. But this last patch totaly got her wasted honestly and my betts are DEv dont know about it, until it was late?

Any ways a rebalanced or a rework on this ship did be nice honestly, just improving her turret(155mm) rotation or increasing siddle her range same way you increased the premium Russian Cruiser Range, dunno why Mogami was not put same boat was that russian any ways Pay to win comes first i guess, and people want their money well wasted?

Either way moving on, if you gonna change stuff for example the commanders with ultimatly changes some game play for some diferent tiers/boats, you need to take consideration and validate the boats that gets effected by it, with was always the case on WG Dev team problem, and i mean always even on Wot...but not gonna pull that over here.

Resuming on each big patch with Dev changes something big, mogami is getting far away to nerfed for a tiers 8, and this is due the side nerfs....so freaking sad.

Edited by Crusherheads
  • Cool 1

[DSW]
Players
3,794 posts
7,746 battles

it was a deliberate nerf of an overperforming (in the eyes of the devs, I'll withhold judgement on that) ship. Probably a bit of an overnerf, which is why it's getting a slight range buff next patch (500m iirc?)

Edited by Tyrendian89
  • Cool 1

[GOEPT]
[GOEPT]
Weekend Tester
544 posts
8,701 battles

it was a deliberate nerf of an overperforming (in the eyes of the devs, I'll withhold judgement on that) ship. Probably a bit of an overnerf, which is why it's getting a slight range buff next patch (500m iirc?)

oh, source on that?

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

Source: one of the Q&As with the Devs which was posted here on this board

The nerf was needed, as previously the Mogami was too strong, she was a monster in the hands of a capable player and even the lazy HE spammers could do well in her.

No cruiser should outrange the BBs at it's Tier.

• Citadels: basically like any other Cruiser; angle your ship, don't show broadsides
  • Regarding her range: she'll get more maybe, and with her range she's in line with the rest of the IJN Cruisers.
  • Detection Range: what? she has a base detection of 10.9km with the Concealment Module, which is the lowest detection range of all non-premium Tier VIII ships, and the second lowest including the Premium Tier VIII.
  • Commander Skills: wrong, you can skill her captain to be quite useful. I also assume you are refering to the AFT, BFT and EM skill nerfs, which was needed considering the how quite a number of Cruisers became way to strong - again mentioned by Devs in a Q&A
  • Turret traverse: yeah, it's bad. But with the HE spam she still can put out, you need something to balance her out.

My suggestion would be, to remove her 155mm completly

• Pay 2 win: Premiums are pay 2 win? That's a fairy tale told by envious people.  Non of the Premiums can be considered pay2win, none of them is so strong that this term can be applied.
  • Just because some Premiums are currently ahead of others - in statistiks of third party sites which partly only have 100k users registered - doesn't mean they are OP in any way

• Cool 5

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
773 posts
7,419 battles

The stealth of the mogami is massively underrated.

It more than makes up for the slightly shorter range imho.

By t8 you should be at or close to the t5 concealment skill.

And it's more than fast enough to control the engagement range. Anyone getting too close, you can send 16 torpedoes their way in short order.

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

All cruisers at tier 7-8 need a buff. Give them heals, like Atago.

Atago is not OP, I dont think they will be Either.

Modder, Supertester
1,235 posts
8,142 battles

The stealth of the mogami is massively underrated.

It more than makes up for the slightly shorter range imho.

By t8 you should be at or close to the t5 concealment skill.

And it's more than fast enough to control the engagement range. Anyone getting too close, you can send 16 torpedoes their way in short order.

TBH: I don't think that it's a good idea to balance a ship around a skill which is optional...
  • Cool 2

[GOEPT]
[GOEPT]
Weekend Tester
544 posts
8,701 battles

TBH: I don't think that it's a good idea to balance a ship around a skill which is optional...

And yet mogami most of her best OP suits where about commander skills, with are now been corrected.

[WGP2W]
Players
984 posts
10,091 battles

Hello, check this out: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/45569-bringbackaft-website-petition-closure/

Cheers,

~t3h'Pâr4d0x

[PRAVD]
Beta Tester
115 posts
4,365 battles

Mogami is crap now thanks to the changed commander skills  :T

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

Wrong, she ain't.

It's just that some people can't adjust to her slightly changed playstyle.

• Cool 1

[GOEPT]
[GOEPT]
Weekend Tester
544 posts
8,701 battles

Shes a good machine, and a deadly DD killer, although she been hammered down quite a bit and needs some adjustment, guess that 500 meters can help abit...

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

Nope, she's quite good with both gun types, though she can't spam that much HE without taking damage in return.

With her 203mm, she plays almost like an Atago minus the Torpedo arcs and with the 155mm she still wrecks DDs, though you need a bit of situational awareness, use the terrain and spec her to be the stealthy kind. Even cruisers can be cought off guard and take massive damage from her guns.

When played carefully, she still kicks [edited].

Edited by Jethro_Grey

Players
213 posts
53 battles

It is obvious with the changes that the 8" version which is what the real one was designed to be even though launched with the 6" guns is what WG wants to be the tier 8 mainstay. They should just drop the 6" option until the CL/CA split happens when the 6" version will likely go back to its original tier 7.

Beta Tester
128 posts
3,707 battles

I just recently unlocked Mogami, so I never played her during the AFT/BFT/EM 155mm era,meaning I haven't had to re-adapt playstyle, and I am doing quite ok with my standards. I am using 203mm guns. A 500m range buff sure wouldn't hurt though.

Edited by Nodorf_

Players
453 posts

Source: one of the Q&As with the Devs which was posted here on this board

The nerf was needed, as previously the Mogami was too strong, she was a monster in the hands of a capable player and even the lazy HE spammers could do well in her.

No cruiser should outrange the BBs at it's Tier.

• Citadels: basically like any other Cruiser; angle your ship, don't show broadsides [Mogami isn't really worse than most IJN CAs as far as citadeling goes, but that isn't a compliment. Good armor but big citadel]
  • Regarding her range: she'll get more maybe, and with her range she's in line with the rest of the IJN Cruisers. [umm... Ibuki 19.2km, Myoko 16.2km, Mogami 15.1km. Would you like a thermometer to check your body temperature?]
  • Detection Range: what? she has a base detection of 10.9km with the Concealment Module, which is the lowest detection range of all non-premium Tier VIII ships, and the second lowest including the Premium Tier VIII. [Agreed, she's a ninja cruiser. However, doesn't invalidate the OP's assertion that it's not enough to ninja to a DD. Of course, the assertion a cruiser should be able to ninja to a DD is ridiculous in itself given current game mechanics, so...]
  • Commander Skills: wrong, you can skill her captain to be quite useful. I also assume you are refering to the AFT, BFT and EM skill nerfs, which was needed considering the how quite a number of Cruisers became way to strong - again mentioned by Devs in a Q&A [Yes, AFT and BFT in particular were ridiculous. However, well, look at which ships got pre-buffed to account for losing the skills and which weren't. Seems paying grants you immunity to skill nerfs? Mogami in particular was nerfed to bedrock by every one of those skills since the primary configuration in player use, plus skill allocation, depended on all three of those skills actually working with the 155m guns. The 203mm guns being limited to 15km range (in part due to AFT) has always held that gun config back from consideration by most... and it should have been bloody obvious to WG that buffing Mogami range a bit when the skill got nerfed was blatantly justifiable no matter how overperforming the ship was otherwise. It's just ridiculous you go up a tier and lose a whole kilometer in gun range.]
  • Turret traverse: yeah, it's bad. But with the HE spam she still can put out, you need something to balance her out.

My suggestion would be, to remove her 155mm completly [Historically Mogamis were fitted with triple 155mms, though, to pass for light cruisers under the washington naval treaty. They kind of have to have that config available... not that I am suggesting they should be as good or better than the 203mm armed version. Alternatively we'd probably need a tier 7 Mogami with the 155mm...?]

• Pay 2 win: Premiums are pay 2 win? That's a fairy tale told by envious people.  Non of the Premiums can be considered pay2win, none of them is so strong that this term can be applied. [No, but some have clearly consistently overperformed and WG doesn't seem at all bothered by it, plus it seems if you pay you're immune to nerfs. See Citadelovich as an example of a pre-buffed ship]
  • Just because some Premiums are currently ahead of others - in statistiks of third party sites which partly only have 100k users registered - doesn't mean they are OP in any way [if there's consistent data for 100k users then the data should be somewhat reliable. No, it won't be immune to biases but any major swing in performance due to gameplay changes will be captured there]

Boldiness.

• Cool 1

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
12,956 battles

Boldiness.

Mogami gets a 500m Range buff in 0.5.4 Myoko gets a 600m Range nerf

[SCRUB]
Players
1,988 posts

IMO only thing Mogami needs is turret traverse time of 155mm equal to its 203mm guns. Surely could use slightly better AA armament and more hitpoints for its turrets, but other then that it is still fun ship to play.

[S0F]
Beta Tester
163 posts
6,416 battles

It's also odd how the Atago with the exact same guns as the 203 Mogami has 0.7km greater range...

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

It's also odd how the Atago with the exact same guns as the 203 Mogami has 0.7km greater range...

Well, the patch was recently applied and we know the Mogami will get her range buffed.

You can pretend that the Crew needs to adjust to the different specs of the ship and the range is thus decreased. :P

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

Pretty much a useless cruiser inferior to the other T8 crusiers.

A matter for discussion, I think. The Mogami is certainly not performing as well as it used to, according to the Warships Today stats - but it is not the worst.

Here is the data showing ALL battles, data from the last two weeks, and the difference in average damage.

Ship All Battles Win % Av Damage 2 weeks Win % Av Damage Damg Diff
Mikhail Kutuzov  69,962 53% 36,963 9,025 55% 40,974 4,011
Atago  621,723 48% 33,864 28,946 54% 40,148 6,284
Mogami  422,985 52% 42,262 24,795 52% 35,695 -6,567
Admiral Hipper  156,926 51% 34,692 23,181 51% 34,493 -199
New Orleans  267,096 49% 31,970 18,093 50% 32,172 202

[PRAVD]
Beta Tester
115 posts
4,365 battles

Wrong, she ain't.

It's just that some people can't adjust to her slightly changed playstyle.

With commander skills the fireing range of the 155 was something just over 18km. Sure the range was great but hitting something was not easy but at least it gave the ship room to fight higher tier ships and some even-lower tier ships that have greater range of 15km. Now the range is 15.1km meaning you can't effectively pepper battleships with HE shells because a salvo or two from the BB can and WILL kill you and every cruiser can and will return fire at you. Trading shots is not this ship's strong point so against most cruisers it will lose duels. 

It used to be a good ship, now it's meh and can be good only in a few specific situations.

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

With commander skills the fireing range of the 155 was something just over 18km. Sure the range was great but hitting something was not easy but at least it gave the ship room to fight higher tier ships and some even-lower tier ships that have greater range of 15km. Now the range is 15.1km meaning you can't effectively pepper battleships with HE shells because a salvo or two from the BB can and WILL kill you and every cruiser can and will return fire at you. Trading shots is not this ship's strong point so against most cruisers it will lose duels. 

It used to be a good ship, now it's meh and can be good only in a few specific situations.

That is most likely the reason she wasn nerfed in the first place, but i can understand why folks say she's weak.

Well, weak is not correct, she certainly can still dish out - weaker then before is more appropriate but certainly not UP.

I liked the Mogami a lot during the grind towards the Ibuki, because she could get very close to vulnerable ( DDs, CLs) targets and shred them point blank with guns or torps.

Or just pepper BBs from long range with minimal risk of return fire, which is quite frustrating to BB captains when the Mogami keeps the distance. ^^

I played her after the patch and i had basically the same results as before the patch, damage and kill wise.

But then, i used her range advantage only to farm fire damage on BBs or to soften up enemy CLs/ CAs.

Since i usually was somewhere between 12 and 14km from targets away, i didn't feel the nerf as much as others did.

As mentioned previously, she needed to be nerfed but she surely ain't no weak ship and with the range buff she gets, she'll get a pita again.

Now that i bought the premium camo for her i feel sad, first the camo is not as nice as the Atago camo and far more important is, i don't have a skilled enough captain for her as the previous one is sitting in the Ibuki. As soon my Aoba Captain is leveled enough, i'll switch him to the Mogami.  :(

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this