Projectiles technical question

5 comments in this topic

Question

[WIND]
Players
4 posts
3,107 battles

Hello.

This MIGHT sound weird but hell; these questions are aimed primarily towards WarGaming itself.

Basically I would like to ask the following question: in game's engine are projectiles influenced by air drag, and are projectiles considered 'vectors' [or basically volumeless dots with speed, with just a 'virtual' drag force that should technically affect this bullet] or are they actual 3 dimensional objects actually affected by drag and their shape?

I am aware of how penetration mechanics is analyzed, however same penetration system can be done in both vector and actual 3d object; I do however expect them to be not influenced by drag, and considered just a vectors; could you please confirm or deny my susicions?

[Technically I could try to analyze it step-by-step using maths and frame-by-frame analysis, but I'd rather not have to do that].
I must admit I'm considering creation of small youtube video explaining basics of ballistics in World of Warships and how that can be used :)

Thanks a ton

4 answers to this question

[WIND]
Players
4 posts
3,107 battles

While wind is not included, I'd like official confirmation of air drag aspect; also - we are ot sure if this is like WoT, despite being able to suspect it; That's why this question is for ;)

[NED]
Players
4,194 posts
11,706 battles

I'm not completely sure but IMO they projectiles are 3d shapes. Are you familiar with RNG? (I don't want to open the debate of how we think about that: there's more than enough elsewhere.) In short: this is meant for the simulation aspect of the game: wave rocking, weather influence, manufacturing aspects a.s.o. Would they introduce all those aspects separately it would change the entire game as it is. F.e.: you don't see your crosshair move up and down when tunnelvisioning: it remains completely steady. The wave rocking is compensated with RNG.

As far as I have figured out the fired projectiles are being calculated wheter or not it is a hit and after that a RNG algorithm goes over it in order to determ the effect of the shot. Although there's 1 vid in circulation of a cruiser who actually misses a destroyer but still manage to detonate him. I can't explain that phenomenon by using the 3d model...

Don't know if my answer is helpfull (maths/ physics weren't my strongest subjects @ school and univ)

[WIND]
Players
4 posts
3,107 battles

Thanks, and sorry for late response - that's true; RNG fixes most of issues, but one, and yet crucial when it comes to ballistics:

Wether range is calculated simply as initial velocity multiplied times time in flight, OR it is slowed down movement where it's actually initial velocity times time, minus deacceleration force [wind drag] times same time.

It hanges optimal [longest possible] shooting angle from low angle [32-ish] to easy 45 degrees, and changes slightly dispersion calculation I wanted to get to :); Well I guess it's replay messing time.

Sign in to follow this