4 comments in this topic

Players
1 post
164 battles

Hey. I've been playing a lot of USSR destroyers and so far I've reached t4. I think they are fun to play but a serious pain in the [edited]because of low detectability range and unusable torpedoes. My main problem though is that the stats say that the maximum damage I can do on HE is 1500 and on AP is 1800 and, if i'm lucky i only get about 400-500 on both of them. And I aim of the center of the ship too, and my hits mostly land there, so am I doing something wrong? Please help! Maybe I just suck and in that case, how can I improve.

Also so far, I've found that there is literally NO advantage to playing with USSR destroyers as opposed to other destroyers. Is that true? 

[BLOBS]
Community Contributor
921 posts
3,733 battles

The max damage stated is the damage the shell will do if you hit and penetrate the citadel, the most vital section of the ship. Typically, HE will never manage this (Battleship HE could against cruisers, and cruiser HE vs an aircraft carrier can do it). AP is a bit easier to understand; You will do 10% of the AP max damage if the shot overpens (the shell travels straight through the ship without detonating inside), 33% of the max damage for a normal penetrating shot and 100% of max damage if you pen the citadel.

It's good to learn the armour of ships, as you can then decide which ammo you should be using. For destroyers though, HE will do the job almost all the time. However if going against a battleship, aim for the superstructure on the top of the ship, not it's main belt armour as you'll never do damage against that.

• Cool 2

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,752 posts
6,882 battles

33% of the max damage for a normal penetrating shot

Wow I did not know that, and always wondered why the damage could be seen as random...:hiding:

Well you learn something new everyday.

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

The max damage stated is the damage the shell will do if you hit and penetrate the citadel, the most vital section of the ship. Typically, HE will never manage this (Battleship HE could against cruisers, and cruiser HE vs an aircraft carrier can do it).

Lowest carriers (especially USN ones) are easy to citadel with DD HEs.

Bogue is really nice for that when having side visible.

Langley is annoying with it's open hangar deck "leaking" shells through. (though engine room/citadel is more in rear)

Against anything with some armor HE should be aimed at deck and superstructure.

Also bow and stern can be lightly armored, and those are two of the four spots you can set fire in BBs. (two or three fire makes good BBQ)

Some cruisers like Furutaka have annoyingly armor in most places mostly negating low caliber HE damage.

Bouncing AP does zero damage.

Like non-penetrating AP hitting too thick armor.

130mm AP you get at tier V is very nice for side showing cruisers.

From perfect straight angle Kuma takes citadel hits up to 10km, Phoenix and Omaha up to 9km.

Because of second sloped armor Königsberg is more specific on hitting point but also it can be citadelled to similar range.

Furutaka and Aoba can be citadelled from 7km.

Nearing 5km you get penetrations from also non straight angle and at point blank range lightly armored cruisers need heavy angling.