You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
StringWitch

Replacing Pensacola with Northampton

53 comments in this topic

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,465 posts

Wouldn't Northampton's heavier armour make the slot of USN tier 7 CA a bit more competitive? Maybe it wouldn't make much difference, but people's problem with Pensacola seems to be that she's a gunfighter that can't stand up in a gunfight. Even though Northampton has one less gun, a replacement like this might be a net gain considering that dispersion and rate of fire can be arbitrated by WG to compensate anyway. Just a thought.

Edited by StringWitch

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,538 posts
8,138 battles

There are lots of similar questions we could be asking. Like why do we have Kagero at tier 9 instead of Yugumo?

We'll probably never get an answer.

Players
371 posts
6,661 battles

Because is possible to get secondary branches.I heard a long time ago some extra 3 ships on the us cruiser line starting from cleveland.

[HOME]
Players
787 posts
7,636 battles

There are lots of similar questions we could be asking. Like why do we have Kagero at tier 9 instead of Yugumo?

We'll probably never get an answer.

werent yugumos just a repeat of kagero class with a bit more AA but otherwise the same ship? On the other hand northampton class was different from pepsi in many ways... Imho pensa could even be a T6.... We will see what happens when they split US cruisers into light and heavy lines

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,538 posts
8,138 battles

werent yugumos just a repeat of kagero class with a bit more AA but otherwise the same ship? On the other hand northampton class was different from pepsi in many ways... Imho pensa could even be a T6.... We will see what happens when they split US cruisers into light and heavy lines

What we currently have is this, AA-wise:

• Mutsuki - 22 x 25 mm & 2 x 120 mm
  • Hatsuharu - 25 x 25 mm & 4 x 127 mm
  • Fubuki - 20 x 25 mm & 6 x 127 mm
  • Kagero - 19 x 25 mm
  • Shimakaze - 22 x 25 mm & 6 x 127 mm

I think you might see the problem.

So why don't we instead of the Kagero have:

• Yugumo - 20 x 25 mm & 6 x 127 mm

...which is identical to the Kagero in every other way?

Edited by Nechrom

Beta Tester
4,100 posts
732 battles

Wouldn't Northampton's heavier armour make the slot of USN tier 7 CA a bit more competitive? Maybe it wouldn't make much difference, but people's problem with Pensacola seems to be that she's a gunfighter that can't stand up in a gunfight. Even though Northampton has one less gun, a replacement like this might be a net gain considering that dispersion and rate of fire can be arbitrated by WG to compensate anyway. Just a thought.

The increase in armor protection of the Northampton is really marginal, and those ships were almost as "cardboard"-y as the Pensacolas.

In my opinion, not worth it.

Players
4,039 posts
7,546 battles

Only Pensacola issue is ridiculous spotting range. That and preceding ship, Cleveland which set up expectations high.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
773 posts
7,511 battles

Only Pensacola issue is ridiculous spotting range. That and preceding ship, Cleveland which set up expectations high.

This, exactly this.

Beta Tester
135 posts
3,810 battles

Because is possible to get secondary branches.I heard a long time ago some extra 3 ships on the us cruiser line starting from cleveland.

Actually if another line comes it will be CL line and Cleveland will(should) jump to tier 8/9. then Pensacola should end up at tier 6 and tier 7 we should get Northampton it will solve some things and put US line in similarity with tier/production time of other nations (maybe except some soviet ships).

Beta Tester
4,100 posts
732 battles

Actually if another line comes it will be CL line and Cleveland will(should) jump to tier 8/9. then Pensacola should end up at tier 6 and tier 7 we should get Northampton it will solve some things and put US line in similarity with tier/production time of other nations (maybe except some soviet ships).

Wouldn't that mean that the Pensacola would be in the same tier as the Aoba and the Nürnberg? In my opinion, she's way superior to both.

Players
391 posts

Wouldn't that mean that the Pensacola would be in the same tier as the Aoba and the Nürnberg? In my opinion, she's way superior to both.

The NA server discussed this. There are quite a few paper designs that can fit T6. 

http://shipscribe.com/styles/S-584/albums/s584-cr.htm

I think in game, we also have (via extended tech tree) a 8 gun version of the Pensacola w. torpedo tubes. Which would probably fit T6 nicely. 

Players
131 posts
2,810 battles

soft stats and the like would be used to balance down the Pepsi, though now that I have a few upgrades I'm starting to really like the shipship at 7 anyway

Beta Tester
4,100 posts
732 battles

The NA server discussed this. There are quite a few paper designs that can fit T6. 

http://shipscribe.com/styles/S-584/albums/s584-cr.htm

I think in game, we also have (via extended tech tree) a 8 gun version of the Pensacola w. torpedo tubes. Which would probably fit T6 nicely. 

soft stats and the like would be used to balance down the Pepsi, though now that I have a few upgrades I'm starting to really like the shipship at 7 anyway

If there is a design with fewer guns, I'd go for that. The ten-gun Pensacola would be a pity to nerf it into an inferior Tier.

[ST-EU]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
1,902 posts
3,688 battles

Pensacola is fine at tier 7, at tier 6 she would be overpowered.

Northampton should be a tier 7 as well leading another Heavy Cruiser Line. 

Northampton > Wichita > Oregon City > Design CA-B (Buffalo)

When the CL line comes around, Cleveland should be the tier 8 with:

Brooklyn > Cleveland > Worcester > Vallejo (Worcester Triple turrets)

The tier 6 space should be filled with a prototype Pensacola design. One of them, there are many to choose from.

Other alternatives are flipping it around, so the Northampton family are together, and Pensacola leads to larger Pensacola Designs. This leaves Wichita as a tier 8 premium, which she is an ideal candidate for.

"Design C1" 7 gun Pensacola > Pensacola     > "Sketch A"12 gun Pensacola > Oregon City > Design CA-B 

> Northampton > New Orleans                         > Baltimore     > Des Moines

> Brooklyn        > Cleveland                              >  Worcester   > Worcester Triple Turrets

• Cool 1

Players
131 posts
2,810 battles

If there is a design with fewer guns, I'd go for that. The ten-gun Pensacola would be a pity to nerf it into an inferior Tier.

agreed, the only part of the Pepsi that grinds is being spotted from the moon on tiny maps.

Beta Tester
4,100 posts
732 battles

agreed, the only part of the Pepsi that grinds is being spotted from the moon on tiny maps.

That's true, I have to admit. Back in Beta, I had reached the Pensa, and it didn't strike to me as a particularly bad ship. I surely appreciated the firepower, but I also sure noticed the fact that I was spotted with frightening ease, so I quickly learnt to hold back and not go first.

[ST-EU]
1,902 posts
3,688 battles

That's true, I have to admit. Back in Beta, I had reached the Pensa, and it didn't strike to me as a particularly bad ship. I surely appreciated the firepower, but I also sure noticed the fact that I was spotted with frightening ease, so I quickly learnt to hold back and not go first.

One drawback of having a ridiculously tall tripod mast. The same applies to Northampton though.

Beta Tester
4,100 posts
732 battles

One drawback of having a ridiculously tall tripod mast. The same applies to Northampton though.

Right.

About the Northampton, I first learned about it by reading Herman Wouk's books. In there, it's described as an "overgrown destroyer".

Now, in honour of "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance", I'd be happy to sail it, but I expect it to be more or less what the Pensacola is. Not a beast ready to charge at the enemy, but a cautious hunter, waiting for the right opportunity.

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,210 posts
3,266 battles

If the detection range is really based on the mast height, I don't even know what to say...

Players
165 posts
4,747 battles

If the detection range is really based on the mast height, I don't even know what to say...

Yes it is, but can be set independently, IIRC. Spotting range is my only issue with this ship.

Also if leaks are true, new radar consumable = tier8+. If so, Pensacola has drawbacks of having radar, but no advantages.

[ST-EU]
1,902 posts
3,688 battles

Well, depending on how big it is, something like Warspite's mast is not counted I think, since it is thinner, but Northampton and Pensacola have thick masts with large structures on the top of them, which is what makes the difference.

[HOME]
Players
787 posts
7,636 battles

What we currently have is this, AA-wise:

• Mutsuki - 22 x 25 mm & 2 x 120 mm
  • Hatsuharu - 25 x 25 mm & 4 x 127 mm
  • Fubuki - 20 x 25 mm & 6 x 127 mm
  • Kagero - 19 x 25 mm
  • Shimakaze - 22 x 25 mm & 6 x 127 mm

I think you might see the problem.

So why don't we instead of the Kagero have:

• Yugumo - 20 x 25 mm & 6 x 127 mm

...which is identical to the Kagero in every other way?

Werent those DP guns pretty much useless against planes anyway? they have pretty horrible in-game DPS too...i can see where youre heading with this but i doubt the extra what...30? DPS would make it a better ship

Imho having the CA line start at T6 instead of T7 would also make the transition to a different playstyle easier...the main problem is that pensa is completely different from all the preceding ships in that tree but sits at a tier where its quite tough to learn new stuff...

Just look how much hate Furutaka gets despite being a solid ship now after the buffs...and it sits are a relatively noob-friendly tier 5...

Players
1,130 posts
2,359 battles

Imho having the CA line start at T6 instead of T7 would also make the transition to a different playstyle easier...the main problem is that pensa is completely different from all the preceding ships in that tree but sits at a tier where its quite tough to learn new stuff...

Just look how much hate Furutaka gets despite being a solid ship now after the buffs...and it sits are a relatively noob-friendly tier 5...

Having the CAs begin at T6 is a good idea to get players used to playing as them, particularly once the Cleveland gets put into the upper tiers in a CL line, however the Pensacola itself is far too powerful for T6. You can't really compare the Pensacola to the poor little Aoba, as the Aoba has notably worse AA and significantly fewer guns. Instead, it would be better to include one of the design preliminaries that served as an intermediate between the Omaha and the Pensacola, while one of the 6" Omaha successors could then be used to begin the CL line.

• Cool 1